The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Does size matter?
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Does size matter?

When it comes to monitor size, would it affect the overall outcome of a mix? At first I thought this seemed like a silly question but the more I thought about it the more I wanted to ask. Basically bigger woofer bigger sound different(better) mix? If thats the case, is my girlfriend right? Bigger is better?
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

i feel that the room has alot to do with it.....some monitors are just overkill in a small room
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

Yes
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Maniac

I know the acoustics of a room can really affect the sound but I'm asking is the larger the monitor the better the reference?
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

I have a really tough time mixing on monitors that are not 3-way.

I recently had to mix on pricey 2-way nearfields in a very well tuned room, and I was tearing my hair out.

The monitors I've been mixing on in my crib for the past 5 years have 8" woofers, 3+1/2" mids, and 2+1/2" tweeters. I'm constantly bugging my clients to tell me if the mixes are translating, and they always say yes.

But, I have high ceilings, and I mix at low levels.

Normally not a "size queen" but I gotta say, I need 3-ways for mixing.

--Eric Vincent @ Studio Curve Dominant
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

If your mixing hip hop without a subwoofer how on earth are you going to know whats going on in the subs? Even the best nearfileds dont reproduce enough low sub to tell you whats going on. You run a serious risk of mixes that are way too bass heavy or way too bass light. The mix should also translate well with the sub turned off, as well as on small speakers, but you gotta know what that low bottom is doing.
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Nut

for me , definetly yes ... but it depends on the room Acoustic Situation as well ... in my Control room , subwoofer Systems has been always end in desaster ... no matter how the woofer or Monitors settnigs was ( Genelec 1031 with 1092 )... my mixes always has, guess what , too less Bass !with the right amount of bass , the only thing you hear in my studio was a kinda bass sub soup

since i got my JBL 4435 Monitors ( Bi amplified) almost all mixes worked fine by the first try ... and i got the feeling i can "look" much better thru the music or all the signals ... the speakers work much more relaxed at certain Volumnes if u will so

if your room has the right size -go for it !

cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search