The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NI MK3 vs MPC Live Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 28th March 2018
Here for the gear

NI MK3 vs MPC Live

Heyo its me again,

yeah I know you'll probably rage at me for making a thread about the more-or-less same topic twice... But man, I'm just a very conflicted person!

So I got the MPC Live, just layin around in a gigbag doing nothing really, and one of my friends wants a Live and I'm just tempted to sell it to him...
The thing is, I don't really dig the whole process on the MPC, the FX especially dont do it for me, also I dont like AKAIs product policy and the software (especially on the PC) seems laggy and unfinished to me... On the other hand I see many forum posts and people on Youtube claiming that the Live is way more feature packed, easier to work with than the MK3 and so on... Should I keep it? Man Im so torn! Everyday I change my opinion at least 2 times weither Ill keep or sell the Live...

(Im doing mostly lofi/boom bap btw just that u know, a little trap from time to time too)

So I was thinking maybe I should sell it, go MK3 and for my standalone purposes maybe get a SP404? I mean I could use the MK3 most the time for my PC work and also get the awesome sound libary with it and still have the standalone vibe when using the SP404... What do you guys think? Am I going to dumb another hundreds of dollars?

I also thought about just getting Komplete, some midi thing and thats it software wise... man i just dont know...

Until this day 99% of my beats have been made in FL Studio, but I'm kinda bored by FL and want to move forward or try something new... The MPC really didnt do it for me and I'm afraid that my next investment will be a mistake again...

OR MAYBE I SHOULD BUY A MPC2500 AND SELL THE LIVE AND BUY KOMPLETE AND A MIDI AHHHH IDK

Greetings, gheddi

Last edited by gheddi; 29th March 2018 at 12:29 AM.. Reason: More information
Old 29th March 2018
Lives for gear

Stop spending more money. Its not the tools.
Old 29th March 2018
Gear Addict

Getting a sampler or groovebox is like learning a language. Some days you are on it and other days you are left out in the clouds. On days you can't create anything try to deconstruct or reconstruct someone else's patterns. You could also watch more tutuorials on the box you are using. I think mpc-forums makes an ebook with projects for the live. I've been using MPCs for 13 years now and even the mpc tutor books add insight to stuff I already know. If you are just hoarding around gear you are just avoiding making music and learning your craft. I only get 30 minutes a day to write and I make use of it.

If you want to blow your money on something get formal mix tutorials on puremix.net. It can cost as much as 30 a month or 22 a month if you prepay for the year and you get a lot of good strategies with using stock plugins.
Old 29th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gheddi View Post
Heyo its me again,

yeah I know you'll probably rage at me for making a thread about the more-or-less same topic twice... But man, I'm just a very conflicted person!

So I got the MPC Live, just layin around in a gigbag doing nothing really, and one of my friends wants a Live and I'm just tempted to sell it to him...
The thing is, I don't really dig the whole process on the MPC, the FX especially dont do it for me, also I dont like AKAIs product policy and the software (especially on the PC) seems laggy and unfinished to me... On the other hand I see many forum posts and people on Youtube claiming that the Live is way more feature packed, easier to work with than the MK3 and so on... Should I keep it? Man Im so torn! Everyday I change my opinion at least 2 times weither Ill keep or sell the Live...

(Im doing mostly lofi/boom bap btw just that u know, a little trap from time to time too)

So I was thinking maybe I should sell it, go MK3 and for my standalone purposes maybe get a SP404? I mean I could use the MK3 most the time for my PC work and also get the awesome sound libary with it and still have the standalone vibe when using the SP404... What do you guys think? Am I going to dumb another hundreds of dollars?

I also thought about just getting Komplete, some midi thing and thats it software wise... man i just dont know...

Until this day 99% of my beats have been made in FL Studio, but I'm kinda bored by FL and want to move forward or try something new... The MPC really didnt do it for me and I'm afraid that my next investment will be a mistake again...

