The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone liking the AEA R84?
Old 22nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Anyone liking the AEA R84?

Looking to expand my mic locker. Right now I have a Peluso 251, TLM103 and SM7.

I do mainly urban music and was wondering if anyone has tried this mic on rappers or R&B singers.

Thanks!
Old 22nd February 2007
Gear Addict

I havent used this mic on rap or R&B vocals, but I have used it on just about everything else, and I can tell you, this mic is excellant. I use it on elec guitars, drums, horns, upright bass, vocals, acous guitars, piano, etc etc. Love this mic and the R88!
Old 16th February 2020
Here for the gear
This is one of the best microphones on the planet, followed by its brother the R84a. You will constantly be using it on voice, instrument and anything needing depth.

I just used it on hiphop last night into a BAE 1028-La2a-burlb2.... and it was awesome. Remember to have a high gain preamp and one with a solid HPF. You will have plenty of low end and thickness for days... but it needs to be tamed for a lead vocal.

If you don’t have a high gain preamp, you will need the R84a. My only qualm with it is the top and bottom end aren’t as ‘free’ like it’s passive brother.

I’ve never heard anyone make that observation except for me, but I hear it with all of aea’s passive vs active models.

I own an r84a, an r88, a u67 and stereo elam260’s among others.. the r88 constantly is in the running or gets used instead of the other candidates.

I’m sure you’ve already figured it out after 13 years, but whatever.
Old 17th February 2020
Lives for gear

It can be a great mic on the right vocalist, but like all ribbon mics, requires a certain kind of mic technique. That to me is more important than preamp gain. If you project your plosives directly into the ribbon, you can get some nasty pops in the audio and eventually wear out the ribbon.
Old 17th February 2020
Lives for gear
It's a good mic, but I struggle to find a reason to use it for a rap vocal unless I was absolutely going for a certain sound. If you track live instruments, then it would be good to have handy. Really, any ribbon is good to have handy for instruments.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
It's a good mic, but I struggle to find a reason to use it for a rap vocal unless I was absolutely going for a certain sound. If you track live instruments, then it would be good to have handy. Really, any ribbon is good to have handy for instruments.
As far as hiphop vocals specifically --- for a more rounded vintage sound, like if the beat is sort of jazzy or taken from a 70's sample I'd use the r84 (or 44 if I had one), a lot of other times the 67 into the bae rules the day.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search