The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mpc X
Old 11th January 2017
mp3
Lives for gear

Interpolation algorithm is basically the math behind how a sampler transposes samples without changing its own sample rate. Its pretty techie, but the point is that when you transpose a sample on the 1000/2500 it degrades the sound of that sample.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
Nah the team that developed the 1000/2500 is long gone. Expect this to not sound like the 1000/2500. The 5000 didn't sound like the 1000/2500.
The sound should end up being transparent. That way you can color it how ever you want to if that's what you want to do.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah the filters are by far my biggest gripe with my 2500. I get around a lot of the bad characteristics of the machine by going in and out digitally, but it is limiting (and it still does nothing about that horrible interpolation algorithm). Like, I would love to run my 2500 through an external filter, but then I'd be dealing with that subpar AD/DA. The best I can say about the 2500 is that you can get a quality clean sound out of it by going in and out digitally, or you can make it sound like a mackie cr1604 (the original, decent sounding one) being pushed into the red. But while there is a place for that type of sound, i do feel like that era has passed.

It really is a testament to how great JJOS is, because there's no way I'd still have it otherwise.

edit: damn now I'm talking myself back into considering the MPC Live...
I never used the 2500, but seen others use it in the studio, when I had my MPC2000xl I ran that through the Yamaha O2R ohhhhhhh man the warmth and grit was amazing. I miss those two working together :-( But I learned a lot dealing with that board the AD/DA converters in that thing was awesome. But the 2000xl had functions to go 12 Bit and Be clean. A lot of dudes slept on the actual functions of that joint that's why I kept it so long from 2001 to 2012, I had the 2000 which the screen went out on me. Before that I had the Boss Dr5 you talking about quantizing issues LOL man that thing taught me how to be on time and when I got the 2000 it was easier to work.
But having certain pieces to your taste is important to craft your sound.

I say the MPCX will do me just fine, all I am worried about is it working and doing the two functions I asked for but that beast does more. So it's all good. I was shocked when they put phantom power on it, so you can connect a mic directly into it, dam!
I am going to fire up the New i7 computer and reinstall everything I hate doing that, and get to work. I got a lot of projects to do. From what I heard of both machines they sound good. If I want that grit I will add some of that free Izotope to it and I have samples I acquired over the years to put in some of my work.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Vigilanti View Post
The sound should end up being transparent. That way you can color it how ever you want to if that's what you want to do.
I agree, I am advance to where I can color and shape my own sound, I really don't want someone's sound. We need diversity anyway.

Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah the filters are by far my biggest gripe with my 2500. I get around a lot of the bad characteristics of the machine by going in and out digitally, but it is limiting (and it still does nothing about that horrible interpolation algorithm). Like, I would love to run my 2500 through an external filter, but then I'd be dealing with that subpar AD/DA. The best I can say about the 2500 is that you can get a quality clean sound out of it by going in and out digitally, or you can make it sound like a mackie cr1604 (the original, decent sounding one) being pushed into the red. But while there is a place for that type of sound, i do feel like that era has passed.

It really is a testament to how great JJOS is, because there's no way I'd still have it otherwise.

edit: damn now I'm talking myself back into considering the MPC Live...
haha.

yea - jjos is great.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarman View Post
Does anyone know if it's 6 or 8 individual outputs?

I mean, Is "Main L/R" bound to be the "mix" or can they be set to be outputs for whatever I want, just like output 3-8 can?

Thanks
looks like 8 outs, I think two are stereo L/R the guy said 8 outs. Here you can see for yourself.

[IMG]/IMG]
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoc View Post
I agree, I am advance to where I can color and shape my own sound, I really don't want someone's sound.

I'm sure all those folks that designed and engineered all that old stuff that goes for a small fortune these days are proud of their accomplishments.

Quote:
We need diversity anyway.
You won't get any argument out of me about that statement. The world is bigger than black and white.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
looks like 8 outs, I think two are stereo L/R the guy said 8 outs. Here you can see for yourself.

[IMG]/IMG]
In the video it said it has 8 outs, but they are also CV/Gate outs so you can use it to modulate Synth filters and envelops.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

MY GAWD Dammmmmmmmm I can't stop looking at this dam thing LOL I'm like Petty Cash now. That is one pretty azz machine! dam

Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ville101 View Post
music.
One of the Artist I am working with. Do good with that lil LPD8 lol

Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

I'm guessing they did not fix plugin delay compensation for 2.0.
It's still way off in 1.9: insert Slate VTM on master, and metronome is off tempo.
Insert a UAD plugin on a kick track on drums program, and the kick is off time.

I've asked the dev Pete on Twitter twice; no reply.
Asked Masada, a beta guy, and he can't say.
That sucks. I take this as "no". They're displaying cool new features proudly, but if they can't say it's fixed, for now I'll have to think it's not addressed.
Such a bummer. Not acceptable in 2017.
Old 11th January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanu View Post
I'm guessing they did not fix plugin delay compensation for 2.0.
It's still way off in 1.9: insert Slate VTM on master, and metronome is off tempo.
Insert a UAD plugin on a kick track on drums program, and the kick is off time.

I've asked the dev Pete on Twitter twice; no reply.
Asked Masada, a beta guy, and he can't say.
That sucks. I take this as "no". They're displaying cool new features proudly, but if they can't say it's fixed, for now I'll have to think it's not addressed.
Such a bummer. Not acceptable in 2017.
Definitely not. You know radio silence = no when dealing with Akai. Took Pete days to tell someone that their timestretch doesn't have flex/warp markers, but he did say "coming soon". Based on the coming soon page still on my Touch since November '15... not a good sign lol. And no answer at all means "we don't even know how to fix it" if I had to guess. Is it all Slate plugs? I only have VCC, but I don't bother using plugs besides maybe a reverb in the mpc software. These are the type of reasons why I'm refusing to give them more money right now. They're still playing catch up with stuff that was standard years ago.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatsWilsonian View Post
Definitely not. You know radio silence = no when dealing with Akai. Took Pete days to tell someone that their timestretch doesn't have flex/warp markers, but he did say "coming soon". Based on the coming soon page still on my Touch since November '15... not a good sign lol. And no answer at all means "we don't even know how to fix it" if I had to guess. Is it all Slate plugs? I only have VCC, but I don't bother using plugs besides maybe a reverb in the mpc software. These are the type of reasons why I'm refusing to give them more money right now. They're still playing catch up with stuff that was standard years ago.
Yeah man, it's communication – or the lack of it – that really rubs me the wrong way with Akai TBH. They're super loud and proud when they come out with a new product, but hell, when it comes to shortcomings and things that don't work or which'll take some time...silence. Silence towards paying customers. Really can't stand it. And this is coming from someone who's definitely a bit of an Akai fan.

In life in general, I always feel you can't be that mad at anyone who's being really honest about things he's not good at or things he didn't deliver on time when he's honest about it and knows to say sorry when it's called for. But it's the people that stay silent when they should be informing you about stuff...to me, it's a red cloth.

I remember Slate catching a lot of flak about similar stuff in the past, but he totally changed at some point and started addressing all the things, and the tone and the whole vibe changed for the better.

Probably all Slate, and all UAD, too.
Old 11th January 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:

[IMG]/IMG]
Thanks danoc.
Can anyone else confirm the 8 individual outs?
- or if it's only 6 individual outs plus main L/R (mix)..?

Last edited by Sugarman; 11th January 2017 at 10:32 PM..
Old 11th January 2017
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
They're super loud and proud when they come out with a new product, but hell, when it comes to shortcomings and things that don't work or which'll take some time...silence. Silence towards paying customers. Really can't stand it.
You're describing the vast majority of (non mom-n-pop) businesses.
Old 11th January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Yeah man, it's communication – or the lack of it – that really rubs me the wrong way with Akai TBH. They're super loud and proud when they come out with a new product, but hell, when it comes to shortcomings and things that don't work or which'll take some time...silence. Silence towards paying customers. Really can't stand it. And this is coming from someone who's definitely a bit of an Akai fan.

In life in general, I always feel you can't be that mad at anyone who's being really honest about things he's not good at or things he didn't deliver on time when he's honest about it and knows to say sorry when it's called for. But it's the people that stay silent when they should be informing you about stuff...to me, it's a red cloth.

I remember Slate catching a lot of flak about similar stuff in the past, but he totally changed at some point and started addressing all the things, and the tone and the whole vibe changed for the better.

Probably all Slate, and all UAD, too.
Truth. Agree with Slate thing too. I know he's stirred up some controversy, but seems like he's become much more transparent in the last few years. I can tell you that every time I've had an issue with "in Music" Akai, it's been a disaster. "Don't have that problem here" or "we'll pass it along to the team!". It's only when I call their office that I get confirmation that my problem is real and affects them too. But ALL of my problems have been related to their software, which is why this release of 2.0 concurrently with the new products is a huge red flag for me. Smart business? I guess. But it's really only smart if there's glaring holes in the software. There would be no issue giving it to Touch/Studio/Ren owners early if everyone was shouting "game changer".
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Is it true theres no pdc implemented?
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
Is it true theres no pdc implemented?
Not as of 1.9, only plugs that create high latency ie Slate VTM would really through the program off...
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

I would like to ask a question.