OR MAYBE I SHOULD BUY A MPC2500 AND SELL THE LIVE AND BUY KOMPLETE AND A MIDI AHHHH IDK

Greetings, gheddi
Get a Maschine mk3 if you need a groove box format or get Ableton and just be done with it (you wont want anything more except maybe a Push2)
Old 29th March 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Karloff View Post
Stop spending more money. Its not the tools.
yeah yeah i know, its not the gear, its the artist... I totally get that, still they're selling 4000 dollar preamps to people... why that? Because gear plays a certail role...

I wanna feel comfortable making beats, so I wanna know whats the great differences featurewise between AKAIs MPC Live and NI's MK3, aside the obvious standalone vs. controller thing. What speaks for which? If I would go MK3 I would also probably purchase the SP404 because it's a great thing for lofi this or that way I considered getting it long time ago... I would have the MK3/Komplete for my PC stuff that would be a more versatile setup and the SP for standalone lofiness... Idk though, maybe I'm missing out something on the Live that speaks for it... Thats why Im here

also because Im very conflicted and dont know maybe you got some tips...
Old 29th March 2018
Lives for gear

If you want to get comfortable. Pick a tool and learn it inside and out. Learn the key commands, the shortcuts, workflow tricks.
The preamp analogy doesn't work.
I use xyz preamp because it allows me to dial in the tone im after fast. Most professionals chose the tools that make thier job easier, not just because they want something new. The latter is the easiest way to spot a non proffesional. Buy something new when you have know for sure how and when it will benifit you.
Old 29th March 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Karloff View Post
If you want to get comfortable. Pick a tool and learn it inside and out. Learn the key commands, the shortcuts, workflow tricks.
The preamp analogy doesn't work.
I use xyz preamp because it allows me to dial in the tone im after fast. Most professionals chose the tools that make thier job easier, not just because they want something new. The latter is the easiest way to spot a non proffesional. Buy something new when you have know for sure how and when it will benifit you.
Wow okay sounds like alot of fun.....
I just dislike the workflow on the MPC Live and therefor will sell it...
I didnt get an answer to my question (MPC Live vs NI Maschine) instead I just got to know how unprofessional I am and that my analogies dont work blah blah yeah right forget it
Old 29th March 2018
To the most part most producers are going to have a preference for the workflow of either Maschine or MPC. If you've tried MPC and you're not feeling it, and it's not inspiring you, then I think you've already made up your mind. Sell the MPC and move on. It doesn't guarantee that you'll be better on Maschine, but only you will know that, after spending some time with it. But also as mentioned previously you have to be prepared to learn how to get what you want out of any device, they are so featured these days, and tend to use their own language, so it's not just a case of install and go. There are plenty of Youtube tutorials on using either.
Old 29th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow okay sounds like alot of fun.....
I just dislike the workflow on the MPC Live and therefor will sell it...
I didnt get an answer to my question (MPC Live vs NI Maschine) instead I just got to know how unprofessional I am and that my analogies dont work blah blah yeah right forget it
Make as many ill informed purchase decisions as you want. It's your money.
Old 30th March 2018
Lives for gear

I don't understand. If you don't like the MPC, than sell it. If you don't like the Maschine, then sell it. Find what you're comfortable with.

I would agree that Ableton w/ a decent controller might be a better bet for you. My guess is that going from fruity loops to any stand-alone type hardware is going to be a difficult and disappointing jump, likely no matter what.
Old 31st March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
yeah yeah i know, its not the gear, its the artist... I totally get that, still they're selling 4000 dollar preamps to people... why that? Because gear plays a certail role...

I wanna feel comfortable making beats, so I wanna know whats the great differences featurewise between AKAIs MPC Live and NI's MK3, aside the obvious standalone vs. controller thing. What speaks for which? If I would go MK3 I would also probably purchase the SP404 because it's a great thing for lofi this or that way I considered getting it long time ago... I would have the MK3/Komplete for my PC stuff that would be a more versatile setup and the SP for standalone lofiness... Idk though, maybe I'm missing out something on the Live that speaks for it... Thats why Im here

Gear plays a certain role, but at the same time indecisiveness over what gear one should be using is usually the number one culprit for disrupting their ability to get sh*t done.

