The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What was the best things you bought in 2016? Studio Monitors
Old 11th January 2017
  #121
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Degree View Post
Upgrading from Reason 7 to Reason 9. Reason 8 was a very unimpressive upgrade, and I am glad I skipped one (first time I have skipped a Reason upgrade) but the combination of the two upgrades was really inspiring. I won't say it's the best upgrade they have offered (I have had Reason since 2.0) but I now feel very much "unlimited" with this program, with some nice features that may exist in other software, maybe not, but as always, Reason waited until it's perfect. Even something like sequencing your hardware and recording a loop is so easy and seamless, especially not having to sync, etc.

Adding back my ASR 10/Building in my "desk". I moved out of the East Bay suburbs from a single family home that had a really dialed in spot to working essentially in my kitchen in Oakland (would be the best purchase I made this year but was last year). Major downsizing to say the least. I didn't move last year but it took me awhile to set up my spot. Though very "a typical", it has become more comfortable than I imagined and as useful as most spots much bigger, just lacks proper monitoring (not speakers, just speaker placement, treatment, etc). I get by on headphones right now, work flow is good for me otherwise.

Amazon for speaker/monitor/TV mounts. I swear, my friends paid like $200+ for the same stuff I bought for $20. Off brand but exactly the same. Anything with a screen is super adjustable and the speaker mounts (wall mount) are something I would have thought I would spend a fortune on but were really affordable, very adjustable, and have no issue with my active Dynaudio BM5a's. They are not overly heavy but most are for passive speakers.

Not super exciting but to get rid of 2/3 of your gear, in an odd space, coming from a spot where everything was amazing, I am happy.

My goals for 2017:
-Analog or analog modeling synth (Korg MS20 reissue, Microkorg XL, or Monologue are on my list, but maybe a cheaper Moog)
-Second Profire 2626. I love this thing for $600 new, don't mind another for $100-150 used, just need to cop one, or two
-Putting my console back into the equation, and possibly building a small synth wall
-Getting a solid project out. I love the professional work I have done over the years but I miss working with someone who is hungry and talented who has yet to make it. I got a few cats in mind but 2 I think I could really do something amazing with.
-New windows, doors, and insulation.

Sorry, my gear lust isn't strong right now, I probably knew I had the tools I needed 6-7 years ago, still expanded but kept to the core things I really use. I doubt I will do a major upgrade unless we buy another new home with a lot more space, or I rent out a spot (the first has to happen before the second), then totally different game.
Goid joint 3rd.
Old 11th January 2017
  #122
Gear Addict
 
jayfield's Avatar
 

The 88 Yamaha Montage. I have retired 90% of my sample libraries except for Omnisphere, Trillian and Cinematic Strings. The stereo outs are warm, fat and super clean. I deleted 7 piano libraries off my external hard drives as the Montage samples are just that good. There is indeed something to be said for a company developing both the keyboard hardware and software from a playability factor. I started buying pro boards in the 70's. This board has been rocking my world now since May 2016. Absolutely wonderful to play!
Old 11th January 2017
  #123
Gear Addict
 

Ill mind double platinum bundle....how did I sleep on this for so long
Old 11th January 2017
  #124
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfield View Post
The 88 Yamaha Montage. I have retired 90% of my sample libraries except for Omnisphere, Trillian and Cinematic Strings. The stereo outs are warm, fat and super clean. I deleted 7 piano libraries off my external hard drives as the Montage samples are just that good. There is indeed something to be said for a company developing both the keyboard hardware and software from a playability factor. I started buying pro boards in the 70's. This board has been rocking my world now since May 2016. Absolutely wonderful to play!
Yes sir Omnisphere 2 is the business. Yea you have some goodies.
Old 11th January 2017
  #125
Lives for gear
 
Fanu's Avatar
27" iMac, Audeze LCD-X headphones, and UAD Apollo 8 Quad with all plugins.
Soothe plugin by oeksound was one of those that really made a difference; love it in mastering, too.
SP 1200 and MPC 60.

2016 was good.
Old 11th January 2017
  #126
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanu View Post
27" iMac, Audeze LCD-X headphones, and UAD Apollo 8 Quad with all plugins.
Soothe plugin by oeksound was one of those that really made a difference; love it in mastering, too.
SP 1200 and MPC 60.

2016 was good.
The crunch monster MPC 60: -) they still go a heafty price and the 3000 used. Dammmmm
Old 11th January 2017
  #127
Lives for gear
 
Fanu's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by danoc View Post
The crunch monster MPC 60: -) they still go a heafty price and the 3000 used. Dammmmm
Yeah. Was eyeing on 3Ks all year, but their price is creeping up. Even Noah 40 seems to be using one now, so those prices ain't going down.
Got pretty decent deals on my SP and the 60 so couldn't pass up.
Old 12th January 2017
  #128
Devil Technologies - DTouch for Pro Tools 12. Purchased the recommended Acer T272HL 27" TouchScreen Monitor.

Yamaha Montage 61. When I first got it, I wasn't impressed. It seemed like a re-badged Motif. Was I in for a surprise. Touchscreen, blends sounds with other sounds. It's a dream for gigs and church.

API A2D

Mytek Stereo96DAC
Old 12th January 2017
  #129
Lives for gear
 
3rd Degree's Avatar
 

One thing I forgot, SSD's. I know they are far from new but they became very affordable in 2016. Such a good investment. My studio computer takes less resources and is a bit more snappy. My hand me down laptop from my wife (dual core, 2010ish) went from struggling to browse the net to something I can use all day, do audio with as a scratch pad (still trying to find a compatible ram upgrade, it's being very picky even though it can take 8 gigs), and is a very surprising upgrade on a not so up to date machine. Both run cooler, quieter, and my laptop has considerably more battery life (where a 7200 RPM HD does the opposite). I know it isn't the most fun topic, as my last post wasn't either, but super good upgrade, worth every penny now that you don't have to pay the value of your computer for a decent size, and I have only felt they do good things. I don't foresee myself ever going back to a traditional HD for executable files, even if I need to go big and expensive, it is worth it, even with budget oriented options.
Old 12th January 2017
  #130
Lives for gear
 

In the midst of everything, I did get a few goodies for 2016 for Reason. I got some good treats, I got the exact sounds from the Virus Ti Polar, exact sounds from the 2080 etc and the people who made them did some cool back drops as eye candy and I love it, and they sound dope. and I get to modify them and make them sound crazy.

1. Motif ES & SX & XF I just didn't show those.
2. Roland 2080 sound module
3. Korg Triton Rack, and I had that in hardware and I love that thing and yes all the sounds in the reason refill are there because I checked and it sounds exactly like it. What I love about this I bought this years ago and I can't find the people who made it and it was $20 bucks off Ebay. All these was ridiculously cheap. In this Korg Triton rack you can set up, up to 14 multi timbrel sub modules of the NN19 and put different sounds in them to mix and match and it's incredible. I love this thing and its starting to get use.
I bring the Virus Ti sounds into a few modules and it sounds CRAZY!
I had it for years, and I made 3 copies in case one gets messed up and I will probably do 2 more copies.
4. Roland JP8000 has some dope sounds, Amazound made this and the 2080 it's crazy.
5. I even made my own module :-)

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
Old 12th January 2017
  #131
Lives for gear
 

pcm70 and oto bam (wow)
Old 12th January 2017
  #132
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanu View Post
Yeah. Was eyeing on 3Ks all year, but their price is creeping up. Even Noah 40 seems to be using one now, so those prices ain't going down.
Got pretty decent deals on my SP and the 60 so couldn't pass up.
Hell I been watching those prices on the 3,000 since 2001 LOL and they aren't going down just like you said and its 2017 wtf! lol Now that's a machine that don't depreciate!

The highest MPC 60/2 is freaking 1,899 in mint condition from Armens in New York I know him personally. dammmmmm

MPC 3000 Le is 2,899 WTF lol man great lords of the machine gods lol
Old 13th January 2017
  #133
Here for the gear
 

Elektron analog heat
Roland dj 808
Tal sampler
Old 17th January 2017
  #134
Lives for gear
 

1) Amphion One15 monitors with an Adcom gfa 545 mk1 amp modded by Jim Williams (AMAZING mix setup). <= I made a typo on this earlier oops.

2) Maschine Jam (Absolutely phenomenal for getting ideas out)

3) Sennheiser Hd800 w/ a Schiit Valhalla 2 tube amp (Sennheiser released the Hd800s but I still love these, may get the Focal utopia this year).

4) Pioneer Xdj-rx

5) Pair of Yamaha Hs8 to connect specifically to the Xdj-rx.

6) Slate everything bundle

7) Another Uad Octo

8) Omnisphere 2

9) Tons of plugins (waves, ua, etc.)

10) Slate Vms mic system (after using a c800g for a couple years and being VERY familiar with. C12 we used to record a certain pop star'a last album, this mic is the real deal).

*im sure there's more honestly lol

** A second Kontrol s keyboard.. hmm... I'm sure I'll remember more lol

Old 17th January 2017
  #135
Gear Head
 

Grabbed that pioneer toraiz
Old 17th January 2017
  #136
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
1) Amphion One15 monitors with an Adcom gfa 545 mk2 amp (AMAZING mix setup).

2) Maschine Jam (Absolutely phenomenal for getting ideas out)

3) Sennheiser Hd800 w/ a Schiit Valhalla 2 tube amp (Sennheiser released the Hd800s but I still love these, may get the Focal utopia this year).

4) Pioneer Xdj-rx

5) Pair of Yamaha Hs8 to connect specifically to the Xdj-rx.

6) Slate everything bundle

7) Another Uad Octo

8) Omnisphere 2

9) Tons of plugins (waves, ua, etc.)

10) Slate Vms mic system (after using a c800g for a couple years and being VERY familiar with. C12 we used to record a certain pop star'a last album, this mic is the real deal).

*im sure there's more honestly lol

** A second Kontrol s keyboard.. hmm... I'm sure I'll remember more lol

Damn bruh you been busy. I also picked up maschine jam I forgot to mention that and have been using it in fruity loops the past week or so.
Old 17th January 2017
  #137
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
1) Amphion One15 monitors with an Adcom gfa 545 mk2 amp (AMAZING mix setup).

2) Maschine Jam (Absolutely phenomenal for getting ideas out)

3) Sennheiser Hd800 w/ a Schiit Valhalla 2 tube amp (Sennheiser released the Hd800s but I still love these, may get the Focal utopia this year).

4) Pioneer Xdj-rx

5) Pair of Yamaha Hs8 to connect specifically to the Xdj-rx.

6) Slate everything bundle

7) Another Uad Octo

8) Omnisphere 2

9) Tons of plugins (waves, ua, etc.)

10) Slate Vms mic system (after using a c800g for a couple years and being VERY familiar with. C12 we used to record a certain pop star'a last album, this mic is the real deal).

*im sure there's more honestly lol

** A second Kontrol s keyboard.. hmm... I'm sure I'll remember more lol

How is that slate virtual mic system by the way?
Old 17th January 2017
  #138
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ville101 View Post
How is that slate virtual mic system by the way?
You won't be disappointed at all! I used a c800g exclusively at one studio and we had a room at another studio to where we used a Blue bottle (and all the capsules), a Manley ref c and a c12 (vintage).. the Slate easily can go head to head with any of them.
Old 17th January 2017
  #139
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
You won't be disappointed at all! I used a c800g exclusively at one studio and we had a room at another studio to where we used a Blue bottle (and all the capsules), a Manley ref c and a c1/ (vintage).. the Slate easily can go head to head with any of them.
Damn imma have to read up on that. Slate makes pretty good plugs I been using the virtual tape machine heavy the past few years.
Old 17th January 2017
  #140
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ville101 View Post
Damn bruh you been busy. I also picked up maschine jam I forgot to mention that and have been using it in fruity loops the past week or so.
Haha yea kinda. #Gearslut

Ps: Maschine Jam is the truth! I use it more than my Maschine studio (hand to God)
Old 17th January 2017
  #141
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
Haha yea kinda. #Gearslut

Ps: Maschine Jam is the truth! I use it more than my Maschine studio (hand to God)
Yea it is dope man. I downloaded the fruity loops template and so far so good. I got mine for 350 at zzounds. For the price I think it's the best value on the market. All the content and ni even threw some extras expansions my way.
Old 17th January 2017
  #142
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ville101 View Post
Yea it is dope man. I downloaded the fruity loops template and so far so good. I got mine for 350 at zzounds. For the price I think it's the best value on the market. All the content and ni even threw some extras expansions my way.
Yea man, I got two free expansions when I got mine too. I'm curious about the mpc expansions cause the NI expansions are sick
Old 18th January 2017
  #143
Gear Head
For me it was a Shure SM7b.
Old 21st January 2017
  #144
Gear Maniac
 

I picked up a cheap accoustic guitar, and am loving much more than trying to use a vst for accoustic guitar.
Old 24th January 2017
  #145
Lives for gear
Didnt get to buy anything in 2016, was too busy partying. Ok cept for two.pocket operators.
But tomorrow im.picking up the yamaha reface cs.

Cant wait. I was lookin at monologue demos and i didnt like how metallic it sounded so i went back to the cs. Much sweeter character imo.
Old 25th January 2017
  #146
Lives for gear
 
parkay909's Avatar
I bought a roll of Reynolds aluminium foil and made a little tin foil hat from it.

I also got slate trigger...
Old 2nd February 2017
  #147
Deleted User
Guest
Ableton. Needed a fresh perspective on how to write music and it's done just that.
Old 21st February 2017
  #148
PDM
Here for the gear
 

Shure SM7B
Focusrite Clarett 2Pre
Logic Pro X
Strymon BigSky
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump