The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mpc X
Old 10th January 2017
  #451
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 

I'm not kidding or trolling you guys when I say this, but at my local audio retailer, I caught a glimpse of all the used Push controllers they have coming in that they're now trying to sell off at some pretty cheap prices. Most of them actually looked well taken care of, condition wise. My guess... some people are already preparing for March!
Old 10th January 2017
  #452
Quote:
Originally Posted by danoc View Post
Me either lm not getting rid of my DAWs at all
My main two focuses are:
1. Tight sequencing
2. Able to transfer my drum loops and melodies via USB to my PC then drag and drop my sounds into my daw for arrangements and mixing.

That MPCx is the hardware and strength of my drum setup. I have no desire to do to do entire tracks in it. I use to do to do that in the 2000XL.
I never felt right doing melodies/chords on the MPC. I agree with you on the drums. Sample chopping is easy as well, but im not much of a sample based producer.
Old 10th January 2017
  #453
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
Really? Wow! Thats a huge oversight, considering the price, I don't see why they just didn't use a conventional laptop processor to alleviate that.

They almost got my money lol
It is, but at the same time it isn't. I would like to have all my virtual instruments and mixing plug-ins accessible on the MPC X in standalone mode, but it would suck big time having to install and authorize all that stuff over again just for the MPC X... and some products have a very limited amount of authorizations available as it is. It's reasons like that why I prefer iLok. Install it where I want, and authorize the machines when I need them.
Old 10th January 2017
  #454
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
I live in Australia and my man from Sweetwater rang this morning and told me April for the X .

These things will be about 4 k Downunder and not available till may or June.

I'll use it as a sequencer by some HW synths so hat will alleviate any interaction with a PC.

Cheers
It will probably be 3K for me... sucks, but what can you do.
Old 10th January 2017
  #455
Lives for gear
 
Smack Dammit's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Most Ren users didn't even want to go back to tracking out beats anyway when they could save time by simply keeping everything ITB, so it didn't even matter that AKAI tried to appease people like that when approaching the sound of the Ren hardware. I don't see why that would matter now with the MPC X, outside of the odd big mouth troll here and there.

Personally, what I expect for the money I'm spending is something pristine and clear sounding. Allow me to decide what I want to do with the sound sonically, rather than creatively degrading it for that "cool" factor.
I think it will sound just like the software, clean and neutral.. Listen to the cycle-kit vid with good cans on, sounds pretty good to me and shout out to Masada of cycle-kit.com for uploading the vid, my fav by far... Dude has some overdope drum kits for sale, round robin bap drums (exclusively for mpc sw) if that's your thing y'all should definitely check them out....
Old 10th January 2017
  #456
Lives for gear
 
Smack Dammit's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo_Beats View Post
I never felt right doing melodies/chords on the MPC. I agree with you on the drums. Sample chopping is easy as well, but im not much of a sample based producer.
Neither is Zaytoven,C-note and Drummer Boy and all are die hard MP users...
Old 10th January 2017
  #457
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smack Dammit View Post
I think it will sound just like the software, clean and neutral.. Listen to the cycle-kit vid with good cans on, sounds pretty good to me and shout out to Masada of cycle-kit.com for uploading the vid, my fav by far... Dude has some overdope drum kits for sale, round robin bap drums (exclusively for mpc sw) if that's your thing y'all should definitely check them out....
Watching that one right now man.... as much as I wasn't interested in the Live, maybe it's just my excitement talking at the moment, but I may end up getting rid of my current MPC controllers and roll with the MPC X in the studio, and get an MPC Live for on the go use.