Getting to that place of true comfort simply comes from a continued, prolonged use of whatever gear you have.

As someone who owns multiple similar products from both companies, I've come to a point where I could use either or and still feel "as comfortable". There is and will probably never will be a single favorite for my needs.

Most of the other working professionals that I collaborate with who own a Maschine or an MPC also own and use multiple products from both companies, for reasons similar to mine I would assume. So my advice would be to buy the other if you're still curious about it. If you then feel there is too much redundancy between both of the products you own, or you just don't like one of them in comparison to the other, sell off the one you feel you can live without. At least then you would have your own personal understanding of the differences and similarities between the two, which is far better than sifting through pages of fanboy drivel on the internet and trying to come to a conclusion based on that alone.

That route will cost you a bit more money, but you'll be gaining a wealth of experience that in my honest opinion, outweighs the value of the money being spent for someone who is serious about their craft, whether it be just a hobby or their profession. Good luck.
Old 4th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Heyo its me again,

Greetings, gheddi

I have Maschine mk3 and it’s OK. For what it does it is good but honestly I prefer Ableton Push2 and Live Suite mainly because I invested a lot of time in Ableton and it has a better workflow for sequencing.

That said I like the Maschine sounds better and they have great expansion libraries.
Old 13th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Heyo its me again,

Greetings, gheddi
so what did you end up doing?
Old 11th July 2018
Lives for gear

Don't get sp-404. No pitching samples, time stretch, various other brutal limitations (no separate outs, rca cables etc.)
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by killa ego View Post
Don't get sp-404. No pitching samples, time stretch, various other brutal limitations (no separate outs, rca cables etc.)
Its a great little unit tho.
Old 16th July 2018
Gear Maniac

MPC any f***in' day.

I HATE that other controller...... ...... .....
Old 21st July 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Heyo its me again,

Greetings, gheddi
I have the mk3.

It is nice but not an mpc in workflow. That said if you have NI Complete it works well with it.

I used a software mpc. It had that simple mpc workflow I like but I don't think it was that CPU efficient but then again it could have been the person's computer I was using.
Old 22nd July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

If you have at least given the MPC a chance but aren't feeling it then yeah, just sell it and try Maschine or Live. One of them should feel 'right' for how you like to work.

Personally I love Maschine, and work in it standalone all day along with a Komplete Kontrol Mk2 and a Jam.

I was thinking about getting a SP404 for a while to run my beats through to get it's lofi vibe, and I like a couple of its effects. However Maschine's now got the effect I most wanted in it's touch strip controlled Perform FX in the form of Stutter. It's even better than the SP404 one IMO.

As for that lovely dirty lofi vinyl sim compression the SP404 is so loved for, Goodhertz Vulf VST Compressor is modelled after it, but you get much more control over just how lofi it is which is great. It's been on my mixbus for many months now.

As for vinyl noise and a lot lot more, look no further than RC-20 Retro Color by XLN Audio. A must for lofi or vintage sounding producers.
Old 22nd July 2018
Lives for gear

if the maschine had the mpc sequencer it would be dope!
Old 25th July 2018
Gear Nut

Both are great controllers but both respective software apps have their problems.

Besides the controllers themselves one should consider:

Akai seems to be more eager to fix stuff and does it faster.
The Akai people are more responsive to feedback from what I've heard and their community is bigger.

NI is not very responsive to feedback but because of the relatively small community you have a real chance that your complaint/suggestion can lead to a change in the next update (those are very rare tho and software dev is slow).

You can't go wrong with either one. The Live can be used standalone which is a big point to consider. On the other hand the MK3 costs like half of what the Live costs but is software based.

I think software wise the MPC has a edge because it's closer to a full DAW while the Maschine software is only made for creating the beat... not mixing and finishing a production.

I only own the MK3 but from videos I've seen the MPC 2.0 software makes it easier to produce and finish a beat without transfering to another DAW being necessary. You can produce a full beat in Maschine but you'd need hella plug ins and work arounds to get things done. Usually people create the beat in Maschine and then bounce to a DAW for mixing.

