The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best rap / hip hop equipment Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 20th December 2016
Best rap / hip hop equipment

This is a thread compiling everybodys favorites. When it comes to mics, preamps, compressors, plugins, beatmaking, daw of choice, Etc. For rap / hip hop / rnb genres. For production, recording, mixing and mastering. What do you normally use, or prefer and why. Some are beatmakers, some are engineers, some do it all. Only fill out what applies.

Fill out like this (your top 3-5, that you either own, use or would prefer to use)

Mics:
Pres:
Compressors:
Eqs:
Other Hardware / Outboard / Mixing Boards:
Interface / Converters:
Mixing Plugins:
Mastering Plugins:
Mastering Hardware (if applicable):
Beatmaking (hardware and / or software) (if applicable):
Daw of choice (if applicable):
Main duty (producer, mixer, mastering, diy recording, rapper, singer etc):
Main Musical Style (boombap, trap, 90s rnb etc):
Main Musical Influences:
Favorite piece of gear (up to 3) and why (why is optional):
Dream Gear:
Old 21st December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangking View Post
This is a thread compiling everybodys favorites. When it comes to mics, preamps, compressors, plugins, beatmaking, daw of choice, Etc. For rap / hip hop / rnb genres. For production, recording, mixing and mastering. What do you normally use, or prefer and why. Some are beatmakers, some are engineers, some do it all. Only fill out what applies.

Fill out like this

Mics:
Pres:
Compressors:
Eqs:
Other Hardware / Outboard:
Mixing Plugins:
Mastering Plugins:
Beatmaking (hardware and / or software) (if applicable):
Daw of choice (if applicable):
Main duty (producer, mixer, mastering, diy recording, rapper, singer etc):
Mics: AT4050 condenser mic & Samson R21S
Pres: N/A
Compressors: SSL 9000 k
Eqs: SSL 9000 k
Mixing Plugins: Studio 1 Native & Reason 9
Mastering Plugins: Studio One 3 native
Beatmaking (hardware and / or software) (if applicable): Akai lpd8. & Yamaha KX midi keyboard with Reason 9 & S1
Daw of choice (if applicable): Reason 9 & S1

Main duty (producer, mixer, mastering, diy recording, rapper, singer etc): Producer, mixer, some mastering & recording.
Main Musical Style (boombap, trap, 90s rnb etc)
Modern RnB, Trap, Boombap, Pop music & Dance Hall.
Old 21st December 2016
Lives for gear

Get rid of that Samson...lol
Old 21st December 2016
forgot to add:

Interface / Converters:

that is now updated to the list
Old 21st December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon View Post
Get rid of that Samson...lol
No way that's my bull crap mic for just talking. Why would I get rid of that? You don't get rid of certain things you dudes better up your knowledge!
Trevon II'm going to kill you man lol
Old 21st December 2016
Lives for gear

Lmao my baby monitor sounds better then that lmao
Old 22nd December 2016
Gear Head

mic/pre amp : not enough experience to answer that as i work more instrumental than vocal.

compressors:
-API 2500 (far away!!) because versatility, because lots of functions, that allow to have soft or damn creative compression.
-SSL G serie... Good punch, but the more time pass and the more the API is always the first choice.
-Vertigo VSC-2 (actually just discovering it and totally blown and amazed!!!).... pffffffiou!!! can compress a bit in trasnparent way , even a soft compression like 1db can fix some issues with some hard kicks on a master. more compression and then you have a nice colour... The soft mode is amazing and useful for natural compression and keep some punch. The stereo unlinked mode give air space, sublte but nice.