The X is too nice. I could find myself just starring at it for a good 10 mins before I even get to work on anything, that's how nice it looks to me lol.
1
Share
Old 10th January 2017
  #458
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 

Ultimately, I think what I end up doing with the older controllers will depend on how nice 2.0 support ends up being for them.
1
Share
Old 10th January 2017
  #459
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
I'm not kidding or trolling you guys when I say this, but at my local audio retailer, I caught a glimpse of all the used Push controllers they have coming in that they're now trying to sell off at some pretty cheap prices. Most of them actually looked well taken care of, condition wise. My guess... some people are already preparing for March!
DaNOC<-------fell out laughing lol l told yall dudes
Are scrambling lol Pc l wish l could see the look on your face lmao

Dudes think this is a joke Akai is making moves.
2
Share
Old 10th January 2017
  #460
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo_Beats View Post
I never felt right doing melodies/chords on the MPC. I agree with you on the drums. Sample chopping is easy as well, but im not much of a sample based producer.
With me taking like some one shot harps and play melodies on top of the drums it sounds dope and tight. I love it and miss it. I got some tricks up my sleeve which l don't wanna discuss.
1
Share
Old 10th January 2017
  #461
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
Really? Wow! Thats a huge oversight, considering the price, I don't see why they just didn't use a conventional laptop processor to alleviate that.

They almost got my money lol
But to be fair they're not marketing it as a computer. It's not going to be competing with the Open Labs Neko. I'm guessing they'd have to be running Windows on it to use VSTs. You will lose the classic MPC rock stability going that route. They might running it some on super lite embedded Linux variant with virtually no overhead.
3
Share
Old 10th January 2017
  #462
Lives for gear
 

From what i saw on the Live the AD/DA converters is tight.
1
Share
Old 10th January 2017
  #463
Lives for gear
 
Smack Dammit's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
But to be fair they're not marketing it as a computer. It's not going to be competing with the Open Labs Neko. I'm guessing they'd have to be running Windows on it to use VSTs. You will lose the classic MPC rock stability going that route. They might running it some on super lite embedded Linux variant with virtually no overhead.
I was thinking the same, might make the hardware extremely unstable and very hard to fix bugs, price point as well,it would probably cost $3000 plus USD..
1
Share
Old 10th January 2017
  #464
Lives for gear
 

PC

I think we all will need to reinstall our Plugs and vsts because I am sure I read into it that anything after 1.9.8 or whatever is not backwards compatible after you install V2.

If you still have the Ren I could see it getting phased out sooner or later.

Like you said.....would be better with Il-Lok?
MPCx is more DAW like than before.

Would be nice to treat the 2.5 inch bay underneath as say operating system and critical SW and the USB and SD card as swappable files between computer and standalone.

Cheers
1
Share
Old 10th January 2017
  #465
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
But to be fair they're not marketing it as a computer.
Exactly! They are marketing as they said in the A HYBRID POWERFUL STANDALONE WITH POWERFUL CAPABILITIES!

The moves they made was strategic. While they had the world looking at the Ren Akai was in the lab.

What ate the other companies going to do now?

From the sexy look to its functions the X and Live is going to kill the market. It will be the standard in home studios and major studios.

Watch how many Maschine users flip back to Akai. Not that they need it, just cause. S lot of Maschine users were MPC users.

Rodney Jerkins is a die hard MPC 3000 fan he is going to give that up or have both!

I can't remember when i heard someone say they will buy both the Ren and studio.
There are three people here in this thread that said they will get both, including myself.

This is a powerful phenomenon happening all over again.
Akai started it and will end it. Hell they might be in the lab doing something else to blow our minds.

Live you can put in a bag and go and it gas battery life. Who else is doing that? Its basically a portable studio in a bag. I thought it was not powerful. Wrong! Its just as powerful as the X . Just smakler in version without some of the nick nacks that the X has.

I can imagine rocking X with Studio One 3, that is going to be sick!
Old 10th January 2017
  #466
Lives for gear
 

Me, l like dealing with challenge and response lD and codes for a software. I hate dongles. Izotope VInyl was so easy to put on my computer and lm loving the 64 bit environment.
Old 10th January 2017
  #467
Lives for gear
 
soultrane's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmean View Post
just my two cents...
i think most people working on mpc's have had a daw nearby almost always....hard not have a feeling that the converters on this thing are gonna be on the behringer/made in china side of the spectrum.
nothing wrong with that; ADA8000 convertors could go head to head with Apogee or Lynx...

converters probably won't be the problem. Mic pres, on the other hand...
Old 10th January 2017
  #468
Lives for gear
 

