The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MPC Black "Studio" edition
Old 10th August 2016
Lives for gear

MPC Black "Studio" edition

Greetings, I just got put on to the MPC Black, has anyone else gotten this? It looks delicious and I am definitely looking at this and it has a new capability with the vsts now. I'm trying to see if I need this and it looks good.

Old 10th August 2016
Lives for gear

I've had one for a couple months now, it's dope in all but for me it's over lap with having ableton... I got to the point where I just wanna use one daw... It's slim and the build quality is great, pads feel fantastic, chopping samples is a breeze... The MPC software has had vst support for years so that's not new at all..
I say grab if you want it, actually a great bit of kit for 350.00 and it comes with Hybrid 3 softsynth, sadly I thinking of selling mine to fund Push 2 which I should have got in the first place but didn't want to spend 650-700$

Your a Reason/Studio One user right, check out jayjoshrockstar on utube he uses the MPC touch with Reason and Studio One
Old 10th August 2016
Gear Nut

I got the MPC studio. Silver. Not the black. They do work the same though. It depends what you want to do. There is a big learning curve to the modern MPC software/ hardware intergration. I love my Silver. I love chopping my old beats. I love making hip hop beats with the chops. I use it all from hardware. Except from naming files I am totally mouse free. That's what I like. I can tune into the tactile feel of the hardware. Finger drum some beats. I like the way it saves and catalogs the programs and samples. It also has great MPC Classic sound banks from the MPC 60 to the 5000 and a huge catalog of beats programs and sounds. I love the vst intergration and the scales and chords functions. I also find it great for 4 on the floor house as well. I am tuning into the hybrid VST which I am beginning to appreciate.

To say I just love having an MPC as I could never really afford the hardware boxes of the past. The studio (black or silver) is a great place to start if you want to go down the MPC route.

If there is anything else in particular you would like to know I be happy to add to your post. Good luck.

BeatApprentice

To finish for now I will say that I think the MPC Hardware is THEE best controller and software package for mouse free intergration.

In saying that I can do it all in a quarter (or less) of the time with ableton and a mouse. Or can I? For some reason to me it's not about how quick I get there but how I get there. It is debatable wether MPC Software qualifies as a DAW but that's not really what you getting but it is fully fledge Midi Production Studio.

Should you take the plunge you will find this manual the bible you need to learn fast:
MPC: Sampling Laid Bare - 1.9 Edition Update
And the MPC-tutor and MPC-forums are both great resources.

Like you said it's a case of deciding if you need or want or will indeed use. I will look forward to hear if you jump in.
Old 10th August 2016
Lives for gear

If you weren't interested in the MPC Ren or MPC Studio before, this new product isn't going to be anything different man. It's just the MPC Studio in black with a different style of knobs on it. Same software and interaction with that software as the original MPC Studio and the Ren. This new MPC Studio is more or less just a cosmetic update.

I recall trying to recommend the Ren and the Studio to you before over the idea of getting another MPC 2000XL, but you felt it wasn't the right fit for how you like to work. You did say that your son owns a Ren right? Just borrow that and use it in your setup for a while and that should give you an idea of how the MPC Software would fit in with everything else you got going on. And if that isn't an option, just ask your son for his opinion. Who better to listen to than your own kin.
Old 10th August 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smack Dammit View Post
I've had one for a couple months now, it's dope in all but for me it's over lap with having ableton... I got to the point where I just wanna use one daw... It's slim and the build quality is great, pads feel fantastic, chopping samples is a breeze... The MPC software has had vst support for years so that's not new at all..
I say grab if you want it, actually a great bit of kit for 350.00 and it comes with Hybrid 3 softsynth, sadly I thinking of selling mine to fund Push 2 which I should have got in the first place but didn't want to spend 650-700$

Your a Reason/Studio One user right, check out jayjoshrockstar on utube he uses the MPC touch with Reason and Studio One
I went the opposite way and sold pushv1 for MPC studio. Just couldn't get away from the mouse with ableton and the push didn't really help. Depends on your ableton workflow I guess. For me ableton is to open as a DAW to ever integrate a solid piece of hardware that doesn't have unlimited assignable faders and knobs. I got so far (sketches) with push then it was down to the mouse.

