The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking to Upgrade from Mpc4000 to Mpc X
Old 28th August 2017
Gear Addict

Looking to Upgrade from Mpc4000 to Mpc X

Greetings chaps: I'm Looking to Upgrade from Mpc4000 to Mpc X, before I buy I would like to know the following:
1. Is the the Mpc X workable right now minus any deal breaking bugs?
2. How is the Mpc X with uploading previous mpc's programs, kits, songs.
3. Classic mpc, sp1200 modes have they been improved.
I hope to hear some feedback since the hip hop sub group has been a ghostown as of late.
Old 29th August 2017
Lives for gear

I saw a video of someone complaining about their MPC X being extremely buggy, like unusable, freezing, screen flickering for no reason buggy. He was not sure if the MPC X was buggy or his machine was faulty. I am not all that interested in the X so I haven't been doing research, but kind of shocked to see that, even if it was just his unit, as it is a really expensive piece and what was going on was unacceptable. Otherwise, I haven't heard much as most people who already have an MPC are going to the Live for it's portability.
Old 30th August 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalimo View Post
Greetings chaps: I'm Looking to Upgrade from
Mpc4000 to Mpc X, before I buy I would like to know the following:
I hope to hear some feedback since the hip hop sub group has been a ghostown as of late.
This guy had no problems with his X. You should contact him being he has one. I have the Live and they both use the same 2.0.3 software which cleared up a lot of bugs and l have to say midi is tighter, controller mode is tighter etc. I went to my friend house J-Love and has had the X for a couple of weeks and l must say its a beast. Up close l almost peed in my britches lol it feels good. I really am speechless.

I wish l waited for a coupon some stores are dropping 10 to 15% off. You wouldn't have to pay 2,199. Go to all the stores and make a deal or find discounts. First you have to see if they are in stock. I did my pre-order for my live back in January .

Remember there will be complaints about all gear that shouldn't stop you from getting it.

We cut vocals and messed with the effects it is amazing. But hold on to your 4000 though.

You can load legacy pgns. In it check Akai's site it will tell you exactly.
Both machines have vintage mode of the 3000, MPC 60, SP1200 and SP1200 ring mode you'll love that. :-)

Old 30th August 2017
Gear Addict

Thank you I would love to hear more.
Old 30th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave east View Post
Both machines have vintage mode of the 3000, MPC 60, SP1200 and SP1200 ring mode you'll love that. :-)
but the 1200 is not mentioned in the x manual. only the 60 and 3000.
what's 1200 ring mode? does it emulate down pitched samples?

from the manual:
mpc software
„The MPC3000 and MPC60 settings emulate the sounds of those classic MPCs, while the Other setting emulates the sound of vintage sampling drum machines.“

mpc x
„You can apply the particular sonic qualities of, for example, the MPC3000 or MPC60, or of course no emulation ( None).“
Old 31st August 2017
Gear Addict

In earlier documents it stated the sp1200
Old 1st September 2017
Lives for gear

I noticed that there are a lot more 4000s for sale on eBay since the X dropped. So looks like there are other people also looking to "upgrade" - I'm happy with my 4000 though, killer machine.
Old 1st September 2017
SEED78
4000 is possibly the best MPC ever made if you can find a work around for its so so conversion.
Old 1st September 2017
Lives for gear

@ Dave east which one is you in the vid?
Old 1st September 2017
Lives for gear

MPC4000 outfitted with the ADAT card is an unbelievable setup. Gives you "almost" the best of both worlds.

MPC4000+ADAT card+DAW of choice, with DAW used a sound module is GREAT setup!

This REALLY gives you the best of both worlds.

I really miss my 4000....

Last edited by digiman; 1st September 2017 at 05:49 PM..
Old 3rd September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstupid View Post
but the 1200 is not mentioned in the x manual. only the 60 and 3000.
what's 1200 ring mode? does it emulate down pitched samples?

from the manual:
mpc software
„The MPC3000 and MPC60 settings emulate the sounds of those classic MPCs, while the Other setting emulates the sound of vintage sampling drum machines.“

mpc x
„You can apply the particular sonic qualities of, for example, the MPC3000 or MPC60, or of course no emulation ( None).“
The Live which l have has SP1200 ring. Here's a pic of my live. To get to this page you go to your settings. The X has it too. I don't mess with Akai's manual it sucks!

SP1200 ring is a grit type mode. Put it on a kick and your will hear a grit type ring.
Old 3rd September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombapdame View Post
@ Dave east which one is you in the vid?
I'm not in the video. I just got it from Youtube.
Old 3rd September 2017
Gear Addict

My mpc4000 is fully upgraded with tons of customizations, so its not going anywhere. I would like to hear feedback from someone who loaded an old project from a previous machine into the X...
Old 4th September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
My mpc4000 is fully upgraded with tons of customizations, so its not going anywhere. I would like to hear feedback from someone who loaded an old project from a previous machine into the X...
Akai said it can load legacy machine pgms and that's nice. Like you l would like someone to put facts on that.
Old 5th September 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
In earlier documents it stated the sp1200
The SP1200 ring mod has been on MPC's since Renaissance....

its just a software filter (despite Akai first announcing the vintage modes used original circuitry and what not)

i do understand its meant to have improved in 2.0 though
Old 5th September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Bate View Post
The SP1200 ring mod has been on MPC's since Renaissance....

its just a software filter (despite Akai first announcing the vintage modes used original circuitry and what not)

i do understand its meant to have improved in 2.0 though
Ohhhhh yeeeaaah. Add some grit to any sound especially drums ooooo weeeee lol
Old 5th September 2017
Gear Head

Quote:

Ohhhhh yeeeaaah. Add some grit to any sound especially drums ooooo weeeee lol
Yeh ok
Old 5th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Greetings chaps: I'm Looking to Upgrade from Mpc4000 to Mpc X, before I buy I would like to know the following:
1. There are bugs still in the software. There are also things still not implemented in the hardware. For me they aren't deal breakers.

2. The MPC software can load up 4000 files. It is hit or miss, sometimes it will take a lot of effort to get it to sound like the 4000.

3. I'm not sure about an improvement in the emulation modes. I do occasionally use them. Take it with a grain a salt, its just an emulation.
Old 6th September 2017
Gear Addict

For me it was a hit. Whew l am hlad lm not one of those habing issues.

What l wiuld do is buy the X and if it hits keep it for like 6 months and if you're good sell the 4000 or just keep it for back up.
Old 6th September 2017
Gear Addict

Its a dam shame 4000 aint worth crap on ebay. They have 3000s and MPC 60s worth much more.
Old 6th September 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:

I have the Live. No Major bugs that Keep me away from making Music.

Be Aware that the Live will not read Disks (or ZIPs or SD-Cards) properly when they have different partitions made with a legacy MPC.
It only reads the first Partition. (At least with my 2KXL and 3K Mediums)

The SP1200 mode is quite nice. i have a SP1200. of Course it sounds not absolutely like the original, but sounds nice and definitely useable.
Old 6th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
4000 is possibly the best MPC ever made if you can find a work around for its so so conversion.
is the conversion really that bad?
i thought it might be a lot cleaner since it's the only MPC with 24bit conversion.
Old 6th September 2017
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs View Post
i thought it might be a lot cleaner since it's the only MPC with 24bit conversion.
I’ve heard the following from several sources:

1) sampling though the phono inputs (with record player etc) isn’t great quality compared to other Akai models. (some I know just sample with a different machine and load up their library into the 4000 later).

2) the analogue outs are meant to sound a bit crappy - but the ADAT outs are meant to sound very nice, so thats the card to use if you can get it. You jus need a interface with ADAT ins.

Only other plus is they don’t always see very stable. I’ve heard of a few dying in ways other MPCs don’t.

4000 has many plus points though - I was impressed with the one I had for a bit. A good 4000 with a large internal HD, ADAT outs - very hard to beat that.
Old 7th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’ve heard the following from several sources:

1) sampling though the phono inputs (with record player etc) isn’t great quality compared to other Akai models. (some I know just sample with a different machine and load up their library into the 4000 later).

2) the analogue outs are meant to sound a bit crappy - but the ADAT outs are meant to sound very nice, so thats the card to use if you can get it. You jus need a interface with ADAT ins.

Only other plus is they don’t always see very stable. I’ve heard of a few dying in ways other MPCs don’t.

4000 has many plus points though - I was impressed with the one I had for a bit. A good 4000 with a large internal HD, ADAT outs - very hard to beat that.
Quote:

The conversion is cleaner, its different. If someone is willing, post up the frequency charts for the different MPC's. We would get a better idea without the bias and hearsay.

This file is from a Technics with an Ortofon needle straight into the 4000.
Attached Files

untitled1.wav (1.62 MB, 2087 views)

Old 15th September 2017
Gear Addict

2. forget transfering .akp which use the modulation matrix (or filters, or -individual LFO's, or portamento) since this/these are not implemented in MPC live nor X
no multi's neither

there is some rumor this week that 24/96 KHz samples (in general, not specially from the MPC4k) don't transfer that good in the Live or X - esp. 24bit samples are prone to aliasing when pitched way up/down

only thing i hate in my MPC4k is the selection (window) when copying (notes etc) disappears when done
+ no possibility for independent track length in one sequence

i've got the (8) ADAT out from the MPC hooked into a EMU Ultra with RFX, that's a weird combo

Last edited by tiger001; 15th September 2017 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: add.
Old 20th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Exactly. I was wondering why he saw it as an upgrade.

The converters are a bit light in the low end, but it's a great machine. I think it's a mistake to buy MPCs based on reading your old library. It's always hit or miss conversion. I fyou like the workflow of the new ones, you get one and use it going forward. If you want your old stuff, use the old machine so there's no compromise.
Old 20th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Its a dam shame 4000 aint worth crap on ebay. They have 3000s and MPC 60s worth much more.
Shhhh, they don't know.

I saw an 808 going for $5k the other day.
Old 20th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's light in the bass end. I compared it right next to a 3k which sounded better. When I change over to Apogee converters, I prefer the 4k. By no means are the 4000 converters bad though.
Old 20th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
It's light in the bass end. I compared it right next to a 3k which sounded better. When I change over to Apogee converters, I prefer the 4k. By no means are the 4000 converters bad though.

I think it might be the opposite. Keep in mind the file I uploaded is from vinyl. Vinyl rarely goes below 20 to 30 khz.

Here's a 4000 chart:

Sampling drum sounds - AudioPervert -
Old 20th September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
Shhhh, they don't know.

I saw an 808 going for $5k the other day.
Nawwwh. 5 stacks? 808?
You think the 808 is better than the 4000?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search