The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Biggest, baddest, most useful drum libraries for hip hop productions?
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyo View Post
Ok, so I'm looking for massive amounts of inspirational drum/percussion sounds to get working with. What are some of the best/biggest hip hop/r&b drum libraries out there? I was looking at stuff like Stylus RMX and Battery 3, but I don't really need pre made grooves or a virtual instrument software interface (it would be fine, but not required). Mostly just looking for a HUGE collection of drum sounds for a wide variety of hip hop/r&b tracks. Even just raw, single hit Wav files is fine by me, as long as there are lots of good sounds to mess around with.

Is there some kind of ginormous drum library that encompasses everything from old drum machines, retro tape saturated acoustic kits, to modern, slick ass 'production ready' samples? What should I look for in terms of 'ready to go' samples for a wide variety of styles? I have access to quite alot of acoustic, pristine, real kit sound libraries already, and I'm looking for some more hip hop inspired goodness!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've been looking around, and there are oceans of hip hop/r&b libraries, and I can imagine alot of them are pretty sub-par, or perhaps too specific/generic/cheesy to be used in serious production work.

thanks

halcyo
Switch your Stylus RMX into kit mode, and you have the baddest drum library in the world.
Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Nut

sounds in HD, Urban Fire, Native Instruments Machine sound banks are super nice
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

EVERYONE on this board has an opinion. My advice is to work with whatever you get. If you can't get it to do what you want, keeping working at it until you can.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

GS needs a "Groundhog Day" icon.

- c
Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Prod. View Post
Switch your Stylus RMX into kit mode, and you have the baddest drum library in the world.
My thoughts exactly. I use Stylus RMX almost 100% in kit mode.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Hey, I've never used Stylus. What's kit mode?
Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Addict

Kit mode are all the one shots that are used in the different grooves. Additioned with 1000s of one shots packed as different genres in style. For example a 808 /909 folder. I just posted in another thread something about StylusRMX:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-h...hsizers-2.html
Old 22nd November 2009
Here for the gear

I was gonna say the same thing. Stylus has hundreds, if not a thousand or so drum hits. I rarely use it for loops. I tend to stack my kicks and snares anyway, and dont usually use pre-made kits. Stylus has 20 or 30 menus of kicks alone. Then 20 to 30 menus of snares, and claps, and hats and so on. Battery is great too. They both let you incorporate your own samples with their libraries and edit them all together. I use em both everyday. Deveolping your drum library is an ongoing process, but either of those is a good place to start.
Old 24th February 2016
Here for the gear

Def i recommend
1. Modernbeats.com all libraries including the vintage it has the 808 809 etc
2. vengance sounds it will cover edm electro pop etc
3. superior drummer covers rock reggae ska etc
4 vintage expansion for refx nexus it has some killer analog kicks and sample very cool must have

these are my list and it covers any idea i may want to achieve
(please note that eq, distortion rev etc can also help in making any of these samples a more powerfull sample)
i recommend fab filters and izotope trash 2

https://soundcloud.com/djgatoimp
Old 26th February 2016
Gear Head

Yeah dude pretty much every library you download will sound over compressed. (Not that you can't layer them) but sonically speaking you can't beat the drums you sampled yourself. Just pick up some funk/soul records and look for hits that stand out
Old 26th February 2016
The record store man...
Old 2nd March 2016
Why does everyone nowadays want breaks just given to them on a usb stick, go digging for beats!
Old 2nd March 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Ok, so I'm looking for massive amounts of inspirational drum/percussion sounds to get working with. What are some of the best/biggest hip hop/r&b drum libraries out there? I was looking at stuff like Stylus RMX and Battery 3, but I don't really need pre made grooves or a virtual instrument software interface (it would be fine, but not required). Mostly just looking for a HUGE collection of drum sounds for a wide variety of hip hop/r&b tracks. Even just raw, single hit Wav files is fine by me, as long as there are lots of good sounds to mess around with.

Is there some kind of ginormous drum library that encompasses everything from old drum machines, retro tape saturated acoustic kits, to modern, slick ass 'production ready' samples? What should I look for in terms of 'ready to go' samples for a wide variety of styles? I have access to quite alot of acoustic, pristine, real kit sound libraries already, and I'm looking for some more hip hop inspired goodness!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've been looking around, and there are oceans of hip hop/r&b libraries, and I can imagine alot of them are pretty sub-par, or perhaps too specific/generic/cheesy to be used in serious production work.

thanks

halcyo
Whats your genre of hip hop?

Honestly just about any drum library can be useful for hip hop.

Some of my favorites:

1. "Free Lex Luger kits online"

A lot of these are perfect for Trap and are pretty much what many of the trap producers are using. Most are just 808s with a little extra processing.

2. Old Vinylistics Sample CDs

Great for Boom Bap and also have most classic drum machine sounds as well.

3. Bangingbeats libraries

Kits have a certain weight to them that works well for Boom Bap, Contemporary Hip Hop, and even Trap.

4. Soundcrafting kits

They were based out of Atlanta but went out of business. They had some good kits for Trap, Boom Bap and a wide variety of styles. Many of the hits were edited sloppily but with most DAWs you can tweak pretty easily.

5. Maschine Libraries.

Maschine has a great drum selection that works with various styles. The paid for libraries are great as well.

6. Gold Baby stuff

They are heavily processed and works well for a lot of genres. The Tape 808 is great.

7. Drums pulled off of your favorite rap/R&b/Rock albums

This is pretty much the classic way many producers got their drums in the day.

8. Drums sampled off of drum machines/sound modules

Also another way many producers got their sounds.

From there it is just finding the right hits, layering if needed and processing your drums to get them to hit right.j

These days Drums is one of the easiest things to get right or in the ballpark due to all of the good libraries online and the ease of sampling stuff with most DAWs.
Old 7th March 2016
I'd say your best bet is to look for old DJ battle/fx records... the ones meant for turntablists to practice sets with.

There are a billion of these... the older ones have some massive grooves on them.

That, and sample hits off old records, cds... whatever. Cassette tapes are dirt cheap and are great too. Make your own kits. Layer and program those layers. Learn to process samples to get the sound you want.
Old 7th March 2016
Lives for gear

Peace, ok, I am telling you from years of experience, you should build your own drum library. Its not going to be over night either. If you can mix and match drums each day, say like 20, in a years time you will have lots of hot drums. Take a kick from a sample and take another kick from another sample, put them together to see how they sound, play with the volume a little, slide one back just a tad bit, etc. Experiment like that with snares, claps, hats etc. That's what I have done. Throw some effects on them. Get a sound in your head and try to get as close as you can.

That's what I have done and the best thing is when I made my drums they come out better than what I had in my head and they add inspiration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khameln View Post
That ginormous library is the one you yourself will have to build :D There is no one library that has the best in all styles, but by finding the diamonds in the strongest sets in each category, and learning what you like and combining everything you've found, you will create your own set over time.

Assuming you're not in the game of finding your own vinyl samples and processing them yet (I'm not either)... As far as stuff to look for in track-ready drum samples, you want samples that:

1) Have "weight". This is hard to describe, but you will learn to hear it. The drums on the top commercial recordings have a kind of solidity and mass to them that is more than just being "loud". There are a lot of samples out there that as limited to hell and back, but aren't "round" and "full" at all. Be careful.

2) Don't have quality issues. This includes overcompession, lack of definition, bad editing (incomplete transients and/or tails), etc. There are a LOT of these out there, so you will have to be very picky when choosing drums and do a lot of A/B.

While keeping the above in mind, one important thing I've learned is; don't look for samples that are *too* clean. I used to throw out snares and kicks that had hi-hats chopped with them, etc. But lately I've found that these little imperfections are some of the things that give hip-hop tracks their feel... So while you want quality drums, don't feel like everything has to sound like it was mic'ed in isolation with $10,000 worth of mics in a topnotch studio. It's a balance.

As far as "ready" samples, gotchanoddin is one of the best I've found so far... I've heard good things about Big Fish, but haven't splurged for them yet. The plugsound drums are also very high quality, although I wish they had a little more diversity to them.

Other than that, I've gone through the more well-known sets like BanginBeats and ModernBeats to pick out the gems. In those sets, about 19/20 sounds (or more) are pretty bad, but if you hunt you can find a few that are really solid and useable, and then add them to your collection. It's a lot of work to go through them all, but this is what you're going to have to get used to if you really want to buld a solid, personal library.

Finding really good, quality drum sounds that suit your own personal tastes is more of an ongoing quest than just a matter of picking a single set or two and hitting the 'Buy!' button. So be prepared to be in it for the long haul heh

Anyhow, good luck.

Quote:

thanks

halcyo

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search