The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mpc X
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmscss View Post
Exactly, keep the MPC focused an what it was always good at - super-fast loop-based writing and arrangement. Then dump it into a DAW and use a computer for what it's good at - polishing, mixing and mastering.

If you want an MPC workflow with VSTs then use it as a controller. If you think these new MPCs are complete nonsense compared to a computer then use a computer. It's all fairly straight forward - right?
That's what I am saying. That's all I was looking for, I never expected all this other stuff, but the extras is always good. The two functions I was looking for they have so I am good. 2000xl is out dated format, the MPCX is updated for me.

And I am dropping my stuff in either Reason 9 or Studio One 3 for mixing or production with the various Vsti/Vst. So I have no complaints, only complaint I have is SUPPORT OFFLINE USERS !!! LOL
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
It's being marketed as a hybrid standalone MPC (sampler and sequencer). Software wise... it's a production DAW... better yet, a drum machine based production DAW. If people kept that context in mind, they would be less disappointed with certain things here.

I guess that's why I am not to worried as I said to you that what I wanted it for and you told me to wait. So I wasn't looking for to much nor had super high expectations for it. I think that's what happened.

Let me ask you where in the world did the "VSTS" part come from where this MPCX or Live was suppose to have vsts?

I would love for it to just be a modern drum machine and do what I know it to do.
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
I've always looked at MPC's as multitracking samplers. Machines to capture sounds, edit and mangle them, get them looping together from pad triggering, and then building up music arrangements from there. That tells you how much I DON'T know about them. LOL But I've never looked at them as simply "beat makers". I've seen a lot of old school MPC machines in electronic people's studios, and Akai knows that, that's why they added the 8 CV outs.
You are right I use to make up whole songs on my XL arrangements also. Easy, so you do know your ish lol
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoc View Post
Let me ask you where in the world did the "VSTS" part come from where this MPCX or Live was suppose to have vsts?
An early prototype of the standalone that was based on using Windows to run the MPC Software. Since it was based on Windows, and probably going to use standard computer parts, people thought that it would allow them to install and use their virtual instruments and mixing plug-ins in standalone mode.

There was a thread for that discussion a while back where I discussed my opinion about how bad an idea it would be, and pointing out some parallels between that and Open Labs Neko/Miko products. Seems AKAI thought so too, because it got scrapped in favour for what they're brining out now.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

As long as Maschine gives me 24 tracks when it does add them I'll be happy.

8 tracks is ok though, it's not the end of the world! That's not bad because you can still get a hook and some verses for any genre. But it seems(from what I'm reading here) people are trying to track an entire band in the MPC X?
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hell it don't take me long to make a track its arranging it.
Same here, I come up with the base of a track pretty quickly for me it's getting the different movements to fit together so it's not the same 4 bars, 8 these days, over and over. I find 16 bar loops to be a little long to be catchy.

A single 4 bar loop can work though, for example Fabolous - Make Me Better..........................
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by classictunz View Post
But it seems(from what I'm reading here) people are trying to track an entire band in the MPC X?
I think it's because some of them have years under their belts with MPCs and the X doesn't offer much more than what an MPC of yore does. So they can't justify spending the cash on it.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

8 tracks is ok though, it's not the end of the world! That's not bad because you can still get a hook and some verses for any genre. But it seems(from what I'm reading here) people are trying to track an entire band in the MPC X?
Unless you're referring to the future possibility of NI releasing a standalone Maschine with 24 audio tracks, this post overlooks the fact that the MPC 2.0 software itself allows up to 128 audio tracks. The 8 audio track limit refers to the software that runs off of the hardware units themselves, not the Mac/Windows version, which the X and Live are still fully integrated with when running in controller mode.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
An early prototype of the standalone that was based on using Windows to run the MPC Software. Since it was based on Windows, and probably going to use standard computer parts, people thought that it would allow them to install and use their virtual instruments and mixing plug-ins in standalone mode.

There was a thread for that discussion a while back where I discussed my opinion about how bad an idea it would be, and pointing out some parallels between that and Open Labs Neko/Miko products. Seems AKAI thought so too, because it got scrapped in favour for what they're brining out now.
Ok thanks for clearing that up. I say its a bad idea just like people want Reason to have vsts bad idea and im glad Props whent The Rack Extension route using joints from thrid parties.

MPCs were never meant to have vsts.

Now l see other companies who went the software route and made Akai catch up now Akai iis making them catch up. Other companies have to do hard ware standalone. If l have the MPCx and NI comes with a standalone why would l switch over?

Those that claim the X can't do nothing for them then they should wait a few years for NI or whoever. Trust me if they never made a standalone drum what makes people think they will get it right on the first go?
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Let me ask you. Maschine only gives 24 tracks? Being its software l would think unlimited as long as your computer can take it. What you think?
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Vigilanti View Post
Same here, I come up with the base of a track pretty quickly for me it's getting the different movements to fit together so it's not the same 4 bars, 8 these days, over and over. I find 16 bar loops to be a little long to be catchy.

A single 4 bar loop can work though, for example Fabolous - Make Me Better..........................
True dat boss! I remember back in like 2001 l worked off 2 bar loops lol l always work in 4 bar loops. 8 bars if lm trying to do something nuts.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Unless you're referring to the future possibility of NI releasing a standalone Maschine with 24 audio tracks, this post overlooks the fact that the MPC 2.0 software itself allows up to 128 audio tracks. The 8 audio track limit refers to the software that runs off of the hardware units themselves, not the Mac/Windows version, which the X and Live are still fully integrated with when running in controller mode.
lol thats a killer right there man lol.

Let me get right. Dudes that use Mascine software you only get 24 audio tracks but are bitter at the X standalone for only having 8 audio tracks? Yet in the X software allows 128 audio tracks?
Hell though lm not into the software of the X, from the outside looking in if l were into software l would get the X quick and jump ship from NI! Easy!
Old 13th January 2017
mp3
Lives for gear

Masculine doesn't have audio tracks.

Edit: damn you autocorrect

Last edited by mp3; 13th January 2017 at 05:10 AM..
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
Masculine doesn't have audio tracks.
Hold up it doesnt have audio tracks? That's worse!
What Maschine gives 24 midi tracks?
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hold up it doesnt have audio tracks? That's worse!
What Maschine gives 24 midi tracks?
Maschine will include audio tracks in its next version (hopefully by Namm).

Unlimited midi channels as far as I can tell
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
Maschine will include audio tracks in its next version (hopefully by Namm).

Unlimited midi channels as far as I can tell
I was under the terrible assumtion that it already had audio tracks.
So your beef with Akai and its 8 audio tracks in standalone mode is not justified cause of price? X comes wit other things too.

Whats hard for me is Maschine doesnt have audio at all why am l not seeing people who own it not on NI's azz is what is puzzling me.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
True dat boss! I remember back in like 2001 l worked off 2 bar loops lol l always work in 4 bar loops. 8 bars if lm trying to do something nuts.
Yeah, a dude I use to know would work in 2 bar loops too. We made tons of beats on a Triton of his. He went and sold that ish for like $400 to a friend and I guarantee you've vibed with a few of those tracks that came off that Triton.

The guy he sold it to was working Polow Da Don and a local radio Dj. I don't know what dude is doing now, but he was working with them boys for free man. At some point you gotta be like, "yo, you gotta come up out your pockets". You know what I'm saying. Not to rob them, but like you're making all this loot you can at least throw me a hondo a day or something.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was under the terrible assumtion that it already had audio tracks.
So your beef with Akai and its 8 audio tracks in standalone mode is not justified cause of price? X comes wit other things too.

Whats hard for me is Maschine doesnt have audio at all why am l not seeing people who own it not on NI's azz is what is puzzling me.
Well see, I have no "beef" with Akai, nor any other company.

The current version of Maschine AND the current version of Mpc software both do NOT have audio tracks (by current version, I mean the version available to users today).

Maschine (the studio version is what im referring to) is direct competition to the Mpc ren/touch as these are all tied to the computer and the software running on it.

I am VERY, EXTREMELY well aware what previous Mpcs were manufactured for (drum programming, sequencing and sampling).. My "issue" (not so much an issue but more of a concern) is because these Mpcs are marketed as something more, why limit stand alone mode to 8 audio tracks (theoretically, one could purchase an mpc 2kxl and a roland vs1880 and do more that with these Mpcs, am I wrong?).

Again, these arent the Mpcs of yesteryear, nor are we in the time of yesteryear.. Regardless how anyone wishes to interpret semantics, these Mpcs are being marketed as stand alone Daws (not kinda a daw, semi a daw or a cool drum machine daw lol) which means that technically it is attempting to compete with the likes of Ableton, Studio one, logic etc (actually its attempting to put itself more inline with reason in a stand alone box).

