The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mpc X
Old 1st January 2017
  #91
Gear Maniac
Two instrument jacks on the front. Not my favorite placement, but hey, hope there's plenty on the other side. Function key to use the mode buttons (which include XY FX and Looper) below the screen for switching tabs, I like that. Great location for the main volume dial, below the other four mixer knobs.

Here's an even better quality image (seems GS downsized the one here when it was uploaded): https://s27.postimg.org/y4h3cpv4z/x_Gqhc4w.jpg
Old 1st January 2017
  #92
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smack Dammit View Post
Yeah it may not bother some as much as it bothers you and for me its not such a big problem, ableton is pretty good at taking in exactly what I play and Yes we all know that hardware does not have latency , gees some people speak on things like they were the only one to have them,please stop it! I don't care what you say you'll never make an MV swing/bounce like an MPC... Something the the hardware fanboys never talk about is tracking beats out and saving beats if you had an mpc and a few modules you know what I'm talking about ,now that is a real chore and that alone is what made me drop hardware for SW, that was the trade off for me 1.A bit of latency and just hitting save one time and everything comes back up just like I left it. or 2.Having midi notes played exactly how I played them then saving in a few different machines(**** I use to just leave mine on until I tracked it out,was scared to cut things off in fear of not being able to pull back up all my sounds) then taking and hr to track things out which was a hole other head ache!!!!

Agreed,DAW software offer options to reduce latency to the point where it's not a problem at all. You reduce the samples when recording drums,DAWs have recording latency compensation offset. If you use a good soundcard with good drivers you'll get low latency. No problem for me at all.
Old 1st January 2017
  #93
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
I'm up for the MPCx without a doubt.

Gonna be calling my Sweetwater rep this week to get an order in.

Cheers
lol Dam you got the reps too?
My rep is Paul but i think on this one Ima use American Music Supply and pay installments.
Without doubt that baby is coming home with me.
Im keeping an eye out on ebay to see how many Rens and Touches go on sale there lol

Does anyone know hoe the MPC Live looks?
Old 1st January 2017
  #94
mp3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smack Dammit View Post
and Yes we all know that hardware does not have latency
Hardware has MIDI latency. Everything has MIDI latency. The latency is not the problem. Variable latency, AKA jitter, is the problem.

Hardware is better as far as variable latency (one note is slightly late the next note is way late, etc). In hardware the latency tends to be constant. In software it can be all over the place depending on your particular setup. And there's no workaround because the delay isn't constant. If your system gives you pretty good MIDI timing and doesn't affect your recording then its no big deal for you and that's cool too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smack Dammit View Post
Something the the hardware fanboys never talk about is tracking beats out and saving beats if you had an mpc and a few modules you know what I'm talking about ,now that is a real chore and that alone is what made me drop hardware for SW, that was the trade off for me 1.A bit of latency and just hitting save one time and everything comes back up just like I left it. or 2.Having midi notes played exactly how I played them then saving in a few different machines(**** I use to just leave mine on until I tracked it out,was scared to cut things off in fear of not being able to pull back up all my sounds) then taking and hr to track things out which was a hole other head ache!!!!
I won't lie it is a pain in the ass. The way I get around it is to resample the tracks as loops in my MPC and import those to my DAW. I also don't do a whole lot on my MPC mainly just the skeleton of the beat and flesh it out in the DAW. So I don't have dozens of tracks to track out, usually just 3-4.
1
Share
Old 1st January 2017
  #95
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
Hardware has MIDI latency. Everything has MIDI latency. The latency is not the problem. Variable latency, AKA jitter, is the problem.

Hardware is better as far as variable latency (one note is slightly late the next note is way late, etc). In hardware the latency tends to be constant. In software it can be all over the place depending on your particular setup. And there's no workaround because the delay isn't constant. If your system gives you pretty good MIDI timing and doesn't affect your recording then its no big deal for you and that's cool too.



