The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mpc X
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
It's like a few of us were saying from a year back. If Akai comes correct with their next standalone hybrid flagship MPC, they can take back the drum machine market and force everyone else who wants a piece to play catchup.

Akai knows their way around hardware. They just needed a few years to get the software portion of it right before going big with something like the MPC X.
That was so profound. But thats why I been patient. Dudes getting on me about it now look l have the last laugh.

Plus i just got a phone call that a RNB cat wants a track! Yo my joint already paid for! And l got extra dough! Im getting a Stetling mic plus lma look at one piece of hardware to connect to the X. I would never stray from MPC but if Akai would of umft up l would had no choice but to probably go and get the MPC Black. Now I don't have to :-)
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

This thread getting lots of love now.

Hope we don't start fighting with one another until release date.

Cheers

Last edited by nickknack; 9th January 2017 at 07:14 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
What's the VST/VSTi situation with the MPC X in standalone mode?

I'm guessing we would have to keep it tethered to our computer anytime we want to access that stuff?
There's no mention of vsts being on the standalone X or Live. The 2.0 will serve that purpose. Unless.........
Akai going to get slick and in like june say the have third party MPCx format for the X. They will just murder the game!

Its how third party companies rock with Propellerheads with Rack extensions.

A vsts thats coded for PC and Mac is not able to go into the standalone. Akai and third party companies have to recode for the X and Live.

But hell they might of done that already. Hell its not like l would argue with Aksi if they did lol Spectrasonics better be the first to jump aboard with O2 and Keyscape, oh my gawd!
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoc View Post
Yeah Smack that's a very big "BUT...." lol lmao

(Hes going to run in hete one day and say 'l got mines' dam ) lol

Know this you wont have to spend no mo dough for a drum machine for over ten years.
I'll tell u this tho, I won't be one of the first adopters(lab rat) I'm going to wait till all/most of the bugs are dealt with and for 2 racks it better be able to do all the ish they say it can do, meaning I want to be able to work stand alone then hook up to the software and drag and drop to my daw....
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
This thread getting lots of love now.

Hope we don't start fighting with one another until release date.

Cheers
Unless someone says,"sike DaN.O.C. the X aint coming out" then lma stab all yall with my
o[]xxxxx[];;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;> dagger lol

You see what the MPCx love has done? People are happy.

I got a feeling boombap comin back
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smack Dammit View Post
I'll tell u this tho, I won't be one of the first adopters(lab rat) I'm going to wait till all/most of the bugs are dealt with and for 2 racks it better be able to do all the ish they say it can do, meaning I want to be able to work stand alone then hook up to the software and drag and drop to my daw....
Now thsts where the bugs will be in the software which l don't care for. Probably not in the standalone. Only thing would be that screen thats what l worry about. Thats why l wish they would of put DVI or HDMI port on the back.
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

I've got a few question about MPC's and maybe you folks can help me because I'm on board for the MPCX if it's magic.

Effects. Do you use the outputs on the back for using hardware effect units and then route that back into a track, or is there effects sends?
Tempo. Can you speed up and slow down songs without effecting the pitch?
What's the longest length you can make a loop?
How about linear recording? Can you use the MPC for recording a basic 4 minute song strait without using loops? And how many tracks do you get, 16?
What about velocity? Can you assign more than one sound to a pad and trigger it by velocity?
If the MPCX does have 6 outputs, could I mix out through a mixer and return that stereo track back to the machine as my mixdown?
That's I all I can think of now.

I figured y'all would know most of these answers, I've got a Roland SP404 I use for some stuff but it's a much simpler machine. I use loop pedals to create a lot of my music, but I'm trying to figure out what exactly the MPCX can and can't do for me.

Cheers!
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
At least we know it can't be any worse than the 1.0 fiasco.

All Akai has to do is make sure they don't break how stable 1.9.x was. If someone gave me the MPC X with 1.9 right now I would gladly use it lol. The hardware itself is going to be off the chain. The 2.0 software is going to be the strawberry topping on that cheesecake.
Old 9th January 2017
Hoping that the reference to an external drive means that there is a user-installable bay within the chassis to install a drive. Some pictures of the Live showed what looked like a panel at the bottom that could be for drive installation. Just being picky though. I'd rather install a drive than carry one around.

If NAMM looks tight I'll definitely get one.
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Now thsts where the bugs will be in the software which l don't care for. Probably not in the standalone. Only thing would be that screen thats what l worry about. Thats why l wish they would of put DVI or HDMI port on the back.
The last stand alone Mpc was the 5000 if I recall and do you remember that fiasco? It was bugged and unfinished which prompted the whole Just Blaze rant!!!!! Akai did address most bugs and add the features they had promised(there is a YouTube vid about this somewhere).. I do think the hardware is running the same SW as the Mpc software, very interested to see how they implement audio tracks and how that works with the sequencer... I had the Mpc studio black for a while(sold it to fund Push 2) and if the Hardware can do exactly what the SW could do then you are in for a real treat, the SW at 1.9 was bad a** just felt like it was overlap with ableton!!!!! That oled 10 inch screen is more than enough for me, wanna put mine on the opposite side of my comp/desk, just the Mpc X and some headphones...... Come to think of it,if they implement the audio tracks right, the X with something like an blown out Roland 5080 or Integra 7 can be a real one stop shop... Then drop into daw and spit shine with things like, waves, slate and softsynth's OMG!!! If they do it right it could be a grand slam....
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
At least we know it can't be any worse than the 1.0 fiasco.

All Akai has to do is make sure they don't break how stable 1.9.x was. If someone gave me the MPC X with 1.9 right now I would gladly use it lol. The hardware itself is going to be off the chain. The 2.0 software is going to be the strawberry topping on that cheesecake.
Totally agree......
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

One thing I don't want to do is drag and drop to any DAW although I do have a few.

I think this will defeat the purpose.

I think a DAW is for getting microscopic and then we will tend to line up waveforms and ****.

Last time I had my Ren I midi tracked out to my mates studio and recorded a vocal and did the mix with his MCI 500 and outboard.

This time around with V2 software I wanna be able to do the following workflow.

Record midi and audio to the X and then use some nice outboard from the X outputs straight to a master recorder like my Denon or perhaps the Tascam DA-3000.

The only trip I need to make to a studio is for the Vox.

Maschine will eventually have audio tracks and this makes them both DAW like anyway. No more round trips for me.

Cheers
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Gotta also agree that 1.9.3 was pretty stable so hopefully the addition of audio tracks is the bees knees.

Cheers
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
I've got a few question about MPC's and maybe you folks can help me because I'm on board for the MPCX if it's magic.

1. Effects. Do you use the outputs on the back for using hardware effect units and then route that back into a track, or is there effects sends?

2. Tempo. Can you speed up and slow down songs without effecting the pitch?

3. What's the longest length you can make a loop?

4. How about linear recording? Can you use the MPC for recording a basic 4 minute song strait without using loops?

5. And how many tracks do you get, 16?

6. What about velocity? Can you assign more than one sound to a pad and trigger it by velocity?

7. If the MPCX does have 6 outputs, could I mix out through a mixer and return that stereo track back to the machine as my mixdown?
That's I all I can think of now.

I figured y'all would know most of these answers, I've got a Roland SP404 I use for some stuff but it's a much simpler machine. I use loop pedals to create a lot of my music, but I'm trying to figure out what exactly the MPCX can and can't do for me.

Cheers!
1. I really don't comprehend this question.
2. From the past MPCs when you turn up the tempo it would effect the pitch probably so on this being its a standalone.
3. On the standalone MPC its called measurements and you can set it up to be very long.
4. It depends how much memory the MPCx has to do this. On the MPCx internal memory is 16 gigs and 10 gigs has dounds on it. So you might be able to do it.
5. On the 2000XL it was 999 tracks i believe. On the X it could be more or the same l dont see Akai lowering the tracks.
6. Dont comprehend that question.
7. If it does have 6 outs you can track out. To come back into the MPCx you would have sample the stereo back into the MPCx unless it has two TRS inputs.

We have seen only a few specs of the MPCx do you'll have to wait and see.

Last edited by danoc; 9th January 2017 at 04:53 PM..
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

I have seen a few of you boys over on MPC forums.

For those of you that aren't Sweetwater have already got up there X page with pricing, pix and other info.

Cheers
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Danoc

That 16 GB is expandable by the way.

Cheers

Last edited by nickknack; 9th January 2017 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The last stand alone Mpc was the 5000 if I recall and do you remember that fiasco? It was bugged and unfinished which prompted the whole Just Blaze rant!!!!! Akai did address most bugs and add the features they had promised(there is a YouTube vid about this somewhere).. I do think the hardware is running the same SW as the Mpc software, very interested to see how they implement audio tracks and how that works with the sequencer... I had the Mpc studio black for a while(sold it to fund Push 2) and if the Hardware can do exactly what the SW could do then you are in for a real treat, the SW at 1.9 was bad a** just felt like it was overlap with ableton!!!!! That oled 10 inch screen is more than enough for me, wanna put mine on the opposite side of my comp/desk, just the Mpc X and some headphones...... Come to think of it,if they implement the audio tracks right, the X with something like an blown out Roland 5080 or Integra 7 can be a real one stop shop... Then drop into daw and spit shine with things like, waves, slate and softsynth's OMG!!! If they do it right it could be a grand slam....
Yep l remember that 5000 mess up like it was yesterday. From the MPC 60 to the 4000 how many were messed up like the 5000? 2000 had screen problems that's about it. I believe Akai got it right. They didn't rush they been working on this for over a year or two. Im liking that screen lm use to the huge screen now. Tilt up was the way to go.
Hell l would get the 3080 Roland those Celtic harps are my fav. Drop those on a pad and tap in the melodies. ..oh my lm having a MPCx wet digital dream lol
Smack l gotta leave you alone you ain't nothing but trouble lol
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Danoc

That 16 GB is expandable by the way.

Cheers
Foreal? That's dope. So what you do take out their internal drive and add your own?
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

For those of you that aren't Sweetwater have already got up there X page with pricing, pix and other info.

Cheers
Im waiting for American Music Supply AMS to put it up on their site. I like to shop from there.
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Correct.

Even SD card can go up to 256 GB I think.

Cheers
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
One thing I don't want to do is drag and drop to any DAW although I do have a few.

I think this will defeat the purpose.

I think a DAW is for getting microscopic and then we will tend to line up waveforms and ****.

Last time I had my Ren I midi tracked out to my mates studio and recorded a vocal and did the mix with his MCI 500 and outboard.

This time around with V2 software I wanna be able to do the following workflow.

Record midi and audio to the X and then use some nice outboard from the X outputs straight to a master recorder like my Denon or perhaps the Tascam DA-3000.

The only trip I need to make to a studio is for the Vox.

Maschine will eventually have audio tracks and this makes them both DAW like anyway. No more round trips for me.

Cheers
Yeah that sounds like tracking out to me and that's what I definitely don't want! Will be much easier to edit and arrange tracks in daw by way of drag and drop..... Whatever floats your boat tho and it's good we have all these great tools now days...
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Correct.

Even SD card can go up to 256 GB I think.

Cheers
Thats dope you can put an internal drive in it. SSD for me. I just ordered 4 Hard drives two are SSD.
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Cheers
Yeah after looking and reading that Sweetwater ad my Push 2 is looking at me a little jealous,had to tell her I still love her lol.....
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

SSd or Hdd goes into 2.5 inch bay under unit.

Add another 2-300 USd for a 1-2 TB drive.

Enough to keep you going for a while.

Cheers
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thats dope you can put an internal drive in it. SSD for me. I just ordered 4 Hard drives two are SSD.
Yeah it is and I'm very interested in the new time stretch algo's as well, this is the one area where I feel the Mpc was always lacking.
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Wait for the announcement from Rossum Electro.

The godfather of samplers is gonna give you the modular Assimi8or.

Interesting to see what this can do .

He is at Namm 2017.

Lots more interesting stuff this weekend.

Cheers
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Aldred I see you ova there in the MPC forum.
spread the word
Old 9th January 2017
Quote:

Cheers
I was wondering about this. The description calls it an "external" drive. I thought it would be user-installable under the unit too. I'm hoping that's what they mean by "external". I've always called something like that "internal", as in, "inside the unit". I remember the pictures of the Live showing a panel underneath for a drive. Hoping that spec didn't change!
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Cheers
Dont forget to say SATA 2.5 and.not IDEE. Caude they will be piss lol
The day of the ribbon is gone

For the external 3.0 I will use hot swapple dock and l can easily swap hard drives on the fly
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah after looking and reading that Sweetwater ad my Push 2 is looking at me a little jealous,had to tell her I still love her lol.....
Awwwwwh fam you talkin to the machine now? lol hahaa
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search