Who really needs 2.0 software if they were to get either the X or Live?

I truthfully don't. I tell you the truth l was expecting it to be just standalone.
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I truthfully don't. I tell you the truth l was expecting it to be just standalone.

Me personally I would and for 2 racks I wanna use it in all aspects that I can... You'll probably wanna use it too, start making a beat in stand alone then put it in controller mode then add you favorite O2 lol,kontakt,etc.... Another question, when it's in controller mode does the X/live act as an audio interface?
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Considering that for two grand you could get damn near a whole studio setup, I would want that if i was a new user. From my perspective, having a full studio already, it would be nice to be able to start in the mpc x if I so choose to and to go back and forth to the software. however, if they dont implement pdc that would be ridiculous. That means there would be no reason for me to use their software and to continue the production and writing process of a song started in the mpc X/Live, I would have to continue in Ableton/Pro Tools etc.
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Akai if any of your reps are reading this.. PDC is an absolute must as is implementing more than 8 audio tracks. Change this and ill throw my money at the mpc X (along with many others im sure) just for ****s and giggles!
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Akai if any of your reps are reading this.. PDC is an absolute must as is implementing more than 8 audio tracks. Change this and ill throw my money at the mpc X (along with many others im sure) just for ****s and giggles!
Only 8 audio tracks has got me looking back at Push2 again. I was looking at the MPCX as basically a standalone variation of Push2.

Does the MPCX come with Akai's 2.0 DAW software?
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
Only 8 audio tracks has got me looking back at Push2 again. I was looking at the MPCX as basically a standalone variation of Push2.

Does the MPCX come with Akai's 2.0 DAW software?
EXACTLY!

With so much emphasis on stand alone I would hope these mpcs could do what we as producers are used to doing on our computers in 2017. Let's not forget it's not 2001 anymore where things were "iffy" here and there.

I want to love it, I do. I see what they're doing taking ideas from Ableton but if they can't give the end user the same experience then what's the point?
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
EXACTLY!

With so much emphasis on stand alone I would hope these mpcs could do what we as producers are used to doing on our computers in 2017. Let's not forget it's not 2001 anymore where things were "iffy" here and there.

I want to love it, I do. I see what they're doing taking ideas from Ableton but if they can't give the end user the same experience then what's the point?
Right! For $2200, that's a brand new computer, 8 in and out interface, and a fresh copy of Push2 Suite. That's something for me to really think about. I'm not even interested in soft synth bundled packages and wouldn't even consider using a "included loops bundle"
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

I think as someone pointed out on the MPC forums that the 8 audio tracks could be used as stems in standalone mode.

Add all your midi tracks, external synth and I know that's enough for me and I work with vocals.

Cheers
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

My phone cut off my last post. Anyway, right, I'm needing 16 audio loops of any desired length assigned to the 16 pads to be triggered and turned off and on to create an arrangement of my choice, even a 12 minutes arrangement. After that, I want to record in a linear fashion over that arrangement with up to 128 tracks. Then I'm in. The only reason I'm looking at Akai is because it's a stand alone and I don't want to buy a new computer and interface to run Push2. Plus it's a sexy looking machine. LOL.
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
I think as someone pointed out on the MPC forums that the 8 audio tracks could be used as stems in standalone mode.

Add all your midi tracks, external synth and I know that's enough for me and I work with vocals.

Cheers

I hear you, although I wouldn't be able to even get started with 8 audio tracks personally. If this is more of an "idea box" then fine but Akai is marketing it as a stand alone daw.. which means I'd like to be able to do what I am currently doing in ableton at this very moment (running 86 tracks, 30 of which are audio all with tuning).

If this machine is able to accept external hard drives then I don't see it being a problem with the tech.
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smack Dammit View Post
Me personally I would and for 2 racks I wanna use it in all aspects that I can... You'll probably wanna use it too, start making a beat in stand alone then put it in controller mode then add you favorite O2 lol,kontakt,etc.... Another question, when it's in controller mode does the X/live act as an audio interface?
lol see you said O2 you know ln a sucka for that thing lol haaaa .
To be truthful l dudnt think 20. Sw was going to be applied hence standalone. I really like rickung S1 and Reasin 9 l dont see myself in 2.0 lma see whats it all about though. My plan is to rock drums crazy and melodies on it and do some other stuff on it.
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Vigilanti View Post
I'm sure all those folks that designed and engineered all that old stuff that goes for a small fortune these days are proud of their accomplishments.

You won't get any argument out of me about that statement. The world is bigger than black and white.
THAT WAS VERY PROFOUND!

The music is an art yet others who have dont know crap about the art. They just want money which kills the art.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search