The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
1176 plug in help for vocals
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Head

1176 plug in help for vocals

Im trying to get a nice sound for my vocals and im using the 1176 plug in.
I am not really getting the sound I want. Why?
I don't really like the manual it came with online, I need help?

Input?
Output?
attack?
release?
ratio?
meter?

What should I be looking for on the meter can someone give me some advice on the settings.???

Thanks in advance
Old 31st January 2007

Do a general search and learn about compression.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

WHICH 1176 plug in?
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley View Post
WHICH 1176 plug in?

The uad 1176 mono
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

SE or LN?

Sorry, just had too!!

Anyways I too use a UAD card with said plugins, and others.....really been digging the Fairchild on Vox latley.

I have used the 1176LN on vocals on occasion. Asfaras settings! There are 5 paramaters that can be controlled. Sometimes I like to drive the input, and backoff on the output, to get a different, more aggresive sound. I normally dont do vocal ratios higher than 8:1. Usaully 4:1. Attack, release? Depends on song and performance, but on fast rappers, fast settings, slower guys, maybe slower, and singer are mainly slow.

YMMV

I suggest you read the link Tony B supplied above, and find out more about compression.
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Head

[QUOTE=s.d.finley;1102631]
I have used the 1176LN on vocals on occasion. Asfaras settings! There are 5 paramaters that can be controlled. Sometimes I like to drive the input, and backoff on the output, to get a different, more aggresive sound. I normally dont do vocal ratios higher than 8:1. Usaully 4:1. Attack, release? Depends on song and performance, but on fast rappers, fast settings, slower guys, maybe slower, and singer are mainly slow.

QUOTE]

Thanks for the help,

but this is where i have questions, that I can't find on this or any other site
1) What is the input and output in reguards to compression?
2) what would be considerd fast settings on this type of compressor.
3) what am i looking for in the vu meter?

Thanks again
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley View Post
SE or LN?

Sorry, just had too!!

Anyways I too use a UAD card with said plugins, and others.....really been digging the Fairchild on Vox latley.

YMMV

I suggest you read the link Tony B supplied above, and find out more about compression.
Thanks for the help,

but this is where i have questions, that I can't find on this or any other site
1) What is the input and output in reguards to compression?
2) what would be considerd fast settings on this type of compressor.
3) what am i looking for in the vu meter?

Thanks again
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

The input knob just increases the input to the 1176. So, if you had a softly spoken vocal, that had a low output, you could crank up the input, which would cause the compressor to compress MORE.

The output knob increases (or decreses depending on how you use it, same with the input too) the output of the compressor, so you can make-up the db reduction of the 1176.

Fast setting, the 1176 are backwards in the regard of fast/slow, so "7" I believe is fast, and "1" is slow. As for the actual speed in millaseconds.....I dont know, but I am sure you can find it in the manual.

What I like to look for in the VU meter is very low gain reduction, when compressing vocals, as in -3 or less. Although sometimes I like to slam the sh it outta something, like a room mic for a live drumkit.

As always, YMMV. Some people like to slam everything. Not me. For me it depends...
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Do a general search and learn about compression.
This is really good advice
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

I find that plug sounds good with attack at 6 and release 7... 8:1 - 12:1

triming about 8-10db's on voice... sometimes more... but usually I'll use a series of comps before I do that.

sometimes I like letting more attack so I'll bring it around 4-5... release slower as well

I'll always bring the output HOT... I think this is where that plugin sounds best.

I use the real version and not the plug anymore... but I remember the love!!!

The UAD LA2A is very cool when running HOT.

It's all about the output I dig.

Jason
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Head

thanks for the help
But can someone give me a example of a fast setting for fast rapper.

im kind of confused now because someone said that a release of 7 was fast
but on the 1176 it is the longest release possible.

also should I be looking for a gain reduction of -3 or more towards -10

Thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search