I won't lie it is a pain in the ass. The way I get around it is to resample the tracks as loops in my MPC and import those to my DAW. I also don't do a whole lot on my MPC mainly just the skeleton of the beat and flesh it out in the DAW. So I don't have dozens of tracks to track out, usually just 3-4.
It has nothing to do with midi why hardware is tighter than software for midi recording. Midi is almost instantaneous and latency is unnoticeable. The reason why hardware is better at recording/capturing notes is because there's no audio loop that has to take place to a sound card/converter like in software or the loop in hardware is much shorter. The problem in software is midi not being in sync with the audio ie the delay when you play a note till the time you hear it,which throws you off playing notes. That's the reason why you get better results with latency when you lower the buffer (samples). More samples more delay from the point of triggering a note to hearing it. Again,if person understands how to lower latency in software it's not a problem at all.
1
Share
Old 2nd January 2017
  #96
mp3
Lives for gear
 

If you think audio latency is what the issue is then i don't know what to tell you. Audio latency is just another constant delay and as I said before you can work around a constant delay. It's when the delay varies that you have an issue. And that's precisely the issue with USB MIDI.
2
Share
Old 2nd January 2017
  #97
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlippedZip View Post
Two instrument jacks on the front. Not my favorite placement, but hey, hope there's plenty on the other side. Function key to use the mode buttons (which include XY FX and Looper) below the screen for switching tabs, I like that. Great location for the main volume dial, below the other four mixer knobs.

Here's an even better quality image (seems GS downsized the one here when it was uploaded): https://s27.postimg.org/y4h3cpv4z/x_Gqhc4w.jpg
Those instrument jacks in front is for fast hook up if your friend comes over and the ones in the back are taken up. It might be 8 outs in the back. It better be!
Old 2nd January 2017
  #98
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
If you think audio latency is what the issue is then i don't know what to tell you. Audio latency is just another constant delay and as I said before you can work around a constant delay. It's when the delay varies that you have an issue. And that's precisely the issue with USB MIDI.
Bro you must be a straight up hardware dude because your knowledge of software is very limited. Read a book. I found an article from SOS that explains the exact thing I just said.
Integrating MIDI Hardware with Ableton Live | Sound On Sound
Old 2nd January 2017
  #99
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
Hardware has MIDI latency. Everything has MIDI latency. The latency is not the problem. Variable latency, AKA jitter, is the problem.

Hardware is better as far as variable latency (one note is slightly late the next note is way late, etc). In hardware the latency tends to be constant. In software it can be all over the place depending on your particular setup. And there's no workaround because the delay isn't constant. If your system gives you pretty good MIDI timing and doesn't affect your recording then its no big deal for you and that's cool too.



I won't lie it is a pain in the ass. The way I get around it is to resample the tracks as loops in my MPC and import those to my DAW. I also don't do a whole lot on my MPC mainly just the skeleton of the beat and flesh it out in the DAW. So I don't have dozens of tracks to track out, usually just 3-4.
Are you saying the MPC 2000xl which was stand alone when i made up my drums and sounds in it, it had latency? It was not hooked up to a computer at one point and i use to take the MPC 2000xl with me to track out. I never had a latency issue while banging out my tracks.i remember hittung to late and it would be on time. I can't agree that that machine had latency as a standalone.

You must hsve the 4000 in order to resample your loops. Couldn't do that with the 2000xl.
I use to whole songs and arrangements on the 2000xl. I eas tracking out more than just drums.

I say the MPCx is going to solve a lot of issues especially for me. If i nake a melody up in Studio One 3 I want to be able to export it out as wav bring it into the MPCx, lay complex drums over it bounce each part of my drums out bring it into studio one and add the rest and finish my song. That will work for me.
Old 2nd January 2017
  #100
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Texas View Post

