The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Looking to Upgrade from Mpc4000 to Mpc X
Old 3 weeks ago
BHW
Gear Nut

yeah but white gets ugly very fast. The blue one looks majestic and elegant. Amazing machine.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
yeah but white gets ugly very fast. The blue one looks majestic and elegant. Amazing machine.
Yeah please send me those very ugly 60's, 60II's, 3k's and 4k's

What issues did you have with your blue unit beyond a display needing to be replaced?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Honestly im thining of grabbing a 4k and just refurbing it from all the stuff at mpcstuff.com . Im not in a rush to do it but it would be a slow process so i dont mess up anything. The 5k is nice and i love it but I really would like to be able to use 96k now and its the only damn one that can do it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Unless you all are specifically after the sequencer, why not a Z4/8? Same sampler and probably in better shape. And then maybe pair it with a more modern MPC, Live or X.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
Honestly im thining of grabbing a 4k and just refurbing it from all the stuff at mpcstuff.com . Im not in a rush to do it but it would be a slow process so i dont mess up anything. The 5k is nice and i love it but I really would like to be able to use 96k now and its the only damn one that can do it.
The only catch with the 4k is you can't have multiple digital outs at 96k.
Old 3 weeks ago
The 4K blows the 5K away under the hood all around. Its the only one with a REAL full on sampler in it. Its the MPC sample manglers dream machine. Im still debating whether to go from the MPC Software to a Live or just get one of the 'real' ones. Been steering towards the 5000 this whole time since its basically the exact same thing their software MPC is, but apparently that thing cant reliably do the one job its supposed to, be a stable MIDI clock. Seen plenty of gripes about it at the MPC forums, but then again people are still using them. There was even one literally down the street from me maxed out for $800 or so a few weeks ago. The Z engine in the 4000 though combined with the old Akai's sequencer handy work. Mmmmm.
Old 3 weeks ago
BHW
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
Yeah please send me those very ugly 60's, 60II's, 3k's and 4k's

What issues did you have with your blue unit beyond a display needing to be replaced?
no i need to keep them, cause there is no other color for them. Maybe i do something with foil to help that anemic white.

i did an upgrade to the display with an led backlight. then i needed to clean the FX Board which was dirty from the previous owner. The FX did not worked. Else everything is fine and performs like a champ.
Old 3 weeks ago
BHW
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
you dont need 96khz, there is been so many hits made with samplers with lower samplerate. check the sound if you like it or not.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
you dont need 96khz, there is been so many hits made with samplers with lower samplerate. check the sound if you like it or not.
I feel you, but i just moved everything to 24/96 so it would be nice to just move everything to 96, does really sound much better, i have heard this result.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Way too dark brother, plus the white one has a more classic analog sound. Get the white one and go to town with the color scheme in the pads and knobs via mpc stuff. P.s the analog statement was a joke.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
no i need to keep them, cause there is no other color for them. Maybe i do something with foil to help that anemic white.

i did an upgrade to the display with an led backlight. then i needed to clean the FX Board which was dirty from the previous owner. The FX did not worked. Else everything is fine and performs like a champ.
My FX card hasn’t worked for years maybe I should do the same.
Old 3 weeks ago
BHW
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalimo View Post

you have to take everything out of the mpc. so only do it if you know what you are doing. clean it with isopropyl.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's akai ffx, broken is probably an improvement.

That's the one expansion I don't regret skipping.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Thanks.. the last thing I want to do is open up my mpc4k last time I replace all the tack switches, rotary encoder, pad sensor, upgraded the hard drive to an SSD. The quitter fan was the only upgrade I didn’t do. I remember I had issues with the pads when I closed it all up. Trust me I don’t want to do that again.
Old 3 weeks ago
BHW
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thanks.. the last thing I want to do is open up my mpc4k last time I replace all the tack switches, rotary encoder, pad sensor, upgraded the hard drive to an SSD. The quitter fan was the only upgrade I didn’t do. I remember I had issues with the pads when I closed it all up. Trust me I don’t want to do that again.
as i said only do it if you are confident in what you are doing. i did this a few times and the mpc 4k is a difficult and delicate unit.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Update I ended up receiving an MPCX, after extended use this thing is a beast. I’ve not used my mpc4000 for a couple of months now. I like the daw integrations and the fact that when you make a beat you could instantly bounce the track to a computer. What I miss in the mpc4k are the filters. In the end I might still go back.
So you don't like the filters that Akai offers? Pretty dope to me. I have the live. Glad you enjoy your machine.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The 4k and X/live both have great filters.Very different tho.The 4k filters sound thicker/heavier but you have to go really easy on the resonance.Live/X/software are thinner but more detailed imo.I love the 8 pole high pass

