The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mpc X
Old 11th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by danoc View Post
HELL YEAH!!! BRIAN MICHEAL COX ON THE X!!!! Its real! And ZAYTOVEN! DO YOU STILL DOUBT THE TIGHTNESS OF THE SEQUENCER? !!! ...
Who doubts the tightness of the MPC sequencer? Nobody does, it's tight. But it's nothing special. I play MIDI from my keyboard into PT's sequencer and it's exactly the same. It puts the notes exactly where I played them. And if I enable "input quantize" it puts them right on grid, just like the MPC. For complex timing, I just change the quantize resolution, same as the MPC. Looping works perfect too.

Running a 10' USB cord to my VERY OLD computer. I used MPC's for years, and there is nothing more "tight" about them than what I'm doing now. Maybe you had your DAW setup wrong.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
I keep going back and forth myself honestly. Fact is, I enjoy buying up toys to create with, however, the 8 audio track limit in standalone mode and lack of 3rd party plugin support (again, in stand alone mode) makes me think why did they even bother making it stand alone in the first place? I can't seem to find anything that would add to my predominantly Ableton setup (I'm sure many of you Ableton users understand what I mean) and it seems that after doing the math, the only thing I keep coming back to is that for the same price of an mpc X, I could get a moog sub 37, Juno 106 and have $500 or so left over lol.

I still keep going back and forth honestly but I can't afford to waste time by being an early adopter/guinea pig.
In this day and age, it's definitely going to be a luxury type of purchase for most people. If you're waiting for reasons as to why you NEED something like the MPC X in your setup, you may never find any worth spending the asking price for.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrane View Post

The reason is because the MPC sequencer is simply the best for making pattern based music.
Thank you! You need to put that in all caps!
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Is it 8 audio tracks in general or just 8 audio tracks in the hardware?
Old 11th January 2017
Gear Head

This X could be the end for Nukai, but maybe the live saves them.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender412 View Post
Who doubts the tightness of the MPC sequencer? Nobody does, it's tight. But it's nothing special. I play MIDI from my keyboard into PT's sequencer and it's exactly the same. It puts the notes exactly where I played them. And if I enable "input quantize" it puts them right on grid, just like the MPC. For complex timing, I just change the quantize resolution, same as the MPC. Looping works perfect too.

Running a 10' USB cord to my VERY OLD computer. I used MPC's for years, and there is nothing more "tight" about them than what I'm doing now. Maybe you had your DAW setup wrong.
if you quantize notes then yes it will put them on the grid, but you're not telling the whole story.

Sometimes you may have to try your performance again because once quantized, something didn't get pushed to grid it actually got pushed off grid. The only daw that does as good with midi as the MPC is Logic. I can through almost any thing at it and it'll quantize it without messing it up.

Cubase on the other hand isn't as good. My playing hascto he more precise. Let's not take this out of context. Also let's note that different generations of MPCs had better midi timing than others. Some as slow as 4 MS which is perceivable.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smack Dammit View Post
8 audio tracks in stand alone.

This is the mode that really counts, idk how I feel about such a limitation personally.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

This is the mode that really counts, idk how I feel about such a limitation personally.
Right, I've been trying to get my head around the workflow. So, what's the time limit for a loop being called a sample or an audio track? Can we have 16 loops assigned to the pads that are all 64 bars long? Or would that be an audio track? How's it work? Is there a timeline in record mode that dictates "loop" or "audio"?
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Its 8 Audio tracks and 128 MIDI tracks in standalone.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
Right, I've been trying to get my head around the workflow. So, what's the time limit for a loop being called a sample or an audio track? Can we have 16 loops assigned to the pads that are all 64 bars long? Or would that be an audio track? How's it work? Is there a timeline in record mode that dictates "loop" or "audio"?
An audio track is linear and played off the harddrive, a sample is held in RAM and triggered via MIDI, i doubt there is a limitation on single sample size up to RAM limit, but why anybody would want to trigger 64 bar loops is beyond me, seems to miss the entire point of an MPC.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
yea, its a shame they just didnt go 128 audio tracks in both stand alone and tethered
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
An audio track is linear and played off the harddrive, a sample is held in RAM and triggered via MIDI, i doubt there is a limitation on single sample size up to RAM limit, but why anybody would want to trigger 64 bar loops is beyond me, seems to miss the entire point of an MPC.
I see.
I guess it depends on what you're going for. For me, I'd like to loop longer sequences, send them out of the outputs into effects pedals and then through a mixer and mix those channels in real time back into the stereo tracks of the MPCX as a master mix down If not possible, I'd mix out to cassette deck I like to use to record to.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
yea, its a shame they just didnt go 128 audio tracks in both stand alone and tethered
128 audio tracks is, well... Quite a bit.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
In the vid the Akai rep said there is 128 tracks.
Who said from Akai there was only 8 audio tracks?
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's putting it very lightly.

It's still an MPC, as much as people want it to be a fully fledged production and recording DAW. You really only need the audio tracks for stuff that you want to have play linearly beside the rest of your sequence (live instrument recordings, scratch vocals, etc.). 8 audio tracks in standalone is indeed limited, but pretty doable within the scope of working with a drum machine.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I suppose, however, thats what is offered in software mode, yes?

I dont see why there is a difference.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL GREEN View Post
Its 8 Audio tracks and 128 MIDI tracks in standalone.
Where did you get that info? Thanks
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

It would seem 128 audio tracks and unlimited midi tracks.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Yeah that's a bummer!
Old 11th January 2017
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Myself, Jay Josh and others must have our DAW set up wrong. Why are you worried over the fact that i said tight? lol
Here's my solution THE MPCX!
I don't want you to worry about me and my setup. Its just fine and l can prove.it.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
O that's my boy F-major definitely have to check it, where u at anyway @F Major
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

This guy gets it!!! ^^^

Its all about roi with me, If I see myself benefiting from this machine, I'm on it!
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
O that's my boy F-major definitely have to check it, where u at anyway @F Major
Yea, hes good people, happy he did a stream.

Question.. I see youre heavily invested into Ableton/Push2 yourself (as am I), what benefit do you see in purchasing an Mpc X? Im curious cause Im TRYING to find one and possibly I overlooked something that you havent.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
That's putting it very lightly.

It's still an MPC, as much as people want it to be a fully fledged production and recording DAW. You really only need the audio tracks for stuff that you want to have play linearly beside the rest of your sequence (live instrument recordings, scratch vocals, etc.). 8 audio tracks in standalone is indeed limited, but pretty doable within the scope of working with a drum machine.
Exactly. People buggin cause they are getting only 8 tracks. We didnt get that back in the day should be glad we got audio at all. I wasnt looking for audio to be honest. Trying to make it a PC cause of the price.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by classictunz View Post
if you quantize notes then yes it will put them on the grid, but you're not telling the whole story.

Sometimes you may have to try your performance again because once quantized, something didn't get pushed to grid it actually got pushed off grid. The only daw that does as good with midi as the MPC is Logic. I can through almost any thing at it and it'll quantize it without messing it up.

Cubase on the other hand isn't as good. My playing hascto he more precise. Let's not take this out of context. Also let's note that different generations of MPCs had better midi timing than others. Some as slow as 4 MS which is perceivable.
Thank you dude is buggin! He telling me my DAW aint setup right. Plus I never said anyone doubted the MPC was tight. I said in excitement that its tight cause l, Da NOC miss that tightness. Plus ehen l had PT the midi sucked and thats facts.

Dudes to this day midi dont line up. Jay Josh dope producer midi dont line up he has to place the midi notes on the grid but he doesn't complain.
I have tried going lower than 64 reso and the pads are to sensitive up to 128, 256, 512, 1024 still off the grid. But l will be back with the. X!

Last edited by danoc; 11th January 2017 at 06:20 AM..
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

It's ugly as hell to.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoc View Post
Where did you get that info? Thanks
This from Akai's website, it really does have 128 Audio Tracks but in Controller mode with a PC but in standalone, its limited to 8 Audio Tracks. MIDI tracks doesn't take up much space like raw audio. 128 MIDI tracks was mentioned in one of the new videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAI PRO
udio Tracks:
Capture, edit and mix up to 8 studio-grade resolution audio tracks in standalone mode (MPC X and MPC Live), or expand your track limit to an immense 128 tracks in controller mode. Furnished with critical audio recording functionality - including multi-track capture, selectable monitoring options (Off, On & Auto), monitoring via effects, Punch In/Out Recording and Record Start options – MPC 2.0 empowers producers and performers with core audio-capture and the convenience of full featured standalone operation.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL GREEN View Post
This from Akai's website, it really does have 128 Audio Tracks but in Controller mode with a PC but in standalone, its limited to 8 Audio Tracks. MIDI tracks doesn't take up much space like raw audio. 128 MIDI tracks was mentioned in one of the new videos.
Thank you so much for thst info.
Tell yoy the truth l wasn't looking for the audio tracks now they got 8 audio tracks im going to freak it.
The functions on that thing got me thinkin up sum thangs lol next week lma start making vids. When that X get here lma get to work.
If that 2.0 software is tight lma get into it.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yea, hes good people, happy he did a stream.

Question.. I see youre heavily invested into Ableton/Push2 yourself (as am I), what benefit do you see in purchasing an Mpc X? Im curious cause Im TRYING to find one and possibly I overlooked something that you havent.
Yeah he is and I missed it actually...

But to answer your question, there is no benefit besides being able to work stand alone and greed for nu toys lol but like someone else said if your going to ultimately end back at the comp what's the point... Ableton and Push² is a hellava combo but I do have a soft spot for the Mpc it was the first piece of musical equipment I ever owned.... That being said ableton is probably the only program that handles samples as well or better than an mpc and it's a full blown daw not a groove box and to be honest that 8 audio tracks is a major turn off for me....
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search