The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What was the best things you bought in 2016? Studio Monitors
Old 4th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennicio View Post
Bought a Maschine mk2. Had been on Reason with an mpd for many years and was becoming less and less inspired. Maschine isn't perfect but it's sparked my enthusiasm again.

Also ditched all my pirated plugs and bought the soundtoys bundle and slate everything.

2017 I aim for a new interface and mic.
I like the look of the MKII but can't mess with it.

I love Reason 9 and Studio One 3 the deadly combo!

Thumbs up for getting rid of the pirated stuff.
Old 4th January 2017
Gear Head
In 2016 it was:

An Tascam M308 mixer, Junost 21 [a soviet synth] and a Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre interface...
Old 4th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olskool Bwoy View Post
In 2016 it was:

An Tascam M308 mixer, Junost 21 [a soviet synth] and a Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre interface...

Man every time I think I have heard of all the synths someone pops up with a new one I haven't heard of LOL
Old 4th January 2017
Lives for gear

**** DW Fearn VT-1, ADL 600, C24, MPC 5000, Roland system 8, and Reloop gold 7000 table. Its been a busy year
Old 5th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
****ADL 600, C24, MPC 5000, Roland system 8, and Reloop gold 7000 table.
The ADL600 and ADL700 are very good items to have in the rack. I like how they sound and have no compromise on them at all.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drethe5th View Post
The ADL600 and ADL700 are very good items to have in the rack. I like how they sound and have no compromise on them at all.
Dre, have you thought about retubing ur unit? Im planning on putting some siemens ECC801/S tubes on the front stage and some telefunken 6922 tubes in the back stages. I know what the siemens sound like but the teles are supposed to give you that extra extra clarity. Just gotta get over this christmas funk(debt) i put myself in.
Old 5th January 2017
Quote:
Dre, have you thought about retubing ur unit?
I do not own the unit. A guy I work with frequently has it and I am totally satisfied with everything weve dont with it. Ive used the Avalon 737, Blue Robbie, Sound Craft Delta, Sound Craft Ghost, Focusrite Red, and a number of UA Hardware ch strips and preamps..... I can honestly say that I prefer to go with the ADL in most cases.

Yes, he did switch out the Tubes. I can not exactly tell how much of a difference it makes since he did it a few years ago after he got it.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drethe5th View Post
I do not own the unit. A guy I work with frequently has it and I am totally satisfied with everything weve dont with it. Ive used the Avalon 737, Blue Robbie, Sound Craft Delta, Sound Craft Ghost, Focusrite Red, and a number of UA Hardware ch strips and preamps..... I can honestly say that I prefer to go with the ADL in most cases.

Yes, he did switch out the Tubes. I can not exactly tell how much of a difference it makes since he did it a few years ago after he got it.
Soundcraft delta........... I got one from the dude who made the song dont you forget about me from the breakfast club in mint condition that is my long term project. Gonna have Jim Williams mod it completely and get a blue dog power supply for it. I just dont know what DA im gonna use with it.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

2016 was expensive but the major stuff:

Thermionic Culture Phoenix HG15 (simply immaculate)
Blue Mic Kiwi (no complaints)
Moog Sub 37 (most underrated mono synth ever)
Omnishpere 2 (still yet to really use this)
Old 5th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Man 2016 this was a preparation year. Let's see:
1. Telefunken CU-29 Copperhead
2. Antelope Zen Tour
3. Manley Core channel strip
4. Pesonus Sceptre 8's w/ Temblor 10 sub
5. Presonus S1 & Faderport 8
6. Slate Digital Bundle
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2toxic View Post
2016 was expensive but the major stuff:

Thermionic Culture Phoenix HG15 (simply immaculate)
Blue Mic Kiwi (no complaints)
Moog Sub 37 (most underrated mono synth ever)
Omnishpere 2 (still yet to really use this)
You have a nice list. Thst O2 man you need to crack that open and go nuts. LOL man i got it blown out with sounds pass 20,000 sounds. Third party patches are dope for it. I got all on plugin guru stuff for it. I love it.
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMS731 View Post
Man 2016 this was a preparation year. Let's see:
1. Telefunken CU-29 Copperhead
2. Antelope Zen Tour
3. Manley Core channel strip
4. Pesonus Sceptre 8's w/ Temblor 10 sub
5. Presonus S1 & Faderport 8
6. Slate Digital Bundle
Another great list. I hsve S1-3. Dang you jumprd out the window snd got Fader Port 8? How is it?
I wss gping to get it but im on hold. Q-Con has one called ICon and it has 9 faders and a freakin meter bridge on it and you can and extensions up to 32 tracks. Man its killing Presonus on this one.
Old 6th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoc View Post
Another great list. I hsve S1-3. Dang you jumprd out the window snd got Fader Port 8? How is it?
I wss gping to get it but im on hold. Q-Con has one called ICon and it has 9 faders and a freakin meter bridge on it and you can and extensions up to 32 tracks. Man its killing Presonus on this one.
Yeah man..Thanks!
The Faderport 8 is my first move into the controller world. Price was right. Figured if I didn't jive with it could unload it easily.But, it's not leaving my studio. It's integration with S1 is so tight and thorugh. Really am using the mouse less and less.
Looked at the Q-Con, definitely a nice piece. Just wasn't ready to spend that without knowing for sure I could vibe with it.
Plus, who knows, Presonus is a smart company, expansions could be in the works.
Old 6th January 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
I like the look of the MKII but can't mess with it.

I love Reason 9 and Studio One 3 the deadly combo!

Thumbs up for getting rid of the pirated stuff.
I was mainly using Kong, mpc style, so the jump over to Maschine was an easy one for me, it kind of does every thing I wished i could do with kong/mpd.

And yeah, it's a good feeling going legit with the plugins, I didn't realise how much crap I had that I never used. Now I'm down to these 2 bundles and a small handful of freebies and I don't need anything else.
Old 6th January 2017
It's a small purchase but my GZ67fet kicks serious azz in my lil studio . O yeah Studio One 3 upgrade and Ni Kontrol S61.
Old 7th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMS731 View Post
Yeah man..Thanks!
The Faderport 8 is my first move into the controller world. Price was right. Figured if I didn't jive with it could unload it easily.But, it's not leaving my studio. It's integration with S1 is so tight and thorugh. Really am using the mouse less and less.
Looked at the Q-Con, definitely a nice piece. Just wasn't ready to spend that without knowing for sure I could vibe with it.
Plus, who knows, Presonus is a smart company, expansions could be in the works.
Hey if its tight for S1 keep it. That ICon might not be tight for S1 but if it were id get that and be done with it. I wouldnt need the extra boards that you can buy.
Did you see on your Fader Port any inputs for extensions?
Old 7th January 2017
Gear Addict

Fender Rhodes (dream came true)
Slate VMS
Subpac m2 (can't live without anymore and a great attraction in the studio everybody's asking about)
Faderport 8 (now my workflow with Studio One is perfect)
What I'll get in 2017: nothing. Just make more money with stuffs above
Old 7th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooohhh2 View Post
Fender Rhodes (dream came true)
Slate VMS
Subpac m2 (can't live without anymore and a great attraction in the studio everybody's asking about)
Faderport 8 (now my workflow with Studio One is perfect)
What I'll get in 2017: nothing. Just make more money with stuffs above
Dand you got the fader port 8? Hearing nothing but goodness about that thing.
Old 7th January 2017
Lives for gear

If i had studio one i would definitely get the CS18AI
Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
If i had studio one i would definitely get the CS18AI
You would? That's a good choice cause that thang is a beast! Presonus is on top of their game. That's why I got S1 I love this program. Its so easy to use.
Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear

List for 2017 is.

1.MPCx
2. Izotope Vocal Synth
3. Fader Port 8 or QCon
4. Sterling Audio T69 or ST51 or S-50 mic.
5. Harp sw program ?

So my list is not that extensive. Once I get that MPCX its ova!
Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
List for 2017 is.

1.MPCx
2. Izotope Vocal Synth
3. Fader Port 8 or QCon
4. Sterling Audio T69 or ST51 or S-50 mic.
5. Harp sw program ?

So my list is not that extensive. Once I get that MPCX its ova!
Weird cuz i just used a harp in place of a piano for this track im doing.
Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Weird cuz i just used a harp in place of a piano for this track im doing.
lol dang.
Im looking at Elysium Harps over Eastwwest harps they are off the chain. One time i may put my computer online.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Zen Tour! - functionality, form factor, quality, workflow enhancement.

CU29! - Didnt expect it to be so solid for rap performancesPicks up lots of intricate details, vocals have more depth and width once processed for sure!

K49 - Dope!

Game changers for me personally!
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Oh I almost forgot I gotta get Keyscape once I get that I won't need another piano in my life!!!!!!!
Old 11th January 2017
Gear Maniac

I brought a lot of gear this past year but the 2 best things I brought was my Yamaha hs5 and upgraded my studio one from artist to pro 3.0 I don't even open pro tools anymore lol!!

I am looking to buy some more mics and a couple of hardware pieces as needed (and wanted lol)
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicitybeats View Post
I brought a l NJot of gear this past year but the 2 best things I brought was my Yamaha hs5 and upgraded my studio one from artist to pro 3.0 I don't even open pro tools anymore lol!!

I am looking to buy some more mics and a couple of hardware pieces as needed (and wanted lol)
lol one you get into S1 Protools seems weak lol
Did you upgrade your S1 to version 3.3.2? I love it.
Old 11th January 2017
Gear Maniac

I just did another update its whatever the most current one is
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicitybeats View Post
I just did another update its whatever the most current one is
Ok so you have now 3.3.2.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Upgrading from Reason 7 to Reason 9. Reason 8 was a very unimpressive upgrade, and I am glad I skipped one (first time I have skipped a Reason upgrade) but the combination of the two upgrades was really inspiring. I won't say it's the best upgrade they have offered (I have had Reason since 2.0) but I now feel very much "unlimited" with this program, with some nice features that may exist in other software, maybe not, but as always, Reason waited until it's perfect. Even something like sequencing your hardware and recording a loop is so easy and seamless, especially not having to sync, etc.

Adding back my ASR 10/Building in my "desk". I moved out of the East Bay suburbs from a single family home that had a really dialed in spot to working essentially in my kitchen in Oakland (would be the best purchase I made this year but was last year). Major downsizing to say the least. I didn't move last year but it took me awhile to set up my spot. Though very "a typical", it has become more comfortable than I imagined and as useful as most spots much bigger, just lacks proper monitoring (not speakers, just speaker placement, treatment, etc). I get by on headphones right now, work flow is good for me otherwise.

Amazon for speaker/monitor/TV mounts. I swear, my friends paid like $200+ for the same stuff I bought for $20. Off brand but exactly the same. Anything with a screen is super adjustable and the speaker mounts (wall mount) are something I would have thought I would spend a fortune on but were really affordable, very adjustable, and have no issue with my active Dynaudio BM5a's. They are not overly heavy but most are for passive speakers.

Not super exciting but to get rid of 2/3 of your gear, in an odd space, coming from a spot where everything was amazing, I am happy.

My goals for 2017:
-Analog or analog modeling synth (Korg MS20 reissue, Microkorg XL, or Monologue are on my list, but maybe a cheaper Moog)
-Second Profire 2626. I love this thing for $600 new, don't mind another for $100-150 used, just need to cop one, or two
-Putting my console back into the equation, and possibly building a small synth wall
-Getting a solid project out. I love the professional work I have done over the years but I miss working with someone who is hungry and talented who has yet to make it. I got a few cats in mind but 2 I think I could really do something amazing with.
-New windows, doors, and insulation.

Sorry, my gear lust isn't strong right now, I probably knew I had the tools I needed 6-7 years ago, still expanded but kept to the core things I really use. I doubt I will do a major upgrade unless we buy another new home with a lot more space, or I rent out a spot (the first has to happen before the second), then totally different game.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search