The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MPC Studio VS SP404 Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 13th February 2018
Here for the gear

MPC Studio VS SP404

Need some help deciding between getting the MPC Studio Black or a roland SP404. Im looking to use the sampler to make and produce beats alongside Abelton Live but I also want something that I can use during live performances to play my beats in loops and really have control over whats going on rather than just playing the track from my DAW or having a DJ. Thanks!
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear

@sdkeefe what is your workflow and how long have you been producing? From a modern tech view look into the MPC Studio Black.
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear

Ableton Live would be great for what you want to do. Way better than the mp or 404 ..
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear

MPC Studio, generally uses a plugin inside a DAW. but I believe it the software is also standalone. but I suspect you can use the MPC Studio to send midi to most anything. so it has a variety of use cases.

then again, so would the 404. one use case being it can hold its own samples. so if I'm reading the OP correctly, I can see the dilemma. if you are going to get some money back for shows, I'd say that the 404 would be far more robust and independent than the worrying fragility of a computer. but they are probably both very good choices whichever you end up choosing. technically speaking.

Last edited by Muser; 14th February 2018 at 07:17 PM..
Old 13th February 2018
Gear Addict

For live use...
Studio Black + CPU more powerful than SP404, but SP404 can stand alone

If you're using a CPU live and money is not an object, folks swear by Push 2 & Abelton combo. I have no experience of my own to share.

For studio use...
SP404 will have more character, but less flexibility. You won't get a "sound" from the Studio, but it and MPC 2.0 will provide a bigger feature set.

Again, folks love Push 2 + Abelton.
Old 14th February 2018
Lives for gear

@Muser yes the MPC Studio is also able to be used as a standalone DAW.

Last edited by boombapdame; 15th February 2018 at 03:09 PM..
Old 15th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Not even close. Mpc studio all the Way!
Old 15th February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombapdame View Post
@Muser yes the MPC Studio is also able to be used standalone.
How so? Doesn't the Studio rely on a CPU/software for sequencing, sounds, etc?

My understanding is the Studio, Renaissance & Touch are not stand alone units.
Old 15th February 2018
Lives for gear

Old 15th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombapdame View Post
@Muser yes the MPC Studio is also able to be used as a standalone DAW.
You clearly havn't used one.
Old 15th February 2018
Lives for gear

@Mister Karloff I know I haven't used one in my life and I'm going by the answer that is on Akai's site as a question was asked as to if the Studio software could be used as a standalone DAW hence my answer.
Old 15th February 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezowinZ View Post
For live use...
Studio Black + CPU more powerful than SP404, but SP404 can stand alone

If you're using a CPU live and money is not an object, folks swear by Push 2 & Abelton combo. I have no experience of my own to share.

For studio use...
SP404 will have more character, but less flexibility. You won't get a "sound" from the Studio, but it and MPC 2.0 will provide a bigger feature set.

Again, folks love Push 2 + Abelton.
what do you mean by more powerful?
Old 16th February 2018
Lives for gear

Re corrections:

MPC software can be used standalone or as a plugin.
is a more accurate way to state it.

standalone will tend to make the software more stable and probably have more available resources.
Old 16th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkeefe View Post
The studio with even the cheapest laptop that will run it would be a much more capable setup
Old 16th February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkeefe View Post
To expound on what MK said, you get more of everything with the MPC/CPU; memory, speed, storage, features, etc. Everything you can do on the SP, you can do on the MPC/CPU. That can't be said the other way.

Though the MPC Studio is the entry model of the new MPCs, you get the same software, MPC 2.0. Connected to a CPU, you can do just about everything with the Studio you can do with the MPC X (their flagship). Because of the size & layout, some features may not be as easily accessible, but they're there.
Old 16th February 2018
Lives for gear

For what the poster wants, I think its best to save up for an MPC LIVE. I've saw them for $650 to $750 mint on ebay sometimes. He'll be able to link up with Ableton, use the MPC Software and use it standalone in a live setting. Thats just me.
Old 18th February 2018
Lives for gear

The SP samplers are a PITA, my main gripe you can't pitch samples (trust me it's an important sampler feature.)

I keep a 505 as a flavor box but would never recommend it as a main unit.
Old 5th April 2018
Lives for gear

For making beats don't bother with 404. No pitching of samples, no way to track out, no choke groups, etc.

They are very cool, but only if you have a couple hundred bucks laying around.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search