The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Any Plugins that slice a sample like an MPC?
Old 22nd June 2016
Here for the gear
Any Plugins that slice a sample like an MPC?

I'm trying to find a software alternative to using my MPC. I'm looking to be able to take a sample or loop and quickly chop it into 16 slices. Most samplers seem to have a auto-slice or transient seeking feature but not a quick slicer that chops it up in even fractions. Any ideas?
Old 22nd June 2016
Here for the gear

Simpler (Ableton) has this built in
Old 23rd June 2016
Lives for gear

Why not use the MPC software ? (I assume you mean alternative to MPC hardware ? )
Old 23rd June 2016
The standard slicer that comes with FL Studio can even do that.

I never saw the point though. If you can cut it in even timed slices then might as well just pick your favorite pieces & program as one hits. If I bother with slicing it's to capture every individual hit regardless of tempo or timing.
Old 23rd June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbongsilver View Post

I never saw the point though. If you can cut it in even timed slices then might as well just pick your favorite pieces & program as one hits. If I bother with slicing it's to capture every individual hit regardless of tempo or timing.
I am inclined to agree but I can't tell you how many times I really liked a sample but was on the fence about it. Instead of thinking much about it, I just recorded it, chopped out the loop, sliced it into 16 and made something totally different than if I chopped it myself. Or I just wouldn't use it. It's quick enough to where if it doesn't work, you didn't waste a ton of time. I am one who takes sample chopping very seriously, often spending more time chopping than it takes me to arrange my chops, but sometimes this just works so well.
Old 23rd June 2016
Lives for gear

Ableton Live audio to midi lets you chop it just like that.
Old 24th June 2016
Lives for gear

Maschine just got this feature, if youre asking about slicing a sample to the pads. let the sample play and tap each pad and what just played is now on that pad.
Old 24th June 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcLeb9 View Post
I'm trying to find a software alternative to using my MPC. I'm looking to be able to take a sample or loop and quickly chop it into 16 slices. Most samplers seem to have a auto-slice or transient seeking feature but not a quick slicer that chops it up in even fractions. Any ideas?
Slicex + kontakt
Old 25th June 2016
Gear Nut
TAL Sampler workflow and sound >
Old 25th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbongsilver View Post

Also when you chop things in equal parts it locks the break/loop in better.. That's the beauty in chopping, its so many ways to go about it
Old 26th June 2016
Here for the gear

A lot of people be sleeping on Logic's EXS24 Sampler. And you can lazy chop easily in Logic Pro X.
Old 28th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaymonJamez View Post
Simpler (Ableton) has this built in
No simpler does not have this built in, now you can do this in ableton but you have to slice an audio track but this can't be done within simpler it self, they should add this though...

Vice from New Sonic Arts does this pretty well...
Old 29th June 2016
+1 for Vice and Tal Sampler. Vice does the best job at auto slicing IMO. I usualy chop in vice then drag the slices into tal sampler to dirty it up
Old 1st July 2016
Gear Addict
I like Shortcircuit. It's old, but frigging good!
Old 16th May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayglo View Post
Slicex + kontakt
Slicex is pretty good. IMO it is a very good slicer... maybe the best, at least the best from all those that I have tried. If you start understanding the controls to navigate and zoom quickly in your waveform you will be amazed how fast you can work with Slicex. The controls and the handling is really well designed.

You can get a trial version here and it only costs like 70 bucks.
https://www.pluginboutique.com/produ...ler/204-Slicex
Old 16th May 2019
Lives for gear

I pretty much chop everything by hand still, though sometimes I actually still use ReCycle for specific things—i like that you can export a midi file that contains the original timing of something once sliced—you can then use it as a groove template.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search