The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Making live instruments sound like SYNTHS
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Nut

Making live instruments sound like SYNTHS

im fascinated in attempting to take live instruments such as bass and guitars.....and making them sound synth like...almost like a moog-like synth....anyone ever experiment with this type of stuff help me out with some tips...
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by affinitysound View Post
im fascinated in attempting to take live instruments such as bass and guitars.....and making them sound synth like...almost like a moog-like synth....anyone ever experiment with this type of stuff help me out with some tips...
Look at the Moogerfooger and the Electrix stuff.

http://www.moogmusic.com/
http://www.electrixpro.com/products/index.html

(not affilliated, etc etc),
++aldo
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Sherman Filterbank is a good one.
Other things like the SPL Transient Designer or the Eventide H3000 are great for warping out stuff. I put stuff through the Drum Processor patches in the H3000 and loved it. WTF did I sell the H3000 for
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

theres tons of plugins for that. from my experience the saying "garbage in, garbage out" still applies. even if they go through 100 plugins it still sounded bad for me if i recorded wiouth paying attention to making the bass or guitar sound good in the 1st place.

also, u can record like a good guitar riff and chop it up to small pieces and when u used them in a sampler it sounds really diferent becuae you chop up ots attack realease etc . and add fxs.

the good thing for me is that it makes my songs sound more like mine, instead of grabbign stuff from a sample library or ripping it from a Cd.

if u want a magic efx then try:

Camel Space. play w. the presets and bounce a part then choip it and added to a sampler.

Glitch. same deal as camel space.

moogerfooger, i think its ringmodulator will do the trick.

and finally

"transform" from sonicvibes.com.

cheap and its basically a plugin to add a synth or more synth to skinny little VSTi synth by adding more LFOs, ringmodulation, waveshaping etc to the incoming audio signal.
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilbers View Post
"transform" from sonicvibes.com.

cheap and its basically a plugin to add a synth or more synth to skinny little VSTi synth by adding more LFOs, ringmodulation, waveshaping etc to the incoming audio signal.
Are you sure about that link? I've been looking for something like that, but it seems like that domain name is owned by a hosting service
Old 2nd February 2007
cpu
Gear Addict

I like my Electro Harmonix Bass Micro Synth pedal. It's fun stuff.
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

NI Guitar Rig
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by khameln View Post
Are you sure about that link? I've been looking for something like that, but it seems like that domain name is owned by a hosting service
oops my bad

http://sinevibes.com/

$20 bucks and u can try the demo 1st
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

MF-101 (filter)
MF-102 (ring mod)
MF-107 (oscilator)

Add some overcompression to squash some dynamics, and you'll be a good way there too! I found an Eventide 910 could make some stuff sound... weird.
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

soundtoys crystallizer, i believe.
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Addict

guitar rig 2 is really cool, theres lots of synth like things you can do to incoming audio. like asdr envelopes etc. check it out.
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

the "lo-fi" plugin can do some cool stuff to a live signal... mixed with metaflanger and maybe enigma you can really do some wierd ish

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search