The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
maschine standalone vs plugin
Old 4th July 2016
maschine standalone vs plugin

i've been running maschine as a plugin with logic pro x. am i cheating myself here on maschines real experience? should i use maschine in standalone mode? what are pros and cons? i'm curious
Old 4th July 2016
Gear Head

I had to switch from using the plugin and just using it standalone. The workflow is so much faster that way.
Old 5th July 2016
Lives for gear

I think it's faster in standalone. But I don't mind using in Studio One as plug in. I think NI's sequencer is on the right track. It still needs a lot lot of work. But hey we all know NI will do a better job with the sequencer than AKAI in the long run.
Old 5th July 2016
Here for the gear

I usually scratch my ideas down in maschine as standalone then open it up in logic and import all my stems
Old 5th July 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshdi90 View Post
I usually scratch my ideas down in maschine as standalone then open it up in logic and import all my stems
This!
Old 5th July 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshdi90 View Post
By exporting the audio or putting the plugin in logic?
Old 5th July 2016
Gear Nut

I typically use Maschine Standalone. Just faster. I also use Maschine Scene Sequencer also. Like I write lyrics and all while working in Maschine. Once I have my lyrics I make some transition type edits and add-ons in Maschine also. THEN I export stems, record vocals and further edit from there. If I decide I want to add sounds I again do it in the previous Maschine session. I know I don't have the benefit of the vocals, but I really hate using Maschine in the plugin format.
Old 5th July 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by gLeDaris View Post
I typically use Maschine Standalone. Just faster. I also use Maschine Scene Sequencer also. Like I write lyrics and all while working in Maschine. Once I have my lyrics I make some transition type edits and add-ons in Maschine also. THEN I export stems, record vocals and further edit from there. If I decide I want to add sounds I again do it in the previous Maschine session. I know I don't have the benefit of the vocals, but I really hate using Maschine in the plugin format.
Same here that's what I do. The plugin adds extra thinking to the workflow.
Old 5th July 2016
Here for the gear

I use it as stand alone, that's the best way for my projects and what i do. Used it as a plugin a couple times, just easier stand alone.
Old 6th July 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSinBTonez View Post
By exporting the audio or putting the plugin in logic?
Either way really, up to you but I usually open maschine up in logic as a plugin then open the project in maschine and use the drag and drop function. Good thing about this is while I'm writing beats in logic I can also edit the maschine project if I have to then drag and drop straight away.
Old 6th July 2016
Do you have to buy the Maschine plug in or do they sell the kits/ sounds in wav. Files? I have been looking into Maschine and feel I don't need a Maschine HW slowing down my workflow at this point and really want the kits, sounds, samples, sequencer, and software to start.

How much is the Maschine plugin? Does this come with the sound libraries / kits?

Also, being a Komplete owner is there any discount on Maschine ( mikro, or the middle one ) considering I already paid for "komplete elements"?

I see a discount for komplete via owning Maschine but not the other way....
Thanks
Old 6th July 2016
Gear Addict

I've found that what works best for me is to run Maschine in standalone mode alongside my DAW (Ableton Live) and drag/drop audio from Maschine into Live as I go and arrange in Live's arrangement view.

So basically Maschine is run independently along with Live and treated as an external hardware groovebox that can instantly bounce audio into Live and I can quickly choose to make Live follow Maschine's transport controls at will when desired at the press of one button. This is done by utilizing Live's external MIDI sync, where I can just toggle on/off the Ableton's EXT button whenever I want Live to sync to Maschine's transport controls. This setup allows me to sequence the MIDI of drums/instruments patterns in Maschine in sync with what's in Live and then move them into Live as audio for arranging. And it's super quick and easy to go into Maschine to make changes of any patterns and drag/drop them into Live again.
Old 7th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopre View Post
But hey we all know NI will do a better job with the sequencer than AKAI in the long run.
Really ?
Can you explain this please, because Akai are a company with a very long tradition in extremely tight sequencers, NI have never released a usable sequencer, so please do explain how "We all know" this ?
Old 9th July 2016
wow i thought opinions on this were going to be mixed but i think i see what i might need to do here.. i appreciate everyone's input on this!
Old 10th July 2016
Here for the gear

People keep saying it's faster but don't explain why. I own the studio and like using the plugin. I run Reason rewired to S1 and maschine studio all at the sametime and love it. I've only had the studio for about 3 months,once I figured out how to enlarge the view it's been gold.
Old 15th July 2016
Lives for gear

Standalone.

I pretty much make the whole beat(Intro,Verse, Chorus, Verse ect) in Maschine standalone and then export the audio stems into Studio One for mixing, real time stretching, ect.

I wish I could stay in Maschine for the whole process but Maschine software isn't ready yet.
Old 15th July 2016
I use it as a plug in Pro Tools 12.5. I just want to be flexible with audio material. I like most features in the Maschine Software but I HATE its Midi Editing capabilites. Pro Tools is way better here too.

Most of my Drums are arranged and recorded in Maschine, routed to Aux Tracks into Pro Tools. For most of the other Sounds from Maschine i prefer to print them to audio into PT though. If the session is very big I print everything to audio. But 90% i work with PT as my main DAW and Maschine for my Drums & Sample Library.
Old 21st July 2016
Gear Addict

I use stand alone. Running plugin mode you loose ability to start/stop Maschines sequencer. There is a host transport mode but it takes over important sequencer functions on the hardware. It's easier to just work stand alone without all the setup hassles. Export the audio to your DAW when you are done sequencing in Maschine.

I think of my DAW as my recording studio. You work out your song during "rehearsal" and get all the sequencing done before going to the studio to record or track out the audio. There are various people who try to drag and drop midi to the DAW or use both Maschine sequencer and DAW sequencer at the same time and the workflow gets complicated and choppy this way. I would only use plugin mode if you are not using the Maschine sequencer.

Another way to work is to use stand alone and open the plugin when finished sequencing and route the audio to separate outs to the DAW and record real time. This way you have the song loaded in your DAW in case you need to make tweaks. You can use the DAW freeze as well.
Old 27th July 2016
I use Maschine and Logic.

I much prefer Logics full DAW editing tools to Maschine for musical parts, but prefer playing pads, the swing and processing in Machine, for drum parts. So I use it as a plugin inside Logic, mostly only for drums. Then drag n drop the parts into Logic to process further as audio. I don't really sample much music or instruments, so only use it occasionally for that. I also have 2 DAW controllers, so I'm good there.

I'm loving working this way, because;

1 it has a great library and expansion packs
2 I can quickly play in drum parts to get a skeleton groove going
3 Can easily swap out drum parts till I get the sound, feel and groove I'm going for
4 I'm less reliant on the mouse
Old 31st July 2016
Lives for gear

With the latest Maschine update I'm very happy with it as standalone for writing. I still do final mix in Studio One.
Old 25th August 2016
Here for the gear

I've also used maschine in logic on its own channel solely for the purpose of drums. I use the scene area in maschine and match it up to the time line of my project in logic. This helps with quick, on the fly beat editing. I can quickly add or drop out a drum sound or create a quick breakdown and not have to export anything because with the way NI allow you to mix in maschine makes it a lot easier and a lot quicker.
Old 27th August 2016
Deleted 86c3d96
Honestly, I don't care either way. It depends what I am doing. I can write in any DAW. I just play stuff in.

Last edited by Deleted 86c3d96; 27th August 2016 at 12:49 PM..
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Addict

Standalone's fine, until you want the flexibility of a timeline where you can actually move things around, freely. I think as a plugin, inside Reaper, is a really, really good workflow..... you can use Reaper's timeline instead of Scenes in Maschine..... especially when everything is routed right, which can take a bit of time to get right (there are Reaper Track Templates and Maschine Projects you can download where everything's set up for you)... you can choose sounds with Browse in "Maschine Mode"... and then just flip into MIDI Controller Mode to record the midi into Reaper.... totally flexible timeline. Any sound-tweaking can be done by flipping into Maschine Mode... and just recording all the midi right into Reaper. Really makes a world of difference, if you don't just want a patterned/looped track, being limited to patterns coming in on 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search