The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mpc X
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Head

x is gonna be a beast just a pricy beast. Other then price I'm only worried about the sonic quality of these units which only hellfire seem to address. I have analog gear to run it through so it's not a deal breaker either way. But I find it strange that most people are not interested in the sonics peace.
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
I know these units are new and not many folks except the beta testers are doing videos, but all I've seen so far is the Akai demo guy triggering a techno song and using that ghastly Korg Kaoss flanger on the touch screen. Not one video using a turntable to catch a sample and cut it up? Or even playing one of stock synth sounds? Maybe using the compressor to crush a drum track? The other two videos are of dudes just triggering some beats they've got worked out already , which were less than "wow". I'm not trying to be critical, the X looks like it'll be a monster, but it seems with all the new creative features the machine has on tap, they'd show some of them. Not one workflow video has been displayed yet. Seems like you'd want to show off some of this stuff to potential buyers.
Good points also
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know these units are new and not many folks except the beta testers are doing videos, but all I've seen so far is the Akai demo guy triggering a techno song and using that ghastly Korg Kaoss flanger on the touch screen. Not one video using a turntable to catch a sample and cut it up? Or even playing one of stock synth sounds? Maybe using the compressor to crush a drum track? The other two videos are of dudes just triggering some beats they've got worked out already , which were less than "wow". I'm not trying to be critical, the X looks like it'll be a monster, but it seems with all the new creative features the machine has on tap, they'd show some of them. Not one workflow video has been displayed yet. Seems like you'd want to show off some of this stuff to potential buyers.
I think just coming out we probably have to give it more time. Im going to buy a turn table the 1200's and sample also. Those vids will come eventually.

You think they holding till NAMM?

Dam Synth sounds on the X? Thought it was just one shot samples and loops? That would be cool to have top notch pianos, few synths, pads. They only have 10 gigs of sounds. That would be good
to do start up music with.
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ville101 View Post
x is gonna be a beast just a pricy beast. Other then price I'm only worried about the sonic quality of these units which only hellfire seem to address. I have analog gear to run it through so it's not a deal breaker either way. But I find it strange that most people are not interested in the sonics peace.
When they announced it l knew it was going to cost. When l saw it l said yep that beast is going to cost big time. Went straight to the bank.

When you say sonic quality what specifically do YOU mean?
You plan on running it through a mixer?
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoc View Post
I think just coming out we probably have to give it more time. Im going to buy a turn table the 1200's and sample also. Those vids will come eventually.

Dam Synth sounds on the X? Thought it was just one shot samples and loops? That would be cool to have top notch pianos, few synths, pads. They only have 10 gigs of sounds. That would be good
I don't buy samplers for sounds but I think it's dope you can create using vsts and import that into the hardware.
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'm not sure about the synths, I thought it shipped with a couple. Maybe not, no big deal really, but I thought that 10 gigs would have a virtual instrument or two. Oh I agree, as time goes on we will see more functionality from users and even Akai. But seems like those two beta testers would be like "check it out! Watch this realtime sample stretch!" And then demonstrate. Seems like they were just triggering some loops they imported or something. It's like they are trying to sell a song rather than what the machine has to offer. Just my observation though.
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