-The 4k effects are pretty good too.No thrills hardware effects and quite detailed.Everything about the Live/X ect is more software related.So obviously more complex.Really like them.My setup at this moment is working well.Sending digital material (Ipad ect) through the MPC1000 (roughing it up) and the SP404 and into the REn/Software for rearanging and enhancing/controlling.This is a good honest no nonesense setup.Altho the Ren is a great piece i dont even really need it with the software and Motu soundcard and controller (for instance MPC1000 ect) or just clicking around on the screen.I prefer the Ren/software to the Live and X.Would be cool to be able to control the software with the ipad tho....
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave east View Post
So you don't like the filters that Akai offers? Pretty dope to me. I have the live. Glad you enjoy your machine.
it’s a matter of preference.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
The 4k and X/live both have great filters.Very different tho.The 4k filters sound thicker/heavier but you have to go really easy on the resonance.Live/X/software are thinner but more detailed imo.I love the 8 pole high pass

-The 4k effects are pretty good too.No thrills hardware effects and quite detailed.Everything about the Live/X ect is more software related.So obviously more complex.Really like them.My setup at this moment is working well.Sending digital material (Ipad ect) through the MPC1000 (roughing it up) and the SP404 and into the REn/Software for rearanging and enhancing/controlling.This is a good honest no nonesense setup.Altho the Ren is a great piece i dont even really need it with the software and Motu soundcard and controller (for instance MPC1000 ect) or just clicking around on the screen.I prefer the Ren/software to the Live and X.Would be cool to be able to control the software with the ipad tho....
Hey if you dont need your Ren, send it over here, I could use the extra Q-Links myself! :D
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
Hey if you dont need your Ren, send it over here, I could use the extra Q-Links myself! :D
Ha the Ren is great.Its totally intergrated with the SW.Solid piece of gear.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Ha the Ren is great.Its totally intergrated with the SW.Solid piece of gear.
Yeah Im still toying with the idea of getting one for the bigger surface/q-links and whatnot but I can't tell if Akai has left it behind already or if they're going to keep treating it like my black Studio as current. I really want a flip up display too. I got a cool laptop stand thing for it so Im not killing my neck hunched over it, but it still moves around a bit when you hit it because of the angle.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
Yeah Im still toying with the idea of getting one for the bigger surface/q-links and whatnot but I can't tell if Akai has left it behind already or if they're going to keep treating it like my black Studio as current. I really want a flip up display too. I got a cool laptop stand thing for it so Im not killing my neck hunched over it, but it still moves around a bit when you hit it because of the angle.
It seems they are supporting it atm.Im using 2.6.No glitches or limitations.Ive had the Live and X and i really prefer this with the software right there.Build quality and feel also.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
It seems they are supporting it atm.Im using 2.6.No glitches or limitations.Ive had the Live and X and i really prefer this with the software right there.Build quality and feel also.
Yeah its hard to follow the posts at the Akai forums because, I hate to say it, alot of those people that post there haven't the first clue what theyre even doing with their computer let alone installing a driver haha. Seen a couple people with some issues with the latest MacOS and the Ren over at the MPC Forums but I cant remember if they got taken care of or not..

Not even kidding, theres one on the local Craigslist for $900 HAAAAAAAAAAAAH.
The best part is, when you reorder the ads by date, it pops up right along side a 5000 for the same price, and a whole crapload of Lives for cheaper, with the usual load of $300 2000s hah. I was gonna email him and offer like $300 but I didnt wanna be the guy that had to break his heart and tell him that its not one of the 'real' MPCs worth $900 hehe.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search