It has nothing to do with midi why hardware is tighter than software for midi recording. Midi is almost instantaneous and latency is unnoticeable. The reason why hardware is better at recording/capturing notes is because there's no audio loop that has to take place to a sound card/converter like in software or the loop in hardware is much shorter. The problem in software is midi not being in sync with the audio ie the delay when you play a note till the time you hear it,which throws you off playing notes. That's the reason why you get better results with latency when you lower .
Spot on!
I experienced no latency issues with the MPC 2000xl when using it as a stand alone. I had a crazy work around to bring in played melodies. I dont wanna talj about it.
1
Share
Old 2nd January 2017
  #101
mp3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Texas View Post
Bro you must be a straight up hardware dude because your knowledge of software is very limited. Read a book. I found an article from SOS that explains the exact thing I just said.
Integrating MIDI Hardware with Ableton Live | Sound On Sound
Well whatever my level of expertise, I don't have to resort to belittling people to get my point across. If its that important to you to win a forum debate then what can I say? You win. Believe what you want, makes me no difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoc View Post
Are you saying the MPC 2000xl which was stand alone when i made up my drums and sounds in it, it had latency?
Every digital signal processing device has latency because there is no such thing as an instantaneous digital signal processing system. That doesn't exist. There is always a delay between gathering the data, processing the data, and outputting the processed data. That's true for the computer in your car, the one in your cell phone, the one in your laptop , the one in your MPC, and the one in your digital synth. Its just a matter of how much delay there is at each step, and is the delay constant or variable.

You said you didn't have latency issues with your 2kxl, and I believe you, but that doesn't mean your 2kxl doesn't have latency. Its just very low latency (and almost no jitter), comparatively speaking, when compared to your average DAW/audio interface/MIDI interface.
1
Share
Old 2nd January 2017
  #102
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
Well whatever my level of expertise, I don't have to resort to belittling people to get my point across. If its that important to you to win a forum debate then what can I say? You win. Believe what you want, makes me no difference.



Every digital signal processing device has latency because there is no such thing as an instantaneous digital signal processing system. That doesn't exist. There is always a delay between gathering the data, processing the data, and outputting the processed data. That's true for the computer in your car, the one in your cell phone, the one in your laptop , the one in your MPC, and the one in your digital synth. Its just a matter of how much delay there is at each step, and is the delay constant or variable.

You said you didn't have latency issues with your 2kxl, and I believe you, but that doesn't mean your 2kxl doesn't have latency. Its just very low latency (and almost no jitter), comparatively speaking, when compared to your average DAW/audio interface/MIDI interface.
As a stand alone you're telling me, without the computer when I hit the pads there was latency? Do you have an article speaking on the MPC 2000xl as a standalone without being connected to a computer has latency?
Old 2nd January 2017
  #103
Lives for gear
 

I think the point here is that Akai is not known for its converters and other technology related to jitter and near zero latency.

Obviously if it incorporated something from say Antelope or Black Lion , RME or even latest Tascam then it perhaps would be close.

Rock solid converters in a box like the imminent MPC X would be a bonus.

Not on anyone's side here ,, just my opinion as I have never owned a 1k or others.

X Ren owner here and other drum machines.

Cheers
Old 2nd January 2017
  #104
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
I think the point here is that Akai is not known for its converters and other technology related to jitter and near zero latency.

Obviously if it incorporated something from say Antelope or Black Lion , RME or even latest Tascam then it perhaps would be close.

Rock solid converters in a box like the imminent MPC X would be a bonus.

Not on anyone's side here ,, just my opinion as I have never owned a 1k or others.

X Ren owner here and other drum machines.

Cheers
What I am trying to understand dude, there is no latency in the MPC 2000xl I. You didn't have to go in it to fix the reso buffer in it BECAUSE IT DOESN'T EXIST! Im not talking about it being connected to a computer. As a standalone there was 0% latency no one even brought that up in that machine because I would have. The tightness was rock solid.

Now if we are talking MPC 2000xl connected to the computer dealing with midi to a software like PT I would not argue one bit cause I experienced midi latency or jitters whatever you want to call it.

Well i seen some specs last night didn't see anything about converters. But I know from loooking at that sexy beast there's more specs. Dope converters would take this thing to another level! This will be the MPC of all MPCs.
Old 2nd January 2017
  #105
mp3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoc View Post
As a stand alone you're telling me, without the computer when I hit the pads there was latency?
You're asking me to repeat myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoc View Post
Do you have an article speaking on the MPC 2000xl as a standalone without being connected to a computer has latency?
I don't have anything specific to the xl. I might have some textbooks from college that discuss the subject though, but they're not exactly a quick read.
Old 2nd January 2017
  #106
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
You're asking me to repeat myself.