Can't go wrong with either. Flip a coin if you have a hard time deciding on one.
Old 28th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Hop Head View Post
Both are great controllers but both respective software apps have their problems.

Besides the controllers themselves one should consider:

Akai seems to be more eager to fix stuff and does it faster.
The Akai people are more responsive to feedback from what I've heard and their community is bigger.

NI is not very responsive to feedback but because of the relatively small community you have a real chance that your complaint/suggestion can lead to a change in the next update (those are very rare tho and software dev is slow).
To the contrary, NI's community is about 10 times the size of Akai's.

NI's the biggest name in town when it comes to software/hybrid based music production. By a long way.

You are right about them traditionally not being that quick to implement community change requests, but you could say the same about various big dev's products.

However, since the launch of the Mk3 Maschine they seem to have turned a corner and there is a new beta out about once a month. (I'm on it) They also announced that rather than saving up features for maybe even years for major point releases they would start rolling them out as they were ready in lots of incremental updates.

As always though, there are a vocal minority who overstate the importance of their requested feature while the majority just get on and enjoy using it.

Maschine's come a long way and it's matured very nicely.

Quote:
You can't go wrong with either one. The Live can be used standalone which is a big point to consider. On the other hand the MK3 costs like half of what the Live costs but is software based.

I think software wise the MPC has a edge because it's closer to a full DAW while the Maschine software is only made for creating the beat... not mixing and finishing a production.

I only own the MK3 but from videos I've seen the MPC 2.0 software makes it easier to produce and finish a beat without transfering to another DAW being necessary. You can produce a full beat in Maschine but you'd need hella plug ins and work arounds to get things done. Usually people create the beat in Maschine and then bounce to a DAW for mixing.
I'm not that familiar with the MPC 2 DAW software but what does it have that Maschine's software doesn't other than a traditional linear timeline arranger mode? Can it even send side chain signals between intertrack plugins yet? I just read in a forum on Akai's board that it can't, but that was from about 6 months ago. That's a glaring omission if so.

Also, why would you need loads of plugins and workarounds in Maschine that you wouldn't in MPC 2.0?

I arrange, mix and master full tracks in Maschine 2.7.x all the time. I came from Cubase and there is little I feel I don't have that I 'need' tbh. To be fair that has only really been due to functionality NI have introduced to Maschine in the last 8 months or so, but so be it.

Maschine is integrating more DAW like features all the time these days, esp on the audio side, as much requested, (In fact it's now got some audio features that I love that no DAW has) but I don't feel it needs to go too far down that rabbit hole and end up being bloated like certain well known decades old DAWs.

It used to be the case you would 'need' to bounce out and mix in a DAW, but really not anymore.

The only thing I want is latency compensation. MPC 2.0 doesn't have it either. I'd like more than 8 audio inputs as well for my hardware synths, but it's not a dealbreaker.

Quote:
Can't go wrong with either. Flip a coin if you have a hard time deciding on one.
Or try both and see which he gels with. That can be half the battle sometimes and there's no objective best.
Old 28th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfell View Post

To be fair that has only really been due to functionality NI have introduced to Maschine in the last 8 months or so, but so be it.
a more honest statement has never been said... cause the last 9 years were atrocious.. can maschine even record mutes and solos yet, the snapshots work around is aight but....?

what are those features that no other daw has that you spoke of, ...that sounds very interesting?
Old 28th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain 8 View Post
can maschine even record mutes and solos yet, the snapshots work around is aight but....?
Is recording soloing tracks something many people do?

As for mutes, i've never recorded them in any DAW either. I've always just recorded gain or fader automation, as I do in Maschine.

Interesting that you mention snapshots, which really are an amazing feature for when playing live. Does the new MPC's have anything similar?

What's the snapshot workaround, as I know snapshots automation outputs, or even snapshot scence changes can't be recorded yet? I hope they allow the recording of snapshot scene changes at some point, as i'd love to be able to record what it capable with them using automation rather than audio.

Quote:
what are those features that no other daw has that you spoke of, ...that sounds very interesting?
  1. In situ auditioning of audio - Including time synced loops, from whatever point/track you want in your actual project rather than it just playing on top of your projects output like almost all DAWs do.

It's as bigger pro for me than when DAWs media browsers started being able to time sync loops about 15 years ago! So many times something won't work until it's heard in context, maybe some has effects applied, and is somewhat mixed etc, so being able to audition and do that is invaluable to me and a massive workflow boost.

(I think Reaper can maybe do it actually, but none others that I know of)

2. Live recordable pitch transposing of audio loops - Example, say you have a 4 note bass loop, and you want every 2nd loops 4th note to be a G rather than an F, you can do that on the fly with your pads/keys, and record the transposition command on the audio track, and it's non-destructive.

I really like the notes mode and Perform FX as well. Using the touchstrip to play/perform opens up new unique avenues for recording and performance. In fact I use my Jam almost entirely so I can have 8 of them to use at once which has some great uses.

Last edited by barryfell; 28th July 2018 at 06:31 AM..
Old 28th July 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfell View Post

NI's the biggest name in town when it comes to software/hybrid based music production. By a long way.

You are right about them traditionally not being that quick to implement community change requests, but you could say the same about various big dev's products.

However, since the launch of the Mk3 Maschine they seem to have turned a corner and there is a new beta out about once a month. (I'm on it) They also announced that rather than saving up features for maybe even years for major point releases they would start rolling them out as they were ready in lots of incremental updates.

As always though, there are a vocal minority who overstate the importance of their requested feature while the majority just get on and enjoy using it.

Maschine's come a long way and it's matured very nicely.

I'm not that familiar with the MPC 2 DAW software but what does it have that Maschine's software doesn't other than a traditional linear timeline arranger mode? Can it even send side chain signals between intertrack plugins yet? I just read in a forum on Akai's board that it can't, but that was from about 6 months ago. That's a glaring omission if so.

Also, why would you need loads of plugins and workarounds in Maschine that you wouldn't in MPC 2.0?

I arrange, mix and master full tracks in Maschine 2.7.x all the time. I came from Cubase and there is little I feel I don't have that I 'need' tbh. To be fair that has only really been due to functionality NI have introduced to Maschine in the last 8 months or so, but so be it.

Maschine is integrating more DAW like features all the time these days, esp on the audio side, as much requested, (In fact it's now got some audio features that I love that no DAW has) but I don't feel it needs to go too far down that rabbit hole and end up being bloated like certain well known decades old DAWs.

It used to be the case you would 'need' to bounce out and mix in a DAW, but really not anymore.

The only thing I want is latency compensation. MPC 2.0 doesn't have it either. I'd like more than 8 audio inputs as well for my hardware synths, but it's not a dealbreaker.

Or try both and see which he gels with. That can be half the battle sometimes and there's no objective best.
I don't know if that is true. I have the impression that Akai has the biggers community. Could be wrong but I see way more people using MPCs, Akai controllers than NI stuff.

You're cherrypicking certain features that both apps don't have. I'm talking about general workflow. I said I don't own a MPC Live and therefore don't know what MPC 2.0 is really capable of but from what I've seen in videos and read in articles it seems to me that Akai has an edge over NI with the software. I'm not hating on the Maschine software or saying it's bad. I'm just saying MPC 2.0 looks like it makes you less depended on other DAWs to finish your stuff.

It's all good tho. At the end of the day it's just personal preference thing. Nobody cares about what brushes Picasso used.
The end product is the important thing.
Old 28th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Hop Head View Post
I don't know if that is true. I have the impression that Akai has the biggers community. Could be wrong but I see way more people using MPCs, Akai controllers than NI stuff.
I'll see if I can source some empirical data, but the impression I get in the community is that a huge number of old MPC users left them for Maschine years ago. I personally don't know of any beat makers in the various communities I'm part of who use the modern hybrid MPC systems. It's one reason I'm intrigued about the v2 software as I don't know anyone who uses it to ask.

