The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland V Synth
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Nut

Roland V Synth

Wondering if anyone own this unit, I have the oppurtunity to trade for a Motif es6 Quite frankly i am tired of the Motif, the sounds are no longer inspiring although its a good keyboard. Does this sound like a good trade economically and how are the Roland sounds. Thanks
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

i've had one for a couple of years, and love it. now, it's not the same type of animal as a motif, so i'd play with it a bit before you make the trade... depending on the sounds you like or are looking for
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by con?one View Post
i've had one for a couple of years, and love it. now, it's not the same type of animal as a motif, so i'd play with it a bit before you make the trade... depending on the sounds you like or are looking for
thanks...i have to find time to make it down to my local music store, but I dont want to lose out on the deal. I rarely use the motif nowadays, maybe for a patch or 2, I actually dig in the Roland xv-5050 more than the motif. Since I like the roland sounds I figure I trade for something that I can use quite more often . I guess I am concerned if the XT is a fair trade for the Motif es6.
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Maniac

i don't have one but have messed with a few, it's a blast to use, souds great and i great for tweaking sounds, but it's not a full blown workstation like the motif.

Old 7th February 2007
Gear Addict

V-Synth XT

I have the V-Synth XT. It's a very unique sounding synth. It definately has that Roland color which I like.

Virtual analog engine in it is pretty impressive. Great pads and synth bass patches. Also great vocoder and talkbox sound using the Vocal Designer card.
This thing is sound designer's dream synth if you are willing to spend the time to dig into it.

One of it's weak point is that you're limited to 24 polyphony. Although it has multi-channel function, you can forget about it. Also you can't play it's VC cards (D50 & Vocal Designer) simultaneously with it's synth and sample engine. You have to reboot to use one or the other.

Also Roland just announced V-Synth GT, the next generation V-Synth. So I'm sure they'll come out with the V-Synth GT Rack in a year or two. The new one has two engines so you can play VC cards and synth/sample engines together.

Hope this helps.
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Maniac

V-Synth XT

Just picked one up last week and loving it . Still going through the learning curve .
I wish they had a video tutorial .
Old 9th February 2007
Here for the gear

cant compare or in your case trade the Motif to the V-synth, and expect similar results - these are two different types of synths. If you need a synth/workstation combo with "bread and butter" sounds... stick with the Motif.

If you dont need bread and butter sounds or workstation conveniences of the Motif, then go head and shoot for the V. The XV-5080, although not a workstation its a true mult-timbral synth, if your looking for a workstation with these sounds, check out the Fantom X. But this is still a good module on its own if you already have a seqencer.

Dont expect the v-synth to handle multiple patches at once - although its 24 voices, effects eat those up very quickly, also all channels share MFX with channel 1, so other patches will not sound correctly unless its on channel 1.

Other then the above, V-synth is a beast, but not meant to replace a workstation lke the Motif.
Old 9th February 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi-tech View Post
cant compare or in your case trade the Motif to the V-synth, and expect similar results - these are two different types of synths. If you need a synth/workstation combo with "bread and butter" sounds... stick with the Motif.

If you dont need bread and butter sounds or workstation conveniences of the Motif, then go head and shoot for the V. The XV-5080, although not a workstation its a true mult-timbral synth, if your looking for a workstation with these sounds, check out the Fantom X. But this is still a good module on its own if you already have a seqencer.

Dont expect the v-synth to handle multiple patches at once - although its 24 voices, effects eat those up very quickly, also all channels share MFX with channel 1, so other patches will not sound correctly unless its on channel 1.

Other then the above, V-synth is a beast, but not meant to replace a workstation lke the Motif.

Thanks for the input, I decided not to trade mainly because the "voices" issue, I have the mpc 2500 so I dont really need the motif's sequencer but i do need to be able to sequence multiple voices. I actually lucked out and scored a Korg micro x for 350 yesterday so I got a new mini synth to distract me from trading the Motif.
I am going to end up selling the motif because I prefer roland sounds and my new micro x does not sound micro at all.
Peace to all!!
Old 11th February 2007
Gear Head

Haha, don't get the V-synth unless you have alot of time to distract you from your music making process, it requires daily jedi lessons..
Old 11th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomixx View Post
Haha, don't get the V-synth unless you have alot of time to distract you from your music making process, it requires daily jedi lessons..
The V-synth needs a Video TUTORIAL
Old 12th February 2007
Gear Head

Yeah if ever a unit did it's the V, they'd make a killing of it.
If you get a chance listen to what Rodney Jerkins did with it on MJ's last album & other stuff around 2000. Jaw dropping...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search