The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Weeknd - My Dear Melancholy, (Production talk) Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The Weeknd - My Dear Melancholy, (Production talk)

So, The Weeknd has come out again to prove himself as most likely the most interesting pop artist to come out in the last 15 years.

Thought about creating this thread so we could all discuss some production techniques on we hear on it.

Production credits mention Frank Dukes, Nicolas Jaar, Mike Will Made It, Guy from Daft Punk and Geffalstein (actually credited as a feature)

What I find interesting about it is that the reverberation sounds cohesive throughout, is it possible the reverbs were all added or at least traded for the same units in the mixing stage so all the songs would sound the same?

He used Frank Dukes for that purpose when it comes to textures, for example, running soft synths thru analog gear or even recreate them with analog synths.

And still about the reverbs: how the **** do they do it? It sounds so good.

Any fav tracks?

(to the mods: it's stuff like this that makes sense creating a chat thread, like i've been suggesting, discussing production on new releases or just stuff we're listening to, without the need of opening yet another thread, would make sense in there. A chat thread with a minimum post count availability, to avoid spam, would make the board more dynamic).
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The production to me just sounds artistic. He does a lot of what people tell you not too here. The decay on the reverb is long, plus its a very wet mix on the vocals. There are bits of distortion and a lot of parts just sounds like someone was having fun with the effects for feel. The 808 drums are compressed a lot. I think what makes his music is he is just a great singer. The melody and his voice make all the tracks.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Very nice EP. Was surprised to see that jaycen joshua mixed it instead of serban ghenea considering the fact that he (serban) mixed most of the tracks on starboy, but maybe he wanted a new sound this time. Jaycen did a great job fave track is call out my name
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axetheman View Post
Very nice EP. Was surprised to see that jaycen joshua mixed it instead of serban ghenea considering the fact that he (serban) mixed most of the tracks on starboy, but maybe he wanted a new sound this time. Jaycen did a great job fave track is call out my name

Jaycen worked on Trilogy, i think that's why he got him, to get those vibes.

Which again makes me think if he "curated" the reverbs throughout the EP
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
lets not forget skrillex (he produced my fav track personally, "wasted times" with frank dukes) that vocal chop at the end where he used his breaths as a uk garage shaker is insane.

i been watching jaycens instagram a lot because he gives tips, and i remember him mentioning that ~500hz was like "the magical glue frequency" (he's cryptic on purpose so i might be wrong) but i've been using this tape as reference tracks and it seems like that general lower mid area is well well furnished, the tracks sound really round and in your face

I think i've heard them mention on pensados place that they love the bricasti, maybe thats what he used ("them" being jaycen and mr pensado)
i checked his gear on his site, says he has a m7, a lexicon pcm42, a rmx16, some ****ty (im assuming, its 120$ on reverb lol) yamaha reverb called rev5, eventide dsp 7000 and a tc electronic fireworx. to my ears his vocals sound lexicon ish on call out my name, but im probably wrong, i dont have the pro ears yet, also maybe he got some new gear.

i think the reverbs sound so good because he left a lot of space for em, it seems like he mixes the sounds where they take up the inner half the stereo space, and he just fills the outer half with the reverb and smaller sounds.

just my 2 cents, i hope this thread flourishes, i really like this ep, and i find this stuff fascinating, im a producer but i'm obsessed with making my mixes better and engineering in general
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfilipee View Post
Jaycen worked on Trilogy, i think that's why he got him, to get those vibes.

Which again makes me think if he "curated" the reverbs throughout the EP
That’s cool I did not know that! It makes total sense now haha! Yeah makes sense that he would have chosen the same reverb for at least the vocal to put the Ep in the same space
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Sounds like most of his other stuff. Same keys, similar melodies, lots of melodyne and reverb, block of cheese dynamics.

In today’s world where anyone can sound like this with the tools at our disposal, I care about how it translates to an on stage performance.

In a world where live performance is what generates the money, I cant understand why labels continue to push music and artists that dont translate to the real world. JMO.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtone View Post
Sounds like most of his other stuff. Same keys, similar melodies, lots of melodyne and reverb, block of cheese dynamics.

In today’s world where anyone can sound like this with the tools at our disposal, I care about how it translates to an on stage performance.

In a world where live performance is what generates the money, I cant understand why labels continue to push music and artists that dont translate to the real world. JMO.
Thats a fair assessment however I enjoy artists that don't translate to the real world, I think there will be a lack of creativity and innovation if everyone tried to achieve that particular goal.

