The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Oh MPC4k-brothers, where art thou? Dummy advice needed!
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Head

Oh MPC4k-brothers, where art thou? Dummy advice needed!

Greetings people, the grade A student of the school of Know-Nothings is back...

I just bought a bunch of new equipment, including the new MacPro, a couple of KILLER Dynaudio monitors, and the Pro Tools digi 002 rack

NOW; I just made my first beat on the new setup, and I really need to sync my mpc4000 with the digi 002 rack/pro tools in order to record down the drum tracks from my MPC....

How do I sync it? Any step-to-step guide in this thread will be highly appreciated! It's not much, but I'll be glad to post some drumkits or whatever just to say thanks (to those who want it)

Enjoy your day, people! Again, thanks a lot!
Old 5th February 2007
AON
Gear Addict

Try the MPC 4000 forum: http://www.mpc-forums.com/viewforum.php?f=2
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Head

Thanks, kind sir
Old 6th February 2007

call me anytime I'll walk you through it. I just spent FOREVER trying to solve the same issue so I know all there is to know. 615-977-4711
Old 7th February 2007
Here for the gear

i would say never never sync the mpc, i did extensive tests with this and I found the timing shifted whenever i slave the mpc to pro tools.
I personally print the mpc parts with its metronome click at the front then line them up in tools. if you set the metronome to play in record, hit record and play start then, before the sequence starts press record again, you get a perfect 4 click metronome reference before your first beat.
Also unless you have a adc that has a particularly great sound, or you are running through some analog gear, i would tend to record these parts internally on the mpc then transfer them to the mac via aksys.

You will also notice that pro tools bpms compared to that of the mpc are 0.01 slower.
so if your sequence in the mpc is 93.2 bpm you need to set it to 93.21 in pro tools for it to loop exactly the same.
at least this is the case on pt 6.4.1 tdm and mpc 4k 1.7x os

hope this a) makes sense
and b) is useful

peace.

www.myspace.com/cirkus
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

From my experience with the 4k and Pro Tools, Midi Time Code is the best way to go for sync. The higher resolution of the 4k seems to give inconsistent sync when using beat clock. I set my 4k to recieve Midi Time Code and the sync is tight.
Old 8th February 2007
Here for the gear

again, i would say the sync isn't the problem (it plays in time) but if you compare the groove of an unslaved mpc 4k and a slaved one, they are different, at least they are for me.
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Head

Thanks so much for this

I've noticed that the bpm on the mpc and PT ain't a 100% tight, whenever I recorded somethin' in pro tools from my mpc and let the mpc run for like 8 bars or more I could hear it slowly start to fall off the groove

That's effed up, but THANKS a bunch for the advice, people

I've synced the mpc up via midi with pro tools now, just doin' my drums on there and such, but the next time I record in my drums I'll set the bpm like you suggested, until I hook it up in a PROPER manner like some of you suggested.. Again, thanks!
Old 8th February 2007
no ssl yet
You could stripe a smpte track.
Old 9th February 2007
Gear Head

Let me get this right

you're sayin the delay is about 01, so if I wanna record a beat that's 187 bpm on my MPC the bpm-counter in Pro Tools should be set to 187.0100?

I work with a MPC4000 and pro tools LE 7.1.1 on the Mac Pro
Old 10th February 2007
Here for the gear

yes but my system only has .01 increments if i remember correctly (6.4.1 tdm)
you can probably get even closer seeing as you now have more decimal places to work to. just record a long section of the beat and use apple + i at the very start and at the very end (on beat 1 of the bar, or an easily identifiable transient) and it will tell you what tempo it thinks it is
hope this helps

www.myspace.com/cirKus - worth a look
Old 10th February 2007
Gear Head

Thanks so much for this

Since reading your post I've been recording all my beats in Pro Tools with the .0100 decimal haha... Trusting you guys blindly, in other words. It sound tighter now from what I can hear

Thanks again for the tips!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search