EQ:
-pultec eqp1a, the more i'm using it, the more i appreciate it. good colour.

other hardware:
-my analo console (give life and warm...) monarch MMX-1642, totally unknown. Not so much info, probably west germany material from late 70s early 80s. 16 track + 4 aux input so +4 more track / 4 bus / 3 AUX send pre or post fader. 7 VU, one for each bus, 2 for the master (L/R) and one for the PFL. Great gear, lots of routing possible etc. The only weak point is about the EQ: 4 EQ but not parametric. I would prefer the med Eq could be semi parametric and choose the frequency i wanna work, but hey it's allright.
-roland RE-301 (for the reverb... i usually dont use delay on hip hop but should try; but using it for reggae a lot, da best!) good spring reverb, could be deep or just ambiencing nicely... The delay could be natural or totally crazy, impossible to describe, too much possibility and creativity possible... as i said, the best spring reverb, tape delay ever.
-Technics SL 1200 MKII... LOL

Beatmaking
-Akai MPC 2000 XL, no need to justify that point i think, as technics turntables...

interface/converters:
-Motuuuuuuuu !! 2408 MKII + 24 i/o because it's just great.. good sound quality of the converter, totally designed to make a bridge between a DAW and analog gear. started with the 2408, add a 24 i/o for more analog i/o... probably the interface with the more analog i/o possible. I mean at this price, with this quality, just unbeatable.

DAW
-samplitude.. simply the best! object-oriented so when you work samples, this is the best. also its quality on everything... and after 12-15 years still not using all functions... Incredible all tools in there!

MIXIN PLUG:
-graphic Eq from samplitude, for the colour
-FFT filter from samplitude.... To clean, isolate some frequencies etc... damn powerful!
-waves L2, maybe not that amazing but really useful.. must be used moderately ^^
-waves X-crackle... sometimes let the vinyl crackle is fine and even wanted but sometimes not, when you need clean a sample, it's pretty useful.

Mastering PLUG:
not really satisfied by plug, can obtain decent results, but build an analog chain is the next step for 2017.

Mastering hardware:
-TC DBMAX, a all in one. Multiban, stereo enhancer, brickwall... Great gear.
-VERTIGO VSC-2...... pffffffffiou!!!!
(still not used but thinking FCS P3S will give great result. For a vari-mu, thinking about a tubecore, a rockruepel... Dreaming about a shadow hills mastering comp, but the price makes me dream less. Let's see in future, will eventually edit later)

Main duty: producer, mixing engineer, mastering engineer

Main style: abstract hip-hop, 90s boombap, instrumental (+ roots, early dancehall, early digital, 90s dancehall)

Main influence: Dj Krush, Dj premier, RZA, Buckwild, da beatminerz, Shurik'n, imhotep, onyx, mobb deep... (and many more of course but those are the most important, especially DJ Krush...) ... [then for reggae... tubby, A. Pablo, glen brown, Phil Pratt, Linval thompson, junjo lawes... most of all channel one studio => so roots radics, soljie hamilton, scientist.... singers: wayne smith, hugh mundell, johnny clarke, barrington levy, michael palmer, barry brown, junior reid, viceroys etc etc... aaaand Sizzla Kalonji]
Old 22nd December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohay View Post
mic/pre amp : not enough experience to answer that as i work more instrumental than vocal.

compressors:
-API 2500 (far away!!) because versatility, because lots of functions, that allow to have soft or damn creative compression.
-SSL G serie... Good punch, but the more time pass and the more the API is always the first choice.
-Vertigo VSC-2 (actually just discovering it and totally blown and amazed!!!).... pffffffiou!!! can compress a bit in trasnparent way , even a soft compression like 1db can fix some issues with some hard kicks on a master. more compression and then you have a nice colour... The soft mode is amazing and useful for natural compression and keep some punch. The stereo unlinked mode give air space, sublte but nice.

EQ:
-pultec eq1a, the more i'm using it, the more i appreciate it. good colour.

other hardware:
-my analo console (give life and warm...) monarch MMX-1642, totally unknown. Not so much info, probably west germany material from late 70s early 80s. 16 track + 4 aux input so +4 more track / 4 bus / 3 AUX send pre or post fader. 7 VU, one for each bus, 2 for the master (L/R) and one for the PFL. Great gear, lots of routing possible etc. The only weak point is about the EQ: 4 EQ but not parametric. I would prefer the med Eq could be semi parametric and choose the frequency i wanna work, but hey it's allright.
-roland RE-301 (for the reverb... i usually dont use delay on hip hop but should try; but using it for reggae a lot, da best!) good spring reverb, could be deep or just ambiencing nicely... The delay could be natural or totally crazy, impossible to describe, too much possibility and creativity possible... as i said, the best spring reverb, tape delay ever.
-Technics SL 1200 MKII... LOL

Beatmaking
-Akai MPC 2000 XL, no need to justify that point i think, as technics turntables...

interface/converters:
-Motuuuuuuuu !! 2408 MKII + 24 i/o because it's just great.. good sound quality of the converter, totally designed to make a bridge between a DAW and analog gear. started with the 2408, add a 24 i/o for more analog i/o... probably the interface with the more analog i/o possible. I mean at this price, with this quality, just unbeatable.