I recall on that Hellfire guy's video he says that no, the MPC Live sounds modern, with clean A/D converters, so nothing retro there. Not sure if the X has the same converters. But that's to be expected. Most of us here are engineers and recording artist, so if mojo is what are looking for, that's what external compressors, filters, and sound manglers are for. I wouldn't want all my sounds to be crunchy and Lofi sounding, that would be a limitation in my book. I've got equipment that can get that for me, the Akai could simply capture the sounds I feed it.
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Which leads me to believe that the audio tracks won't even be in the 2.0 release whenever that comes out. Akai has said that that all the functionality is still being worked on but it's being beta tested. So far I have not seen any of the beta testers testing the audio tracks on the screen. This leads me to believe that the audio tracks are a long ways away. Not complaining but its the only reason I am interested in 2.0.
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
I recall on that Hellfire guy's video he says that no, the MPC Live sounds modern, with clean A/D converters, so nothing retro there. Not sure if the X has the same converters. But that's to be expected. Most of us here are engineers and recording artist, so if mojo is what are looking for, that's what external compressors, filters, and sound manglers are for. I wouldn't want all my sounds to be crunchy and Lofi sounding, that would be a limitation in my book. I've got equipment that can get that for me, the Akai could simply capture the sounds I feed it.
Yea it's not a perfect world that's why for me the converters are not a deal breaker. I'm sure for everyone who does not care there are ten mpc 60/3000 or sp 1200 owners who will not be buying due to the sound quality being to clean. That's why I still like my toraiz the damn thing sounds great. But anyhow I'm just curious as to how the thing sounds as compared to legacy maschines that's all but def not a deal breaker I own analog outboard gear and filters ect.
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yea it's not a perfect world that's why for me the converters are not a deal breaker. I'm sure for everyone who does not care there are ten mpc 60/3000 or sp 1200 owners who will not be buying due to the sound quality being to clean. That's why I still like my toraiz the damn thing sounds great. But anyhow I'm just curious as to how the thing sounds as compared to legacy maschines that's all but def not a deal breaker I own analog outboard gear and filters ect.
Converters should be fine man! From what I saw in the Maschine masters video, Hellfire seemed to have great things to say.
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just realized you were quoting someone saying almost the same thing I just did lol
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondat View Post
Which leads me to believe that the audio tracks won't even be in the 2.0 release whenever that comes out. Akai has said that that all the functionality is still being worked on but it's being beta tested. So far I have not seen any of the beta testers testing the audio tracks on the screen. This leads me to believe that the audio tracks are a long ways away. Not complaining but its the only reason I am interested in 2.0.
Same here, I love the idea of a stand alone machine, but I work mostly with audio tracks and up to this point, a linear approach to recording. My interest in the X is for sampling and recording audio loops to trigger from the pads. I'm following the X out of interest because I like the idea of working without DAW integration, but my spidey senses tell me that Push2 is really what I'm looking for, even though it's based around A computer platform.
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't buy samplers for sounds but I think it's dope you can create using vsts and import that into the hardware.
And vice versa. That was the top killing point for me to getting that product.

You did say something about sound quality. I wanted to know what you meant by that.
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
Converters should be fine man! From what I saw in the Maschine masters video, Hellfire seemed to have great things to say.
Yea no doubt! I already put my pre order in so getting the live either way.
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
And vice versa. That was the top killing point for me to getting that product.

You did say something about sound quality. I wanted to know what you meant by that.
Just the converters compared to other machines but again not a deal breaker it's more of a curiosity thing.
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I agree with all you said. I want it pristine and clear with 24/44.1 which they both have.
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just the converters compared to other machines but again not a deal breaker it's more of a curiosity thing.
Gothca. Fron what lve observed in vids and the reps the converters are top notch . l wouldn't expect nithing less from Akai.
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
I agree with all you said. I want it pristine and clear with 24/44.1 which they both have.
Yes the 4000 is 24 bit and it's still one of the best sounding machines ever. So I don't need it to sound like the emu emax to sound good I'm just looking for a warm full punchy sound.
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
Just realized you were quoting someone saying almost the same thing I just did lol
No all good fam.
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
It makes sense to have transparent converters, as opposed to having a locked in 'vintage' sound. It's not a big deal for me, as I have a ton of outboard.

That said, it would have been incredible if they could have offered some filters from their legacy samplers - S Series, older MPC's, etc...or even something like putting in the guts of an MFC 42.

Knowing it's not cheap to implement analog filters, I'd gladly would have paid extra whatever extra if they had something along that line.

If I were designing it, I would have implemented module slots, so you could stick in various filter modules that you could buy separately - imagine you could have an S612, S950 or MPC4000 filters at your disposal. Would be rocking!

You know, like the Avalon Bassline, where you have interchangeable filter cartridges .
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
It makes sense to have transparent converters, as opposed to having a locked in 'vintage' sound. It's not a big deal for me, as I have a ton of outboard.

That said, it would have been incredible if they could have offered some filters from their legacy samplers - S Series, older MPC's, etc...or even something like putting in the guts of an MFC 42.