I don't have anything specific to the xl. I might have some textbooks from college that discuss the subject though, but they're not exactly a quick read.
Well i dont want you to repeat yourself this why I asked the tangible question. I have experince in the MPC 60II, 3000, 4000, 2000 and 2000xl and none of them hand as a standalone machine that operated without a computer latency! There is no buffer reso operation in any of the standalone MPC's to help reduce latency because there was none.

The actual act of buffer reso operation to help one cope with latency came when Akai introduced the Ren as a hybrid and being connected to the computer and that software being restricted to the computer only. The Ren and its other computer based models does have latency.

At this moment i use the Akai lpd8. Its cool and I get latency issues. Not as bad as when I first started but its there. Where as I highlight all the drums and hit quantize but that doesn't work all the time especially when I do complexed drum patterns. I don't do a normal 4/4, 1234 pattern.

I never experienced not once any latency in the MPC 2000xl.
Old 2nd January 2017
  #107
mp3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoc View Post
... a standalone machine that operated without a computer latency! There is no buffer reso operation in any of the standalone MPC's to help reduce latency because there was none. ...
This demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of what latency is. You don't need a buffer setting to have latency lol. To put it in straight forward terms, latency is just a delay between you hitting a pad and the machine making a sound. The delay on your 2kxl is just so small that its not noticeable. It is measurable though.

(Again, every single digital signal processing system ever made by human beings has a delay between its input (e.g. hitting a pad) and its output (e.g. hearing a sound). That includes your 2kxl. That's just down to the fundamental laws of physics.)

That's a part of what makes the 2kxl feel tight is just the delay is so small its not noticeable. The other part is that the delay is always the same. In other words, it takes about 2.5ms for your pad hit to trigger the sample, and it always takes 2.5ms every single time you hit a pad.

When the delay is sometimes 2.5ms sometimes 7ms and sometimes 20ms, that is called jitter. Jitter is when the delay is different every time you hit a pad. In my opinion jitter is the real problem and the real reason people don't consider DAWs to have tight timing. In my opinion people can deal with a lot of latency as long as its constant, but jitter is what really throws people off and makes them feel like the DAW didn't record what they played.

Anyway, this whole discussion is borderline off topic at this point. We can take this discussion to PM if you want.
4
Share
Old 2nd January 2017
  #108
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
This demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of what latency is. You don't need a buffer setting to have latency lol. To put it in straight forward terms, latency is just a delay between you hitting a pad and the machine making a sound. The delay on your 2kxl is just so small that its not noticeable. It is measurable though.

(Again, every single digital signal processing system ever made by human beings has a delay between its input (e.g. hitting a pad) and its output (e.g. hearing a sound). That includes your 2kxl. That's just down to the fundamental laws of physics.)

That's a part of what makes the 2kxl feel tight is just the delay is so small its not noticeable. The other part is that the delay is always the same. In other words, it takes about 2.5ms for your pad hit to trigger the sample, and it always takes 2.5ms every single time you hit a pad.

When the delay is sometimes 2.5ms sometimes 7ms and sometimes 20ms, that is called jitter. Jitter is when the delay is different every time you hit a pad. In my opinion jitter is the real problem and the real reason people don't consider DAWs to have tight timing. In my opinion people can deal with a lot of latency as long as its constant, but jitter is what really throws people off and makes them feel like the DAW didn't record what they played.

Anyway, this whole discussion is borderline off topic at this point. We can take this discussion to PM if you want.
No need to pm. I know the difference between latency and jitter.

You see its really not off topic because I want the MPCx to flip patterns like my mpc2000xl did.

The problem i have with YOUR assessment of the matter is in the mpc2000xl when I strike a pad the go and look at the hit its precisely hit on the first transient with no space between the actual hit and grid line. If there was latency 2.5ms as YOU said mathematically upon physics there would of been a space representing said 2.5ms you claimed. We call it tight.

A space when magnified would have to represent your 2.5ms which it doesn't. You can't tell me there's latency yet nothing of the sort is there. Not with banging the drums.

As i said before I hit the pad slightly off yet the kick was precisely on point and I didn't have to fix it. Physically my mistake would have manifested its self during play back. It didn't.

