The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mpc X
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Yo Danoc,

There is also talk of that 8 audio tracks being able to be expanded via an upgrade/ hard drive.

I'm kinda cool with it as it is because I don't use or need 128 tracks to get my song across.

If there is too much going on at same time the song don't breathe with its own space.

Midi plus audio plus cv plus HW integration is good enough for me.

Cheers

Last edited by nickknack; 11th January 2017 at 06:21 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoc View Post
Thank you so much for thst info.
Tell yoy the truth l wasn't looking for the audio tracks now they got 8 audio tracks im going to freak it.
The functions on that thing got me thinkin up sum thangs lol next week lma start making vids. When that X get here lma get to work.
If that 2.0 software is tight lma get into it.
You know the Mpc SW doesn't work on win7 right, I remember that being your issue last time, the whole 8 audio tracks kinda bothers me as that and time-streaching was the things I was looking forward to.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Who says it all needs to end up back in the PC or Mac.

Standalone controller plus midi synthesizer and all out thru some outboard into master recorder.

I'm only seeing less than 10 k there for a killer system.

Cheers
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smack Dammit View Post
Yeah he is and I missed it actually...

But to answer your question, there is no benefit besides being able to work stand alone and greed for nu toys lol but like someone else said if your going to ultimately end back at the comp what's the point... Ableton and Push² is a hellava combo but I do have a soft spot for the Mpc it was the first piece of musical equipment I ever owned.... That being said ableton is probably the only program that handles samples as well or better than an mpc and it's a full blown daw not a groove box and to be honest that 8 audio tracks is a major turn off for me....
I feel the same way 100%

I too came up on Mpcs, first the 2000xl and then the 3k (true story, I was happy with my 2kxl until I was so fortunate enough to work on a certain "Dr's" mpc 3k in a studio session and thats when the gear lust started I suppose) then the 4k blah blah.

When I say Ive worked on mpcs I mean ive done quite damn well for myself using mpcs (I know my comments sound mostly negative).

I agree with you, Ableton has become the modern day mpc (ofcourse far more advanced) and when you throw Push 2 into the equation I mean.. You know what I mean.

Same here btw, the 8 audio track limit is really terrible, I understand the perspective of "its not supposed to replace your daw" well... Theyre actually marketing it as a stand alone daw so yes it is, my sessions almost always exceed 100 tracks, what will 8 tracks do for me is my point? Even from the perspective of quick vocal ideas, 8 tracks is such a limit.

Im curious if there is any buit in tuner in the vein of autotune too, cant really remember a time when an artist/writer didnt want to record without it.

Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smack Dammit View Post
You know the Mpc SW doesn't work on win7 right, I remember that being your issue last time, the whole 8 audio tracks kinda bothers me as that and time-streaching was the things I was looking forward to.
Yeah remember l said l got a new i7 win 10 I didnt open yet? lol thats why l bought that with wifi cause l gotta get those harps and connect to the internet and you know l hate that lol but l gotta fo it. I will be up soon working on some RnB stuff ill let ya hear a sample tomorrow. Thanks
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
Who says it all needs to end up back in the PC or Mac.

Standalone controller plus midi synthesizer and all out thru some outboard into master recorder.

I'm only seeing less than 10 k there for a killer system.

Cheers
Well I was speaking for myself but your right it doesn't have to end back at the comp that just my situation as well as the others who said there not leaving there daw but adding the mpc to it.... I like to micro edit the audio sometimes,make stutters, filter certain tracks at once , speed fades (a la Logic) yeah I need my DAWs....
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
Question.. I see youre heavily invested into Ableton/Push2 yourself (as am I), what benefit do you see in purchasing an Mpc X? Im curious cause Im TRYING to find one and possibly I overlooked something that you havent.
While this question wasn't addressed to me, one possibility for wanting something like an MPC X is so you don't have to turn on your computer, boot up your DAW, load your VST's, etc.

You flip the MPC X on and get right to work laying out your drum sequences and if you have some synths hooked up you can lay out some synth parts.

Then when you boot up the DAW transfer everything into it and finish it out.

Taking the computer out of the equation also makes it easier to focus on the task at hand.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
And for people who absolutely need to get a bit of that vintage vibe, they will still have access to the vintage mode plug-ins in the software, and a vintage mode can still be assigned globally.
And it is pretty much guaranteed that 99% of people who listen to the track won't care or be able to tell that it was a digital simulation.
Old 11th January 2017
Gear Head

[QUOTE=Doc Vigilanti;12368239]And it is pretty much guaranteed that 99% of people who listen to the track won't care or be able to tell that it was a digital simulation.[/QUOT

But I will care!
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Pairing the MPC X with a good synth pushes it into the realm of both studio and live which is the direction and workflow I like.

