The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mpc X
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by classictunz View Post
Exactly, Windows is plagued with jitters from OS to OS. Windows 10 being the worse from what I've read.

I'm using Windows 10 with Maschine with a current i5 6500 and a 512 SSD. It's running great, but that's Maschine, I can't speak for all devices and midi drivers.

M-Audio's Midi Sport was a nightmare for me and never worked. It made notes stick and many other things. I could never say midi isn't an issue, which is sad because it's 40 year old tech.
That's what Im talking bout l know whst lm talking about when its happening to me right now and others.

Problem solved MPCx! For me l could careless what another cat keeps in his studio lm grtting what I want cause l know what I need.

I can't wait for that thing to drop. Its going to be the hardest wait of my life lol
Old 10th January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
I'm right here man I ain't no beta tester though I told you I'm waiting til this drop and I'm gonna buy somebody's MPC Touch for like $150. Might flip my 2500/JJ/XLCD and pick up the X or Live this summer. Might not... Depending on if I like the Touch/MPC SW or not.

I just keep having the thought that I'm gonna be doing the same thing on the new MPC that I do on the MPC I got right now so why bother???
Idk what DAW you're coming from, but if it's S1, Logic, Ableton... you're not gonna like MPC software too much. There's a whole lot to be desired, and from the feature list they're touting, there's still going to be when 2.0 drops. It's honestly the reason I'm probably gonna pass on both these new mpc's even though there's stuff I like about them. You have no glide/portamento, no warp/flex markers from what I can see, using plugins in MPC 1.9 was awful... We'll see what they fixed, but I have very little faith in Akai's software development team. They're pretty far behind the curve. There's a reason I only use MPC as a plugin, and my days of chopping up a sample and laying down drums with a one shot bass are long gone. I bought the Touch and learned my lesson. I wouldn't beta test a 1200 or 2200 dollar product either. I'm keeping the Touch as a nice drum/sample chopping controller and sticking with my legit DAWs.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL GREEN View Post
Check this video and you tell me.

THANK YOU FOR THAT VID!
it answered my questions as to transferring drums from it to my computer.

ITS A DAM WRAP!

notice everything was in sync and he didn't have to fix NOTHING!

Thats my point and thats whst l been missing! No more quantize mishaps just straight hit making and working fast. That joint work on batteries dam! Akai is going to kill it. Hell l might get the X and the Live now. There will be people who would get both and Akai knows ehst the hell they are doing!
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smack Dammit View Post
The 4000 is running SW as well, really the first one with complicated SW at that, very deep machine... Yes they are moving forward but a glimpse of the past is definitely still there hints all this commotion, one concern tho, hope it's built like the tanks of the past... It won't sound like the old machines either, would be nice if it had that 4000 sound (clean and big) it will sound super clean like a daw I think....

Edit: yes they have tempo detection that came with 1.8 (don't quote me on that) but it's there..
Yo did you see the time stretch in that bad boy? The pitch stayed the same ohhhhh my gawd! Its ova !
If it is to clean thats what the free Izotope Vinyl is for dirty that mofo up lol Drethe5th should have never shown me that. Its ova!
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Looks quite promising, has anyone seen if it runs plugins natively? I can't see how Akai would overlook the importance of this. If it does, I may pick up an X if not well then it wouldn't make any sense lol (having to drag everything to your software daw of choice for plugins makes me feel like I may have well just started the song there you know? )
Old 10th January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
Looks quite promising, has anyone seen if it runs plugins natively? I can't see how Akai would overlook the importance of this. If it does, I may pick up an X if not well then it wouldn't make any sense lol (having to drag everything to your software daw of choice for plugins makes me feel like I may have well just started the song there you know? )
You have to be connected to the computer to use 3rd party plugs. Not sure about Akai's plugins.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatsWilsonian View Post
You have to be connected to the computer to use 3rd party plugs. Not sure about Akai's plugins.
Really? Wow! Thats a huge oversight, considering the price, I don't see why they just didn't use a conventional laptop processor to alleviate that.

