The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lo-fi.
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Lo-fi.

Hello,

I'm a newbie here.... And there also

My problem is that I found out my beats sound better when played "lo-fi". I mean > This is my soundclick site: http://www.soundclick.com/3ds and I believe they sound a bit better when played at "lo-fi mp3" than "hi-fi". >>> and the question:

What plugin should I use to achieve the "lo-fi" effect. I want something between soundlick's hi-fi and lo-fi

Thanks. Peace.
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

i used to use hyperprism's sonic decimator.
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

And what do you use now? Thanks for reply.
Old 2nd February 2007
Gear Maniac

what are the spec's of lo-fi mp3 on sound click?

try converting a finished beat w/ that setting. get you close.

if you NEED the sound-click lo-fi verbatum, then use an app like audio hijack to record an uploaded beat from sound-click.

also, what gear do you use to create your beats?
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

I have E-MU 1212m, Ableton Live, SC4 and other rather uninteresting stuff like SP VTB-1 and SP B1. Peace.
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds-ds View Post
Hello,

I'm a newbie here.... And there also

My problem is that I found out my beats sound better when played "lo-fi". I mean > This is my soundclick site: http://www.soundclick.com/3ds and I believe they sound a bit better when played at "lo-fi mp3" than "hi-fi". >>> and the question:

What plugin should I use to achieve the "lo-fi" effect. I want something between soundlick's hi-fi and lo-fi

Thanks. Peace.
before making all my beats "lo-fi" i would find out why ur beats don't sound good played normally and correct the problem. then you can add lo-fi to individual beat elements to taste. try Izotope Vinyl (its free!) and i hear great things about OtiumFX Sonitex
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

"before making all my beats "lo-fi" i would find out why ur beats don't sound good played normally and correct the problem."

I don't think that's the problem. I just want my beats sound more gritty (I think that's the word. grimey ? hmm. right word?? _nevermind. More lo-fi. Not - fully lo fi. Just a bit. And I don't want vinyl emulation. But - thanks for trying to help.

Ah...I know it's hard to describe the sound
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Track the beat from a Casio FZ10m sampler...thats the grit!
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Stitch good call!

Also try:

http://www.camelaudio.com/camelcrusher.php

AND

http://www.sonalksis.com/index.php?section_id=103

One is free and the other you can demo for 30 days.
Old 2nd February 2007
Gear Head

Bitcrushing or Downsampling plug-ins might help you out with that lo-fi sound, maybe even some fuzz or light clip distortion. For some free options, , try FuzzPlus 2 by audio damage (AU/VST), BitModder (AU/VST I think), or Decimate and Chebyshev (AU/VST) by SoundHack. Hope this helps.
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Thank you! I will try them.

And I know - you guys have a great gear but what would you suggest me to get next. I don't have much, neither I have much money. Like I said I have PC, E-MU 1212m, SC4, SP VTB-1, SP B1, crappy Creative Prodikeys midi keyboard , Vestax pdx 2000mk2, Omnitronic dj-200 pro dj-mixer, Koss UR20 headphones

I make rap music based mainly on samples. I look for that rather lo-fi sound....What would you suggest me to buy next? Maybe - asrX? ... Peace.
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

maybe an ASR10 or a EPS16+? just tossing ideas here
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for all answers. So there are no "modern" samplers which can be compared to Ensoniq ASR 10 and EPS16+? MPC's?
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by azwun25 View Post
try Izotope Vinyl (its free!)
Agreed. Fun plug-in.
Old 3rd February 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds-ds View Post
Thanks for all answers. So there are no "modern" samplers which can be compared to Ensoniq ASR 10 and EPS16+? MPC's?

It's about the technic inside, mainly the chip(set)s. those make the sound so dirty.

I'd also recommend an SP12 or an Akai S950.... we got both and use them mainly for drumsets.

12 bit sample rates sounds dirty enough for me :-)
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

Searching does wonders.....this has been discussed multiple times here before

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...ht=bit+crusher
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks! Peace.
Old 11th June 2007
Lives for gear

So, when I created that thread, I was only dreaming at having such machine as Ensoniq ASR-10. After couple of months I bought it. It didn't arrive yet but it will soon. It has SCSI card installed and 16 megs of memory Today I bought some CD-ROM drive to it. I found some nice rather cheap offers. And I feel like a little dream is fulfilling. Little cause there are many bigger dreams like the Wife (nope - not yet ) and a Family...Just wanted to tell you about it and thank for helping me. Peace.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search