The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Trick - Production Method? Pitch & Harmony Plugins
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

The Trick - Production Method?

reading a 2012 interview with Lewis Parker, and was interested by the following...

UKHH.COM: Tell me about something you do in production which you think is a Lewis Parker method, like something you always do to a sound or drums?

LP: There are many secret techniques, but there is one style known to certain producers called ‘THE TRICK’. This technique is the principle behind my main production method. It has to do with the maintaining of the natural air around a sound!

anyone know anything about this?

I think LP is an incredible beat maker so i'd really like to know more about it..

Lewis Parker exclusive interview with UKHH.com | UKHH.com
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verbs get gated son.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

i really wouldn't worry about it. even if you knew said secret, i doubt it would be the difference between poor and great productions.

it's more important to develop your own personal sense of refined aesthetics, and whatever processes that might entail, rather than trying to understand anyone else's "secret methods", which are honestly a lot of nonsense.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The trick is to learn the tools you have, then you can dial in any sound you have in your head and mix great songs.
There is no "magic" trick to music production.

Its just a simple process. Let your ears tell your brain what your hands need to do and vocal chords need to do.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

He's talking about maintaining the original air or ambience around a sound so that is gonna have zero to do with processing.if its what i think it is i think it's that method of slicing things up where you loop the release tail or an open section with just the noisefloor etc and then re-envelope it so it decays again so you can rearrange the slices with them still sounding somewhat organic i.e not obviously sliced.you can hear this a lot on Dilla's stuff.it stops things sounding a bit choppy and fake.there's a thread somewhere on Dogsonacid as part of their Grid QandA with a proudcer named Paradox who goes into this method in quite some detail (DnB producer i know,but it's essentially the same skill set at a higher tempo)

If it's not that i dunno what else he could be referring to
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Just do an alternating <> loop on the tail and that's it. A lot of producers overlook that and either timestretch or >> loop their samples.
<> with a bit of crossfade rules.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

yeah, this is the oldest sampling trick. when you chop a break or really any sample and have a slower tempo than the original, to fill in the spaces between drum hits you have your sampler play the sample forwards to the end, and then immediately reverse a tiny bit, which fills in the silence. this is actually the way Recycle works, though obviously it has limitations, where if it reverses too far it will definitely start sounding unnatural.. you only really want to reverse the very end of the sample that contains mostly the vinyl noisefloor.

a lot of the time with samples i just pitch **** down to compensate for slower BPM. if i need to then adjust pitch, i'll use the Waves Soundshifter, which has a lot less artifacts than most time-stretching does. it also makes it very simple to adjust pitch if your samples are already detuned to fit a BPM, as it has a box to change semi-tones and cents, which won't alter the sample's length. very easy.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search