DAW
-samplitude.. simply the best! object-oriented so when you work samples, this is the best. also its quality on everything... and after 12-15 years still not using all functions... Incredible all tools in there!

MIXIN PLUG:
-graphic Eq from samplitude, for the colour
-FFT filter from samplitude.... To clean, isolate some frequencies etc... damn powerful!
-waves L2, maybe not that amazing but really useful.. must be used moderately ^^
-waves X-crackle... sometimes let the vinyl crackle is fine and even wanted but sometimes not, when you need clean a sample, it's pretty useful.

Mastering PLUG:
not really satisfied by plug, can obtain decent results, but build an analog chain is the next step for 2017.

Mastering hardware:
-TC DBMAX, a all in one. Multiban, stereo enhancer, brickwall... Great gear.
-VERTIGO VSC-2...... pffffffffiou!!!!
(still not used but thinking FCS P3S will give great result. For a vari-mu, thinking about a tubecore, a rockruepel... Dreaming about a shadow hills mastering comp, but the price makes me dream less. Let's see in future, will eventually edit later)

Main duty: producer, mixing engineer, mastering engineer

Main style: abstract hip-hop, 90s boombap, instrumental (+ roots, early dancehall, early digital, 90s dancehall)

Main influence: Dj Krush, Dj premier, RZA, Buckwild, da beatminerz, Shurik'n, imhotep, onyx, mobb deep... (and many more of course but those are the most important, especially DJ Krush...) ... [then for reggae... tubby, A. Pablo, glen brown, Phil Pratt, Linval thompson, junjo lawes... most of all channel one studio => so roots radics, soljie hamilton, scientist.... singers: wayne smith, hugh mundell, johnny clarke, barrington levy, michael palmer, barry brown, junior reid, viceroys etc etc... aaaand Sizzla Kalonji]
great response. Will add main influences and mastering hardware to the list!

have you heard about the api 2500 trick to make the compressor much better?

pull out the caps compressor will sound A LOT Better

2500 Mod

the guy who invented the api 2500 was telling people to do that
Old 22nd December 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
great response. Will add main influences and mastering hardware to the list!

have you heard about the api 2500 trick to make the compressor much better?

pull out the caps compressor will sound A LOT Better

2500 Mod

the guy who invented the api 2500 was telling people to do that

didnt know about, thanks a lot!!

yeah i hope some other people will answer this topic, it could give some new ideas for top gears. Mine is very "classic" i suppose, but i never had the possibility to test so many gear. For long time i didnt want to ruin myself with some material. I wanted produce a lot and learn how to mix by myself before.

But some prod, especially from the past surely had some great experience with specific gear... Please let us know!
Old 7th January 2017
Here for the gear
2 cents

I'm running a Manley Ref C through a Vintech X73i and a Distressor EL8-X.

Amazing vocal chain for rap. I have an API 2500 outboard compressor as well but it's not the end all be all for your mix. It will without a doubt add snap to snares and punch to the kick with the Loud thrust setting.

Here's a vocal sample and review of the chain I did the other week-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=craROF_NOz0
Old 8th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Mics: at2020 (inexpensive clean sounding). Shure sm7b (thicker sounding, darker)
Pres: UAD Apollo with Neve1073
Compressors: UAD LA2a (easy to use smooth sounding)
Eqs: pro q2
Interface / Converters: UAD Apollo
Mixing Plugins: sausage fattener, UAD/Fabfilter plugs
Mastering Plugins: Elephant, Ozone
Beatmaking (hardware and / or software) (if applicable): Ableton Push2
Daw of choice (if applicable): Ableton Live
Main duty (producer, mixer, mastering, diy recording, rapper, singer etc): beat maker engineer
Main Musical Style (boombap, trap, 90s rnb etc): Trap, R&B, Boombap, Gfunk, Pop
Main Musical Influences: Dre, Neptunes, Kanye Just Blaze, Stevie, Soft Rock, House EDM(Zedd, Daft Punk), Almost everything though
Old 16th January 2017
Mics: nt1-a
Pres: bluetube
Compressors: n/a
Eqs: n/a
Other Hardware / Outboard / Mixing Boards: n/a
Interface / Converters: mbox 2
Mixing Plugins: too many to name lol
Mastering Plugins: SG-X
Mastering Hardware (if applicable): n/a
Beatmaking (hardware and / or software) (if applicable): axiom 61
Daw of choice (if applicable): fl studio 12, pro tools 10 HD, logic pro X, reaper
Main duty (producer, mixer, mastering, diy recording, rapper, singer etc): music producer, mixing, recording engineer, vocalist
Main Musical Style (boombap, trap, 90s rnb etc): hip hop, pop, jazz, classical
Main Musical Influences: quincy jones, dr. dre, rob dougan, timbaland, stevie wonder, michael jackson, eminem, q-tip, j dilla, 9th wonder, kanye west, etc....

Last edited by Godson; 19th January 2017 at 10:43 PM..
Old 19th January 2017
Mics: Rode Nt1-a - I am not recording vocals a lot though
Pres: -
Compressors: -
Eqs: -
Other Hardware / Outboard / Mixing Boards: Mackie VLZ Mixer, Genelec M040
Interface / Converters: UAD Apollo Twin TB
Mixing Plugins: UAD, a lot Waves, AIR/Avid, Output Movement, IK Multimedia T-Racks, Sonarworks Reference Monitoring
Mastering Plugins: Izotope Ozone Element
Mastering Hardware: -
Beatmaking: NI Maschine Studio, Korg M3, EMU Proteus 2000 & MoPhatt, Les Paul Guitar, Reloop Turntable, a crappy Bass guitar and a set of Bongos
Daw of choice: Pro Tools
Main duty: music producer, beatmaking, mixing
Main Musical Style: Classic Hip Hop, G-Funk, R&B
Main Musical Influences: 2Pac, Johnny J, R.Kelly, Timbaland, Michael Jackson, Sade, Wu-Tang Clan, DJ Quik, Cypress Hill - in general a lot of 90's Hip Hop & RnB
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Mics: Neumann U87Ai, Neumann TLM-67
Pres: Neve 1073 DPA
Compressors: UA LA2A, DBX 163x
Eqs: none at the moment, looking at Pultec
Interface / Converters: Lynx Hilo, Sound Devices USBPre 2
Mixing Plugins: Waves, Logic, FabFilter
Mastering Plugins: n/a
Beatmaking (hardware and / or software) (if applicable): MPC-1000
Daw of choice (if applicable): Logic
Main duty (producer, mixer, mastering, diy recording, rapper, singer etc): Producer, rapper
Main Musical Style (boombap, trap, 90s rnb etc): boompap, soul
Main Musical Influences: Kanye West, J-Dilla, Madlib, Karriem Riggins, Bink!, Just Blaze
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Addict

maybe a good rapper too ?
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continental View Post
maybe a good rapper too ?
These are vintage.
Old 27th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando Calrissian View Post
Mics: Neumann U87Ai, Neumann TLM-67
Pres: Neve 1073 DPA
Compressors: UA LA2A, DBX 163x
Eqs: none at the moment, looking at Pultec
Interface / Converters: Lynx Hilo, Sound Devices USBPre 2
Mixing Plugins: Waves, Logic, FabFilter
Mastering Plugins: n/a
Beatmaking (hardware and / or software) (if applicable): MPC-1000
Daw of choice (if applicable): Logic
Main duty (producer, mixer, mastering, diy recording, rapper, singer etc): Producer, rapper
Main Musical Style (boombap, trap, 90s rnb etc): boompap, soul
Main Musical Influences: Kanye West, J-Dilla, Madlib, Karriem Riggins, Bink!, Just Blaze
I like this setup

By the way Added a section for everyone, Dream Gear. A list of any gear you wish you had. Hopefully in a year this will be a good reference for anyone wanting to know what kind of gear works for hip hop, and on what style of hip hop
Old 7th February 2017
personal experience

I dont own every piece but ive used every piece and can testify to thier dopeness.
Mics: MXL 2003a (suprisngly this was AMAZING on MY voice), Miktek C1 (that internal voltage switch give this mics two diff voices.), MXL Genesis, AKG 213, Wunder C7 (absolutley great on damn near everything, but this one is pricey!), Presonus Eureka.
Pres: ADL 700, Black Lion B173, Warm WA12, BAE 1073mp
Compressors: distressor, 1176 (the slate dragon is still my fav clone)
Eqs: vintech x73i, massive passive, Golden Age EQ81 (didnt use it long but yea it was def useful!)
Interface / Converters: burl b2, antelope audio pure
Mixing Plugins: Vcomp by waves. (my fav vocal buss comp)
Mastering Plugins:
Beatmaking (hardware and / or software) (if applicable): Maschine and Reason
Daw of choice (if applicable): Reaper
Main duty (producer, mixer, mastering, diy recording, rapper, singer etc): rapper/ producer/ engineer.
Main Musical Influences: ludacris, jay z, outkast, ti, nas, laryn hill, t-pain
Dream Gear: LA-2A (next level for vocals.)

And to add i have learned some .....princeples, if you will, over time.
1. Buy nice dont buy twice
2. Start at the top of the signal. Get the best mic one can afford.
3. Plugins are cool, but hardware is still king. After using a vocal chain full of tube and transformers i can honestly say that hardware is still as good as it gets. not knocking plugins, by no means. BUT id rather pay 2000 bucks for hardware than for a plugin bundle. IF i had to choose. I recorded in a studio where the chain was a wunder c7> bae1073> retro instruments 176> manley massive passive> aurora 16..
WOW. i mean it just clearly made you have a totally diff appreciation for quality gear. Now thats not to say we cant get great songs outta less, but hardware imo is always a better investment than software.
4. make dope records. people remember the song and how it made them feel. Noone cares what DAW was used to make it.
Old 8th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by mequaz View Post
I recorded in a studio where the chain was a wunder c7> bae1073> retro instruments 176> manley massive passive> aurora 16..
WOW. i mean it just clearly made you have a totally diff appreciation for quality gear. Now thats not to say we cant get great songs outta less, but hardware imo is always a better investment than software.
That sounds like the ultimate chain! I agree. I have been investing in more hardware myself and the difference is clear. Hardware > plugins. But something that has been tracked right, imo, can stay fully in the box and will still sound just as good.
Old 8th February 2017
Quote:
That sounds like the ultimate chain! I agree. I have been investing in more hardware myself and the difference is clear. Hardware > plugins. But something that has been tracked right, imo, can stay fully in the box and will still sound just as good.
If money wasnt an issue would u have more hardware? ....yea me too! That said i agree if it's tracked right, u can stay in the box and get great results.
Old 8th February 2017
Lives for gear

Mics: Waiting on SA-87 with sowter transformer
Pres: D.W. Fearn VT-1 w/ NOS GE tubes and ADL 600
Compressors: none
Eqs: none
Other Hardware / Outboard / Mixing Boards: Soundcraft delta 200 32ch(will be modded by Jim Williams very soon) and Avid C24 control surface
Interface / Converters: Qes Labs PAD-2 A/D converter and Lynx E44 converter
Mixing Plugins: Eventide anthology X, Waves, NI whole bunch
Mastering Plugins: Waves L2
Mastering Hardware (if applicable): Qes Labs PAD-2 A/D converter
Beatmaking (hardware and / or software) (if applicable): Akai MPC 5000, NI Komplete 10U, E-MU modules, Alesis drum module, Roland system 8 and Reloop 7000 gold limited edition with gold ortofon cartridge and NI Maschine mk1
Daw of choice (if applicable): Protools HD w/ C24 daw controller and monitoring
Main duty (producer, mixer, mastering, diy recording, rapper, singer etc): Mixing, producing DIY recording, having fun
Main Musical Style (boombap, trap, 90s rnb etc): 90s westcoast i guess
Main Musical Influences:DJ Quik, Dr. Dre, Fredwreck, DJ Premier, Focus
Dream Gear: SSL AWS 924 w/ Merging technologies Horus loaded with 8 in and 32 out for DSD recording and outboard efx like Lexicon 960 or Kurzweil KSP-8 or Eventide HW8000 with remote.
Old 9th February 2017
Quote:
If money wasnt an issue would u have more hardware? ....yea me too! That said i agree if it's tracked right, u can stay in the box and get great results.
Yes, even with all the hardware gear i think staying 100℅ in the box for mixing is essential these days. Mainly due to being able to instantly recall all settings at a later date. Like for instance making mix changes, or after referencing mixes in the car / club etc. Personally id prefer a nice hardware tracking chain(s) then stay in the box the rest of the way even if money is no object. I think plugins can do a really good job of finishing off a well tracked song. To the point where using hardware during mixing is a matter of preference vs a real difference in the end product. But thats just me. I see a lot of famous mixers switching to this style though
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, even with all the hardware gear i think staying 100℅ in the box for mixing is essential these days. Mainly due to being able to instantly recall all settings at a later date. Like for instance making mix changes after referencing mixes in the car / club etc. Personally id prefer a nice hardware tracking chain(s) then stay in the box the rest of the way even if money is no object. But thats just me. I see a lot of famous mixers switching to this style though
Not saying you are lazy or anything. But do you see the whole ITB as almost a lack of commitment? I love my but it does allow me to just tweak and tweak and tweak instead of just saying its gonna be like this and thats it vs mixing on a console getting it right and taking notes of console parameters and if im 100% sure i need to revise the mix i recall it manually and then tweak it. Almost pushing me to say if im gonna recall this whole mix its because it really needs to be retweaked and corrected vs its close enough to leave alone?

P.S. I dont record anyone other than me so i dont have budgets or deadlines or shyt like that.
Old 9th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
Not saying you are lazy or anything. But do you see the whole ITB as almost a lack of commitment? I love my but it does allow me to just tweak and tweak and tweak instead of just saying its gonna be like this and thats it vs mixing on a console getting it right and taking notes of console parameters and if im 100% sure i need to revise the mix i recall it manually and then tweak it. Almost pushing me to say if im gonna recall this whole mix its because it really needs to be retweaked and corrected vs its close enough to leave alone?

P.S. I dont record anyone other than me so i dont have budgets or deadlines or shyt like that.
Everyone has their own style. Theres no right or wrong way. To me its just more conveinient.

I dont mix as many people as the big names but its enough people that ask me to change old mixes. Some that ive completely forgot about. For example you might appreciate an easy mix recall like if someone comes back months later and wants to fix 4 old songs in 1 day last minute because they are finally releasing them. Thats why for me, i like staying in the box.
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Everyone has their own style. Theres no right or wrong way. To me its just more convenient.

I dont mix as many people as the big names but its enough people that ask me to change old mixes. Some that ive completely forgot about. For example you might appreciate an easy mix recall like if someone comes back months later and wants to fix 4 old songs in 1 day last minute because they are finally releasing them. Thats why for me, i like staying in the box.
I understand that. I was just wondering and thanks for not taking it like i was deliberately calling you out or trying to insult you in some way. I mix ITB and find that while its way easier to recall, its much more work to get it sounding right than when i used to work on a cheap console and a hd24.
Old 9th February 2017
Quote:
Yes, even with all the hardware gear i think staying 100℅ in the box for mixing is essential these days. Mainly due to being able to instantly recall all settings at a later date. Like for instance making mix changes, or after referencing mixes in the car / club etc. Personally id prefer a nice hardware tracking chain(s) then stay in the box the rest of the way even if money is no object. I think plugins can do a really good job of finishing off a well tracked song. To the point where using hardware during mixing is a matter of preference vs a real difference in the end product. But thats just me. I see a lot of famous mixers switching to this style though
Thats how i do it. My current chain is
AACM67>Vintech x73i>Slate Dragon>Warm Audio WA-2A (modifed)>Warm Audio WA EQP-1A (modded)> audient id22

LONG ....yes but it helps me focus on tracking it right. Barley touching the vox with plugins. Not saying i dont but sublte here subtle there. Makes a big differnece. Im by no means knocking ITB mixing. I still do it too. BUT i can honestly say after working with hardware for a while and being in bigger more equipped studios than my own i see why the old guys feel that way. And as far as recall goes...... i mean we got cell phones, just take a pic. Write it down. Recalling is not all that difficult. Plus hardware forces you to pay attetion and use your ears. Im all about plugins. GOD SENDS. BUT no matter what OS my outboard gear is still good. Thats why i decided to invest more in a tracking chain that i felt would get me 85-90% there. Been a few days where all i had to add was reverb. BUT if all the plugins are modeling the hardware ......get the real thing.
Old 10th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
I understand that. I was just wondering and thanks for not taking it like i was deliberately calling you out or trying to insult you in some way. I mix ITB and find that while its way easier to recall, its much more work to get it sounding right than when i used to work on a cheap console and a hd24.
Your right it may be a little harder in the box, of course. But I prefer convienience. I will definitely get even more hardware down the line, no question.

One of the biggest things I would invest in if money was no object would be the studio space itself. Then I would invest in monitoring. With a top quality studio space, and accurate monitoring, and great tracking chains, plugins can get the rest of the way there .

Quote:
Thats how i do it. My current chain is
AACM67>Vintech x73i>Slate Dragon>Warm Audio WA-2A (modifed)>Warm Audio WA EQP-1A (modded)> audient id22

LONG ....yes but it helps me focus on tracking it right. Barley touching the vox with plugins. Not saying i dont but sublte here subtle there. Makes a big differnece. Im by no means knocking ITB mixing. I still do it too. BUT i can honestly say after working with hardware for a while and being in bigger more equipped studios than my own i see why the old guys feel that way. And as far as recall goes...... i mean we got cell phones, just take a pic. Write it down. Recalling is not all that difficult. Plus hardware forces you to pay attetion and use your ears. Im all about plugins. GOD SENDS. BUT no matter what OS my outboard gear is still good. Thats why i decided to invest more in a tracking chain that i felt would get me 85-90% there. Been a few days where all i had to add was reverb. BUT if all the plugins are modeling the hardware ......get the real thing.
right. Thanks for your reply. I currently have a wa2a and wa76 they are great. The difference between these and the plugin emulations is night and day so I will give you that. But once it's tracked correctly, doing the rest with plugins doesn't sound bad at all, in fact compliments it perfectly. Like you said though, you want to get as close as you can to begin with.
Old 10th February 2017
Lives for gear

Mics: Horch Rm2J, Brauner VM1, U47, U 67, & Telefunken 251.

Pres: DW Fearn VT1, Neve 1272, Neve 1084 and Requisite Audio Pal Plus MK2 or MK3.

Compressors:
Vocals: Mercury 66, Gates Sta Level, Chandler RS124, Atomic Squeezebox, and CL1B.
2 Buss: API 2500, DW Fearn VT7, Requisite LM2, and Manley Vari-Mu and Acustica Audio Coral.

Eqs: SSL 4K Black, Manley Massive Passive, GML 8200, DW Fearn VT-4, Nebula, Acustica Audio Sand and Lime.

Mixing Boards: SSL 4K G plus.

Interface / Converters: Burl, Apogee and Audient iD22.

Mixing Plugins: Acustica Audio Nebula and Acqua's.

Mastering Plugins: Acustica Audio Coral.

Mastering Hardware (if applicable): GML 8200, DW Fearn VT-7, Manley Vari-Mu and Requisite LM2.

Beatmaking (hardware and / or software) (if applicable): Maschine and Akai.

Daw of choice (if applicable): Studio One, Reaper, PARIS and PTHD.

Main duty (producer, mixer, mastering, diy recording, rapper, singer etc): Producer/Engineer.

Main Musical Style (boombap, trap, 90s rnb etc): I refuse to allow my creativity to be limited by corporate created boxes disguised as musical styles.

Main Musical Influences: John Williams, Issac Hays, Larry Smith and DJ Chuck Chillout.
Old 11th February 2017
thanks for the reply ^^^^

Thanks for the reply's everyone. one more category added:

Favorite piece of gear (up to 3) and why (why is optional):

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search