These are just my "concerns", I am not trying to be a debbie downer or poop on the mpc by any means (I understand you have used Mpcs man but I came up as a serious Mpc user just an fyi), I still may get one (I like shiny new things so whatever).

Someone in another mpc x thread here on gearslutz claimed that users should be able to use versions of the Air instruments inside the mpc in stand alone mode (not sure the validity to this). If this is true, then I will be happy.

PS: Price is of no concern to me man, its market that concerns me, what one could do with $2200 is quite a bit nowadays in the gear buying world.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

So, does the MPCX come with the 2.0 software to install on your computer?
Old 13th January 2017
Gear Head

I remember paying something around 2K for my MPC 4K back in the days so the price isn't bad with today's bells and whistle. My question is how does it sound???. My drums used to knock coming out of the 4K.
Old 13th January 2017
Gear Head

No doubt for 2200 you could grab maschine jam, mpc touch and a used octatrack.
Old 13th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpcsauce View Post
I remember paying something around 2K for my MPC 4K back in the days so the price isn't bad with today's bells and whistle. My question is how does it sound???. My drums used to knock coming out of the 4K.
Yea the sound is the only thing important to me it's the reason I still use the 3000
Old 13th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ville101 View Post
Yea the sound is the only thing important to me it's the reason I still use the 3000
Just can't wait for this thing to drop already so people like dacock can crawl back into their holes.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Vigilanti View Post
Yeah, a dude I use to know would work in 2 bar loops too. We made tons of beats on a Triton of his. He went and sold that ish for like $400 to a friend and I guarantee you've vibed with a few of those tracks that came off that Triton.

The guy he sold it to was working Polow Da Don and a local radio Dj. I don't know what dude is doing now, but he was working with them boys for free man. At some point you gotta be like, "yo, you gotta come up out your pockets". You know what I'm saying. Not to rob them, but like you're making all this loot you can at least throw me a hondo a day or something.
Yeah that Triton is dope. I probably would of enjoyed those tracks
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
So, does the MPCX come with the 2.0 software to install on your computer?
It wouldn't be a hybrid standalone MPC if it didn't
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well see, I have no "beef" with Akai, nor any other company.

The current version of Maschine AND the current version of Mpc software both do NOT have audio tracks (by current version, I mean the version available to users today).

Maschine (the studio version is what im referring to) is direct competition to the Mpc ren/touch as these are all tied to the computer and the software running on it.

I am VERY, EXTREMELY well aware what previous Mpcs were manufactured for (drum programming, sequencing and sampling).. My "issue" (not so much an issue but more of a concern) is because these Mpcs are marketed as something more, why limit stand alone mode to 8 audio tracks (theoretically, one could purchase an mpc 2kxl and a roland vs1880 and do more that with these Mpcs, am I wrong?).

Again, these arent the Mpcs of yesteryear, nor are we in the time of yesteryear.. Regardless how anyone wishes to interpret semantics, these Mpcs are being marketed as stand alone Daws (not kinda a daw, semi a daw or a cool drum machine daw lol) which means that technically it is attempting to compete with the likes of Ableton, Studio one, logic etc (actually its attempting to put itself more inline with reason in a stand alone box).

These are just my "concerns", I am not trying to be a debbie downer or poop on the mpc by any means (I understand you have used Mpcs man but I came up as a serious Mpc user just an fyi), I still may get one (I like shiny new things so whatever).

Someone in another mpc x thread here on gearslutz claimed that users should be able to use versions of the Air instruments inside the mpc in stand alone mode (not sure the validity to this). If this is true, then I will be happy.

PS: Price is of no concern to me man, its market that concerns me, what one could do with $2200 is quite a bit nowadays in the gear buying world.
Cool on the things you said.
Where did you get the info that the MPCx is being said to be a standalone DAW?
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool on the things you said.
Where did you get the info that the MPCx is being said to be a standalone DAW?
The internet

lol
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The internet

lol
Nah dude gotta come better than that. Tisk tisk tisk
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don't know how many times it has to be thrown out there, but theoretically no one here NEEDS the MPC X or Live to get down to some work. If there are other things you could buy with the money that you feel are more worthwhile for your tastes, what could be wrong with that? Maybe you should just finally except that the MPC X isn't the purchase for you. A $2K+ purchase doesn't mean the same thing to everyone here. For some, it may be less of a gamble and easy to justify for a product like this, and for others it might be more difficult.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nah dude gotta come better than that. Tisk tisk tisk
I dont understand, what do you mean I gotta come better than that? Thats whats being said by Akai.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search