I guess that the difference of push and MPC is that the MPC goes from start to finish (on the controller) and push just gives you a PUSH start.

Just saying

BeatApprentice
Old 11th August 2016
Lives for gear

Man... I was just like you Danoc. I saw that black mpc studio and was like... " Damn... that looks kinda dope"...I was ready to buy and I had a 20% off coupon from a Guitar Center which would have brought the price down to $319. But for some reason I didn't pull the trigger. I still think it looks dope but the urge to buy one is gone.

The only controller I'm thinking about buying now is Push 2 and I didn't 'really like the Live software a couple years ago when I tried it but it seems like things have improved and I've been hearing nothing but good things about the Push 2 controller. The next time Guitar Center decides to drop another 20% off coupon it my inbox it's going to be hard for me not to buy the Push 2 controller.

The only other big "If" is... if Native Instruments decides to get thier sh*t together and drop a bomb on everybody and release a new and improved Maschine controller with a new and emproved sequencer with real time - time stretching, recordable track mutes, independent Scene tempo ect... but most of us Maschine users know that's not going to happen. LOL

So yeah... that black MPC Studio looks nice but the only controller I'm looking at right now is Push 2 with Ableton Live software.

Last edited by ASICE; 11th August 2016 at 01:11 AM..
Old 11th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatApprentice View Post
I went the opposite way and sold pushv1 for MPC studio. Just couldn't get away from the mouse with ableton and the push didn't really help. Depends on your ableton workflow I guess. For me ableton is to open as a DAW to ever integrate a solid piece of hardware that doesn't have unlimited assignable faders and knobs. I got so far (sketches) with push then it was down to the mouse.

I guess that the difference of push and MPC is that the MPC goes from start to finish (on the controller) and push just gives you a PUSH start.

Just saying

BeatApprentice
Yeah Push 2 and Ableton 9.7 is a different animal tho, all the chop modes that the MPC has as well as warping which the MPC doesn't have... While I really dig the MPC workflow at the end of the day it still had to be exported to Logic or Ableton for mixing and like I said I just want to deal with one daw...
Old 11th August 2016
Lives for gear

You seem to have been around gear for awhile and if the MPC software hasn't caught you yet, I don't think it's going to do it for you. I don't feel like going into a lot of detail into my own perspective as many feel differently than I do but I haven't seen enough change, or enough integration to where it would seamlessly work outside of it's own software to the point it would replace a different controller but until either the DAW or controller develop, I don't see much new here.
Old 11th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Degree View Post
I haven't seen enough change, or enough integration to where it would seamlessly work outside of it's own software to the point it would replace a different controller but until either the DAW or controller develop, I don't see much new here.
Don't see much new? What are you basing your comparison to? The software at launch? Products from other companies? You can't drop a post like that and not expect to have to go into more detail about it lol.
Old 11th August 2016
Lives for gear

For the people wondering, skipping out on the Touch is skipping out on workflow. There are features accessible from the touch screen that are not on the other controllers. You also miss out on xy effects.

There's a midi cc assign page if you want.
Old 11th August 2016
Gear Nut

Seems a bit of a toss up really. Maschine. Push2 and the MPC all stepping up their game. Thing is all the afore mentioned controllers it would seem to me are all really wanting an MPC workflow. Old dogs die hard but Akai have been doing their MPC controllers for years. They have the knowledge and I thing with their strong controller/ software set ups it seems they still in the game.

MPC 2.0 may well bring in audio track recording and time stretching. I know plenty people who will still export Ableton stems to cubase and pro tools for a polished finish. For me the issue of the MPC not being a "DAW" is not an issue. It's so easy to track out or export to any daw you like. I can take my light laptop and studio and sit quite comfortable in the park/ on the train to my mums and continue where I left off.
Just saying
Old 11th August 2016
Lives for gear

Yeah I check out Jay sum times. I am not a push man at all! I'm an Mpc man all the way. I love that black color it looks really nice. I have the lpd8 its black and the pads on it I love them. IMA keep when I get Mpc studio. Dies the screen tilt up?$350? I seen it for $400 dollars who has it cheaper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smack Dammit View Post

Old 11th August 2016
Lives for gear

I don't have a son. I said my boy has the Ren. He was having glitch problems that's one reason I didn't go there at that time. The Ren is a bit bulky it looks nice now that should come in black. I'm going for the sequencer tightness. Reasons sequencer is OK but not tight. Some times I have to fix up my drum pattern. So now I want to go to the computer and use the Black with my vsts also and easy access to my drums. Oh by the way I'm getting it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
If you weren't interested in the MPC Ren or MPC Studio before, this new product isn't going to be anything different man. It's just the MPC Studio in black with a different style of knobs on it. Same software and interaction with that software as the original MPC Studio and the Ren. This new MPC Studio is more or less just a cosmetic update.

I recall trying to recommend the Ren and the Studio to you before over the idea of getting another MPC 2000XL, but you felt it wasn't the right fit for how you like to work. You did say that your son owns a Ren right? Just borrow that and use it in your setup for a while and that should give you an idea of how the MPC Software would fit in with everything else you got going on. And if that isn't an option, just ask your son for his opinion. Who better to listen to than your own kin.
Old 11th August 2016
Lives for gear

FAM is there trouble in Mashine Paradise ? Lol I wood never cop that thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASICE View Post
Man... I was just like you're Danoc. I saw that black mpc studio and was like... " Damn... that looks kinda dope"...I was ready to buy and I had a 20% off coupon from a Guitar Center which would have brought the price down to $319. But for some reason I didn't pull the trigger. I still think it looks dope but the urge to buy one is gone.

The only controller I'm thinking about buying now is Push 2 and I didn't 'really like the Live software a couple years ago when I tried it but it seems like things have improved and I've been hearing nothing but good things about the Push 2 controller. The next time Guitar Center decides to drop another 20% off coupon it my inbox it's going to be hard for me not to buy the Push 2 controller.

The only other big "If" is... if Native Instruments decides to get thier sh*t together and drop a bomb on everybody and release a new and improved Maschine controller with a new and emproved sequencer with real time - time stretching, recordable track mutes, independent Scene tempo ect... but most of us Maschine users know that's not going to happen. LOL

So yeah... that black MPC Studio looks nice but the only controller I'm looking at right now is Push 2 with Ableton Live software.

Old 11th August 2016
Lives for gear

If someone know where to get it cheaper let me know today I wanna get it Friday thanks. Provide a link please.
Old 11th August 2016
Lives for gear

Its an mpc, nothing special anymore imo
Old 11th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoc View Post
Oh by the way I'm getting it!
LOL...

Danoc... you know your sh*t and you've been around here long enough for me to trust your opinion. So... after you get the MPC Studio and have spent some time with it come back here and give us a nice thorough review.

Good luck on your purchase Bro!
Old 11th August 2016
Lives for gear

You know dam well I will, I want to get it out the box and be able to at least make drum patterns and send them over to either Studio One or Reason and rock out, I have 3 projects I am working on, and that will be my complete set up. Ima do a U-Tube video on it also.

Making RnB and Pop tracks like this I can't go wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASICE View Post
LOL...

Danoc... you know your sh*t and you've been around here long enough for me to trust your opinion. So... after you get the MPC Studio and have spent some time with it come back here and give us a nice thorough review.

Good luck on your purchase Bro!
Old 11th August 2016
Lives for gear

I still love the MPC 2000xl that held me down. The reason I am going with the black is the integration of my computer where my sounds are and instead of me recording real time into S1 or Reason I can just render out. It will work with my flow and that's what patience is. If I wood of listened to others and this came out I wood be pissed! In the end I listen to me.
Old 11th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I still love the MPC 2000xl that held me down. The reason I am going with the black is the integration of my computer where my sounds are and instead of me recording real time into S1 or Reason I can just render out. It will work with my flow and that's what patience is. If I wood of listened to others and this came out I wood be pissed! In the end I listen to me.
Admit it, the only reason you're game for the MPC now is because you love how this new one looks.

If you do end up getting it and want some tips for running it alongside Reason 9, let me know. Since the Reason 9 release, that's the combo I've been messing with for my productions. So far I'm liking it. I run them synced up together, and just drag and drop the audio renders for each track I sequence on the MPC into Reason. I mostly do it because I want to sequence my drums on the MPC instead of Reason, but working this way also allows my to use my VST instruments without having to ReWire Reason into another DAW.
Old 11th August 2016
Are we choosing a unit based on looks?
I have not used the newest versions of software but if @ PettyCash is correct, it sounds like a simple paint job, nothing actually being added . . . . .Am I missing something?
Old 12th August 2016
Lives for gear

See the thing is, when Akai first developed the mpc almost 30 years ago, there were no options such as Reason or Ableton. To each his own but in 2016, there are so many better ways to spend $400 imo
Old 12th August 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drethe5th View Post
Are we choosing a unit based on looks?
I have not used the newest versions of software but if @ PettyCash is correct, it sounds like a simple paint job, nothing actually being added . . . . .Am I missing something?
Better Q links and Data Wheel are the major improvements.
Old 12th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
See the thing is, when Akai first developed the mpc almost 30 years ago, there were no options such as Reason or Ableton. To each his own but in 2016, there are so many better ways to spend $400 imo
Agreed. When I was looking at an MPC I couldn't justify buying one because it wouldn't be adding a net positive in my workflow.

If you aren't a gear-snob $400 can get you a lot these days.
Old 12th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Vigilanti View Post
Agreed. When I was looking at an MPC I couldn't justify buying one because it wouldn't be adding a net positive in my workflow.

If you aren't a gear-snob $400 can get you a lot these days.
Exactly!

Akai have promoted the MPC as a machine for hiphop and electronic music production and drum programming.. This was cool when it was released in '88 and throughout the 90s but its 2016. With tools like Ableton, Cubase, Reason etc.. I just dont understand the allure of an MPC anymore.

I am by no means an "Akai hater" and likely have owned more MPCs throughout the years than majority of the people posting in this thread lol, I am however very welcoming of what newer and better tech is able to bring to the table.
Old 12th August 2016
Lives for gear

Nah the look is the last thing for me. I'm more worried about the function . I was patient that's all and learned the glitches don't happen like the beginning. I had to choose between it and the 2000xl, drag and drop is dope and I can work inside the.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Admit it, the only reason you're game for the MPC now is because you love how this new one looks.

If you do end up getting it and want some tips for running it alongside Reason 9, let me know. Since the Reason 9 release, that's the combo I've been messing with for my productions. So far I'm liking it. I run them synced up together, and just drag and drop the audio renders for each track I sequence on the MPC into Reason. I mostly do it because I want to sequence my drums on the MPC instead of Reason, but working this way also allows my to use my VST instruments without having to ReWire Reason into another DAW.
Old 12th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Exactly!

Akai have promoted the MPC as a machine for hiphop and electronic music production and drum programming.. This was cool when it was released in '88 and throughout the 90s but its 2016. With tools like Ableton, Cubase, Reason etc.. I just dont understand the allure of an MPC anymore.

I am by no means an "Akai hater" and likely have owned more MPCs throughout the years than majority of the people posting in this thread lol, I am however very welcoming of what newer and better tech is able to bring to the table.
No doubt. There is nothing wrong with MPC's or Akai. If somebody was getting by making beats with nothing but an MPC and it was working for them, then a Touch or Studio would be perfect for them.
Old 12th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Vigilanti View Post
No doubt. There is nothing wrong with MPC's or Akai. If somebody was getting by making beats with nothing but an MPC and it was working for them, then a Touch or Studio would be perfect for them.
Yup, def not knocking it at all. I just see these threads all too often and hope to open some eyes that with all the tools us as producers have at our disposal nowadays, some things are just unnecessary
Old 12th August 2016
Lives for gear

Hold up you have owned many MPCs and you don't get allure to it? THE SEQUENCER IS THE TIGHIEST! Reason, even with the quantize on if you try to drum pattern transitions it does not catch it on the one. For real I'm tired of going back to fix up my drums. Not so with the MPC. When I had the XL it was tight! Mouse FREE!

Quote:
Exactly!

Old 12th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hold up you have owned many MPCs and you don't get allure to it? THE SEQUENCER IS THE TIGHIEST! Reason, even with the quantize on if you try to drum pattern transitions it does not catch it on the one. For real I'm tired of going back to fix up my drums. Not so with the MPC. When I had the XL it was tight! Mouse FREE!
Yup. Ive owned almost all of them (3k, 2kxl, 4k briefly and have used the 60).

The sequencer USED TO BE the tightest, thats not the case anymore.
πŸ“ Reply