The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mpc X
Old 12th January 2017
  #661
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
I hear you 100%

I have not been one of those people nagging about stand alone however because.. well... its not 2008 anymore lol.

If the Mpc x can give me something I don't currently have then great, I'll order one. Believe me, I like toys and am trying to find a reason to want this.
I'm sticking with Maschine! Not that the X isn't great but I've already invested in 2 Maschine controller, Komplete Ultimate, Maschine exapansions, a dedicated rig with with 2 SSDs(no audio recording) just for Maschine samples loading and playback.

So Maschine 3.0 should be awesome! I'm just glad the company that pioneer this market(Akai) is still a top contender!

Had they not took so long to come to the computer market, I may have never even looked at Maschine.
Old 12th January 2017
  #662
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
Considering that for two grand you could get damn near a whole studio setup, I would want that if i was a new user. From my perspective, having a full studio already, it would be nice to be able to start in the mpc x if I so choose to and to go back and forth to the software. however, if they dont implement pdc that would be ridiculous. That means there would be no reason for me to use their software and to continue the production and writing process of a song started in the mpc X/Live, I would have to continue in Ableton/Pro Tools etc.
My position is differt from yours extremely. I don't mine spending the 2 gees because l have the dough for it and will make it back. My othet position is lve been without a MPC since 2012 so lm thristy lol The functions l need it for they have it and more that l wasnt expecting to get. Im in a happy place. Im going to be happy and have fun again and work faster. I want to bask in the MPC experience and moment.

I see your point for your experience.
Old 12th January 2017
  #663
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
My phone cut off my last post. Anyway, right, I'm needing 16 audio loops of any desired length assigned to the 16 pads to be triggered and turned off and on to create an arrangement of my choice, even a 12 minutes arrangement. After that, I want to record in a linear fashion over that arrangement with up to 128 tracks. Then I'm in. The only reason I'm looking at Akai is because it's a stand alone and I don't want to buy a new computer and interface to run Push2. Plus it's a sexy looking machine. LOL.
I ain't going to lie that MPCx looks so dope. It keeps pulling me in lol
Old 12th January 2017
  #664
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by classictunz View Post
I'm sticking with Maschine! Not that the X isn't great but I've already invested in 2 Maschine controller, Komplete Ultimate, Maschine exapansions, a dedicated rig with with 2 SSDs(no audio recording) just for Maschine samples loading and playback.

So Maschine 3.0 should be awesome! I'm just glad the company that pioneer this market(Akai) is still a top contender!

Had they not took so long to come to the computer market, I may have never even looked at Maschine.
Sounds like were in a similar position (machine studio, Jam, kontrol s61, Komplete Ultimate plus expansions blah blah here too haha). I just like toys and I guess am just looking for a reason lol.
Old 12th January 2017
  #665
Lives for gear
 

Can somebody here post links to expansions sounds for the MPC line. I don't sample other people work so I'm addicted to making my own organic stuff.

Also does the Akai iPad apps export sessions to their MPC line like other daws do?

iMachine- Maschine
Cubasis- Cubase
BeatHawk- Ableton
Old 12th January 2017
  #666
Lives for gear
 
Doc Vigilanti's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoc View Post
THAT WAS VERY PROFOUND!

The music is an art yet others who have dont know crap about the art. They just want money which kills the art.
When I started out I just wanted to make beats for a living. Now within the past few years I have figured out that you don't need super fire beats to make a great a song.

Don't get me wrong, super fire beats help, but you can take a half way decent beat and come out with a classic, where as that super fire beat might just end up being flavor of the week.

My professional situation is way different and way more complicated than anyone could ever imagine, and trust me it's not worth it. lol

But that's why I've finally come around to rapping over my beats. I can craft a sound that is unique to me. The idea of making a piece of art that can stand on it's own is dope.

That's what interests me with this MPX my tracks are real minimalist, I rarely use more than 12 instrument tracks including the drum hits being on separate tracks.

It's an MPC with a modern workflow where I can just bang out a bunch of drum sequences and load up a new drum kit instantly.
1
Share
Old 12th January 2017
  #667
Lives for gear
 

I used to set my Ren up as a channel strip on a console.
A for drums
B for bass
C for piano
D for strings
etc etc

Had a few vsts like Nexus and Sylenth and no plug ins as I ran everything into a Drawmer 1973 multi band compressor HW.

I swear the tracks I was making were as good sounding or better than dumping the individual tracks at a mates studio.

Home studios are not very good for doing the vocal hence the need to use a major studio.

Re investing into some modern workflow for 2017.

Cheers
Old 12th January 2017
  #668
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Vigilanti View Post
When I started out I just wanted to make beats for a living. Now within the past few years I have figured out that you don't need super fire beats to make a great a song.

Don't get me wrong, super fire beats help, but you can take a half way decent beat and come out with a classic, where as that super fire beat might just end up being flavor of the week.

My professional situation is way different and way more complicated than anyone could ever imagine, and trust me it's not worth it. lol

But that's why I've finally come around to rapping over my beats. I can craft a sound that is unique to me. The idea of making a piece of art that can stand on it's own is dope.

That's what interests me with this MPX my tracks are real minimalist, I rarely use more than 12 instrument tracks including the drum hits being on separate tracks.

It's an MPC with a modern workflow where I can just bang out a bunch of drum sequences and load up a new drum kit instantly.
Man that was deep what you said.
Simplicity in a music structure and understanding theory of music. Track should be simple so the singer's vocals can breathe.
If i make a track it shouldnt go pass 25 tracks. I csn take six dounds mess them into one. So instead if having six tracks l have done on 2 tracks.vocals is a different subject
Old 12th January 2017
  #669
Gear Nut
 

Guys...its an mpc not a standalone computer... we call a standalone computer a laptop or a notebook. Why you guys expecting a full daw in a standalone machine? Then just use ure daw with a laptop. Bitwig/surface combo looks super dope if thats what you want. Anyways the mpc x looks super cool but we all have our own interfaces and such and it is only providing things we already have. Even tho its sexy as hell, it seems like people will have a hard time finding a true need for it myself included. Still love to have one thi
Old 12th January 2017
  #670
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
NI are first and foremost a SW company.
No they aren't, nowadays they are first and foremost a sample library company, their software is to shift sample packs.

NI are not stepping up any game, their beta has audio tracks, that are barely audio tracks, it has an arranger that is barely an arranger, and badly needed features like PDC are completely ignored, recordable mutes again ignored, a big list of bugs from v2 release day ignored.
Right now NI are one step from being out of this market section, not upping their game and releasing standalone hardware.
Old 12th January 2017
  #671
Lives for gear
 
Fanu's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
Is it true theres no pdc implemented?
Pete replied to me on Twitter, saying it's still the same as it was in 1.9.
I.e., no PDC.
Old 12th January 2017
  #672
Lives for gear
 

looks like the X has found its missing brother the JDxa

Cheers

Last edited by nickknack; 12th January 2017 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: Missing photos
Old 12th January 2017
  #673
Gear Head
 
pugsly's Avatar
I can't seem to find any info on sampling rate supported. I'm assuming it will be only 44.1 like the 5000. If it was more they'd be capitalizing on it. Keeping it hush, hush tells me 44.1 max.
Old 12th January 2017
  #674
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarman View Post
Does anyone know if it's 6 or 8 individual outputs?

I mean, Is "Main L/R" bound to be the "mix" or can they be set to be outputs for whatever I want, just like output 3-8 can?

Thanks
If you watch the video he said there are 8 analog outs.
Old 12th January 2017
  #675
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfalcon1 View Post
Guys...its an mpc not a standalone computer... we call a standalone computer a laptop or a notebook.
Exactly, keep the MPC focused an what it was always good at - super-fast loop-based writing and arrangement. Then dump it into a DAW and use a computer for what it's good at - polishing, mixing and mastering.

If you want an MPC workflow with VSTs then use it as a controller. If you think these new MPCs are complete nonsense compared to a computer then use a computer. It's all fairly straight forward - right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsly View Post
I can't seem to find any info on sampling rate supported
I too am looking for info on bit depths and sample rates, guess we'll have to wait until NAMM.
1
Share
Old 12th January 2017
  #676
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoc View Post
If you watch the video he said there are 8 analog outs.
yes, I know.
6 individual outs plus Main L/R dedicated to "mix" is 8 outs.
This is not my question.
It's wether or not I can configure Main L/R the same way I can configure output 3-8.

I would really like to know this as I will be using the MPC X in a live setup and will need all 8 outputs to be configurable, not just the 6 of them.
Old 12th January 2017
  #677
mp3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarman View Post
yes, I know.
6 individual outs plus Main L/R dedicated to "mix" is 8 outs.
This is not my question.
It's wether or not I can configure Main L/R the same way I can configure output 3-8.

I would really like to know this as I will be using the MPC X in a live setup and will need all 8 outputs to be configurable, not just the 6 of them.
On all MPCs, you can direct any sample (or any track on newer models) to a given output, including the main L/R. The only functional differences between the main L/R and the other outputs are that 1. samples (tracks) are assigned to the main L/R by default and 2. the main L/R level is controlled by a physical control.

So if you want only one sample (or track) to be assigned to the main L, just reassign everything else to other outputs, and pan that sample (or track) to the left... Job done.
Old 12th January 2017
  #678
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
On all MPCs, you can direct any sample (or any track on newer models) to a given output, including the main L/R. The only functional differences between the main L/R and the other outputs are that 1. samples (tracks) are assigned to the main L/R by default and 2. the main L/R level is controlled by a physical control.

So if you want only one sample (or track) to be assigned to the main L, just reassign everything else to other outputs, and pan that sample (or track) to the left... Job done.
Awesome! thank you so much mp3. That was all I needed to know.

Thanks
1
Share
Old 12th January 2017
  #679
Lives for gear
 
Doc Vigilanti's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoc View Post
Man that was deep what you said.
Simplicity in a music structure and understanding theory of music. Track should be simple so the singer's vocals can breathe.
If i make a track it shouldnt go pass 25 tracks. I csn take six dounds mess them into one. So instead if having six tracks l have done on 2 tracks.vocals is a different subject
It's not even really about music theory or anything, think about how many great songs that are considered classics that are only a drum set, bass and 1 or 2 guitars. Sometimes you have a brass section, percussion, or strings, but still how many more tracks does that add?

How many instruments do you really need to make a complete beat?

You might have 15 to 20 tracks of different drum hits, or maybe you separate out the different sections of horns, but that's all mixing stuff.

Yeah after all the ad libs, doubles, vocals can be 80 tracks or more.
Old 12th January 2017
  #680
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
8 audio tracks in stand alone.

This is the mode that really counts, idk how I feel about such a limitation personally.

Yeah. Nothing worthwhile is possible with only 8 tracks. I mean, WTF??

Old 12th January 2017
  #681
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfalcon1 View Post
Guys...its an mpc not a standalone computer... we call a standalone computer a laptop or a notebook. Why you guys expecting a full daw in a standalone machine? Then just use ure daw with a laptop. Bitwig/surface combo looks super dope if thats what you want. Anyways the mpc x looks super cool but we all have our own interfaces and such and it is only providing things we already have. Even tho its sexy as hell, it seems like people will have a hard time finding a true need for it myself included. Still love to have one thi
I don't get that either. People want VSTS in this thing and I am like Huh? Like since when did a stand alone MPC have Vsts/i in it? smh This is the same complaint Reason users have about Reason not having VSTs. I say use your DAW's with Vsts/i.

And I have a need for it from the beginning.
Old 12th January 2017
  #682
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Vigilanti View Post
It's not even really about music theory or anything, think about how many great songs that are considered classics that are only a drum set, bass and 1 or 2 guitars. Sometimes you have a brass section, percussion, or strings, but still how many more tracks does that add?

How many instruments do you really need to make a complete beat?

You might have 15 to 20 tracks of different drum hits, or maybe you separate out the different sections of horns, but that's all mixing stuff.

Yeah after all the ad libs, doubles, vocals can be 80 tracks or more.
True, but when I look at a track I look at what's on stage
Stage Instruments.
1. Drums
2. Guitars, electric and bass
3. Piano
4. Synth
5. Horns
6. Percussion (that could be a variety of chimes, cabasa, casa, tamborines, etc)

For me its about music theory so I can arrange and know the foundation then add my own notch to it.
Old 12th January 2017
  #683
Lives for gear
 
Doc Vigilanti's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoc View Post
True, but when I look at a track I look at what's on stage
Stage Instruments.
1. Drums
2. Guitars, electric and bass
3. Piano
4. Synth
5. Horns
6. Percussion (that could be a variety of chimes, cabasa, casa, tamborines, etc)

For me its about music theory so I can arrange and know the foundation then add my own notch to it.
But still that's like what? 9 instruments? Everything on it's own separate track it expands out but you don't need a lot of instruments to make great music.

When it comes to keys and all that music theory plays a part, but let's be honest most of us here aren't composing symphony's with complex key changes in obscure scales.
Old 12th January 2017
  #684
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoc View Post
I don't get that either. People want VSTS in this thing and I am like Huh? Like since when did a stand alone MPC have Vsts/i in it? smh This is the same complaint Reason users have about Reason not having VSTs. I say use your DAW's with Vsts/i.

And I have a need for it from the beginning.
You might be happy with a Model T but many want WiFi and navigation in 2017
1
Share
Old 12th January 2017
  #685
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfalcon1 View Post
Guys...its an mpc not a standalone computer... we call a standalone computer a laptop or a notebook. Why you guys expecting a full daw in a standalone machine? Then just use ure daw with a laptop. Bitwig/surface combo looks super dope if thats what you want. Anyways the mpc x looks super cool but we all have our own interfaces and such and it is only providing things we already have. Even tho its sexy as hell, it seems like people will have a hard time finding a true need for it myself included. Still love to have one thi
It's being marketed as a standalone daw.
Old 12th January 2017
  #686
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Yeah. Nothing worthwhile is possible with only 8 tracks. I mean, WTF??

For ME.. and the way that I MYSELF work.. in 2017.. 8 audio tracks wouldnt be worthwhile in a stand alone daw yes.
Old 12th January 2017
  #687
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
It's being marketed as a standalone daw.
It's being marketed as a hybrid standalone MPC (sampler and sequencer). Software wise... it's a production DAW... better yet, a drum machine based production DAW. If people kept that context in mind, they would be less disappointed with certain things here.

One can assume that things will become even more fully featured as time goes on (they're adding linear audio tracks for 2.0, that's an interesting bit of progression since 1.0). But at the end of the day, it's still a production focused drum machine DAW, not a standalone major DAW designed to cover every possible base. Some production DAWs are decked out enough that you can comfortably complete stuff in them from start to finish. It will be some more time before a "drum machine" based DAW gets to that point in every aspect, if it ever does. And if it doesn't, that's of no consequence, because that's outside of the scope of using an MPC anyway, there are other products more suited to that role (Push/Ableton).

IMO a drum machine shouldn't stray too far away from simplicity and you know... being a ******* drum machine! The simplicity is what makes it uniquely different in comparison to the other DAWs we use.

After all this chit chat, it's quite obvious that the MPC isn't for you anymore at this point. And that's ok, it isn't going to be the right product for everybody at this time or going forward.

That being said, there are plenty of people that will have no problem working around the audio track limitation. No PDC is a much bigger deal than the audio track limitation in standalone thing. Before 2.0 and the X/Live, we had 0 audio tracks. After 2.0 and the X/Live, we now have 8 audio tracks. I too would like to see that increased, but if it doesn't, it wont totally diminish the value of buying the product for most people looking to by a new MPC. If you're looking for a standalone machine that will run a more fully fledge DAW, that's what laptops are for brah.
Old 12th January 2017
  #688
Lives for gear
 
steelyfan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
For ME.. and the way that I MYSELF work.. in 2017.. 8 audio tracks wouldnt be worthwhile in a stand alone daw yes.
What about bouncing down a basic 8 track mix, drums, bass, a few overdubs, melody, etc. to a new project? You'd have the basis of the song together with 7 new audio tracks for additional layers.

OR, maybe I'm just trying to talk myself into it. A simple single songwriter with a piano or acoustic guitar would be hard pressed to get it done with 8 tracks. Over the years I've been thrilled to get a great drum sound with 2 or 3 mics ( 3 seperate tracks) , I know guys that use 8 tracks for drums...
Old 12th January 2017
  #689
Lives for gear
 
steelyfan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
It's being marketed as a hybrid standalone MPC (sampler and sequencer). Software wise... it's a production DAW... better yet, a drum machine based production DAW. If people kept that context in mind, they would be less disappointed with certain things here.

One can assume that things will become even more fully featured as time goes on (they're adding linear audio tracks for 2.0, that's an interesting bit of progression since 1.0). But at the end of the day, it's still a production focused drum machine DAW, not a standalone major DAW designed to cover every possible base. Some production DAWs are decked out enough that you can comfortably complete stuff in them from start to finish. It will be some more time before a "drum machine" based DAW gets to that point in every aspect, if it ever does. And if it doesn't, that's of no consequence, because that's outside of the scope of using an MPC anyway, there are other products more suited to that role (Push/Ableton).

IMO a drum machine shouldn't stray too far away from simplicity and you know... being a ******* drum machine! The simplicity is what makes it uniquely different in comparison to the other DAWs we use.

After all this chit chat, it's quite obvious that the MPC isn't for you anymore at this point. And that's ok, it isn't going to be the right product for everybody at this time or going forward.

That being said, there are plenty of people that will have no problem working around the audio track limitation. No PDC is a much bigger deal than the audio track limitation in standalone thing. Before 2.0 and the X/Live, we had 0 audio tracks. After 2.0 and the X/Live, we now have 8 audio tracks. I too would like to see that increased, but if it doesn't, it wont totally diminish the value of buying the product for most people looking to by a new MPC. If you're looking for a standalone machine that will run a more fully fledge DAW, that's what laptops are for brah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
It's being marketed as a hybrid standalone MPC (sampler and sequencer). Software wise... it's a production DAW... better yet, a drum machine based production DAW. If people kept that context in mind, they would be less disappointed with certain things here.

One can assume that things will become even more fully featured as time goes on (they're adding linear audio tracks for 2.0, that's an interesting bit of progression since 1.0). But at the end of the day, it's still a production focused drum machine DAW, not a standalone major DAW designed to cover every possible base. Some production DAWs are decked out enough that you can comfortably complete stuff in them from start to finish. It will be some more time before a "drum machine" based DAW gets to that point in every aspect, if it ever does. And if it doesn't, that's of no consequence, because that's outside of the scope of using an MPC anyway, there are other products more suited to that role (Push/Ableton).

IMO a drum machine shouldn't stray too far away from simplicity and you know... being a ******* drum machine! The simplicity is what makes it uniquely different in comparison to the other DAWs we use.

After all this chit chat, it's quite obvious that the MPC isn't for you anymore at this point. And that's ok, it isn't going to be the right product for everybody at this time or going forward.

That being said, there are plenty of people that will have no problem working around the audio track limitation. No PDC is a much bigger deal than the audio track limitation in standalone thing. Before 2.0 and the X/Live, we had 0 audio tracks. After 2.0 and the X/Live, we now have 8 audio tracks. I too would like to see that increased, but if it doesn't, it wont totally diminish the value of buying the product for most people looking to by a new MPC. If you're looking for a standalone machine that will run a more fully fledge DAW, that's what laptops are for brah.
I've always looked at MPC's as multitracking samplers. Machines to capture sounds, edit and mangle them, get them looping together from pad triggering, and then building up music arrangements from there. That tells you how much I DON'T know about them. LOL But I've never looked at them as simply "beat makers". I've seen a lot of old school MPC machines in electronic people's studios, and Akai knows that, that's why they added the 8 CV outs.
Old 12th January 2017
  #690
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Vigilanti View Post
But still that's like what? 9 instruments? Everything on it's own separate track it expands out but you don't need a lot of instruments to make great music.

When it comes to keys and all that music theory plays a part, but let's be honest most of us here aren't composing symphony's with complex key changes in obscure scales.
We agree you don't need a lot of instruments but that's how I look at music on one stand point. For me I must know music theory, especially because the way I do my strings and dealing with different variations of strings like Staccato, marcato, slurs, stabs etc.

A dope arrangement of that music makes a big difference also, and I go deep into that. Hell it don't take me long to make a track its arranging it.
1
Share
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump