The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
30 years ... Microphone Fiend Kick Drum?
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

30 years ... Microphone Fiend Kick Drum?

I have been trying to replicate the 808/909 ish kick from that song since 88. There isn't enough to sample it. It's probably my favorite kick drum of all time. I've been hoping to read about how that sound was achieved back then.

Does anyone know anything about it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPfIIn5V_LQ

Very interested to hear about the theories.
Old 9th February 2017

Might be an 808 BD with distortion, reverb and further processing.
Old 9th February 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by illynoise View Post
There isn't enough to sample it.
Seems to be wide open at the end of the album version, here it is on its own --
http://sndup.net/9f87/MicFiend+kick.wav

And here with the rest of the drum sounds --
http://sndup.net/7ny5/MicFiend+drums.wav
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

Wouldnt be surprised if its an SP12 stock sound, drenched in reverb
Old 10th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertyBert View Post
Seems to be wide open at the end of the album version, here it is on its own --
http://sndup.net/9f87/MicFiend+kick.wav

And here with the rest of the drum sounds --
http://sndup.net/7ny5/MicFiend+drums.wav

I've tried to sample that since 88, but the kick cuts off too quickly before the snare comes in. The snare sound probably gives the drum machine away. I don't know what snare that is.
Old 10th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDEED View Post
That's a pretty good guess, being that marley had some production on the first album and the sp's were in abundance back in the late 80s in new york.

The only thing about the 808 theory is that the attack and Q on the front sounds almost like a 909 kick drum.
Old 10th February 2017
Lives for gear

As I was looking through my other threads...I guess I asked the same question 10 years ago back in 2007. Sorry, I searched but didn't see it. Here is the original..: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-...one-fiend.html
Old 10th February 2017
Lives for gear
what about an overcompressed pitched Tom or Timpani?

peace
Old 10th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDEED View Post
Yeah didn't sound like an 808 to me. What ever it is it sounds like some verb. Saw Rakim live late last year. When Mic Fiend came on I remember saying to myself, that kick is like no other.
Old 11th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpiper0815 View Post
what about an overcompressed pitched Tom or Timpani?

peace
I like that theory. Could be. I think if we decode where the snare is from we get the correct answer.
Old 11th February 2017

The snare reminds me of:

Old 11th February 2017
Gear Nut

The 808 layer is definitely a separate sample because if you listen close at 0:24 seconds in, the 8th note before the verse starts you can hear it naked, like 0000 said sounds like it was over driven to the max, with all frequencies cut over 300hz

I think peterpiper0815 is close (the main layer), it could also have been pitched down an octave - I could've sworn Scott Storch was doing similar things on LeanBack+ Ja Rule ClapBack

I could be hearing things, but the tail end of the 808 seem to be gliding upwards in pitch like Humpty Dance?
Old 11th February 2017
Lives for gear
So I listened to the SP kits of the original disks, found a Tom sample from the ZD504 Standard Traps floppy that sounded promising and played around a bit (pitched down and add a lopass filter with an envelope matching the SP1200 filter on output 1/2 and compressed the ish out of it with a limiter). Thats what came out.

peace

Last edited by peterpiper0815; 11th February 2017 at 11:01 PM..
Old 13th February 2017

Quote:
So I listened to the SP kits of the original disks, found a Tom sample from the ZD504 Standard Traps floppy that sounded promising and played around a bit (pitched down and add a lopass filter with an envelope matching the SP1200 filter on output 1/2 and compressed the ish out of it with a limiter). Thats what came out.

peace
Nice try

Thanks for sharing.
Old 13th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

peace

That's pretty damn close if you ask me...
Old 13th February 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
I've tried to sample that since 88, but the kick cuts off too quickly before the snare comes in. The snare sound probably gives the drum machine away. I don't know what snare that is.
It's is definitely a distorted 909 snare with some reverb. I'm guessing so is the kick.
Old 14th February 2017

You might want to ask Mark the 45 King. I've seen him respond on YT before.

Quote:
There have also been rumours about Mark The 45 King working behind the scenes on much of the "Follow The Leader" sessions.

the producer confirmed he did the beat for "Microphone Fiend" which he created with Fab Five Freddy in mind. 45 King also ended up doing a remix of the song which appeared on the single release of the song the same year.
The Lost Tapes: Eric. B & Rakim production mysteries

https://www.youtube.com/user/markhjames
Old 17th February 2017
Lives for gear

I don't know why, but I'm not thinking it was an SP. I used to own an SP12 Turbo. Somehow I just don't see it. I could be wrong. Honestly it almost sounds like a tuned tom from the yamaha RX5 or 7. BTW I asked 45 king on youtube. A client of mine is doing a show next week with Rakim, I'm going to try to get that question to him.
Old 19th February 2017

Quote:
I don't know why, but I'm not thinking it was an SP. I used to own an SP12 Turbo. Somehow I just don't see it. I could be wrong. Honestly it almost sounds like a tuned tom from the yamaha RX5 or 7. BTW I asked 45 king on youtube. A client of mine is doing a show next week with Rakim, I'm going to try to get that question to him.
Keep us posted.
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

I'm still looking for this....That SP tom sound is probably the best candidate. Where can I find the waves of the ZD504 Standard Traps?
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
I'm still looking for this....That SP tom sound is probably the best candidate. Where can I find the waves of the ZD504 Standard Traps?
I’ll look to see if I have them handy.
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Addict

In a Marley Marl interview, he said he often put 808s or (I think SSL 4000) board-generates synth tones under sampled kicks.

Marley supposedly also started with the inexpensive Korg sampler (DDD-1? forgot the name), which, if I recall, offered onboard samples and/or samples available through cards, in addition to user-supplied samples.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search