The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking to Upgrade from Mpc4000 to Mpc X
Old 20th September 2017
Lives for gear

I don't understand how the 4000 has legato for keygroups and the Live/X doesn't?
Old 21st September 2017
Gear Addict

I don't need Legato, l have that, and Portamento/Glide in my program so l can bend notes. Akai may put that in.
Old 21st September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave east View Post
I don't need Legato, l have that, and Portamento/Glide in my program so l can bend notes. Akai may put that in.
No talking about your needs, talking about what I need/want from these new MPC'S and u must have it in a different program because the Live/X doesn't have portamento/glide!!!
Pitch bend and Glide/portamento are two different things....
Old 21st September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nawwwh. 5 stacks? 808?
You think the 808 is better than the 4000?
2 totally different animals. I could do anything with a 4k and no 808. I could only make an 8 sound like an 8. Truth be told, I always thought Roland samplers sounded better than Akai S series. I was shocked Roland didn't make a sampling drum machine first. They should have made the R8 with a sampler. Roland clearly had skill making drum machines.
Old 21st September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalimo View Post
My mpc4000 is fully upgraded with tons of customizations, so its not going anywhere. I would like to hear feedback from someone who loaded an old project from a previous machine into the X...
What did you customize on your 4?
Old 21st September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smack Dammit View Post
No talking about your needs, talking about what I need/want from these new MPC'S and u must have it in a different program because the Live/X doesn't have portamento/glide!!!
Pitch bend and Glide/portamento are two different things....
Do you have the X or Live? If you do didn't you check out the specs before buying it?
I said lm not worried is because myself and others have other apparatus to suffice that need. If you don't have those MPCs then don't worry about something that probably won't happen.
Old 21st September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
2 totally different animals. I could do anything with a 4k and no 808. I could only make an 8 sound like an 8. Truth be told, I always thought Roland samplers sounded better than Akai S series. I was shocked Roland didn't make a sampling drum machine first. They should have made the R8 with a sampler. Roland clearly had skill making drum machines.
l agree 100% with you! l never got into the Akai S series. That 4000 is very nice.
Old 21st September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you have the X or Live? If you do didn't you check out the specs before buying it?
I said lm not worried is because myself and others have other apparatus to suffice that need. If you don't have those MPCs then don't worry about something that probably won't happen.
No I don't have the X/live but had the Studio black for a few months running 1.9.x and was shocked that I couldn't do this in 2017, why would I not think it should do this when the 4000 can glide notes(808's) and how old is that machine? Not just me either if you check the MPC live thread in the electronic section, people are requesting this as well...

Do u work for Akai or just an hype'd up fan boy! These new MPC'S are great no doubt(I want one) but they come with faults as well and for 1000 or 2300 it should be able to do this basic stuff!!!
Old 21st September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smack Dammit View Post
No I don't have the X/live but had the Studio black for a few months running 1.9.x and was shocked that I couldn't do this in 2017, why would I not think it should do this when the 4000 can glide notes(808's) and how old is that machine? Not just me either if you check the MPC live thread in the electronic section, people are requesting this as well...

Do u work for Akai or just an hype'd up fan boy! These new MPC'S are great no doubt(I want one) but they come with faults as well and for 1000 or 2300 it should be able to do this basic stuff!!!
Here's the solution tou YOUR problem.
1. Buy a 4000. You can get one for like $400 to $600 bucks of ebay.
2. Stop looking for Akai to do something you claim YOU NEED and go to another company.

No l don't work for Akai but l will not let something like Legato or Glide motion stop me from making music because l need it.
Old 21st September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here's the solution tou YOUR problem.
1. Buy a 4000. You can get one for like $400 to $600 bucks of ebay.
2. Stop looking for Akai to do something you claim YOU NEED and go to another company.

No l don't work for Akai but l will not let something like Legato or Glide motion stop me from making music because l need it.

I need no solution/advice from you, thanks but no thanks!
Definitely not looking for Akai to do anything for me but this is something that was already there so how is the X an upgrade from the 4000....
In stand-alone they are just about the same minus that cool screen and cv stuff, the 4000 can actually load 500 mb of samples without crashing, both can have hard drives and usb ports for thumb drives,etc.. The Z4(mpc4000) sampler is better imho more features, can't copy notes in the grid on the X/Live and no list editor either! Effects on both suck imho and all the cool stuff the X/live can do u need the SW to do and even that doesn't have PDC so put a plug like slate VTM on a track and watch it fall way behind and the SW is still in beta isn't it?
You have the X and the Live right,wow Akai really appreciates you, a person that buys 3500 dollars worth of MPC's and just takes all there bullsh!t and never challenging the company to stay innovating, just happy to have one or in your case two... The Live thread in the electronic music section is filled with guys giving great honest advice about the live/X good and bad not this one sided fan boy ish you cook up...
Old 25th September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12860855
What did you customize on your 4?
I wish I could post a picture but I don't know too. I drop in a ssd drive, new thick pads, a red white and blue color scheme with the buttons, quieter fans. I redid all the tack switches. The machine runs like a dream.
Old 25th September 2017
Gear Addict

are the thick pads a good upgrade? did you include new pad sensors?

how did you redo the tack switches ? just a clean or new ones?

did you use a IDE SSD or a sata SSD with (ide->sata) bridge?
Old 25th September 2017
Lives for gear

the thick pads are a great update for any MPC model.
Old 2nd July 2018
Gear Head

I’m grabbing a 4K keeping an ssd drive to carry my core sounds 20 times over 24/96 capability a total of 10 outs and other dope things that match my workflow. Might be a few years till I give live a chance I like sticking with what works.
Old 2nd July 2018
Gear Head

I’m grabbing a 4K keeping an ssd drive to carry my core sounds 20 times over 24/96 capability a total of 10 outs and other dope things that match my workflow. Might be a few years till I give live a chance I like sticking with what works.
Old 3rd August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I wish I could post a picture but I don't know too. I drop in a ssd drive, new thick pads, a red white and blue color scheme with the buttons, quieter fans. I redid all the tack switches. The machine runs like a dream.
I think I'm real late to the party. I'm about to get an ssd and quieter fans. Are the pads an improvement or just cosmetic?

A friend of mine may give me his adat card to use with a Rosetta 800.

I'm gonna skip the X and stay on my 4k.
Old 3rd August 2019
Lives for gear

I have a 2500 and am probably gonna sell it and see if the 4k is up to snuff. I use the 5k and am happy with it but would love to be able to use the wordlock out of my XB HD I/O to clock the mediocre converters.
Old 3rd August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
I have a 2500 and am probably gonna sell it and see if the 4k is up to snuff. I use the 5k and am happy with it but would love to be able to use the wordlock out of my XB HD I/O to clock the mediocre converters.
At <$800, the 4k is a steal if it's in good condition. Dudes are giving them away. I like mine.
Old 3rd August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
At <$800, the 4k is a steal if it's in good condition. Dudes are giving them away. I like mine.
What would i have to keep my eye out for when getting one?
Old 25th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
I think I'm real late to the party. I'm about to get an ssd and quieter fans. Are the pads an improvement or just cosmetic?

A friend of mine may give me his adat card to use with a Rosetta 800.

I'm gonna skip the X and stay on my 4k.
Update I ended up receiving an MPCX, after extended use this thing is a beast. I’ve not used my mpc4000 for a couple of months now. I like the daw integrations and the fact that when you make a beat you could instantly bounce the track to a computer. What I miss in the mpc4k are the filters. In the end I might still go back.
Old 25th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
The prices have gone up. Just make sure all the buttons, knobs, rotary wheels works. The tact switches and the pad sensors are the first to go bad. Check the back to make sure it’s a fully loaded adapts, all 8 output, memory expansion is important also.
Old 25th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not sure, but it seems all my friends with white ones had fewer problems than those who had blue machines.
Old 25th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Update I ended up receiving an MPCX, after extended use this thing is a beast. I’ve not used my mpc4000 for a couple of months now. I like the daw integrations and the fact that when you make a beat you could instantly bounce the track to a computer. What I miss in the mpc4k are the filters. In the end I might still go back.
Do I need an MPCx, or should I pick up something like a touch to go with my 4k, and add modern conveniences?
Old 26th August 2019
Gear Addict

i followed the same path (white 4k-> X) this januari
had my 4000 like 7/8 years
it was up to date with SSD & CF reader/writer

still, i've not touched it since switching

the X is constantly evolving, while the 4k is not (anymore)

they even had some bugs from the 4k removed in the new workflow(s)

for (special) filters or SP12/00 treatment, i turn to eurorack & sample in the X
Old 26th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger001 View Post
i followed the same path (white 4k-> X) this januari
had my 4000 like 7/8 years
it was up to date with SSD & CF reader/writer

still, i've not touched it since switching

the X is constantly evolving, while the 4k is not (anymore)

they even had some bugs from the 4k removed in the new workflow(s)

for (special) filters or SP12/00 treatment, i turn to eurorack & sample in the X
I hear you I’m in love with the MpcX right now, but trust I will go back to my Mpc4000 soon or later. I’ve spent well over a decade with that unit..too much history. I think they both compliment each other in workflow and vibe
Old 26th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
I'm not sure, but it seems all my friends with white ones had fewer problems than those who had blue machines.
Ridiculous statement. Mine works like a dream and always has.
Old 26th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSC View Post
Ridiculous statement. Mine works like a dream and always has.
Which part is ridiculous? How can the fact that I stated be ridiculous?

I spoke of what I observed and was told by others. How many units do you have?
Old 26th August 2019
Gear Guru

I think there was some issue with how they implemented the pads on the blue ones. people started replacing them, and the white one didn't have the issue. I think it was something along those lines.
Old 27th August 2019
BHW
Gear Maniac

i have a blue one. When i got it it had a few problems but i sorted this and since then it works fine.
Old 27th August 2019
Gear Addict

Never like the blue one...anyone knows the classic akai stuff are white.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search