It is fun to watch a couple of people in one thread on one forum proclaim these as "going to change the world" a few pointers
1 Nobody knows how stable the OS is going to be in these, they are built on Linux, which does not automagically mean 'Stability' or indeed 'MIDI tightness'
2 Not using standard computer hardware inside of these is actually a bad move, it can not be upgraded, so when the software is upgraded and adds features that the hardware can no longer handle, away goes your $2k and you need a new unit which basically just has a faster CPU, Akai could have offered upgrades (CPU/RAM) but their business strategy is going to be Live II XX and so on, add to this an extra branch of development for the hardware versions that would have run the standard X86 desktop version if computer hardware had been used, and the extra outlay would not be an extra $1k as some suggest, it would have been much less if any at all, this was a business choice pure and simple.
3 A lot of people will be overly excited about these before and immediately after the fact, anybody with any sense at all will wait, Akai do not have a great reputation for getting working articles out the door.

I am really interested in the Live myself for erm live work, however i will not be getting on board with these until they have been bomb tested for at least a year out in the wild.
1
Share
Old 10th January 2017
  #469
Lives for gear
 
soultrane's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
Really? Wow! Thats a huge oversight, considering the price, I don't see why they just didn't use a conventional laptop processor to alleviate that.

They almost got my money lol
You can't run VST on the shell OS they're using it for. Has nothing to do with the processor.

No MPC in history had as many effects as these new boxes have. And, you can plug your project into your PC/Mac and use VST to your heart's content.
Old 10th January 2017
  #470
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrane View Post
You can't run VST on the shell OS they're using it for. Has nothing to do with the processor.

No MPC in history had as many effects as these new boxes have. And, you can plug your project into your PC/Mac and use VST to your heart's content.
SO they are using an x86 instruction set processor ?
Because if they aren't, then the processor sure does have something to do with not running VST, the FDD info had it down as running ARM processor, did that change ?
Old 10th January 2017
  #471
Lives for gear
 
soultrane's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
SO they are using an x86 instruction set processor ?
Because if they aren't, then the processor sure does have something to do with not running VST, the FDD info had it down as running ARM processor, did that change ?
No, but point being the MPC controller suffers because it doesn't give you the tight sync of the standalone units, even the really old ones.

That's because of the OS (Windows or Mac), plus the myriad configurations of peripherals.

The standalone unit will give you the best of both (hopefully); it will give you an OS/processor combo that is optimized to send and receive MIDI and do syncing with low latency;

When your track is set up the way you want, you quickly a) bounce it and import into your DAW of choice, or b) plug it into your computer and finish w the MPC software hosting your plug ins.

It's a no lose situation, IF (emphasize IF) they nailed the processor/OS like Linn was able to do.
2
Share
Old 10th January 2017
  #472
Lives for gear
 
soultrane's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
2 Not using standard computer hardware inside of these is actually a bad move, it can not be upgraded, so when the software is upgraded and adds features that the hardware can no longer handle, away goes your $2k and you need a new unit which basically just has a faster CPU, Akai could have offered upgrades
Then why are MPC3000's, w zip drive, going for $2k these days?

Linn's great thing was he wasn't aiming for a snapshot of computer technology c. 1997, but an instrument.

The 3000 and the 60 were instruments, and they still are.

The X just needs to feel like an instrument, i.e., something you can know inside and out, fly around on, and when you run up against it's limitations, bounce and export.
1
Share
Old 10th January 2017
  #473
mp3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
It is fun to watch a couple of people in one thread on one forum proclaim these as "going to change the world" a few pointers
1 Nobody knows how stable the OS is going to be in these, they are built on Linux, which does not automagically mean 'Stability' or indeed 'MIDI tightness'
2 Not using standard computer hardware inside of these is actually a bad move, it can not be upgraded, so when the software is upgraded and adds features that the hardware can no longer handle, away goes your $2k and you need a new unit which basically just has a faster CPU, Akai could have offered upgrades (CPU/RAM) but their business strategy is going to be Live II XX and so on, add to this an extra branch of development for the hardware versions that would have run the standard X86 desktop version if computer hardware had been used, and the extra outlay would not be an extra $1k as some suggest, it would have been much less if any at all, this was a business choice pure and simple.
3 A lot of people will be overly excited about these before and immediately after the fact, anybody with any sense at all will wait, Akai do not have a great reputation for getting working articles out the door.