Knowing it's not cheap to implement analog filters, I'd gladly would have paid extra whatever extra if they had something along that line.

If I were designing it, I would have implemented module slots, so you could stick in various filter modules that you could buy separately - imagine you could have an S612, S950 or MPC4000 filters at your disposal. Would be rocking!

You know, like the Avalon Bassline, where you have interchangeable filter cartridges .
I agree that's why I'm keeping my toraiz, what it lacks in features it makes up for in sound. Toraiz and live should make a good combo plus I still own a few older legacy mpcs including the 3000 and 60
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

These guys either got the MPCs or they just fishing for suckers to get locked on the preorder!

Akai MPC X Standalone Sampler & Sequencer | PSSL

I never ordered from them, my only experience with them was ordering a catalog by phone and it arrived 5 months later but thats beside the point.
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL GREEN View Post
These guys either got the MPCs or they just fishing for suckers to get locked on the preorder!

Akai MPC X Standalone Sampler & Sequencer | PSSL

I never ordered from them, my only experience with them was ordering a catalog by phone and it arrived 5 months later but thats beside the point.
Sounds really shady.
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

You can be sure the Live and X will sound clean and neutral. Every company is aiming at a clean sound these days, and if they failed at that, they'd get a lot of complaining.
The only reason peeps even talk about "How will it sound?" is because MPCs used to sound lo-fi in the past.
But you gotta understand, even then, Akai were trying to make all the MPCs sound as pristine as possible. It's always been the goal.
And we're finally there.
The only reason they used to sound so "warm" and crusty was because of the then converters.
You can be sure the new ones won't have "a sound".
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanu View Post
You can be sure the Live and X will sound clean and neutral. Every company is aiming at a clean sound these days, and if they failed at that, they'd get a lot of complaining.
The only reason peeps even talk about "How will it sound?" is because MPCs used to sound lo-fi in the past.
But you gotta understand, even then, Akai were trying to make all the MPCs sound as pristine as possible. It's always been the goal.
And we're finally there.
The only reason they used to sound so "warm" and crusty was because of the then converters.
yea I agree and so I'm gonna move on. I already put in my pre order so now it's just a waiting game. Peace.
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
And we're finally there.
No - all converters and their implementation has a sound.

Every DAC/ADC I've ever heard sounded different in their own way.

That said, what holds a lot of appeal for many is the tone of specific legacy instruments, or signal processors. Otherwise there wouldn't be a whole industry, both in the HW and SW realm trying to recreate those familiar colors.

I think Akai misses the boat somewhat if they didn't address that aspect of why so many have such affinity for their gear.
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
No - all converters and their implementation has a sound.

Every DAC/ADC I've ever heard sounded different in their own way.

That said, what holds a lot of appeal for many is the tone of specific legacy instruments, or signal processors. Otherwise there wouldn't be a whole industry, both in the HW and SW realm trying to recreate those familiar colors.

I think Akai misses the boat somewhat if they didn't address that aspect of why many have such affinity for their gear.
You are right, my friend
My point was rather that I don't think they'll color the sound in any notable way.

The MPC software has the 60 / 3000 / SP 1200 modes, but I don't think they make it sound like those devices that much.
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
And we're finally there.
Yep. It's always bewildering when guys go out and buy the "best" A/D converters on the market, use not one piece of outboard gear, use tons of pluggins, and then start a thread about "How to get a more analog, old school sound". It's like they've thought nothing out, or haven't researched enough products to achieve their desired end result upon building their studios. You'll see videos of music creators with tons of nice stuff, expensive gear, but their secret weapons are forgotten little gems that no one looks at anymore. LOL.
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
You are right, my friend
My point was rather that I don't think they'll color the sound in any notable way.

The MPC software has the 60 / 3000 / SP 1200 modes, but I don't think they make it sound like those devices that much.
No the emulations don't come close but the fact that a lot of us own some sort of analog outboard/filter etc will soften the blow.
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
No the emulations don't come close but the fact that a lot of us own some sort of analog outboard/filter etc will soften the blow.
Yes. I'm still undecided between Live/X, but stoked about the thought of being able to route its outs to my old Soundcraft.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search