The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NI MK3 vs MPC Live Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 28th March 2018
Here for the gear

NI MK3 vs MPC Live

Heyo its me again,

yeah I know you'll probably rage at me for making a thread about the more-or-less same topic twice... But man, I'm just a very conflicted person!

So I got the MPC Live, just layin around in a gigbag doing nothing really, and one of my friends wants a Live and I'm just tempted to sell it to him...
The thing is, I don't really dig the whole process on the MPC, the FX especially dont do it for me, also I dont like AKAIs product policy and the software (especially on the PC) seems laggy and unfinished to me... On the other hand I see many forum posts and people on Youtube claiming that the Live is way more feature packed, easier to work with than the MK3 and so on... Should I keep it? Man Im so torn! Everyday I change my opinion at least 2 times weither Ill keep or sell the Live...

(Im doing mostly lofi/boom bap btw just that u know, a little trap from time to time too)

So I was thinking maybe I should sell it, go MK3 and for my standalone purposes maybe get a SP404? I mean I could use the MK3 most the time for my PC work and also get the awesome sound libary with it and still have the standalone vibe when using the SP404... What do you guys think? Am I going to dumb another hundreds of dollars?

I also thought about just getting Komplete, some midi thing and thats it software wise... man i just dont know...

Until this day 99% of my beats have been made in FL Studio, but I'm kinda bored by FL and want to move forward or try something new... The MPC really didnt do it for me and I'm afraid that my next investment will be a mistake again...

OR MAYBE I SHOULD BUY A MPC2500 AND SELL THE LIVE AND BUY KOMPLETE AND A MIDI AHHHH IDK

Greetings, gheddi

Last edited by gheddi; 29th March 2018 at 12:29 AM.. Reason: More information
Old 29th March 2018
Lives for gear

Stop spending more money. Its not the tools.
Old 29th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Getting a sampler or groovebox is like learning a language. Some days you are on it and other days you are left out in the clouds. On days you can't create anything try to deconstruct or reconstruct someone else's patterns. You could also watch more tutuorials on the box you are using. I think mpc-forums makes an ebook with projects for the live. I've been using MPCs for 13 years now and even the mpc tutor books add insight to stuff I already know. If you are just hoarding around gear you are just avoiding making music and learning your craft. I only get 30 minutes a day to write and I make use of it.

If you want to blow your money on something get formal mix tutorials on puremix.net. It can cost as much as 30 a month or 22 a month if you prepay for the year and you get a lot of good strategies with using stock plugins.
Old 29th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gheddi View Post
Heyo its me again,

yeah I know you'll probably rage at me for making a thread about the more-or-less same topic twice... But man, I'm just a very conflicted person!

So I got the MPC Live, just layin around in a gigbag doing nothing really, and one of my friends wants a Live and I'm just tempted to sell it to him...
The thing is, I don't really dig the whole process on the MPC, the FX especially dont do it for me, also I dont like AKAIs product policy and the software (especially on the PC) seems laggy and unfinished to me... On the other hand I see many forum posts and people on Youtube claiming that the Live is way more feature packed, easier to work with than the MK3 and so on... Should I keep it? Man Im so torn! Everyday I change my opinion at least 2 times weither Ill keep or sell the Live...

(Im doing mostly lofi/boom bap btw just that u know, a little trap from time to time too)

So I was thinking maybe I should sell it, go MK3 and for my standalone purposes maybe get a SP404? I mean I could use the MK3 most the time for my PC work and also get the awesome sound libary with it and still have the standalone vibe when using the SP404... What do you guys think? Am I going to dumb another hundreds of dollars?

I also thought about just getting Komplete, some midi thing and thats it software wise... man i just dont know...

Until this day 99% of my beats have been made in FL Studio, but I'm kinda bored by FL and want to move forward or try something new... The MPC really didnt do it for me and I'm afraid that my next investment will be a mistake again...

OR MAYBE I SHOULD BUY A MPC2500 AND SELL THE LIVE AND BUY KOMPLETE AND A MIDI AHHHH IDK

Greetings, gheddi
Get a Maschine mk3 if you need a groove box format or get Ableton and just be done with it (you wont want anything more except maybe a Push2)
Old 29th March 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Karloff View Post
Stop spending more money. Its not the tools.
yeah yeah i know, its not the gear, its the artist... I totally get that, still they're selling 4000 dollar preamps to people... why that? Because gear plays a certail role...

I wanna feel comfortable making beats, so I wanna know whats the great differences featurewise between AKAIs MPC Live and NI's MK3, aside the obvious standalone vs. controller thing. What speaks for which? If I would go MK3 I would also probably purchase the SP404 because it's a great thing for lofi this or that way I considered getting it long time ago... I would have the MK3/Komplete for my PC stuff that would be a more versatile setup and the SP for standalone lofiness... Idk though, maybe I'm missing out something on the Live that speaks for it... Thats why Im here

also because Im very conflicted and dont know maybe you got some tips...
Old 29th March 2018
Lives for gear

If you want to get comfortable. Pick a tool and learn it inside and out. Learn the key commands, the shortcuts, workflow tricks.
The preamp analogy doesn't work.
I use xyz preamp because it allows me to dial in the tone im after fast. Most professionals chose the tools that make thier job easier, not just because they want something new. The latter is the easiest way to spot a non proffesional. Buy something new when you have know for sure how and when it will benifit you.
Old 29th March 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Karloff View Post
If you want to get comfortable. Pick a tool and learn it inside and out. Learn the key commands, the shortcuts, workflow tricks.
The preamp analogy doesn't work.
I use xyz preamp because it allows me to dial in the tone im after fast. Most professionals chose the tools that make thier job easier, not just because they want something new. The latter is the easiest way to spot a non proffesional. Buy something new when you have know for sure how and when it will benifit you.
Wow okay sounds like alot of fun.....
I just dislike the workflow on the MPC Live and therefor will sell it...
I didnt get an answer to my question (MPC Live vs NI Maschine) instead I just got to know how unprofessional I am and that my analogies dont work blah blah yeah right forget it
Old 29th March 2018
To the most part most producers are going to have a preference for the workflow of either Maschine or MPC. If you've tried MPC and you're not feeling it, and it's not inspiring you, then I think you've already made up your mind. Sell the MPC and move on. It doesn't guarantee that you'll be better on Maschine, but only you will know that, after spending some time with it. But also as mentioned previously you have to be prepared to learn how to get what you want out of any device, they are so featured these days, and tend to use their own language, so it's not just a case of install and go. There are plenty of Youtube tutorials on using either.
Old 29th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow okay sounds like alot of fun.....
I just dislike the workflow on the MPC Live and therefor will sell it...
I didnt get an answer to my question (MPC Live vs NI Maschine) instead I just got to know how unprofessional I am and that my analogies dont work blah blah yeah right forget it
Make as many ill informed purchase decisions as you want. It's your money.
Old 30th March 2018
Lives for gear

I don't understand. If you don't like the MPC, than sell it. If you don't like the Maschine, then sell it. Find what you're comfortable with.

I would agree that Ableton w/ a decent controller might be a better bet for you. My guess is that going from fruity loops to any stand-alone type hardware is going to be a difficult and disappointing jump, likely no matter what.
Old 31st March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
yeah yeah i know, its not the gear, its the artist... I totally get that, still they're selling 4000 dollar preamps to people... why that? Because gear plays a certail role...

I wanna feel comfortable making beats, so I wanna know whats the great differences featurewise between AKAIs MPC Live and NI's MK3, aside the obvious standalone vs. controller thing. What speaks for which? If I would go MK3 I would also probably purchase the SP404 because it's a great thing for lofi this or that way I considered getting it long time ago... I would have the MK3/Komplete for my PC stuff that would be a more versatile setup and the SP for standalone lofiness... Idk though, maybe I'm missing out something on the Live that speaks for it... Thats why Im here

also because Im very conflicted and dont know maybe you got some tips...
Gear plays a certain role, but at the same time indecisiveness over what gear one should be using is usually the number one culprit for disrupting their ability to get sh*t done.

Getting to that place of true comfort simply comes from a continued, prolonged use of whatever gear you have.

As someone who owns multiple similar products from both companies, I've come to a point where I could use either or and still feel "as comfortable". There is and will probably never will be a single favorite for my needs.

Most of the other working professionals that I collaborate with who own a Maschine or an MPC also own and use multiple products from both companies, for reasons similar to mine I would assume. So my advice would be to buy the other if you're still curious about it. If you then feel there is too much redundancy between both of the products you own, or you just don't like one of them in comparison to the other, sell off the one you feel you can live without. At least then you would have your own personal understanding of the differences and similarities between the two, which is far better than sifting through pages of fanboy drivel on the internet and trying to come to a conclusion based on that alone.

That route will cost you a bit more money, but you'll be gaining a wealth of experience that in my honest opinion, outweighs the value of the money being spent for someone who is serious about their craft, whether it be just a hobby or their profession. Good luck.
Old 4th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Heyo its me again,

Greetings, gheddi

I have Maschine mk3 and it’s OK. For what it does it is good but honestly I prefer Ableton Push2 and Live Suite mainly because I invested a lot of time in Ableton and it has a better workflow for sequencing.

That said I like the Maschine sounds better and they have great expansion libraries.
Old 13th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Heyo its me again,

Greetings, gheddi
so what did you end up doing?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Don't get sp-404. No pitching samples, time stretch, various other brutal limitations (no separate outs, rca cables etc.)
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by killa ego View Post
Don't get sp-404. No pitching samples, time stretch, various other brutal limitations (no separate outs, rca cables etc.)
Its a great little unit tho.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

MPC any f***in' day.

I HATE that other controller...... ...... .....
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search