The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rap / Hiphop production techniques have stagnated in the past 5-10 year Plugin Presets/Expansions
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Rap / Hiphop production techniques have stagnated in the past 5-10 year

The genre is stagnating. It’s amazing how the sonic palette of hip hop has stayed much the same in the last couple of years. And the sound quality of many modern productions is questionable. Many of the albums that dropped in 2017 were either fatiguing on the ear or just painful to listen to. I remember the days rap music was sonically very creative and pioneered modern production techniques.

The most innovative stuff I’m hearing nowadays is from outside the genre stuff like Flying Lotus and the LA beats scene.

Trap is not Hiphop. Same way you wouldn’t categorise Grime and Future Bass as Hiphop even though these are genres with an MC spitting over a sampled or synthesised beat. And Trap is closer in tempo to the latter genres.
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
The genre is stagnating. It’s amazing how the sonic palette of hip hop has stayed much the same in the last couple of years. And the sound quality of many modern productions is questionable. Many of the albums that dropped in 2017 were either fatiguing on the ear or just painful to listen to. I remember the days rap music was sonically very creative and pioneered modern production techniques.

The most innovative stuff I’m hearing nowadays is from outside the genre stuff like Flying Lotus and the LA beats scene.

Trap is not Hiphop. Same way you wouldn’t categorise Grime and Future Bass as Hiphop even though these are genres with an MC spitting over a sampled or synthesised beat. And Trap is closer in tempo to the latter genres.
FOH hiphop is a culture. Trap is more HipHop than whatever labels you are throwing out there. In the last 10 years there has been more creativity in hiphop. It may be fatiguing to your ears, but the creativity is definitely there and not stagnated.
Old 13th January 2018
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Listen.. people be askin me all the time,
"Yo Mos, what's gettin ready to happen with Hip-Hop?"
(Where do you think Hip-Hop is goin?)
I tell em, "You know what's gonna happen with Hip-Hop?
Whatever's happening with us"
If we smoked out, Hip-Hop is gonna be smoked out
If we doin alright, Hip-Hop is gonna be doin alright
People talk about Hip-Hop like it's some giant livin in the hillside
Comin down to visit the townspeople
We +are+ Hip-Hop
Me, you, everybody, we are Hip-Hop
So Hip-Hop is goin where we goin
So the next time you ask yourself where Hip-Hop is goin
Ask yourself.. where am I goin? How am I doin?
'Til you get a clear idea
So... if Hip-Hop is about the people
And the.. Hip-Hop won't get better until the people get better
Then how do people get better? (Hmmmm...)
Well, from my understanding people get better
When they start to understand that, they are valuable
And they not valuable because they got a whole lot of money
Or cause somebody, think they sexy
But they valuable cause they been created by God
Mos Def, ‘Fear Not of Man’

Definition, diagnosis, and prescription. All right there.
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Rapping is rapping regardless of the production. Trap is Hip hop because of the genre format which is 'Rapping' therefore equaling Rap music which the culture classification is 'Hip hop'
Old 14th January 2018
Lives for gear

Hip Hop is the culture, Trap is a business. And just because one raps does not make it Hip Hop.

But what is Hip Hop today? Everyone is buried in their androids and iPhones and bonding with their groups in the comfort of their own homes or parks. No one is doing it in the park, clubs allow anyone inside and the music is just a decoration on the wall that is easily ignored. If a rapper blows up today, its because he said something relevant to the present time, but in 3 months when its not relevant anymore, the rapper is completely forgotten. Rappers are too comfortable, they don't have that fire burning within that stemmed from suffereing and rejection of society. Rap is mainstream like its once hated sister, Pop. Rap is Pop now, its not Hip Hop so calling Trap Hip Hop must stop.

Thats why the genre is stagnated, everyone living like its a party everyday. Where are my hungry emcees, where are the producers that can heal my soul? Instead we are bombarded with cookie-cutter raps and music that get played 300 times a day, brainwashing you from reality and not to mention the over-the-counter drug use promoted to keep you sleeping. People are blind to their true surroundings and rather take the pill of living like a millionaire and being careless than to be aware of the pain and anguish other people are experiencing. And when artists do step up, its considered weak and can't be flipped into big money so its kept hidden and unplayed on radio.

Everything is about money and everyone wants to make a hit like the last man so they do the exact but maybe add sprinkles or chocolate chips to the cookies to make a little different but its the same cookie with the same ingredients from the same cookie-cutter.
Old 14th January 2018
Lives for gear

^^ Word !!!!!
Old 14th January 2018
mp3
Lives for gear

Back to the original point. I hear a pretty big difference between 2008 hip hop, 2013 hip hop, and 2018 hip hop. I don’t hear stagnation at all.

Now whether this sub genre or that one is hip hop. The danger if we go that route of puritanism is that the genre dies like jazz did. We gotta remember if we own it like that then it ages right along with us. The new generation have to do their own thing. And honestly I’d rather see it continue to grow and change than stagnate, and that’s even if I don’t like how it changes.
Old 14th January 2018
Gear Nut

The album that is going to win the Grammy for "Album of the Year" is Kendrick Lamar's "DAMN.". That dude hasn't put out a stagnant piece of work ever, and pretty much everything on the TDE label is dope af. Anyone who thinks hip hop is stagnant clearly hasn't listened to enough, looked in he right places, or a combination of both.
Old 14th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL GREEN View Post
Hip Hop is the culture, Trap is a business. And just because one raps does not make it Hip Hop.

But what is Hip Hop today? Everyone is buried in their androids and iPhones and bonding with their groups in the comfort of their own homes or parks. No one is doing it in the park, clubs allow anyone inside and the music is just a decoration on the wall that is easily ignored. If a rapper blows up today, its because he said something relevant to the present time, but in 3 months when its not relevant anymore, the rapper is completely forgotten. Rappers are too comfortable, they don't have that fire burning within that stemmed from suffereing and rejection of society. Rap is mainstream like its once hated sister, Pop. Rap is Pop now, its not Hip Hop so calling Trap Hip Hop must stop.

Thats why the genre is stagnated, everyone living like its a party everyday. Where are my hungry emcees, where are the producers that can heal my soul? Instead we are bombarded with cookie-cutter raps and music that get played 300 times a day, brainwashing you from reality and not to mention the over-the-counter drug use promoted to keep you sleeping. People are blind to their true surroundings and rather take the pill of living like a millionaire and being careless than to be aware of the pain and anguish other people are experiencing. And when artists do step up, its considered weak and can't be flipped into big money so its kept hidden and unplayed on radio.

Everything is about money and everyone wants to make a hit like the last man so they do the exact but maybe add sprinkles or chocolate chips to the cookies to make a little different but its the same cookie with the same ingredients from the same cookie-cutter.
HipHop and trap are 1 in the same. I grew up in a trap listening to hiphop. Trap because popular as a term because in the hiphop culture we switch up terminology. Trap is also known as a bando. Because a trap house is a house drugs were sold out of seperate from your actual house where your lady and kids live. HipHop and trap are the same. And WTF is wrong with Pop rap. It's still anti to be popular. FOH. People want to have great lives. Nobody looks forward to struggling all their lives so why stay down in the struggle. You can be successful and still covey the struggle as a popular artist. FOH with that BS!
Old 15th January 2018
Lives for gear

If it dont sound like sold out trashy junk it has the chance to still be hiphop.I guess it depends on who you ask....Anyways-keep on grinding
Old 16th January 2018
Lives for gear

When nas said hip hop was dead.. he was talking about it's status in main stream music. Hip hop is not dead. It lives within me.

Smh.. Hip hop and trap are certainly not the same thing and I'm not wasting my time trying to explain the difference to those who don't know better. I suppose someone's gonna try to convince everyone that poetry and trap are the same thing too? Smfh.
Old 16th January 2018
Lives for gear

@jikky I didn't personally experience what you did but that is how I define Trap and @ILL GREEN take into account the lack of cultural spaces regarding Hip Hop and music overall and Hip Hop has been a business since 1979 and success of a rapper today is based on social media which is more of the latter than former as people forget how to socialize away from screens. Everybody struggles w/something but music is to be an escape from it not a reminder hence why Hip Hop began as party music to uplift not party to some bull****. Music is best when it reflects a variety of moods.
Old 16th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombapdame View Post
@jikky I didn't personally experience what you did but that is how I define Trap and @ILL GREEN take into account the lack of cultural spaces regarding Hip Hop and music overall and Hip Hop has been a business since 1979 and success of a rapper today is based on social media which is more of the latter than former as people forget how to socialize away from screens. Everybody struggles w/something but music is to be an escape from it not a reminder hence why Hip Hop began as party music to uplift not party to some bull****. Music is best when it reflects a variety of moods.
'Success' means a variety of things among different minds. You should never share your personal definition of success with anyone.

As far as being stagnant.. the op is just talking about main stream corporate white rap. There's plenty of good **** going on always. Hip hop can't die. I'd post some of my latest projects to assure you all.. but it's a seeccreettt
Old 16th January 2018
Gear Nut
Tempo. Everything is in the same slow tempo range. Even a “different” album like DAMN is in that same slow tempo range.

Many fear moving out of that slow tempo range for fear that they will not fit in the dj’s (radio/mic show/club/arena/tour) playlists that’s full of that same slow tempo.
Old 16th January 2018
PHG
Gear Maniac

Big K.R.I.T. - 4eva Is a Mighty Long Time (2017)

Armand Hammer - Rome (2017)

billy woods - Known Unknowns (2017)

ELUCID - Valley Of Grace EP (2017)

Apollo Brown & Planet Asia - Anchovies (2017)

Meyhem Lauren & DJ Muggs - Gems from the Equinox (2017)

Roc Marciano - Rosebudd's Revenge (2017)

Open Mike Eagle - Brick Body Kids Still Daydream (2017)

Wiki - No Mountains In Manhattan (2017)

Big Boi - Boomiverse (2017)

Devin The Dude - Acoustic Levitation (2017)

Jay-Z - 4:44 (2017)

Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels 3 (2016)

A Tribe Called Quest (2016)

KA - Honor Killed The Samurai (2016)

Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition (2016)

L'Orange & Mr. Lif - The Life & Death of Scenery (2016)

Aesop Rock - The Impossible Kid (2016)

Saul Williams - Martyr Loser King (2016)

Scarface - Deeply Rooted (2015)

Scarface - Deeply Rooted The Lost Files (2017)

Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Piñata (2014)

Pharoahe Monch - P.T.S.D. (2014)

Old 17th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHG View Post

Said it best!
Old 17th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Most people I know from youth wanted to play sports, be a d-boy, make music, or a combination of those. There weren't many other role models and in some places that still holds true today. Crack took hold of the culture and this is the hip-hop we got. I've been a victim and contributor to the problems that exist. It's the hand that was dealt.

To say trapping ain't a hip hop culture is completely false. Trapping modern day is selling drugs in general. Trapping originates exclusively from selling crack. Crack is in black culture. That would be hip hop. The culture of hip hop is the same culture of trap. It's the same people.

Trying to break out subgenres of hip hop and then say it's not hip hop is dumb. I think someone mentioned jazz. That happened there.

Some people make music as a passion and enjoy and live for the struggle. Most see it as a means to an end. A way out of the struggle. It's taught as the American way to be rich and famous. Life liberty pursuit and what not. Hip hop was born in that. After it became popular it became the lick to get people out by whatever means. Before it was popular it was about spreading a message because it is how the black culture passed information. Through songs. In hip-hop messages were passed and still are passed. If you don't understand it, it's not meant for you.

We analyze the message in hip hop "oh everyones saying the same thing". Not really. You're just not listening enough and are salty behind your laziness to go find what resonates with you. Stagnant... Please stop that BS!

@boombapdame none of that is to you. I just kind of went on a rant towards OP and whoever is questioning the plethora of content within the wide variety of ever growing hip hop we have today. Nothing wrong with being popular or selling your music as a business. Your music is yours to make and if being in mainstream rap helps your family situation, keeps you out of the streets, and keeps you growing more power to you. Do that! It's a part of the culture to get money. It's also the American way.
Old 17th January 2018
I’ve thought a lot about this. Now my opinion is only just that, and everyone has one. In my golden era loving opinion the difference is that samples are largely out of play for all but the top tier artists. Talent or not, if you can take records with the best musicians and layer that with the best musicians from other records. It is just going to sound better. My 15 year old stepson listens to the trap/hop that’s out right now. I can dig some of it but it’s not for me. That’s fine. I do feel that there are some better producers out these days but I largely hear sampled 808s and synthesizers. Some is good but if I’m painting with broad strokes there’s a formula that has less variation than sample based hip hop at its peak presented. I’m also a 42 and not the target audience so I’m probably missing the subtleties and probably blinded by nostalgia.
Old 17th January 2018
PHG
Gear Maniac

Most old heads say Hip-Hop music started out as people using the bare minimum to put together something original and get a party going. So even as it's become more and more profitable since then, I feel like "making something from nothing" will always be a part of it.

People starting out right now don't really have easy access to turntables like they did in the 80s or drum machines and samplers like they did in the 90/00s. That stuff can even be really expensive now for most.

It's cheaper for kids now to just use the hand-me-down computer they already own and run some programs like Fruity Loops or Garageband, or whatever. Lots of big hits have been produced with not much else than those programs and the included drumkits and sound kits. People are always going to use what they have at their disposal, and some of it is bound to be popping and make it through to the larger audience.