I'm not the draw in note kinda guy but on the other hand I am no virtuoso keyboard whiz.

Cheers
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you dude is buggin! He telling me my DAW aint setup right. Plus I never said anyone doubted the MPC was tight. I said in excitement that its tight cause l, Da NOC miss that tightness. Plus ehen l had PT the midi sucked and thats facts.

Dudes to this day midi dont line up. Jay Josh dope producer midi dont line up he has to place the midi notes on the grid but he doesn't complain.
I have tried going lower than 64 reso and the pads are to sensitive up to 128, 256, 512, 1024 still off the grid. But l will be back with the. X!
Jay josh midi don't be all over the place like that and you or I cant speak for that man, he's running screen capture and all that and how do we know if that time your talking about wasn't just sloppy finger drumming but for the most part his midi and playing be on point from the vids I've seen....
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
2 Not using standard computer hardware inside of these is actually a bad move, it can not be upgraded, so when the software is upgraded and adds features that the hardware can no longer handle, away goes your $2k and you need a new unit which basically just has a faster CPU, Akai could have offered upgrades (CPU/RAM) but their business strategy is going to be Live II XX and so on, add to this an extra branch of development for the hardware versions that would have run the standard X86 desktop version if computer hardware had been used, and the extra outlay would not be an extra $1k as some suggest, it would have been much less if any at all, this was a business choice pure and simple.
You open up a whole can of worms with CPU upgrades. Intel change the CPU sockets every generation these days. It's gonna make it like a PC where you have to upgrade the motherboard to use the new Intel chips.

The last couple of MPCs allowed you to upgrade the hard drive and memory though. I have a fast SSD and maxed out RAM on mine.

Non upgradeable hardware on the MPC isn't as big an issue as your making out. People are still making songs on their old MPC 3000 and MPC2k hardware twenty years on. The MPC1000 and 2500 are still being updated with new features in 2017 by JJOS.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ville101 View Post
But I will care!
But who is You!? *Caterpillar from Alice in Wonderland Voice*
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Really? Wow! Thats a huge oversight, considering the price, I don't see why they just didn't use a conventional laptop processor to alleviate that.

They almost got my money lol
People have been nagging about no standalones forever...and now it's grief time as it won't use VSTs. If it did, they'd nag in a year about the tech not being powerful enough to run all their stuff.
People gotta be realistic!
Even saw some ppl say "Well it's not fully standalone if you can still use it with a computer"...dear god.

You need to understand that if you open up the OS of any standalone to tech that uses VSTs, it'll be old tech to most in a year, and nobody's buying it.

Nobody's complaining about the lack of power in MPC 4000 if you know what I mean.
Old 11th January 2017
Gear Head

Wait till the next maschine drops these same die hards will be jumping off mpc x trash wagon with the quickness.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanu View Post
People have been nagging about no standalones forever...and now it's grief time as it won't use VSTs. If it did, they'd nag in a year about the tech not being powerful enough to run all their stuff.
People gotta be realistic!
Even saw some ppl say "Well it's not fully standalone if you can still use it with a computer"...dear god.

You need to understand that if you open up the OS of any standalone to tech that uses VSTs, it'll be old tech to most in a year, and nobody's buying it.

Nobody's complaining about the lack of power in MPC 4000 if you know what I mean.
I hear you 100%

I have not been one of those people nagging about stand alone however because.. well... its not 2008 anymore lol.

If the Mpc x can give me something I don't currently have then great, I'll order one. Believe me, I like toys and am trying to find a reason to want this.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wait till the next maschine drops these same die hards will be jumping off mpc x trash wagon with the quickness.
Thats actually what has me most excited about this Mpc X lol. The fact that if Akai did this, then NI must have something up their sleeve.

The thing I love about Machine is the ecosystem.
Old 11th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Thats actually what has me most excited about this Mpc X lol. The fact that if Akai did this, then NI must have something up their sleeve.

The thing I love about Machine is the ecosystem.
I totally agree you know they are probably cooking up something stupid.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Vigilanti View Post
While this question wasn't addressed to me, one possibility for wanting something like an MPC X is so you don't have to turn on your computer, boot up your DAW, load your VST's, etc.

You flip the MPC X on and get right to work laying out your drum sequences and if you have some synths hooked up you can lay out some synth parts.

Taking the computer out of the equation also makes it easier to focus on the task at hand.
Exactly! That is one of my main reasons for it. And FOR ME ITS WORTH IT. I can really focus on my drums a lot more and have that MPC feel again. And work faster.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I understand 100% what you're saying and again believe me I'm trying to find a reason (Namm will surely tell). My studio boot time from off to on is maybe 20-25 seconds max then another minute (maaaaaybe) for Ableton to boot my template loaded with a couple dozen soft synths and another dozen audio tracks already loaded with my favorite plugins.

I understand this was the selling point for mpcs of yesteryear (I was there lol) but today, this isn't a selling point imo.

I hope Akai gets it together and drops the 8 audio track limit, that would be a great start, just my opinion.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

I wouldn't rule out Roland making an announcement either.

That ACB sampler could be in the equation to trump them all.

Cheers
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I hear you 100%

I have not been one of those people nagging about stand alone however because.. well... its not 2008 anymore lol.

If the Mpc x can give me something I don't currently have then great, I'll order one. Believe me, I like toys and am trying to find a reason to want this.
Right on

The reason I'll be getting the Live (I already have Touch and a lot of other gear) is I've been saying "I wish there was a proper standalone sampler that's portable and runs on a battery" for ages.
I work long hours in front of my gear, and every now and then I feel I'd love to work on a beat somewhere else, even in my kitchen or on my bed or whatever, ha. Makes for a fresh change.
Old 11th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
I wouldn't rule out Roland making an announcement either.

That ACB sampler could be in the equation to trump them all.

Cheers
Yo you never know but either way the next few years should be a win win for gear heads. I think for me I'll just sit back and watch to see how other company's respond to the mpc x and live. Should be exciting.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Scenario Push, Toraiz, Maschine, Ren etc will be on ebay. If i got the X why would i get a standalone Maschine? What NI going to do add 128 audio tracks? If I didnt go to Maschine already l would never go. Ima die hard mpc dude to the death!

Ni ain't cooking up sh** they are dtill trying pick their jaw up from the ground.
Old 11th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Scenario Push, Toraiz, Maschine, Ren etc will be on ebay. If i got the X why would i get a standalone Maschine? What NI going to do add 128 audio tracks? If I didnt go to Maschine already l would never go. Ima die hard mpc dude to the death!

Ni ain't cooking up sh** they are dtill trying pick their jaw up from the ground.
You are a die hard mpc fan that currently does not use an mpc. Funny I find that odd.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yo you never know but either way the next few years should be a win win for gear heads. I think for me I'll just sit back and watch to see how other company's respond to the mpc x and live. Should be exciting.
Lol Akai got companies scrambling lol
In any form lma be happy :-)
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Exactly! That is one of my main reasons for it. And FOR ME ITS WORTH IT. I can really focus on my drums a lot more and have that MPC feel again. And work faster.
You get this and a Roland System 8, JD-XA, a Moog Minitaur or something and you can make whole tracks without ever touching the computer.

Plus, as long as you take care of it it should last just as long as an older MPC, 10 20 years. It won't ever be obsolete.

I want to get one, but I'll be 20k in the hole fast! lol
Old 11th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
You get this and a Roland System 8, JD-XA, a Moog Minitaur or something and you can make whole tracks without ever touching the computer.

Plus, as long as you take care of it it should last just as long as an older MPC, 10 20 years. It won't ever be obsolete.

I want to get one, but I'll be 20k in the hole fast! lol
That assuming these maschines have roger Linn mpc build quality. I can see the parts for these newer maschines including the screens being expensive to replace.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
You are a die hard mpc fan that currently does not use an mpc. Funny I find that odd.
Ummmm l had the mpc 2000XL now l have the lpd8 soon ill have The X! Now show me in that equation l used something other than Akai? Plus even if l didnt have a MPC l could still admire and be a fan.

Plus let me pop you on the head l been waiting for this a while ask Petty Cash.
Im on youtube in my old studio bangin out on my old MPC. Ha!

I was pateint enough to wait instead of gettin a Maschine etc. Now that's a motha f***ing fan!
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanu View Post
Right on

The reason I'll be getting the Live (I already have Touch and a lot of other gear) is I've been saying "I wish there was a proper standalone sampler that's portable and runs on a battery" for ages.
I work long hours in front of my gear, and every now and then I feel I'd love to work on a beat somewhere else, even in my kitchen or on my bed or whatever, ha. Makes for a fresh change.
I can respect that, makes total sense man!!!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search