The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
OP-1. VS. MPC Live Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 8th January 2018
Gear Maniac

OP-1. VS. MPC Live

Lookin at the new Akai MPC Live. It seems like Akai just makes new stuff that does what the old stuff does, more efficiently.

I’m debating between the OP-1 and MPC Live. I want something portable/battery powered, and stand alone. Don’t wanna touch a computer until I’m tracking.

I’m torn between the Live and the OP, because the LIve is like a daw in a box, but the sequencer is linear. I like the OP-1 because it has creative elements, that help create stuff on accident. Like, with all MPC’s, you go into making music with an idea in mind. But with the OP-1 ideas come to you as you play with it.
Old 8th January 2018
Lives for gear

I like both of them. There are a few things about the OP1 that made me less productive though. I did not like doing song arrangements on it. I didn't like being able to easily save and recall.

Other than being portable they really don't compare that well.

Im curious to see the OP Z though.
Old 8th January 2018
Gear Maniac

They’re definitely very different. I just don’t have a money to buy both right now, and I really want to get in deep with one. I’ve been contemplating the OP-1 for a while, but saw the Live today. They’re both around $1000. One of em is going to be my work horse for a while. It seems like the Live is meant for having an idea before turning it on, while I can arrive at ideas more randomly with the OP. One reason I want an OP is the randomness and unique workflows of the sequencers. I’ve worked on MPC’s my whole life, and still have a 3000 and Renaissance. I just feel like making beats on them has become formulaic.
Old 8th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Also, yea the OP-Z looks really interesting. Have you seen that robot thing Teenage Engineering has now? I think it’s called the R or the H.
Old 12th January 2018
Lives for gear

I can't deal with an instrument without velocity and aftertouch keys.
Old 12th January 2018
Lives for gear

Well if you still have a Ren, you won't get anything new with the MPC Live, the OS is the same. However, the stand-alone aspect of the Live is slightly different than the software. It simply can't do everything its software counterpart can do.

I know a few producers that own both and I get the same answer. That the Live is bread and butter beat-making but they enjoy the OP-1, like you, for its creative journeys you find yourself taking.

Isn't the Op-1 cheaper than the Live: $849<$1199
Old 16th January 2018
Gear Head

I've owned both and I guess it just really depends what you need. If you have DAW and use it heavily I would say the Op-1 is a great addition to your studio. If your DAW is limited (Ableton light for example) or you just dont like using a DAW that much then the LIVE is better due to its sequencer. The OP-1 is amazing though I honestly think the value of the Op-1 go up in the near future once they stop making them, theyre that good.
Old 17th January 2018
Gear Maniac

I think I’ve decides against the Live. It’s a stand alone MPC, which is cool. But doesn’t accomplish my goal of using something that inspires more experimentation. I’ve also been using the Ren a lot more lately, and remembered how much I like it.

I’m just gonna add the OP-1 when I find a good deal.

One thing that does suck, is the value of the Ren keeps dropping. I don’t know if any MPC has dropped in value as quickly as the Ren. I suppose I could also just get the smaller MPC studio too, since it’s phantom power/more portable.

Holler if you or anyone u know wants to get rid of an OP-1!
Old 19th January 2018
Lives for gear

The only appealing thing about the Live is the portability, IMO. If you already have a 3000 and a Ren, I don't really see it bridging any gaps you would have outside of portability. Even then, I still think the Ren and a laptop are portable enough for taken trips, sure it's not ideal for making music on the spot at a coffee shop or under a tree, but I know that I personally don't make music for that reason. So if you don't need the portability as in just taking it out of a bag and going to work, it just won't offer you much.

I don't know enough about the OP-1 to speak on it, but the people I know use it typically have it in their portable rig for EDM live shows, it's not really a go to for them in general, just saves a lot of setup.
Old 29th May 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginsuthaironchef View Post
I think I’ve decides against the Live. It’s a stand alone MPC, which is cool. But doesn’t accomplish my goal of using something that inspires more experimentation. I’ve also been using the Ren a lot more lately, and remembered how much I like it.

I’m just gonna add the OP-1 when I find a good deal.

One thing that does suck, is the value of the Ren keeps dropping. I don’t know if any MPC has dropped in value as quickly as the Ren. I suppose I could also just get the smaller MPC studio too, since it’s phantom power/more portable.

Holler if you or anyone u know wants to get rid of an OP-1!
Did you buy the OP1 instead of the live? i'm trying to make the same decision! I have an MPC 5000 and i like the portability and creative aspects of the OP1 it's just limitation of only having 4 tracks which is putting me off. I like the look of the live but i feel i was to try something else which offers a different workflow etc.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search