I am really interested in the Live myself for erm live work, however i will not be getting on board with these until they have been bomb tested for at least a year out in the wild.
1. Yes stable and bug-free operation is the million dollar question.

2. Depending on #1 , you could ostensibly use these machines as-is for the rest of your natural life. Upgradeable hardware has both benefits and drawbacks for both the manufacturer and the customer. But as a business model, the upgradeable hardware strategy hasn't really worked for anyone else in this particular industry... You don't even hear much about people upgrading their desktop processors any more. Can't knock a company for avoiding that quagmire.

3. I'm with you there, except its not because of Akai's rep (which I think is way overblown - you could say the same about half the companies in this market space), but because that's what makes sense for me, and I don't buy on impulse.
1
Share
Old 10th January 2017
  #474
Lives for gear
 
Smack Dammit's Avatar
 

Not sure if these have been posted yet
https://youtu.be/LIuCk9abpGI

https://youtu.be/JnbEznpLiLs
Old 10th January 2017
  #475
Lives for gear
 
Smack Dammit's Avatar
 

Yeah I don't know about it changing the world, these DAWs now days are just too far ahead of an mpc for some people to change, FL users will still use FL, ableton die hards will still use that and so on. I do think it will be a hit for us older producers and people who grew up on Mpc's and all the tech BS to the side, you gotta admit these two new machines are looking amazing, I too was on the fence at first but I'm routing for Akai on this one... I won't be an earlier adopter either but I won't be far behind..
Old 10th January 2017
  #476
Lives for gear
 
s12512's Avatar
Well!! I'll be getting one!!
Old 10th January 2017
  #477
Lives for gear
 
steelyfan's Avatar
 

So, as I'm researching the MPCX I understand it will run on Akai's 2.0 SW, I'm trying to study up and see what it's capable of. But from I'm reading, the MPCX only offers 8 audio tracks in stand alone and 128 when tied to a computer? Is this correct? I guess I was thinking with 16 pads you'd get at least 16 audio tracks, stereo or mono, but I'm still unclear. Can anyone set me strait on this because I'm having a hard time accepting only 8 tracks in 2017 on a $2000 machine. lOl This can't be right. I guess if so, you could bounce down a stereo track and continue adding layers to build up a song, but what's the word?

Cheers
Old 10th January 2017
  #478
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
So, as I'm researching the MPCX I understand it will run on Akai's 2.0 SW, I'm trying to study up and see what it's capable of. But from I'm reading, the MPCX only offers 8 audio tracks in stand alone and 128 when tied to a computer? Is this correct? I guess I was thinking with 16 pads you'd get at least 16 audio tracks, stereo or mono, but I'm still unclear. Can anyone set me strait on this because I'm having a hard time accepting only 8 tracks in 2017 on a $2000 machine. lOl This can't be right. I guess if so, you could bounce down a stereo track and continue adding layers to build up a song, but what's the word?

Cheers

Well if its stable I'll take the 8 audio tracks
Also imho in 2017 I still find myself going to a DAW( Logic) for recording audio, so 8 audio tracks works for me, I would guess that it could change with future updates (?)
Old 10th January 2017
  #479
mp3
Lives for gear
 

These machines have 128 tracks for synths, samples, and/or external MIDI devices, and 8 tracks for audio.
1
Share
Old 10th January 2017
  #480
Lives for gear
 
Doc Vigilanti's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Personally, what I expect for the money I'm spending is something pristine and clear sounding. Allow me to decide what I want to do with the sound sonically, rather than creatively degrading it for that "cool" factor.
I get wanting to get that vintage vibe from the old hardware, but the technology is leaps and bounds better than what it was back then. I want to hear more extremely talented people making great records with new gear.

It would stand to make sense that you should be able to get the tone and color you are looking for from modern gear and still not sound like a 60's or 70's throwback.

Last edited by Doc Vigilanti; 10th January 2017 at 08:45 PM..
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump