The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Jaycen Joshua Parallel Compression Post
Old 7th August 2017
Gear Head

Jaycen Joshua Parallel Compression Post

So Jaycen Joshua posts tips in hashtags on he's instagram. I have learned some cool stuff on there. This one was really interesting but left me with tons of questions. From what I gathered he puts his drums though the shadow hills. Then uses parallel compresses to get the transients and sub freq he lost from compressing in the first place. Understood. The part that is confusing is this: #FromTheShadowHillsYouMustParallelItBackIn . So are we taking the output of the SH and routing it back though again?? Also wonder if he's talking just kick/sn or cymbals as well...If you ever look at he's console it's groups of drums/drums comp/hi perc/vocals/music..any thoughts?

Here is the posts
jaycenjoshuaCompliments of @ FrankD ukes ⚡️
#ShadowHillsOnTheDrumBuss
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Fan of your channel. I'm not sure on what method he's talking about either, but let's try all the methods that we think it could be.

-Parallel inside plugin.
-Parallel on an aux.
-Parallel from an aux back into itself.

-Fish
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Hey Matty. I don't have an answer to your question but did you know he now has a video on MWTM? He doesn't go in to depth, as of yet for me..haven't finished the series yet, about the shadow hills compressor on drums. Lots of good tidbits of info so far. I would love to sit with him for a week. So would every one else to I suppose.

Edit: I like your YT channel too..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Would love to check his MWTM video, but am I right you can only watch it if you've paid for the 300+ bucks deal?
Would be fine paying for the video alone.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yes Fanu you are correct. You have to pay for the subscription. IMO, it's worth it. Many video series I feel the engineer could have gone into depth a little more but overall I'm glad I have it. Michael Brauer's videos are worth it alone.
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedbymatty View Post
So Jaycen Joshua posts tips in hashtags on he's instagram. I have learned some cool stuff on there. This one was really interesting but left me with tons of questions. From what I gathered he puts his drums though the shadow hills. Then uses parallel compresses to get the transients and sub freq he lost from compressing in the first place. Understood. The part that is confusing is this: #FromTheShadowHillsYouMustParallelItBackIn . So are we taking the output of the SH and routing it back though again?? Also wonder if he's talking just kick/sn or cymbals as well...If you ever look at he's console it's groups of drums/drums comp/hi perc/vocals/music..any thoughts?

Here is the posts
Holy ****, Matty Trump?!? What's up, man! What a fun surprise this morning. Blast from the past.

Er, i have no input WRT your original question...just wanna say hi and hope you're well. Didn't realize you'd moved out west!
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
Yes Fanu you are correct. You have to pay for the subscription. IMO, it's worth it. Many video series I feel the engineer could have gone into depth a little more but overall I'm glad I have it. Michael Brauer's videos are worth it alone.
Noted. Will be looking to invest soon.

It's funny how I've broken the time seal by replying on this thread.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedByFish View Post
Noted. Will be looking to invest soon.

It's funny how I've broken the time seal by replying on this thread.
if you're interested in solely modern engineering techniques especially hip-hop/rap genre then MWTM might not be for you. Maybe it will be in the future, but as of right now not really.

I paid the $329 when they did a series with Leslie Braithwaite. In my head I was thinking they were going to dig into that space more in the future, but they have yet to add another series related to hip hop/rap since.

Not only that, but much of the info they give is information they have already given in previous interviews or free videos. The rest of the information I found to be pretty standard that most engineers know already.

Subscribing to Mix with Masters was a huge mistake and I regret it to this day, that money could have gone into something far more productive. It just isn't worth the money in my opinion. They do not update it enough for it to be worth it to me. And there was never really any "secret pro tricks" I learned from it. To a beginner it may be a great tool, but it just wasn't for me.

The videos also feel a lot more like a promotional video than a "tutorial" as they move very fast and much of it is just skimped by without much deep or intuitive information. If you're expecting a very in depth deep dive into all the techniques of these engineers you will be very disappointed.

I honestly believe they would be far more successful lowering the price or offering to pay a series by itself without having to subscribe to the whole thing. I have absolutely no interest in 90% of the series on there and the other 10% I might pay $50 for
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodakell View Post

And there was never really any "secret pro tricks" I learned from it.
Because there is no secret pro tricks !
I’ve been to MWTM twice and really, there is no trick
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I paid the $329 when they did a series with Leslie Braithwaite. In my head I was thinking they were going to dig into that space more in the future, but they have yet to add another series related to hip hop/rap since.
This is a great point to be made with good insight. Now I'm wondering if the MWTM Jaycen Joshua video is worth it.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedByFish View Post
This is a great point to be made with good insight. Now I'm wondering if the MWTM Jaycen Joshua video is worth it.
Maybe that video alone is worth it, I have not seen it so I cannot speak about it. The real questions is, is that video worth $329??? I doubt it.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Anyways I think I might know what he means. I believe he may be parallel compressing, then taking the dry signal and the parallel signal and bringing them together in a bus and processing them together as one entity.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have absolutely no interest in 90% of the series on there and the other 10% I might pay $50 for
I'd be fine paying 20 for the video.
No video service is worth 320+ to me; already covered with the basics etc and making my living as an engineer.
But would love to see a video by another pro to pick up some vibes and special tricks.
TBH I'm surprised if a lot of ppl are willing to pay 320+ in one go.

EDIT: Definitely don't want to sound like a moaner. If they're doing great business, that's good.
Just can't help thinking they might do even better if they allowed monthly subs or one-off video payments.
It's always pros who are willing to spend more, but I'm not sure pros are the exact target group; it's prob those who are not pros yet.

Last edited by Fanu; 4 days ago at 09:46 AM..
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe that video alone is worth it, I have not seen it so I cannot speak about it. The real questions is, is that video worth $329??? I doubt it.
I wouldn't pay $329 for that video but I feel overall, for me, the subscription was worth it. I am not around pro engineers that I can learn different techniques from and there are multiple engineers that I've learned some valuable techniques from. Andrew Scheps has many, Greg Wells and definitley..Michael Brauer. My biggest gripe is not many go into detail. I learned quite a bit from the Tony Maserati videos as well. I'd say it was money well spent FOR ME.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedbymatty View Post

Here is the posts
I'm Pretty sure the SH is direct on the drum bus, not parallel.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Did a mix yesterday where I used the SH comp on parallel with its slower comp, hammering it.
Sounded great, client loved it.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNeedle View Post
I'm Pretty sure the SH is direct on the drum bus, not parallel.
Yes it’s on the drum bus.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Jaycen took a full day(or two) on Instagram to answer mixing questions. Tons of info was shared but it's a longggggg post. I forgot what day it was but you can search for it. lol

www.instagram.com/jaycenjoshua/

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search