The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
De-essing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 25th September 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCD View Post
That the type of tip i'm looking for... good looks... hard to find stuff for this Intel Mac tho...
Are you on crack? Mac Intel is the standard pro audio platform.. most plugins worth their salt are available for OS X Intel.
Old 25th September 2009
Lives for gear

I am on crack and let me tell you, I can find software for a mac.

Anyway, my experience is that no de-esser really does the job right without degrading the vocal quality. Step one for me is automation - generally when I'm doing vocals (I usually do those last) automation is the first step. Unless there's a shiz ton of vocal backups, in which case I do a sum mix and then automate. It seems like a lot of work, but it really makes the rest of the vocal mixing a breeze even outside of the esses.

If it's still a problem (9 out of 10 times it won't be) I may try a de-esser, or simply just some eq, or a multiband. De-essers basically only hit the highs - and never seem to function correctly on wideband mode. The problem with only hitting the highs is then the subtones of the ess stick out - and rather than having a bright annoying ess, you have a dark, flat, annoying ess.

Sibilance sucks.
Old 1st December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCD
That the type of tip i'm looking for... good looks... hard to find stuff for this Intel Mac tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotekells View Post
Are you on crack? Mac Intel is the standard pro audio platform.. most plugins worth their salt are available for OS X Intel.
That post is from February 2007 (almost three years ago). Perhaps you should try some crack for yourself.
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sannytown View Post
Quote: Perhaps you should try some crack for yourself.
Dude!!! Stop bogarting the pipe, pass it! Remember: puff, puff, pass.
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

sssssssssssssss and ****ing ssssssssss
Old 1st December 2009
I hate esses, and I have the worst mic and worst pre for Sibilance.
Old 4th October 2013
Here for the gear

I also suggest using the Renaissance DeEsser from Waves. It is super intuitive and precise. If you want to go even further with a little agressive sibilance suppression while maintaining a natural sound, you can always automate the plugin's bypass to turn the plugin on when you really need it. RDeEsser is my favorite one...
Old 4th October 2013
Lives for gear

I know you need mixing tips, but this is what I do to reduce sibilance when I get on the mic during recording. I spit to the side of the mic and not too much into it. Sibilance is caused by the breath of air passing from the mouth to the mic forcefully. We emphasize the S when spoken so the air comes compressed and shoots into the mic like a bullet. I do a trick by putting the mic in a corner and rap so my voice would bounce off the walls and into the mic.
Old 4th October 2013
Old 4th October 2013
Gear Nut

I saw an interesting video not to long ago (Grammy award winning engineer, etc etc) he explained that after compression sibilance is the least compressed of the range and also changes tonally the least regardless of volume in the performance. So in this particular video dude deessed after compression. (For that particular mix his chain looked like; comp->deesser->eq->comp->desser). I have tried this method with pretty good results. Not for every mix but in some. Ashes has worked very well for me. Just be careful not to over do it...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search