The midi latency definitely displays its self when hitting the AKai lpd8 and I see that it doesn't hit on the one in Reason 9. Studio One handles a little better but still have latency. Maybe its the humans who has the latency and not the machine.
Old 2nd January 2017
  #109
mp3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoc View Post
The problem i have with YOUR assessment of the matter is in the mpc2000xl when I strike a pad the go and look at the hit its precisely hit on the first transient with no space between the actual hit and grid line. If there was latency 2.5ms as YOU said mathematically upon physics there would of been a space representing said 2.5ms you claimed. We call it tight.
Explain. Where YOU looking at a hit? In the grid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoc View Post
As i said before I hit the pad slightly off yet the kick was precisely on point and I didn't have to fix it. Physically my mistake would have manifested its self during play back. It didn't.
Okay now turn off timing correct.
1
Share
Old 2nd January 2017
  #110
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by danoc View Post
Does anyone know hoe the MPC Live looks?

https://s28.postimg.org/vubgy8gn1/p_K0a3o_I.jpg


Uses the same screen sample as the MPCX image, but looks the same as the leaked real life photo.

Here are the screenshots from the quickstart guide that popped up on the FCC site:

EDIT: And some more MPC Live pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Mpc X-91eb38a39a72110230311f7880448b0c419a8088_1_551x4.jpg   Mpc X-27718_584.jpg   Mpc X-cp_768_akai-mpc-live-distance.jpg   Mpc X-cp_768_akai-mpc-live-rear.jpg  
Old 2nd January 2017
  #111
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
The delay on your 2kxl is just so small that its not noticeable. It is measurable though.

That's a part of what makes the 2kxl feel tight is just the delay is so small its not noticeable. The other
If there is no noticeable latency than everything ur saying is academic. Think that is rebuttal being made, through technically u may be correct, because nothing is noticeable for all intents and purposes we can say there is zero latency.

But even on my MPC studio or machine I never had any latency, I would think in this day and age providing ur settings r correct most would not get any latency
Old 2nd January 2017
  #112
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
Explain. Where YOU looking at a hit? In the grid?



Okay now turn off timing correct.
I would look at the hits in two places!
1. Looking at the 2000xl grid, every place where a midi bar hit was precisely on point. I could scroll through from the first hit. Ex. In the 2000xl numbers represented the lines of a grid like you see in software today. The first hit was 00.00.00 it was never 00.00.03 meaning latency.

2. Tracking out to Protools each hit was precisely on point as an audio wav and never having a small space representing YOUR 2.5 ms latency. Every hit of the transient of the drum hit precisely on point showing absolutely no latency.

I don't have the 2000xl anymore. But if I did why would I want to turn off the timing correct ?The purpose of it being on is so the timung would be correct therefore leading to NO LATENCY! Smh

We agree to disagree. I will leave it at that.

This new MPCx is what Ive been looking for, for years I wanted this now its almost here.

Last edited by danoc; 2nd January 2017 at 01:59 PM..
Old 2nd January 2017
  #113
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlippedZip View Post

https://s28.postimg.org/vubgy8gn1/p_K0a3o_I.jpg


Uses the same screen sample as the MPCX image, but looks the same as the leaked real life photo.

Here are the screenshots from the quickstart guide that popped up on the FCC site:

EDIT: And some more MPC Live pictures.
Holy s*** where in the heezy did you get that info? Dammmmm man lol thank you.

The Live looks like the touch. Where is Petty Cash at lol

Man there is going to be a lot pissed of MPC Touch people whew! SD card reader in the back don't like that I would have to reach behind this unit.

Man Akai is about to kill it once again.

Wonder the price range on this. $699?
Old 2nd January 2017
  #114
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeg View Post
If there is no noticeable latency than everything ur saying is academic. Think that is rebuttal being made, through technically u may be correct, because nothing is noticeable for all intents and purposes we can say there is zero latency.

But even on my MPC studio or machine I never had any latency, I would think in this day and age providing ur settings r correct most would not get any latency
Exactly!