They almost got my money lol
Old 10th January 2017
This is a must buy for me. Yo Danoc, I put my bat away for now bruh. I don't think I'll need it. LOL
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Idk what DAW you're coming from, but if it's S1, Logic, Ableton... you're not gonna like MPC software too much. There's a whole lot to be desired, and from the feature list they're touting, there's still going to be when 2.0 drops. It's honestly the reason I'm probably gonna pass on both these new mpc's even though there's stuff I like about them. You have no glide/portamento, no warp/flex markers from what I can see, using plugins in MPC 1.9 was awful... We'll see what they fixed, but I have very little faith in Akai's software development team. They're pretty far behind the curve. There's a reason I only use MPC as a plugin, and my days of chopping up a sample and laying down drums with a one shot bass are long gone. I bought the Touch and learned my lesson. I wouldn't beta test a 1200 or 2200 dollar product either. I'm keeping the Touch as a nice drum/sample chopping controller and sticking with my legit DAWs.
I totally get what your saying as I thought about this myself, it's mos def gonna be some things that needs to be done in daw, I do recall the mpc SW having glide tho, maybe check in keygroup, few vids on the tube about as well, granted it won't be as graceful as ableton or logic but can be gone.. I think the nu MPC's won't gel with most people who started going music in SW, these DAWs just do too much(that's a good thing) but that's the beauty in stand alone it just back to the basics of making beats, in my daw I can automate this, that, start mixing, playing with all my softsynth's and creative effects and that sometimes slows me down... Mpc software is basic but powerful and with audio and midi drag and drop, just drop the midi of the track need automation into daw of choice and go from there......
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

I live in Australia and my man from Sweetwater rang this morning and told me April for the X .

These things will be about 4 k Downunder and not available till may or June.

I'll use it as a sequencer by some HW synths so hat will alleviate any interaction with a PC.

Cheers
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeg View Post
Yo he said the battery last for 45 hours?

Da N.O.C.<<<<-------just fell the hell out!!!

Did you see him punch in the chords on the Live and didn't have to fix it?

"My days will be beautiful again"!

The Live is powerful.

I told yall they been working on this for a few years and its not just a standalone its a freakin DAW! !!!! I dont even want the software just give me the X and be dine with it.

I told yall before these vids came out they need to put the most expensive out first or both at the same time. Now look they coming out at the same time.

Akai has tsken its throne back. I don't want to hear about Maschine nor Toraiz or any other drum machine causr l might cuss you the hell OUT!!!!

Those machines are crazy. Now how are other companies going to catch up to that? Their might be a decline in DAWs. I can pitcher every major studio having mostly the live or X.

These MPCs without doubt is the new standard hands down! Facts!!!
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
Excellent, thanks for the info. I appreciate it. Right, so I just read and watched the latest links. Impressive! I'm definitely in for sure now.

1> I've never used an MPC before, but I'm used to seeing effect sends, auxs, etc on gear. I don't use plugins for reverbs or effects, but hardware boxes, so I didn't see any "sends" on the MPCX except the outputs, which you could send to a mixer and get the same results.

6> right, so on some samplers, like Push2, you can assign different velocity layers to one pad. Like when playing a high hat and you want velocity to change the volume of the hats from softer to louder to make it groove or not stay the same volume, like a real drummer, but instead of triggering the hats velocity, harder or softer pad hits can trigger a different layer of sound. So you could have a bass note, kick drum, and whatever other sound trigger from one pad by how hard or soft you play the pad.

Cheers
Ok I get what your saying now on bith quetios l didnt understand.
On the velocity yep I use to do thst all the time. Plus tlyou can take the same kick spread it across all 16 pads hit the first loud pad while recording and keep hitting quieter pads in like a delay type of effect. I love doing that this way you are in time withe the tempo.

You're a hardware guy l understand l use to be also. At my studio lm in the box but going to the major studio l use hw.

But now you l know you will purchase it now lol. Im glad to help you and we need to more of that. When we get we can share ideas.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by esaias View Post
Hey any idea can the MPC X play long wav files and does it have dedicated audio tracks in its seq?

thanks!

-Tomi
yes, Yes and YES!!!!!!
Old 10th January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smack Dammit View Post
I totally get what your saying as I thought about this myself, it's mos def gonna be some things that needs to be done in daw, I do recall the mpc SW having glide tho, maybe check in keygroup, few vids on the tube about as well, granted it won't be as graceful as ableton or logic but can be gone.. I think the nu MPC's won't gel with most people who started going music in SW, these DAWs just do too much(that's a good thing) but that's the beauty in stand alone it just back to the basics of making beats, in my daw I can automate this, that, start mixing, playing with all my softsynth's and creative effects and that sometimes slows me down... Mpc software is basic but powerful and with audio and midi drag and drop, just drop the midi of the track need automation into daw of choice and go from there......
No portamento, just pitch bend range. Not what I want for 808s, one shots, or any monophonic instrument. I use both pitch bend and portamento functions separately. Pretty bad to not have in 2017. And I get the desire to go back... I owned a 2kxl and had a lot of fun back in the day. But my work progressed past that being the only thing I used, and I can't imagine going back. I thought the Touch was gonna be best of both worlds, only to find myself more pissed off using MPC software lol. I think people forget that the driving force of these new MPCs IS the software. I would never tell someone not to get it if they think it's for them, but the price points are kinda high for something I know is gonna have me working on the computer at the end of the day.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoc View Post
Yo he said the battery last for 45 hours?

Da N.O.C.<<<<-------just fell the hell out!!!

Did you see him punch in the chords on the Live and didn't have to fix it?

"My days will be beautiful again"!

The Live is powerful.

I told yall they been working on this for a few years and its not just a standalone its a freakin DAW! !!!! I dont even want the software just give me the X and be dine with it.

I told yall before these vids came out they need to put the most expensive out first or both at the same time. Now look they coming out at the same time.

Akai has tsken its throne back. I don't want to hear about Maschine nor Toraiz or any other drum machine causr l might cuss you the hell OUT!!!!

Those machines are crazy. Now how are other companies going to catch up to that? Their might be a decline in DAWs. I can pitcher every major studio having mostly the live or X.

These MPCs without doubt is the new standard hands down! Facts!!!
4-5 hours, maybe 6.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. who? View Post
This is a must buy for me. Yo Danoc, I put my bat away for now bruh. I don't think I'll need it. LOL
lol lmao
Yo lma fix Akai some hot hoggies and some chocolate kandy lol
They just muredered the game! Hell l might get both. One for mobile and the X stay in the studio.

Last edited by danoc; 10th January 2017 at 02:21 AM..
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
No portamento, just pitch bend range. Not what I want for 808s, one shots, or any monophonic instrument. I use both pitch bend and portamento functions separately. Pretty bad to not have in 2017. And I get the desire to go back... I owned a 2kxl and had a lot of fun back in the day. But my work progressed past that being the only thing I used, and I can't imagine going back. I thought the Touch was gonna be best of both worlds, only to find myself more pissed off using MPC software lol. I think people forget that the driving force of these new MPCs IS the software. I would never tell someone not to get it if they think it's for them, but the price points are kinda high for something I know is gonna have me working on the computer at the end of the day.
Very valid points sir, it's mos def a luxury pice!!!!
Old 10th January 2017
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Man who you getting a mpc touch from for $150 bucks used in mint condition?
Some loser who thinks he needs the latest and greatest. It'll happen and I'll let you know when it does
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I thought the Touch was gonna be best of both worlds, only to find myself more pissed off using MPC software lol.
lol haaaaha lm so glad l listened to Petty Cash cause that sw would of pissed me off if my drums didn't flip perfect.
Old 10th January 2017
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's kinda my point is that I don't intend to replace my DAW. If I did buy one of these new machines it would be to replace my current MPC. I use hardware for it's strength which is inspiration, and I use software for what it's good at which is turning that inspiration into a finished track. I have no intention or desire to finish a track on an mpc in 2017.

So on one hand I could live with all the shortcomings and such, just as I do with my current MPC. But on the other hand thats a lot of money to fork over to basically do the same thing I can do right now.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's kinda my point is that I don't intend to replace my DAW. If I did buy one of these new machines it would be to replace my current MPC. I use hardware for it's strength which is inspiration, and I use software for what it's good at which is turning that inspiration into a finished track. I have no intention or desire to finish a track on an mpc in 2017.

So on one hand I could live with all the shortcomings and such, just as I do with my current MPC. But on the other hand thats a lot of money to fork over to basically do the same thing I can do right now.
This is exactly my feelings as well....
Side note if it's truly done correctly and stable on both sides (hardware and software)this is something never done before, to tie the stand alone and SW/daw/comp together in several ways....
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Im glad you corrected me l have no problem with that.

Even after l put ---->lol after what l said you are taking it serious. See how misinformed you are? You can't even take a joke.

A few pages back you are raging on Akai again like a jealous troll. You dont have to sell your Apollo 8 no one told you to sell nothing to get the X.
It seems to me you are acting like we are crazy for loving these machines. Some of us need it and we know what to do with it. People are happy and people are getting it. Don't try to make people feel bad cause they want it. Stop the nonsense and no lm not an internet thug.
C'mon fellas we was doing good!!!!!
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Out of curiosity, what would prevent you from finishing a track on the MPCX? Or rather why wouldn't you want to? I asked because if I got the Akai I would put my computer up in the closet. I don't have a lot of money tied up in my DAW with plugins or anything and basically just use it as a tape recorder so that's no big deal for me. From what I understand, can't you simply mix down a stereo track and then add ideas to that and keep building? It does have a linear recording flow too, correct?

Cheers
Old 10th January 2017
Gear Maniac

just my two cents...
i think most people working on mpc's have had a daw nearby almost always....hard not have a feeling that the converters on this thing are gonna be on the behringer/made in china side of the spectrum.
the kaoss pad thing and onboard effects kinda make me cringe too....theres a million amp simulations out there but only a few that sound really great...when you start trying to mix a bad amp simulation onto a song it can really suck...direct bass often need some decent multiband plugin work to sound good...im envisioning a horrible grunge power chord on top of a super clean trap beat...yuck...
most younger ppl making music really dont care if somethings standalone...were fully in the era of daw controllers, and push/machine etc are hard to beat.
not to mention abletons very refined timestretching....this thing better sound fat as can be or else theyre going to come really short moving them off the shelves.
my final thoughts are about how alot of modern productions with beats are often done with live drumming...being able to track at least 4 seperate channels of say drum mics and then edit/timestretch/beatmatch them is more common than ever...i wouldnt wanna bother using 2 inputs only if i got a daw that can handle a full band.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmean View Post
just my two cents...
i think most people working on mpc's have had a daw nearby almost always....hard not have a feeling that the converters on this thing are gonna be on the behringer/made in china side of the spectrum.
the kaoss pad thing and onboard effects kinda make me cringe too....theres a million amp simulations out there but only a few that sound really great...when you start trying to mix a bad amp simulation onto a song it can really suck...direct bass often need some decent multiband plugin work to sound good...im envisioning a horrible grunge power chord on top of a super clean trap beat...yuck...
most younger ppl making music really dont care if somethings standalone...were fully in the era of daw controllers, and push/machine etc are hard to beat.
not to mention abletons very refined timestretching....this thing better sound fat as can be or else theyre going to come really short moving them off the shelves.
my final thoughts are about how alot of modern productions with beats are often done with live drumming...being able to track at least 4 seperate channels of say drum mics and then edit/timestretch/beatmatch them is more common than ever...i wouldnt wanna bother using 2 inputs only if i got a daw that can handle a full band.
I understand all your points, and hope you're wrong about most. Man, if the converters don't sound magical and the initial sound isn't happening, NO way would I get the MPCX. I'm enjoying imagining a nice, compressed type of fat sound, the sound of pro converters being feed a great signal. Yea, that Kaoss pad thing sorta turned me off too, cheesy. I'm coming from a 16 in 16 out hybrid system built around a 24 channel analog board, hardware, running Cubase, so right, I've considered the 2 inputs as well. I imagined just summing drums with a mixer into the stereo Inputs, get that mix submix together, and just capturing. I don't record bands anymore, it's just my stuff now, so it's not a deal breaker really. For me it about the sampling and looping, and triggering the pads for arrangements. I'll play guitar over that, make it feel more organic, and then process sounds on the outputs.

I've considered Push2.... Quite a bit actually, it looks fantastic and very flexible, but I'd have to buy a new computer and interface to run it, my computer is old. The MPCX would cost about the same as a new setup, i see it as a cleaner focused system than a lot of DAW setups, something I can learn inside and out, and stick with it. Something simple, but effective. It would be the heart of my studio... So the machine needs to do what they claim it can, and sound BeAUtiful.
Cheers
Old 10th January 2017
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
Out of curiosity, what would prevent you from finishing a track on the MPCX? Or rather why wouldn't you want to? I asked because if I got the Akai I would put my computer up in the closet. I don't have a lot of money tied up in my DAW with plugins or anything and basically just use it as a tape recorder so that's no big deal for me. From what I understand, can't you simply mix down a stereo track and then add ideas to that and keep building? It does have a linear recording flow too, correct?

Cheers
It could be done but I just feel like my DAW is much better suited to the task. And much more mature than the mpc sw. And I'm invested in my DAW; not just money-wise but also time-wise and music-wise. And given that you need to use the mpc sw in order to use plugins (can't use plugins in standalone mode) I wouldn't be able to put my computer away. So I'm not even considering replacing my DAW with this.

For somebody who isn't invested in a DAW it would make a nice all-in-one solution. I'm just not looking at it that way right now.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Me either lm not getting rid of my DAWs at all
My main two focuses are:
1. Tight sequencing
2. Able to transfer my drum loops and melodies via USB to my PC then drag and drop my sounds into my daw for arrangements and mixing.

That MPCx is the hardware and strength of my drum setup. I have no desire to do to do entire tracks in it. I use to do to do that in the 2000XL.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
It could be done but I just feel like my DAW is much better suited to the task. And much more mature than the mpc sw. And I'm invested in my DAW; not just money-wise but also time-wise and music-wise. And given that you need to use the mpc sw in order to use plugins (can't use plugins in standalone mode) I wouldn't be able to put my computer away. So I'm not even considering replacing my DAW with this.

For somebody who isn't invested in a DAW it would make a nice all-in-one solution. I'm just not looking at it that way right now.
I understand, fair enough.

The one thing I MIght miss is the Isitope Mastering plug, it's the only plugin I use, the Light Tube Saturation and subtle compression on the Master Buss has been my thing. My recording template is setup with it on the master buss for everything, I leave it on and mix into it.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Vigilanti View Post
Can't wait to hear all the people complain about how it still doesn't sound like an MPC2000, or MPC3000 or what not.
Most Ren users didn't even want to go back to tracking out beats anyway when they could save time by simply keeping everything ITB, so it didn't even matter that AKAI tried to appease people like that when approaching the sound of the Ren hardware. I don't see why that would matter now with the MPC X, outside of the odd big mouth troll here and there.

Personally, what I expect for the money I'm spending is something pristine and clear sounding. Allow me to decide what I want to do with the sound sonically, rather than creatively degrading it for that "cool" factor.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmean View Post
just my two cents...
That is stuff that you would do in a true daw, I would hate to micro edit some live drums in ableton or FL and those are certified DAWs but that kinda job calls for PT,Logic,Cubase,etc.... Most people never really used the effects in the mpc, I don't see that changing...
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search