The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best rap / hip hop equipment Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 11th February 2017
Sup, fam. I just copped this compressor: the PuigChild compressor, modeled off of the Fairchild 670. The dude who helped bring this vintage replica to fruition said he uses this over the Fairchild 670 90% of the time. They really took their time to make this a GREAT compressor and it's on sale for 49 dollars bro! I instantly copped this today, and tested it on one vocal, and immediately was satisfied with my purchase. I'll post the link below - worthy compressor to try out and experiment with. Turning virtual knobs is nice like turning real ones.

Link: Fairchild Compressor Plugin: PuigChild 660 & 670 | Waves

Try it on everything, but I read that it's REALLY good for vocals and bass, and through testing it on a bass track as well, I'd have to say I agree. Peace!
Old 11th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Elliott View Post
Sup, fam. I just copped this compressor: the PuigChild compressor, modeled off of the Fairchild 670. The dude who helped bring this vintage replica to fruition said he uses this over the Fairchild 670 90% of the time. They really took their time to make this a GREAT compressor and it's on sale for 49 dollars bro! I instantly copped this today, and tested it on one vocal, and immediately was satisfied with my purchase. I'll post the link below - worthy compressor to try out and experiment with. Turning virtual knobs is nice like turning real ones.

Link: Fairchild Compressor Plugin: PuigChild 660 & 670 | Waves

Try it on everything, but I read that it's REALLY good for vocals and bass, and through testing it on a bass track as well, I'd have to say I agree. Peace!
This sounds like a Waves infomercial from 2007, lol.
FWIW, That's an old plugin that sounds NOTHING like a real 660, and turning virtual knowbs is nothing like turning real knobs.

The thread is about: "This is a thread compiling everybodys favorites."

Please stay on topic, fam.
Old 13th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
This sounds like a Waves infomercial from 2007, lol.
FWIW, That's an old plugin that sounds NOTHING like a real 660, and turning virtual knowbs is nothing like turning real knobs.

The thread is about: "This is a thread compiling everybodys favorites."

Please stay on topic, fam.
I'm just excited about the compressor and I feel in touch with analog while turning these digital knobs, since I don't have the privilege of working on an analog mixing board right now.

Whether or not it sounds like the original - that's your opinion, but this plug in is definitely one of my favorites.

Peace, fam.
Old 21st February 2017
Gear Head
Mics: Sennheiser MD 422U
Pres: Yamaha AW 4416
Compressors: Yamaha AW 4416
Eqs: Yamaha AW 4416
Other Hardware / Outboard / Mixing Boards: Yamaha AW 4416
Interface / Converters: Yamaha AW 4416
Mixing Plugins:
Mastering Plugins:
Mastering Hardware (if applicable): Yamaha AW 4416
Beatmaking (hardware and / or software) (if applicable): Zoom Sampletrak , MPC 2000XL , MPC 1000 , MPC 500 , Roland SP 404SX
Daw of choice (if applicable): Yamaha AW 4416
Main duty (producer, mixer, mastering, diy recording, rapper, singer etc): producer , rapper
Main Musical Style (boombap, trap, 90s rnb etc):
Main Musical Influences: too much... Hippie stuff, Rap, everything
Favorite piece of gear (up to 3) and why (why is optional): Zoom Sampletrak for the sound
Dream Gear: A new version of the Sampletrak, OP-1 , MPC Live , AKG C214 , Manley Preamp
Old 21st February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Elliott View Post
I'm just excited about the compressor and I feel in touch with analog while turning these digital knobs, since I don't have the privilege of working on an analog mixing board right now.

Whether or not it sounds like the original - that's your opinion, but this plug in is definitely one of my favorites.

Peace, fam.
Just read the OP and follow it please....... this is a PRO Audio NG, we love opinions around here, just not off topic infomercial type posts.
Old 2nd October 2017
Gear Nut

Neumann U87AI vs Neumann TLM-67? .. and how dose the TLM sound thru your neve?
Old 3rd October 2017
Ok after a year I'll add mine, not all gear I own, but most I used and have found it to be effective on rap / hip hop, except some dream gear i havent used yet.

Mics
: Telefunken Copperhead, Blue Kiwi, Neumann u87, Neumann TLM 103, Telefunken U47, Blue Spark, MXL 990
Pres: Neve 1073, BAE 1073, BAE 1073mp, Blue Robbie, Presonus Eureka / Studio Channel Strip
Compressors: warm audio 1176, warm audio La2a, cla 1176 / la2a, Rcomp, Rvox, Puigchild 660/670, L1
Eqs: Neve 1073, Scheps 1073, Pro Tools Eq iii 7 band, Waves Ren eq, Waves Q8
Other Hardware / Outboard / Monitors / Mixing Boards: Ssl 4k (used it once), JBL LSR 4328p, Avantone Mixcubes, ISO Acoustics stands
Interface / Converters: Avid Omni, Avid HD converters
Mixing Plugins: Antares Autotune, Lexicon PCM Reverb, Waves H Delay, Excalibur, Lo Fi, AIR distortion, AIR Multi Delay, Fab Filter Pro D ess, Waves NLS
Mastering Plugins: Ozone 5, The Glue, Fab Filter Po L,
Mastering Hardware (if applicable): TC electronic Finalizer (used it once)
Beatmaking (hardware and / or software) (if applicable): Reason, FL Studio, MPC, Pro Tools, Nexus, Sylenth, Massive, Kontakt
Daw of choice (if applicable): Pro Tools
Main duty (producer, mixer, mastering, diy recording, rapper, singer etc): All of the above except singer
Main Musical Style (boombap, trap, 90s rnb etc): Trap Rap, Westcoast Rap
Main Musical Influences: Tupac, Dr Dre, MC Hammer, Too Short, Mac Dre, Notorious B.I.G., Jay Z, Future, Rick Ross, Eminem, Famous Dex, Rich The Kid, Migos, Metro Boomin, Jeezy, Drumma Boy, T Pain, Gucci Mane, Zaytoven, E 40, DJ Khaled, The Runners, Lil Jon, Kanye West, Timbaland
Favorite piece of gear (up to 3) and why (why is optional): Telefunken Copperhead (I love this mic for rap. very balanced mic with good color), Neve 1073 - absolutely the best preamp of all time I think, Pro Tools DAW with good a/d d/a conversion - makes life so easy!
Dream Gear: Telefunken U47, CL1b, Real Neve 1073, ATC scm25a, ATC scm45a, Retro STA Level, Chandler Redd, Chandler RS124, Retro 176, Rupert Neve Shelford Channel, Rupert Neve Portico Channel, + more stuff on my list suggested to me by gearslutz pros.
Old 3rd October 2017
Here for the gear

Original boombap

SP1200&S950?? Nothing?¿? MPC 60 Cooge carapalm melocotón
Old 6th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Fill out like this (your top 3-5, that you either own, use or would prefer to use)

Mics: U195, SM7B
Pres: Great River, API 512c
Compressors: Api 525
Eqs:
Other Hardware / Outboard / Mixing Boards:
Interface / Converters: Digi 002r Black lion sig mod, Apogee duet
Mixing Plugins:
Mastering Plugins:
Mastering Hardware (if applicable):
Beatmaking (hardware and / or software) (if applicable): Maschine, Reason
Daw of choice (if applicable): Reason, logic
Main duty (producer, mixer, mastering, diy recording, rapper, singer etc):
Main Musical Style (boombap, trap, 90s rnb etc): Movie scores to beats, Trap
Main Musical Influences:Joe Budden, 116
Favorite piece of gear (up to 3) and why (why is optional): Maschine workflow capabilites ridiculous, surface pro 3 mobilty is amazzing
Dream Gear: orion interface, Genelec Mon, vintage c414 and c12, bock 251,lachappelle 583E, profession recording/mixing/monitoring room, surface pro 1tb hd 16g ram, those touch mixing workstations, Rev library, unlimited paid time to use it all.
Old 6th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu2 View Post
Neumann U87AI vs Neumann TLM-67? .. and how dose the TLM sound thru your neve?
The TLM-67 sounded great through the Neve but the U87AI was much more open up top. I prefer the U87Ai for a modern rap vocal. Those raw recordings required less processing and EQ for the vocal sound I'm looking for.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search