Let me ask you then what are your buffer settings? So you never have to go in and fix your drums?
Mines is set to 64 anything lower the pads will be to sensitive and popping occurs.
Old 2nd January 2017
  #115
mp3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoc View Post
I would look at the hits in two places!
1. Looking at the 2000xl grid, every place where a midi bar hit was precisely on point. I could scroll through from the first hit. Ex. In the 2000xl numbers represented the lines of a grid like you see in software today. The first hit was 00.00.00 it was never 00.00.03 meaning latency.

2. Tracking out to Protools each hit was precisely on point as an audio wav and never having a small space representing YOUR 2.5 ms latency. Every hit of the transient of the drum hit precisely on point showing absolutely no latency.

I don't have the 2000xl anymore. But if I did why would I want to turn off the timing correct ?The purpose of it being on is so the timung would be correct therefore leading to NO LATENCY! Smh

We agree to disagree. I will leave it at that.

This new MPCx is what Ive been looking for, for years I wanted this now its almost here.
Lol man I guess the beauty of technology is you don't have to know how it works to use it. We can agree on that.
Old 2nd January 2017
  #116
mp3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeg View Post
If there is no noticeable latency than everything ur saying is academic. Think that is rebuttal being made, through technically u may be correct, because nothing is noticeable for all intents and purposes we can say there is zero latency.

But even on my MPC studio or machine I never had any latency, I would think in this day and age providing ur settings r correct most would not get any latency
Yeah you're right it is academic. I don't even know why I got involved in this conversation I should have known better lol.
1
Share
Old 2nd January 2017
  #117
Lives for gear
 

In my experience, recording at a low buffer setting won't affect how notes/events are played back. It only affects the latency that is experienced while actually playing/recording. At a low buffer setting, in most DAW's, on a fast machine, the latency isn't noticable, while recording. I think some people are talking about that.

Others seem to be talking about how the recorded events are played back. I'll say it again. While playing back a simple quantized drum loop (kick, snare, and high hat), the default swing settings (50%), I notice an obvious difference between Logic 9 on a fast machine and my MPC's 4000 and 2000xl. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 2nd January 2017
  #118
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
Lol man I guess the beauty of technology is you don't have to know how it works to use it. We can agree on that.
Yep lol
Old 2nd January 2017
  #119
Lives for gear
 

My boy Jay said he is upgrading from the Ren to the MPCx lol he wss going crazy lol
I thought I was bananas ova this thing lmao
Old 2nd January 2017
  #120
Quote:
Originally Posted by danoc View Post
...in the mpc2000xl when I strike a pad the go and look at the hit its precisely hit on the first transient with no space between the actual hit and grid line. If there was latency 2.5ms as YOU said mathematically upon physics there would of been a space representing said 2.5ms you claimed. We call it tight.

A space when magnified would have to represent your 2.5ms which it doesn't. You can't tell me there's latency yet nothing of the sort is there. Not with banging the drums.

As i said before I hit the pad slightly off yet the kick was precisely on point and I didn't have to fix it. Physically my mistake would have manifested its self during play back. It didn't...
What you're talking about has absolutely nothing to do with what everyone else is talking about. The issue is latency and jitter. You're talking about auto quantizing. The machine/software is immediately "fixing" your mistakes. Of COURSE your notes are perfectly on grid, because you have "time correct" enabled. This is a feature/function of your sequencer, it has nothing to do with latency or jitter.

And any modern DAW can do that, including Pro Tools. In PT it's called "Input Quantize", and it works perfectly. I don't know why you had so much trouble using DAWs for sequencing, but I do complex MIDI sequencing in an older machine (WinXP, PT HD8) every day, and have absolutely NO problems. No perceived latency (hit key or pad, and sound is instantaneous), and no MIDI jitter that I EVER noticed. Performance is always exactly as I played it, and just like an MPC, if I have "Input Quantize" enabled, every note is perfectly quantized in real time, like it should be. Even when looping a section, it's seamless and glitch-free.

This is the case no matter which input device I use, or whether I use my MOTU MIDI interface or USB direct to host. And in case you're wondering, yes, I have A LOT of experience using MPCs. Used them for 15 years before switching to DAW sequencing, and for me, there's never been a difference in timing performance.
2
Share
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump