The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mpc X
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smack Dammit View Post
Not sure if these have been posted yet
https://youtu.be/LIuCk9abpGI

https://youtu.be/JnbEznpLiLs
When the Ren came out they were all saying it's the future. I don't trust big name producers, these cats endorse every new MPC that comes. Then go back to using their old stuff. Araabmuzik was promoting the MPC Studio but he uses the 2500.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
When the Ren came out they were all saying it's the future. I don't trust big name producers, these cats endorse every new MPC that comes. Then go back to using their old stuff. Araabmuzik was promoting the MPC Studio but he uses the 2500.
Yup 100% marketing.

Theres maybe 5% of the "brand producers" that are in these videos that actually switch. Zay isn't switching, Metro is still on FL etc.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ville101 View Post
Want what ? I said you aight fam fam. Practice makes perfect right! Peace.
Back to the MPCx talks
Old 11th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Yea I'm also tired of these ridiculous producer videos also. It's almost like they are insulting our intelligence. That mpc touch metro booming video especially.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think Araabmuzik feels best on the standalone.
Old 11th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoc View Post
I think Araabmuzik feels best on the standalone.
and he does a lot of live performance stuff also so I can understand his wanting to stick with a hardware unit
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanu View Post
@Ville101 @LuXx @danoc Any chance you guys can take your beef elsewhere? This thread is about the new MPCs, and I bet no-one is interested in your quarrel here. Make it private.
We just talking smack man thete is no beef.

Tell me something fantastic about the MPCx. Wait for it......
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
True indeed but in context of the vid I posted it's so we could see it in actual use....
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
and he does a lot of live performance stuff also so I can understand his wanting to stick with a hardware unit
I would too. Thats why i didnt head down the road of the MPC Ren or Studio. My 2000XL i got tired of tracking out so now l can be standalone and not have to.

I would love to see Araabmuzik on the MPCx not live l think he will tear that to pieces lol
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
True indeed but in context of the vid I posted it's so we could see it in actual use....
Yeap. Thats why i posted it. Brian had two other MPCs next to him. Plus hear the dope music.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
Yup 100% marketing.

Theres maybe 5% of the "brand producers" that are in these videos that actually switch. Zay isn't switching, Metro is still on FL etc.
You know Zay is a avid user of the Ren right?

I do remember how they tried to have Araab hella pump the Ren & Studio tho..
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I faintly recall Araab selling his Ren on eBay...I think there was a thread/mention about it on MPC Forum back then unless I'm wrong.
That wasn't so smooth.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Yup which is why I doubt he's going to switch to anything else (even if its within the same family), just a hunch.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yo you never know but either way the next few years should be a win win for gear heads. I think for me I'll just sit back and watch to see how other company's respond to the mpc x and live. Should be exciting.
NI will be the one to watch. If they have a direct response to the MPC X/Live up their sleeves, that will be their first foray into the hardware drum machine market.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
Fact is, Ableton Push (and the Ableton ecosystem) holds the market share at the moment. I don't see that changing honestly. Lets hope Akai makes this a good launch
Lol, you probably missed one of my earlier posts... time will tell, but nothing is guaranteed.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

8 audio tracks.... As much as I've been wanting to go standalone for years and leave computers behind, I just don't think that will work for me, if I'm already having to think about work arounds I probably need a different piece. For the price of the MPCX I could get a new computer and an 8 input audio interface and pick up Push2 with Abeleton suite. I'm needing to loop audio tracks and have some type of linear workflow available, cutting and looping samples is just a plus. Speaking of Akai, I had their DPS24 24 track stand alone recorder with moving faders and the works for years, badass machine, but it finally died on me. Machine sounded amazing! Probably the best stand alone multi track recorder ever made to be honest...I was thinking of the MPCX as that, but with a sampler and looping pads. . 8 audio tracks....
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

NI are first and foremost a SW company.

Although they make good HW controllers I think they have tried the integration path with Maschine and Traktor to not so good success.

For them to steal Akais Thunder they are gonna have to bring it.

They also make a half decent interface but will they invest the money and time into a standalone?

They also no doubt have a roadmap for the software.

Cheers
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
8 audio tracks.... As much as I've been wanting to go standalone for years and leave computers behind, I just don't think that will work for me, if I'm already having to think about work arounds I probably need a different piece. For the price of the MPCX I could get a new computer and an 8 input audio interface and pick up Push2 with Abeleton suite. I'm needing to loop audio tracks and have some type of linear workflow available, cutting and looping samples is just a plus. Speaking of Akai, I had their DPS24 24 track stand alone recorder with moving faders and the works for years, badass machine, but it finally died on me. Machine sounded amazing! Probably the best stand alone multi track recorder ever made to be honest...I was thinking of the MPCX as that, but with a sampler and looping pads. . 8 audio tracks....
Yeah bro Ableton sounds perfect for that, truly one bad*** daw!
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is it 8 audio tracks in general or just 8 audio tracks in the hardware?
8 audio tracks for standalone and 128 in the software.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Looks killer. Hopefully it has a great SOUND. If it doesn't... it's pointless to me. I'm hoping Numark/Akai made sound a PRIORITY. The sound of the MPC 1000/2500 is terrible to me. I am really hoping this sounds good.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshelevator View Post
Looks killer. Hopefully it has a great SOUND. If it doesn't... it's pointless to me. I'm hoping Numark/Akai made sound a PRIORITY. The sound of the MPC 1000/2500 is terrible to me. I am really hoping this sounds good.
Ren/Touch don't have "a sound", which applies to any modern device. So I'm sure these won't have that either.

Good to keep in mind old MPCs were designed to sound pristine as well. It was only due to the then contemporary technical limitations that they sounded so lofi, "warm" and "good".

If they put out a device that colored the sound, it'd receive a lot of criticism for that.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:

expect this to sound the same as the 1000/2500

they are not going to use a/d converters form the 3k or the 60; realistically
Old 11th January 2017
mp3
Lives for gear

Nah the team that developed the 1000/2500 is long gone. Expect this to not sound like the 1000/2500. The 5000 didn't sound like the 1000/2500.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanu View Post
Ren/Touch don't have "a sound", which applies to any modern device. So I'm sure these won't have that either.

Good to keep in mind old MPCs were designed to sound pristine as well. It was only due to the then contemporary technical limitations that they sounded so lofi, "warm" and "good".

If they put out a device that colored the sound, it'd receive a lot of criticism for that.
I agree, it doesn't need to have a sound at all. A nice pleasant, balanced "sound" is what i am hoping for. "Clean" for sure but everything ends up having a bit of a "sound", and if Akai could lean a bit towards "warmer" rather than "colder".. that would be great. I wouldn't expect people to want the sound of an old MPC. But getting a pleasant "clean" sound is complicated as so much is involved - DSP, converters. filters... we will have to wait and see.

I have never heard the Ren but I guess it had a different sound than the 1000/2500. I didnt love the sound of the 4000 either, although I liked it much more than the 1000/2500. They sounded cold/brittle/plastic to me. The filters sound really bad compared to many other digital filters ive heard.

I am hoping that Akai delivers. Would be great.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
Nah the team that developed the 1000/2500 is long gone. Expect this to not sound like the 1000/2500. The 5000 didn't sound like the 1000/2500.
Yes sir! Like the rep said in the vid some from the past to now and the future. But thats not my complaint if l want it to have grit sound l got the goods to make that happen. My main concern is it working period.
Old 11th January 2017
mp3
Lives for gear

Modern SSL gear, as an example, has a reputation for being clean. But it certainly has a 'sound'. And IMO its a quality one. Everything has a sound. The Ren has a sound because (among other reasons) a 100% neutral digital to analog converter doesn't exist and a 100% neutral interpolation algorithm doesn't exist. Granted you could use your own soundcard with the Ren, and thus change the sound to some degree in some way...

Anyway I would much rather they go for quality clean as opposed to fake or replicated dirt. Or quality clean with fake/replicated dirt that I can disable
Old 11th January 2017
Gear Addict

Does anyone know if it's 6 or 8 individual outputs?

I mean, Is "Main L/R" bound to be the "mix" or can they be set to be outputs for whatever I want, just like output 3-8 can?

Thanks
Old 11th January 2017
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
The filters sound really bad compared to many other digital filters ive heard.
Yeah the filters are by far my biggest gripe with my 2500. I get around a lot of the bad characteristics of the machine by going in and out digitally, but it is limiting (and it still does nothing about that horrible interpolation algorithm). Like, I would love to run my 2500 through an external filter, but then I'd be dealing with that subpar AD/DA. The best I can say about the 2500 is that you can get a quality clean sound out of it by going in and out digitally, or you can make it sound like a mackie cr1604 (the original, decent sounding one) being pushed into the red. But while there is a place for that type of sound, i do feel like that era has passed.

It really is a testament to how great JJOS is, because there's no way I'd still have it otherwise.

edit: damn now I'm talking myself back into considering the MPC Live...
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Modern SSL gear, as an example, has a reputation for being clean. But it certainly has a 'sound'. And IMO its a quality one. Everything has a sound. The Ren has a sound because (among other reasons) a 100% neutral digital to analog converter doesn't exist and a 100% neutral interpolation algorithm doesn't exist. Granted you could use your own soundcard with the Ren, and thus change the sound to some degree in some way...

Anyway I would much rather they go for quality clean as opposed to fake or replicated dirt. Or quality clean with fake/replicated dirt that I can disable
True that, the circuitry of an SSL board is beautiful and each model is pristine and sound different and function different too, the 4000 SSL sounds different from the 9000k/j.

Here's a sample I promised you guys last night of me and one of the artist I am working with. And I did the drums with the LPD8, and I can't wait to get the MPCX its going to get crazy!

Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah the filters are by far my biggest gripe with my 2500. I get around a lot of the bad characteristics of the machine by going in and out digitally, but it is limiting (and it still does nothing about that horrible interpolation algorithm). Like, I would love to run my 2500 through an external filter, but then I'd be dealing with that subpar AD/DA. The best I can say about the 2500 is that you can get a quality clean sound out of it by going in and out digitally, or you can make it sound like a mackie cr1604 (the original, decent sounding one) being pushed into the red. But while there is a place for that type of sound, i do feel like that era has passed.

It really is a testament to how great JJOS is, because there's no way I'd still have it otherwise.

edit: damn now I'm talking myself back into considering the MPC Live...
What's the "interpretation algorithm"?

I agree with your post. I know my MPC-1000 like the back of my hand. I've been using it since 2003. My workflow on JJOS 1 is amazing. But...I'm not a big fan of the ADDA (which is why I just bought the ASR-10).

The MPC Live could possibly replace my 1000. Only time will tell...
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search