The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mpc X
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoc View Post
I am well aware of the buffer latency whether 64, 128, 256, and 1024 with absolute facts that can't beat the MPCs handle of its stand alone hardware. Its tigher than a PC im sorry its just is . the MPC handles complex drum patterns more. I can just make it and be done. PC you gotta have the quantize on then cut if etc Im sick of that. You need to understand that if I say i didn't have a problem with the MPC on thus issue but I do with the PC then yoy should let that go. What's important to me is not to you. When I produce my mind state needs to be at so I can do great music not worry about some grid. If that piece of equipment helps me stay focus you can't even put a price tag on that dude.

When i didn't use the computer and used the MPC I zoned out and rocked!

Eye candy of equipment gives mental stimulation and inspires an individual. You're looking at it from a physical point im looking at it from a mental point to connect spiritually and merge yo a physical.
These companies have studied and asked users what they wanted and most want eye candy.
Would you want a busted looking chick? I and others want something to look good and functions just as better.

Lastly with the MPC you don't have to deal with any latency issues and you don't have to switch the buffer size period.

MPC has the tightest time lock period.

Lol! You don't need to tell ME anything about an mpc sir, I've owned quite a few. Also the days of the mpc being "tighter" than a daw in regards to midi sequencing are long gone. Believe what you shall, good luck to ya
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

@trevon

Nah bruh its the Dave Smith a R Linn called Tempest Analog Drum Machine . i seen it for $1,599. No way would I buy into that.

But if you got the XL keep it going! I love that machine.
Attached Thumbnails
Mpc X-tempest_front_panel_10-6-11624x374.jpg  
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
Lol! You don't need to tell ME anything about an mpc sir, I've owned quite a few. Also the days of the mpc being "tighter" than a daw in regards to midi sequencing are long gone. Believe what you shall, good luck to ya
But you asked me lol what DAW squencer midi is tighter than the MPC's?

Even the Touch squencer midi grid isn't tighter than the of stand alone versions. You can go on youtube and watch people fixing their midi tracks!
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
But you asked me lol what DAW squencer midi is tighter than the MPC's?

Even the Touch squencer midi grid isn't tighter than the of stand alone versions. You can go on youtube and watch people fixing their midi tracks!
It sounds like you have finger drum timing mistaken for midi jitter..
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
It sounds like you have finger drum timing mistaken for midi jitter..
lol dude I been rocking the MPC 60II when it came out and I had no finger drum timing issues. If that were the case then I eould have issues with the MPC finger timing. That's not it at all.

Anf you still haven't told me which DAW squencer is better than the MPC!
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

I'll just wait until the thing comes out before I judge but as of now I don't really see it bringing nothing nu to my workflow that Push2 and Ableton already gives me!!!!
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
lol dude I been rocking the MPC 60II when it came out and I had no finger drum timing issues. If that were the case then I eould have issues with the MPC finger timing. That's not it at all.

Anf you still haven't told me which DAW squencer is better than the MPC!
What I am telling you is there was a relatively short stint of time where software sequencers had bad midi timing, that is a non issue anymore.. there is no difference in the midi timing of say Cubase or ableton as an mpc 2000xl for example.

Which sequencer is better than an mpc sounds like a question a newbie would be asking someone but in the same sentence you state you have been working on mpcs since the 60 mk2? Better is again subjective, if you're asking which daw has better timing than an mpc I mean that's a non issue there is no difference lol. I'm not sure what producers you enjoy listening to but I'm sure I've seen them work in person, worked with them or know someone that has and it's been ages since I've heard anyone make a claim that a daw has bad midi timing lol. To each his own, good luck.
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smack Dammit View Post
I'll just wait until the thing comes out before I judge but as of now I don't really see it bringing nothing nu to my workflow that Push2 and Ableton already gives me!!!!
THIS!!!
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smack Dammit View Post
Me too I will wait. But i don't have a dedicated machine and I wanted a new stand alone where I don't have to record into Reason or S1.

So you have Push and Live i want the MPC and Reason 9/S1-3!
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
What I am telling you is there was a relatively short stint of time where software sequencers had bad midi timing, that is a non issue anymore.. there is no difference in the midi timing of say Cubase or ableton as an mpc 2000xl for example.

Which sequencer is better than an mpc sounds like a question a newbie would be asking someone but in the same sentence you state you have been working on mpcs since the 60 mk2? Better is again subjective, if you're asking which daw has better timing than an mpc I mean that's a non issue there is no difference lol. I'm not sure what producers you enjoy listening to but I'm sure I've seen them work in person, worked with them or know someone that has and it's been ages since I've heard anyone make a claim that a daw has bad midi timing lol. To each his own, good luck.
Well you haven't heard them complain doesn't mean the timing is dead on in DAWs. JayJosh on youtube making a track on the touch I think he was in Logic could be wrong he had to go back and pull his midi drum notes to the line of of the grid and he is no slouch. Dam sure the midi sucks in Protools from day one and I had PT and the mudi still sucks and that supposed ti be the standard.

Im def not a newbie. You claimed you haven't heard anyone complaining about the midi? I have to ask where have you been? Dudes all over the net want a stand alone MPC most for that same reasin and a lot of them are here! Akai has herad this cry if they nail it this will be ground breaking watch what I tell you.

No lie not to long ago I asked Petty Cash who comes here about the MPC Black and will the sequencer be as tight as the MPC xl he tokd me to make a long story short WAIT FOR THE MPC LIVE!
He is the one that told me about it i didnt know. So just because you dont hear complaints doesnt mean people aren't complaining.
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well you haven't heard them complain doesn't mean the timing is dead on in DAWs. JayJosh on youtube making a track on the touch I think he was in Logic could be wrong he had to go back and pull his midi drum notes to the line of of the grid and he is no slouch. Dam sure the midi sucks in Protools from day one and I had PT and the mudi still sucks and that supposed ti be the standard.

Im def not a newbie. You claimed you haven't heard anyone complaining about the midi? I have to ask where have you been? Dudes all over the net want a stand alone MPC most for that same reasin and a lot of them are here! Akai has herad this cry if they nail it this will be ground breaking watch what I tell you.

No lie not to long ago I asked Petty Cash who comes here about the MPC Black and will the sequencer be as tight as the MPC xl he tokd me to make a long story short WAIT FOR THE MPC LIVE!
He is the one that told me about it i didnt know. So just because you dont hear complaints doesnt mean people aren't complaining.
The issue USED TO BE midi jitter and the round trip from input to output in regards to daws having midi issues (that has long been gone regardless on how many times you want to say that it's still an issue). See what you're talking about (in regards to moving notes back on a grid) is simply sloppy finger drumming, which is something entirely different.

People complain about wanting a stand alone mpc (until one is available - mark my words). Historically let me tell you how and why people complain about various mpcs... because people always want a reason to complain. I've always found this quite interesting (this is fact), when the 3000 was discontinued and the 2k/2kxl was released, people said "it doesn't sound as good, it's a toy" (despite the 2k being far superior in functionality to the 3k).. fast forward to when the 4K was released and it was "too clean", the 5k "wasn't a step up from the 4K", the Ren "wasn't stand alone", the touch "wasn't the ren" lol.

It amazes me watching this continue to happen and the best part.... it's never going to stop. Good luck to you.
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Exactly. I don't understand how or why anyone would want to pay upwards of $2k possibly for something they can do right now lol.

Mpcs were amazing when they first came to market but now a standalone mpc makes zero sense imo.
MPC's are still amazing dude what are you talking about? So amazing others copied its style.

Should you understand why someone would drop $2k on a stand alone MPC? Not really as long as they jnow why. I wouldn't try to figure that out if I were you. Just saying. I will make my money for it believe that.
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yea i'd much rather have this than my Apollo 8 quad/macbook pro/Ableton and Push 2.. Where do I sign up? *Extreme Sarcasm*

I can run plugins on it? Thats amazing.. *More sarcasm*

lol
Yo but who on this forum told you to give up your Apollo8 and Push etc? If I had what you had i would still get it.

Hold up. So you think if it ran plugins on it, it that would be funny? I say that would be amazing no other stand alone MPC has done that.so that would be amazin

Last edited by danoc; 30th December 2016 at 06:09 PM..
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Starring at my daw on a 65" 4k wall mounted screen or a 15" retina display is far more pleasurable than an 11" (safe assumption) 2007 level hd quality display imo (again a safe assumption).

these are all just my opinion.. What the hell do I know lol

I don't understand why you have a 65 inch tv in all the frog legs in America and for 4k. What can it do that a 24 inch scree. Can't? More sarcasm lol
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

I would rather rock the Ren or any MPC and get in the zone than looking at a large screen.

I used to have a 55 and it was all about lining up waveforms and **** .

Having owned the Maschine studio it lacked something that the MPC had in spades.

Whatever is important to your workflow but this an MPC thread.

Use the tools at your disposal until something else tickles your fancy but the MPC is hands down the best controller I have used and if the V2 software and integration is one to one then kudos to Akai.

I think major announcement is imminent and us Akai users will not be disappointed.

Cheers
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

You do know ppqs matter on the timing of midi.
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
I would rather rock the Ren or any MPC and get in the zone than looking at a large screen.

I used to have a 55 and it was all about lining up waveforms and **** .

Having owned the Maschine studio it lacked something that the MPC had in spades.

Whatever is important to your workflow but this an MPC thread.

Use the tools at your disposal until something else tickles your fancy but the MPC is hands down the best controller I have used and if the V2 software and integration is one to one then kudos to Akai.

I think major announcement is imminent and us Akai users will not be disappointed.

Cheers
I switch from the ren to the maschine studio and I prefer the studio ,hands down , I moved mainly because of the software but the controller is a dream , the screens are great, I don't use a monitor much anymore.
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon View Post
You do know ppqs matter on the timing of midi.
i know right? people acting like RECORDING of live midi notes does not happen anymore, as if everything is just painted on piano roll. that's why the shills talk all types of crap about no midi timing issues in daws. yeah, maybe on playback

mpc or not, older standalone machines recorded live playing exactly how you played it, with no latency i might add when pressing the pads. what else, they were all metal, with dedicated buttons for everything. they were essentially a rugged musical instrument

they took away the basis of these machines which is the rock solid recording with no latency, which is like the basis of recording live music, and replaced it with features aimed at painting notes and/or quantizing everything because most music today is made that way
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
The issue USED TO BE midi jitter and the round trip from input to output in regards to daws having midi issues (that has long been gone regardless on how many times you want to say that it's still an issue). See what you're talking about (in regards to moving notes back on a grid) is simply sloppy finger drumming, which is something entirely different.

People complain about wanting a stand alone mpc (until one is available - mark my words). Historically let me tell you how and why people complain about various mpcs... because people always want a reason to complain. I've always found this quite interesting (this is fact), when the 3000 was discontinued and the 2k/2kxl was released, people said "it doesn't sound as good, it's a toy" (despite the 2k being far superior in functionality to the 3k).. fast forward to when the 4K was released and it was "too clean", the 5k "wasn't a step up from the 4K", the Ren "wasn't stand alone", the touch "wasn't the ren" lol.

It amazes me watching this continue to happen and the best part.... it's never going to stop. Good luck to you.
Hey man, I stuck with my MPC2000xl for years, after I had the 2000 there were serious screen issues with the 2000. Now I want the MPCX which has touch screen, and a bigger screen than the MPCXL and more capabilities also. Plus again I don't want to record into an interface I want to stay inside the box. I am sure I will be able to connect usb into my computer and will be able to shuttle my drum patterns in 24bit wav back and forth from my MPCX to my computer and visa versa. Again I want the ability to do drum away from the computer. Again Protools Midi is terrible, I wouldn't produce on that crap if you paid me! You said people complain about the different versions but you still haven't provided any proof of which DAW can top the tightness of the MPC. And guess what YOU'RE the only one saying that. You can think what you want.

I am not sitting drawing in midi notes, I actually bang my midi notes out on the pads, and I have complex drum programming which Midi can't capture the way I played without me going back in and fixing it. That takes time, I didn't have that freakin problem with the MPCXL or any MPC! That's tight, if you are mousing in your midi notes of course you won't have an issue, but for those actually playing the pads its an issue, some deal with it and don't bitch about it. You still don't get it, I just told you JayJosh had that problem on his midi pattern he didn't bitch about it he went in and fixed it. I can't stand that anymore, do you get it? Again, Petty Cash who can witness told me if I get the MPC Black which is not stand alone and had it's on midi grid I wouldn't get the same as the MPCXL he told me I should wait. Ask him he will tell you. He knew exactly what I was talking about. That's the need for a stand alone.

You must understand that Akai do make good products but they also want to manufacture and make MONEY!

If they do this right it will a smash hit! Watch how many Rens, and Touches go on Ebay with the quickness, people are going to buy into this so much they might can't keep up with the demand! If it cost $2,000 or not, if those specs are up to par I am getting it! It will solve MY problem, if you don't need it, that's you dude, I need some thing like that.

I am getting one, It's for me and that's what I want and it will improve my quickness if anything I said you didn't grasp that is one thing that is important to me! With me it's not about luck it's about skills, I don't believe in luck, either you got it or you don't.
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewing View Post
i know right? people acting like RECORDING of live midi notes does not happen anymore, as if everything is just painted on piano roll. that's why the shills talk all types of crap about no midi timing issues in daws. yeah, maybe on playback

mpc or not, older standalone machines recorded live playing exactly how you played it, with no latency i might add when pressing the pads. what else, they were all metal, with dedicated buttons for everything. they were essentially a rugged musical instrument

they took away the basis of these machines which is the rock solid recording with no latency, which is like the basis of recording live music, and replaced it with features aimed at painting notes and/or quantizing everything because most music today is made that way
That is the most profound thing you said! Luxx need to see this, dude talking about buffers and latency, he don't get it, with the MPCs you didn't deal that crap. Plus we want where we can transfer our patterns into the PC/Host of our choice without having to record into an interface. That's what I want, he doesn't get it. He keeps talking about no one is complaining lol But that's why people wanting a dedicated stand alone. Akai did the computer thing to stay in the game and make some MONEY because they were in competition with other companies and wanted to be in the game, The Ren, Touch etc is for those that want to be in the computer, now we can get that True Hybrid stand alone where I can rock without the computer but transfer my patterns to my favorite host, I always wanted to do that, and now here is the chance. Hell yeah I would buy into this especially if it's rock solid!
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldred411 View Post
I switch from the ren to the maschine studio and I prefer the studio ,hands down , I moved mainly because of the software but the controller is a dream , the screens are great, I don't use a monitor much anymore.
You didn't like the Ren over the Maschine? Which handled the midi better?
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
You didn't like the Ren over the Maschine? Which handled the midi better?
It wasn't I didn't like the ren , it was more the software at the time , crashes and not saving my plugin data , so every time I loaded a project I had to reassign plugins , and when your time is limited you don't need that .
I read maschine was more stable so I switched and tbh it was more stable , but it is a little different, like the swing on the Mpc was better , maschine handles it differently , and tbh I don't use it , I just move stuff manually , the pads feel better on the Mpc ,more rigid , but punching in a beat I don't think there's much difference . But then the I don't know how the ren compares to other Mpcs ,I've only used the 1000 briefly,
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldred411 View Post
It wasn't I didn't like the ren , it was more the software at the time , crashes and not saving my plugin data , so every time I loaded a project I had to reassign plugins , and when your time is limited you don't need that .
I read maschine was more stable so I switched and tbh it was more stable , but it is a little different, like the swing on the Mpc was better , maschine handles it differently , and tbh I don't use it , I just move stuff manually , the pads feel better on the Mpc ,more rigid , but punching in a beat I don't think there's much difference . But then the I don't know how the ren compares to other Mpcs ,I've only used the 1000 briefly,
Hey, my boy was having glitching problems with the Ren, I think he said it's stable now. It was Akai's first time to go into the realm of PC than being stand alone. So I knew it would glitch up. But I think they got it now. But that stand alone and being able to transfer our sounds or loops from the MPCX to the PC to our host and still having that great no latency to deal with is top notch.

I agree with you
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
That is the most profound thing you said! Luxx need to see this, dude talking about buffers and latency, he don't get it, with the MPCs you didn't deal that crap. Plus we want where we can transfer our patterns into the PC/Host of our choice without having to record into an interface. That's what I want, he doesn't get it. He keeps talking about no one is complaining lol But that's why people wanting a dedicated stand alone. Akai did the computer thing to stay in the game and make some MONEY because they were in competition with other companies and wanted to be in the game, The Ren, Touch etc is for those that want to be in the computer, now we can get that True Hybrid stand alone where I can rock without the computer but transfer my patterns to my favorite host, I always wanted to do that, and now here is the chance. Hell yeah I would buy into this especially if it's rock solid!
there is nothing that I dont get lol, youre the one that doesnt seem to graps what it is I am telling you.

I am very well aware of ppqn values of yesteryear (again, nobody thinks about ppqn values anymore lol). I am also very well aware of the 96 ppqn values that mpcs have (with the exception of the 4k which had 960).

Why do you keep asking for me to show you some kind of "proof" in regards to which daws are as "tight" as an mpc?

Its common knowlege that its a non issue anymore, these posts make me feel like I went back in time 15 years.

You use Reason correct? I believe I read somewhere that Reason's ppqn value is something like 15,000 and exports at 960 ppqn.

If you want to use an mpc that is fine, I am not here to argue that (Im not here to argue anything really as I am not wrong about anything I have posted lol).

Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey, my boy was having glitching problems with the Ren, I think he said it's stable now. It was Akai's first time to go into the realm of PC than being stand alone. So I knew it would glitch up. But I think they got it now. But that stand alone and being able to transfer our sounds or loops from the MPCX to the PC to our host and still having that great no latency to deal with is top notch.

I agree with you
Yeah I've read the software is more stable now , I'm well settled in maschine now tho , and I prefer arranging in that over a daw , because I can pretty much do it all from the controller, I've got a kontrol and komplete and it's a great little ecosystem ,and it's gonna get better , so I'm pretty much gonna stick with maschine now , but the standalone definitely interest me and I think depending on how its executed I might grab one and use it with maschine.
Old 30th December 2016
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
What I am telling you is there was a relatively short stint of time where software sequencers had bad midi timing, that is a non issue anymore..
In my experience, that statement is false. MIDI over USB is still problematic and it always will be, simply because USB is not designed, intended, or optimized for timed events.

Some manufacturers have managed to work around the inherent USB limitations and enable relatively good MIDI timing (MOTU series for MIDI output and Roland UM series for MIDI input, for example), however there is maybe only one solution (the USAMO) that will approach the rock solid timing of the 3000, and that's not based on USB (surprise), and furthermore, as of right now that is limited to MIDI output only.

Quote:
Its common knowlege that its a non issue anymore
A forum-wide search on the phrase 'MIDI jitter' would demonstrate that this notion is also false. There is no such common consensus. There are people who are aware of and concerned about the present state of USB MIDI jitter issues, people who are aware of it and aren't concerned about it, and people who aren't aware of it. However, there is no group who has investigated and found no issues and subsequently formed a consensus.

Last edited by mp3; 30th December 2016 at 07:46 PM..
Old 30th December 2016
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
for me its those converters the mpc is known for. it had a certain sound that made the beats bang. plus no program i found had a groove like the mpc did. it just felt different on that grid then it does with FL Studio. now i wont buy any of this new numark mpc versions maybe just a controller to use with their software as i did like their software when i had their ren.
So I'm curious. If you dislike the new models and prefer the old ones, then why do you bother discussing the new ones? Why do they get any of your attention? Why don't you just get one of the old models and be done with it?

"N-ggas want my old sh-t, buy my old album." On to the next one.

Last edited by mp3; 30th December 2016 at 07:44 PM..
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by viewing View Post
i

the ren was also metal with dedicated buttons; the basis of the unit still stands just with the added benefit of computer intergration
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
I'm not interested in it unless they brought back roger linn lol. Seriously i would like them to make this sound like the 3000 except with more up to date features. Don't want no emulations want that real sound and swing. But this looks ok kinda like the 5000/Ren. I'm just fully insteaded in new mpcs unless Roger linn comes back.
What good would Roger do today? Roger of the 80's is different to now.

He is making some random more experimental type instruments right now.

Lotta his stuff is not practical to many producers these days so that suggests he out of touch with the mainstream of producers.

Not to say his novelty instruments dont have value but it would suggest that his current wave of creativity is more eccentric than the average producer, wheres in the 80's his then level of creativity was in sync with the needs of the producers of that time.
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeg View Post
What good would Roger do today? Roger of the 80's is different to now.

He is making some random more experimental type instruments right now.

Lotta his stuff is not practical to many producers these days so that suggests he out of touch with the mainstream of producers.

Not to say his novelty instruments dont have value but it would suggest that his current wave of creativity is more eccentric than the average producer, wheres in the 80's his then level of creativity was in sync with the needs of the producers of that time.
Did roger linn set out to make the Mpc for the hip hop community etc, and people are still using his maschine 2016.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search