Quote:
You're cherrypicking certain features that both apps don't have.
To the contrary, I was starting on an important feature of modern day DAWs (side chain functionality), and in fact Maschine has it and the MPC DAW doesn't, hence why I'm questioning the merit of your claim. Can you state anything that it has which backs up your claim, or are you just making it up, or is it just ignorance?

Quote:
talking about general workflow.
Maschine's workflow is lightning these days. Way quicker than DAWs, and I can't see how the new MPCs can be any overall improvement.

Quote:
I said I don't own a MPC Live and therefore don't know what MPC 2.0 is really capable of but from what I've seen in videos and read in articles it seems to me that Akai has an edge over NI with the software. I'm not hating on the Maschine software or saying it's bad. I'm just 4 saying MPC 2.0 looks like it makes you less depended on other DAWs to finish your stuff.
Well I use Maschine 2.7.7 and MK3 hardware, which is immense by itself, but when you add the MK2 Kontrol keyboard which then give you 4 screens and loads of other hardware control, plus there is Jam, which provide another set of great hardware functions that the MPC can't touch.

Can you give an example of what would be needed from a DAW that Maschine is missing in order to finish tracks?

This is the second time I've asked, so don't try and restate it again without evidence.
Old 29th July 2018
Lives for gear

instead of snapshots, the mpc has mute recording, it's very flexible you can mute and record pads or tracks....
instead of audio transpose the mpc has midi transpose, you can transpose any of your sequences to whatever key you want, of course if you drop your samples into a key group then you can transpose audio that way.

Ableton live also has audition audio in sync with your project, mpc does not have that feature of auditioning audio from wherever in a track like you describe but it does have an Ableton live like session mode/clip mode that plays the clips at the project tempo.

the mpc has notes/perform mode..... however the Fx are better on maschine, but because the mpc has 'freeze, stack, and print Fx feature to pads the fx it does have are a lot more flexible.... no other standalone groove box has freeze to pads function. Hopefully akai are working on a new Fx suite.

the mpc has tempo automation
time signature automation
and midi merge of midi tracks...... these are things that I couldn't live without when it comes to making full and complete song sketches, I don't think Maschine has those features yet, even if you use it in conjunction with a maschine jam....native is probably saving it for their 10th year anniversary .

in short I think they are both great at what they are great at.... If I'm doing something like plastic man etc.. then I'd stick with maschine but if I'm doing something like dj shadow or anything that needs variation I'd head straight to the mpc. the best feature about it is it's oldest feature... the sequencer, it's a dream to write music on, as well as control outboard gear.
Old 29th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
instead of snapshots, the mpc has mute recording, it's very flexible you can mute and record pads or tracks....
Mmmm. In Maschine you would just have different patterns with the pads/tracks set up as you need, and you can then jam between them like you would in Ableton Live's session view.

Does MPC 2.0 have things like 'clips'/'patterns', rather than just a traditional tracks based linear sequencer?

Quote:
instead of audio transpose the mpc has midi transpose, you can transpose any of your sequences to whatever key you want, of course if you drop your samples into a key group then you can transpose audio that way.
I just saw it can transpose to a scale, so that's something Maschine doesn't have that i'd like.

Quote:
Ableton live also has audition audio in sync with your project, mpc does not have that feature of auditioning audio from wherever in a track like you describe but it does have an Ableton live like session mode/clip mode that plays the clips at the project tempo.
It's not audition audio in sync i'm saying that is great. Most DAWs have had that for about a decade. It's being able to audition audio in sync from inside your project rather than just being played over it, like Live, Cubase, ProTools etc do.

Quote:
the mpc has notes/perform mode..... however the Fx are better on maschine, but because the mpc has 'freeze, stack, and print Fx feature to pads the fx it does have are a lot more flexible.... no other standalone groove box has freeze to pads function. Hopefully akai are working on a new Fx suite.
Mmmm, well in Maschine you just drag the audio from from one track to another and it freezes/prints it along with any FX/sequence that was on it, and merges it with any other tracks you have selected. I use it all the time for creating stacks and layered sequences that I can then instantly playback from one pad and/or create new chops and resequence.