This is also an EP, which leaves room for experimentation and touching fundamentals, no rules or standards, I am sure he can care less whether to perform these songs or not.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

He plays with a band and headlines festivals all over the world.

He's actually great live too.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
He plays with a band and headlines festivals all over the world.

He's actually great live too.
“Great”

He and 95% of the analytical social media concocted major label products are as mediocre as they come talent wise.

You dont need to be extremely talented to be an artist in 2018; production tools are so incredibly powerful.

Same keys, same intervals and range, same tempos, four chord vamps, nasal autotune. There is nothing special about this.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

This is a thread to discuss the production techniques used on his new ep, why come here with all this hate? If you don’t like it you don’t have to listen to it, it’s that simple man
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
“Great”

He and 95% of the analytical social media concocted major label products are as mediocre as they come talent wise.

You dont need to be extremely talented to be an artist in 2018; production tools are so incredibly powerful.

Same keys, same intervals and range, same tempos, four chord vamps, nasal autotune. There is nothing special about this.
some of you can't help it on this forum, y'all just gotta be old farts
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
It's cleaner sounding than HOB. But this really doesn't do anything new, no new ground, it sounds like a typical Weeknd EP. A lot of people have copied the Toronto R&B style so it doesn't sound so fresh anymore. One positive is that maybe the themes are a little more realistic, he seems to be singing about his relationships with the Hadid chick and Selena Gomez, rather than the complete made up fantasy of his other records. XXXtenacion came out in the same week and is more creative in his singing and melodies.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

He is one of the few artists who sounds great live
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Jaycen Joshua (mixing engineer) just said on IG all the vocals are bit crushed to 14 bit
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Jaycen Joshua (mixing engineer) just said on IG all the vocals are bit crushed to 14 bit
Dude! Lol took my comment
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin III View Post
Dude! Lol took my comment
is this true or is this trolling?

...the 14 bit part
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxnylrules View Post
lets not forget skrillex (he produced my fav track personally, "wasted times" with frank dukes) that vocal chop at the end where he used his breaths as a uk garage shaker is insane.

i been watching jaycens instagram a lot because he gives tips, and i remember him mentioning that ~500hz was like "the magical glue frequency" (he's cryptic on purpose so i might be wrong) but i've been using this tape as reference tracks and it seems like that general lower mid area is well well furnished, the tracks sound really round and in your face

I think i've heard them mention on pensados place that they love the bricasti, maybe thats what he used ("them" being jaycen and mr pensado)
i checked his gear on his site, says he has a m7, a lexicon pcm42, a rmx16, some ****ty (im assuming, its 120$ on reverb lol) yamaha reverb called rev5, eventide dsp 7000 and a tc electronic fireworx. to my ears his vocals sound lexicon ish on call out my name, but im probably wrong, i dont have the pro ears yet, also maybe he got some new gear.
I mixed "wasted times" with skrill... jaycen took our highly consolidated mix stems (think "drums", "bass", "synths", "vocals" lol) and turned up the vocals a little. we got screwed on the mix credit. the vocal verb was just the stock ableton reverb with the decay turned up a bit!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkung View Post
is this true or is this trolling?

...the 14 bit part
I don't see why he would lie. It's something usually done on all other elements so they might have tried it on the vocals too. Plus you can hear the noise rumbling under the vocals.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmic5 View Post
I mixed "wasted times" with skrill... jaycen took our highly consolidated mix stems (think "drums", "bass", "synths", "vocals" lol) and turned up the vocals a little. we got screwed on the mix credit. the vocal verb was just the stock ableton reverb with the decay turned up a bit!

damn that sucks, when did y'all do it? there are rumours it's actually a track from 2014 that he just went back to now for this EP

Last edited by sfilipee; 1 week ago at 07:44 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmic5 View Post
no ****! thanks for sharing bro, i hope you get your due credit and get paid
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

why doesent Weeknd **** with Illangelo anymore?

weeknd and drake are at a status where they can repeat what they been doing and still make a **** ton of money off their work.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

bump
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by varun213 View Post
why doesent Weeknd **** with Illangelo anymore?

weeknd and drake are at a status where they can repeat what they been doing and still make a **** ton of money off their work.
What about Doc
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
What about Doc
whos DOC?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by varun213 View Post
whos DOC?
Doc McKinney
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Doc McKinney
He's on Pray for You, for the Black Panther soundtrack

Something tells me that's what the next album will sound like.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search