Years ago, people were complaining about the "G Funk" or "Shiny Suit" stuff not being real Hip-Hop. Then it was "Crunk" ain't Hip-Hop, "Hyphy" ain't Hip-Hop and "Grime" is not Hip-Hop. Now I guess "Trap" isn't Hip-Hop? I've seen people online saying they don't consider anything from the South Hip-Hop! I think it's kind of a narrow point of view to draw some imaginary line in the sand like that. A lot of that "Crunk", "Grime" and "Trap" was just people making something dope out of the limited tools they had available.

Honestly, that seems pretty Hip-Hop to me. It's just the natural progression of using more computers, and not wanting to bother with sample clearance.

All that said though, I do think the internet age has kind of created an overabundance of copycat stuff getting released at a fast pace, without much filter. So that does make some sounds go stale faster.

It doesn't really help that the companies making the new hardware or new software follow suit and include their "Dubstep" or "Trap" sound kits and presets, because they want to stay relevant. The trends kind of feed off of themselves and eventually die because of that. Too many people all using the same sounds.

I think producers were making that "Dubstep" sound back in the 90s on "Drum and Bass" records by getting mad creative and running a synth bass through some guitar effects pedals or tweaking it like crazy some other way. It's kind of lame when you can just press the "Skrillex" button in your software now. That keeps people from pushing the limits further. And Ludacris was putting out "Trap" songs 15 years ago with your boy 2 Chainz (AKA Tity Boi). His producers were using whatever equipment they had laying around. They didn't need to buy a "Trap" sample kit online. I've been apparently listening to "Trap" for years before I even heard anyone call it that...

Anyways. If too many people spend too much time trying to define and box in Hip-Hop music, then it really will be "stagnating".

Just keep it easy, and remember Dope is Dope.
Old 17th January 2018
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
People starting out right now don't really have easy access to turntables like they did in the 80s or drum machines and samplers like they did in the 90/00s. That stuff can even be really expensive now for most.
People didn’t have easy access to that stuff back then either. That stuff was even more expensive back then than it is now. It’s just there was no other option. There were no sample blogs to go download whole libraries of funk and soul records. No drum kit subreddits. No FL Studio torrent sites. And so on.

But all of that equipment talk is a side story. It has an impact but this is really about the people and institutions that create and distribute music.

By the way, UGK pocket full of stones is recognized as one of the first trap songs. And that was released in 93. But really trapping has been a subject in hip hop since the 80s. It’s just nobody made whole entire songs about it. It wasn’t until the last decade or so that trap stopped being a topical subject and became an identifiable sound (basically the shawty redd ATL sound). So even trap ain’t trap nowadays if that makes sense. Then you got all the non-rappers and ex-skrillex wannabes making downtempo beats with long 808s and calling it trap to further muddy the waters. But it’s cool they can have it. It’s not like I’m proud about my people talking about selling poison to one another.
Old 17th January 2018
PHG
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
By the way, UGK pocket full of stones is recognized as one of the first trap songs. And that was released in 93. But really trapping has been a subject in hip hop since the 80s. It’s just nobody made whole entire songs about it. It wasn’t until the last decade or so that trap stopped being a topical subject and became an identifiable sound (basically the shawty redd ATL sound). So even trap ain’t trap nowadays if that makes sense.
Agreed. I don't remember anyone around Texas ever making up a new genre name for that first UGK album back then, though. At least not anyone I knew. It was just a dope rap album to us. After the "Trap" designation started getting thrown around more recently, maybe people started putting that label on it retrospectively.

Anyways, Pocket Full Of Stones is just as much Hip-Hop as Audio Two's Top Billin', and anyone who thinks different is just playing themselves.
Old 17th January 2018
I think that music in general is both benefiting and suffering from the fact that releasing music has never been easier than it is today. The barriers to entry for creating a record have never been lower. Just about anyone can now set up a "studio" on their computer now, create a song according to a formula and release it for less than 20 bucks on major distribution points online. Couple that with the fact that hip hop is largely based on building blocks from other sources(samples, drum machines, etc) and you can create an independent hip hop record for less than a 100 bucks and get it on iTunes, spotify, whatever. This is both amazing and terrible. Anyone can release a record, so a lot of bad records are going to be released. However people who would not have had the means 20 years ago but have the talent can now release a record. Discovery is now much more difficult, and I think that there is money to be made in curation as this becomes the norm.
Old 17th January 2018
Quote:
Agreed. I don't remember anyone around Texas ever making up a new genre name for that first UGK album back then, though. At least not anyone I knew. It was just a dope rap album to us. After the "Trap" designation started getting thrown around more recently, maybe people started putting that label on it retrospectively.

Anyways, Pocket Full Of Stones is just as much Hip-Hop as Audio Two's Top Billin', and anyone who thinks different is just playing themselves.
Yeah, Ive got friends from Port Arthur, and they always just thought of UGK as the hometown heroes that put their little town on the map. I think you could argue the Geto Boys were as much trap as they were gangsta if we want to look at it from a historical perspective. I always thought that Dj Reddy Red era geto boys/scarface/Convicts was a great blend of NY and west coast hip hop. Its a shame he got mixed up in the powder/beefing with J Prince as some of his beats were dope as f**k.
Old 17th January 2018
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_A_P View Post
I think that music in general is both benefiting and suffering from the fact that releasing music has never been easier than it is today. The barriers to entry for creating a record have never been lower. Just about anyone can now set up a "studio" on their computer now, create a song according to a formula and release it for less than 20 bucks on major distribution points online. Couple that with the fact that hip hop is largely based on building blocks from other sources(samples, drum machines, etc) and you can create an independent hip hop record for less than a 100 bucks and get it on iTunes, spotify, whatever. This is both amazing and terrible. Anyone can release a record, so a lot of bad records are going to be released. However people who would not have had the means 20 years ago but have the talent can now release a record. Discovery is now much more difficult, and I think that there is money to be made in curation as this becomes the norm.
A lot of bad records got released before the floodgates got opened too. Back when the labels were the gatekeepers. At least now the good stuff doesn’t get shelved indefinitely due to contract disputes and such. Much prefer the current state of affairs to be honest, as both a content producer and a content consumer.
Old 18th January 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post

At one time you actually needed talent and the ability to really rap in order to become popular (for the most part). Your flow/cadence, and lyricism needed to be unique and you weren’t allowed to bite off of others without being called out.
Rappers in the 90’s were pretty much all different and had their own style: Biggy, Tupac, Snoop, Dre, Methold Man, DMX, Redman, Nas, Jay Z, etc, etc. There are some unique folks today, but by in large, it’s the same sh!t with different packaging. Lyricism and rap ability is no longer standard protocol.

Trap rap is some of the worst garbage I have ever heard, it’s not really musical and the flows are straight up wack. When ‘mumble rap’ is near the top in the hip hop game, you know the genere is in need of some new MC’s.

My $0.02
Old 18th January 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:

I consider my self to be an expert on independent/underground hip hop, and have been since the genre was first created. I grew up in the middle of NYC when all of it was goin down. And I think that list you posted is EXCELLENT. I'm just happy there are other people out there who recognize how much talent and creativity is out there, and are listening to such great music. I'm sure you and I could talk about this ish all day long. Respect.
Old 18th January 2018
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisvillain View Post
At one time you actually needed talent and the ability to really rap in order to become popular (for the most part). Your flow/cadence, and lyricism needed to be unique and you weren’t allowed to bite off of others without being called out.
Rappers in the 90’s were pretty much all different and had their own style: Biggy, Tupac, Snoop, Dre, Methold Man, DMX, Redman, Nas, Jay Z, etc, etc. There are some unique folks today, but by in large, it’s the same sh!t with different packaging. Lyricism and rap ability is no longer standard protocol.

Trap rap is some of the worst garbage I have ever heard, it’s not really musical and the flows are straight up wack. When ‘mumble rap’ is near the top in the hip hop game, you know the genere is in need of some new MC’s.

My $0.02
I'm sorry but Ma$e ruins your whole argument
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear

@mp3 Ma$e is irrelevant to today's climate except for an ignored recent diss to Jim Jones and @PHG and @TheKosherButcher I can talk Hip Hop with y'all anytime.
Old 18th January 2018
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
@mp3 Ma$e is irrelevant to today's climate except for an ignored recent diss to Jim Jones and @PHG and @TheKosherButcher I can talk Hip Hop with y'all anytime.
When you're talking about old school hip hop you have to be mindful of the effects of looking back with nostalgia. We tend to remember the good and forget the bad, that's just human nature. As someone who came of age in that era there were plenty of uninspiring and unoriginal artists and records out back then. In the same way, 20 years from now certain artists (like Kendrick for example) will come to represent the era and others (like Rae Sremmurd for example) won't. The same way Biggie kinda represents the 90's and Ma$e doesn't.
Old 18th January 2018
PHG
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKosherButcher View Post
I consider my self to be an expert on independent/underground hip hop, and have been since the genre was first created. I grew up in the middle of NYC when all of it was goin down. And I think that list you posted is EXCELLENT. I'm just happy there are other people out there who recognize how much talent and creativity is out there, and are listening to such great music. I'm sure you and I could talk about this ish all day long. Respect.
Quote:
Respect! Honestly, I feel like there's so much good stuff getting released the last few years, I have trouble keeping up.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search