Quote:
the mpc has tempo automation
time signature automation
Indeed Maschine hasn't, but they aren't functions most beatmakers use. I've never used them in other DAWs either.

Quote:
and midi merge of midi tracks......
Maschine can do that.

Quote:
in short I think they are both great at what they are great at.... If I'm doing something like plastic man etc.. then I'd stick with maschine but if I'm doing something like dj shadow or anything that needs variation I'd head straight to the mpc.
What kind of variation?

Quote:
the best feature about it is it's oldest feature... the sequencer, it's a dream to write music on, as well as control outboard gear.
Speaking of external gear, how does it deal with the likes of external synths? Can you just insert one on a track, then it instantly works like a software synth would do, or do you need to set up the audio/MIDI routing each time?

My main question is though, what does MPC have that Maschine doesn't that means Maschine tracks need to be bounced out to a traditional DAW in order to finished a track, as per @Hip Hop Heads claim?
Old 29th July 2018
Gear Addict

Ima just go totally left field in comparison of what anyone else is saying not to say there wrong by any means just some simple in-site. Despite your boredom of FLstudio I'm willing to bet you are more productive and have more music under your belt using that program and most likely a in the box type of guy. If my assumption is true just invest in vstis that complement your workflow theres not a whole lot another fancy piece of gear can offer you that flstudio couldn't do if you really just embrace it and learn some the things you dont know how to do yet. Some even used logic x/fl studio some used ableton live/fl studio. Hell use fl studio with your mpc live and see how that works out for you and sequence from the mpc.
Old 29th July 2018
Lives for gear

@barry

yes it has a clips mode similar to abletons session mode, in addition to it's tracks and programs, and looper.

to answer your question there are just too many things to list, but it probably wouldn't matter to you really that much because all of the features that you said you don't use or aren't interested in would be included in the list..... I would say if you're really interested down load the pdf manual of any of the mpc series, from the entry level to the very latest, that would be from the 500 to the mpc x or live and you will see a lot of things that you won't find in the maschine manual but tbh it's not really that surprising as maschine has been out for about a decade where as the mpc has been out for much, much, longer. Native Instruments even stated on video that the mpc was their influence for developing maschine and that makes good sense. Many people who haven't been using mpcs for decades think it's just about brand popularity and usually think that many of the capabilities that it has are things that you only find in daws, or that are classified as 'daw features' but the truth is that it's been around for a very long time for a very good reason. The sequencer section of the manual will be extremely illuminating.

even so, end the end we gotta use what's best for us.
Old 29th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
@barry

yes it has a clips mode similar to abletons session mode, in addition to it's tracks and programs, and looper.

to answer your question there are just too many things to list, but it probably wouldn't matter to you really that much because all of the features that you said you don't use or aren't interested in would be included in the list..... I would say if you're really interested down load the pdf manual of any of the mpc series, from the entry level to the very latest, that would be from the 500 to the mpc x or live and you will see a lot of things that you won't find in the maschine manual but tbh it's not really that surprising as maschine has been out for about a decade where as the mpc has been out for much, much, longer. Native Instruments even stated on video that the mpc was their influence for developing maschine and that makes good sense. Many people who haven't been using mpcs for decades think it's just about brand popularity and usually think that many of the capabilities that it has are things that you only find in daws, or that are classified as 'daw features' but the truth is that it's been around for a very long time for a very good reason. The sequencer section of the manual will be extremely illuminating.
Cool man i'll have a read. I already downloaded it to check a couple of things.

Can you just answer this question though, as it's the crux i'm having this discussion with you and the previous poster.

What does MPC have that Maschine doesn't that means Maschine tracks need to be bounced out to a traditional DAW in order to properly finish a track, as per @Hip Hop Heads claim?

Quote:
even so, end the end we gotta use what's best for us.
Very true! Whatever works best of each of us is what is 'best'.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search