The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Thinking too much
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Maniac

Thinking too much

I've noticed alot of trends in this forum... i know it's a forum for people to discuss the production of hip music... but i think alot of you guys SERIOUSLY overthink the process of creation.

Especially when it comes to making a sound.

You shouldnt strive to make a kick "like the one timbo used in _____ track"... maybe you should experiment and try doing something completly original with your arrangements and your kick sounds.

I swear if i see another thread about "how does _____ producer create such a hollow but boomy kick"... my head is going to explode.

Originality and versatility is key in this man, at least when it comes to the talent portion of the game

sorry just venting.
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

no worries man...i was on this board before there was a hiphop specific board...needless to say i was thrilled when the experimental hiphop section became permanent. unfortunately i watched it deteriorate to the stuff you're talking about. however, there still is the occasional good thread but its turned into alot of "fan related" **** like the okayplayer forum. hey whaddya gonna do?
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by azwun25 View Post
no worries man...i was on this board before there was a hiphop specific board...needless to say i was thrilled when the experimental hiphop section became permanent. unfortunately i watched it deteriorate to the stuff you're talking about. however, there still is the occasional good thread but its turned into alot of "fan related" **** like the okayplayer forum. hey whaddya gonna do?
cant do much of anything i suppose

o well
*waits for next "how to" thread*
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriscain View Post
I've noticed alot of trends in this forum... i know it's a forum for people to discuss the production of hip music... but i think alot of you guys SERIOUSLY overthink the process of creation.

Especially when it comes to making a sound.

You shouldnt strive to make a kick "like the one timbo used in _____ track"... maybe you should experiment and try doing something completly original with your arrangements and your kick sounds.

I swear if i see another thread about "how does _____ producer create such a hollow but boomy kick"... my head is going to explode.

Originality and versatility is key in this man, at least when it comes to the talent portion of the game

sorry just venting.

beeing curious about how something is done doesn't always mean you want to copy it.
but i know what you mean.
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriscain View Post
In order to be original, versatile, *and* at the top of your game, you have do your homework. Anybody can do their own thing and claim to be "original", but to be original *and* really good you're usually evolving your style out of established elements instead of just trying to pull a rabbit out of thin air.

Have you ever considered that by learning how Timbo creates his kick, I might learn 2-3 techniques that I can then take and modify and use in my own way, to create my *own* kick sound? Or maybe to use for a totally different sound that's not even a kick?

You shouldn't be so worried about how other people learn... It's good that they are digging for the answers, becuase that's how they will accumulate enough knowledge to build upon. Then one day, you might be surprised at how some of the people that were "overthinking" things end up passing you up!
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Totally agree w/ the last two posts. Trying to match "pro" sounds is often the fastest and most enriching road to creating your own stuff, IMO.
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Niedt View Post
Totally agree w/ the last two posts. Trying to match "pro" sounds is often the fastest and most enriching road to creating your own stuff, IMO.

Word, totally agree. And I am all for originality.
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Maniac

lol welcome to rap in the 21st century...

imo, hip hop & rap are 2 different things... hip hop = originality, rap = temporary pop trends... copycats. it just doesnt apply to making beats, it applies in every aspect. i agree w/ the point that ppl shouldn't be so worried about other producers/artists & their techniques - experiment on your own. every time i see these "how did ______" threads, there's 10 different opinions on how the person created what's sought for....

asking "how can i make _______ have a ____ sound" is different than "how did dre make so & so"..... if u have an original idea & want to know how to get that exact sound, i'm fine w/ that.... but if you're trying to mimic someone else's, get your own style.
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluency View Post
lol welcome to rap in the 21st century...

imo, hip hop & rap are 2 different things... hip hop = originality, rap = temporary pop trends...
I don't really want to start an offtopic debate, but this argument is tired, and not true at all. Hip-hop is a culture, which has implications far beyond vocal delivery and songs... And rap is a form of vocal delivery, which can be used in any number of ways and may or may not have anything to do with "temporary pop trends".

People need to stop worrying so much about complaining about other people and putting things in superficial categories, and just go out and make their own good music!
Old 2nd February 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by khameln View Post
People need to stop worrying so much about complaining about other people and putting things in superficial categories, and just go out and make their own good music!

... isn't that complaining about other ppl?

lol no hard feelins, but that's why i began by sayin "imo"... i'm not sayin this or that is technically correct, i'm statin my opinion.

yea, dj'ing, b-boying, graffiti, etc is hip hop, but it's also mc'ing.... when i think of mc'ing, i think of rakim, talib, rakim, krs... not d4l, dem franchize boyz, yung joc, etc... so for me, my definition of hip hop is distinguished from bubblegum rap. i don't hear "shake that laffy taffy" & say "DAMN, that's real hip hop".
Old 2nd February 2007
If I can add my 2c of opinion, as a 'rocker' doing indie rock & pop - its Hip Hop that seems to me to be one of the most innovative music genres there is.

So keep on with the good work of innovation!

Old 2nd February 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
If I can add my 2c of opinion, as a 'rocker' doing indie rock & pop - its Hip Hop that seems to me to be one of the most innovative music genres there is.

Rock On !
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

ignorance is bliss, but if you can make a kick knock like storch, timbo or neptunes, then you are at a good starting point to create your own original sound. it's the best way to learn. that's why sax players memorize coltrane and bird solos.

copy, copy, copy, emulate, emulate, emulate, deviate, deviate, deviate.
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by azwun25 View Post
cosign...

the hip hop forum has really gone down hill in hurry lately. I still pop in occasionally to look for a decent thread but its really been bogged down lately with a bunch of totally useless s**t
Old 2nd February 2007
Gear Head

I think urban music has fast become a haven for 16year olds, and urban production for the ones that have downloaded Reason...
Old 2nd February 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomixx View Post
I think urban music has fast become a haven for 16year olds, and urban production for the ones that have downloaded Reason...
yes, maybe you´re right. but if 5 percent of these dfegad pissing apes got talent and stay up with learning, getting open minded in direction to other music genres and doin more and more good music, i couldn´t see any problem with that...everyone has to start somewhere...

for the other 95% i often wish themselfs a "mute-button"
Old 2nd February 2007
EYE
Here for the gear

Not to be offensive, but complaining about the "going down" of the forum doesn't really uplift the quality of content of the forum.

Yes, there are a lot of people posting BS in here, but wouldn't it be better to ignore them instead of giving a senseless comment?

Ontopic: Yes, originality is the key, but to get original you'll need to know the tools of the trade and often this is learned by mimicking the work of others and finding out how they did it.

On the other hand I agree that a lot of the newer cats try to completely copy the style and sound of an artist they love (and who sells well) just to "create a huge hit, like the copied artist". The latter isn't gonna work most of the times imho, since a copy is almost alway a bad imitation of the original.
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post

Definitely. That's part of why I've moved from indie to more urban music. The constant evolution in urban music seems absent from practically anything else, IMO.
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Niedt View Post
Definitely. That's part of why I've moved from indie to more urban music. The constant evolution in urban music seems absent from practically anything else, IMO.
+1...there is no other music style (i know) that has this variety of instruments, sounds, scales etc. from acoustic instruments to synths to human sounds.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search