The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Game "Da ****" Snare...
Old 30th January 2007
Game "Da ****" Snare...

Somebody tell which preset I can get that snare from please??...............................................................................................................

JOKE!!
Is this the loudest snare ever? man this snare just straight bangs...If I listen on my Ipod I always have to turn it down as it hurts the ears!

I know when I listen to my ruff mixes with no comp on the snare they can sound like that (extra dynamic), but this has been comp'd and mastered, how they manage to make it bang so hard?

Sounds like some very clever equing is invoved. Also the lows are well done on this track too.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Well, it's been mastered by somebody with a reputation for somebody for mastering really hot drums/songs :D

I think part of it is an illusion, because

1) The snare is mixed loud, relative to everything else, which is typical of dre-style tracks

2) The initial transient on the drum is a very sharp (point), and is always given "room" to cut through the mix when it hits. Possibly it's sidechained?

3) The drum is pretty wide, it's clearly in "stereo" and this gives it a bigger effect

and

4) The drum has a sizeable sonic 'tail' following the initial drum hit that adds to that "gunshot" effect, which again makes it seem larger.

Combine all this with a mastering engineer that's an expert at maximing the loudness of important frequencies, and you have a winner.

I've been working on some snares like this, and although I don't have an expert mastering engineer for hiphop, I think the new tracks I'll put up soon will have some serious punch.

Besides the mastering, it's kind of like sleight of hand; everything else around the snare has an effect on how the snare itself sounds, so if you want a certain sound you have to worry about the effect that everything surrounding it has on the snare itself. This goes for pretty much anything you want to stand out in a a mix.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
I know when I listen to my ruff mixes with no comp on the snare they can sound like that (extra dynamic), but this has been comp'd and mastered, how they manage to make it bang so hard?
i think you gave yourself the answer. if it doesn't sound like there was a lot of compression then probably because there wasn't a lot of compression (but maybe this is completely wrong. would be nice to know what was done). + the mixes are heavily clipped, which will affect the snare and kick the most.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...t=55264&page=3

^^in this thread brian gardner wrote (maybe you missed the thread):

"Dre is just not one to let compression screw his mixes up"

^^this is a reference to what khameln wrote (dre style).

but the track "da ****" wasn't produced by dre. don't know who mixed it.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Dj Khalil produced it. A super-cool guy and warm personality. He definitely did it in the vein of Dre influence. Steve Baughman mixed it.

Also, I forgot to mention it in the last post, but there are 2 distinct transients in a 'flam'... one on the left and one on the right. I'm listening again right now... Dig how much is cut out of the bass and guitar, which are practically mixed into the background compared to the snare. The snare is FAR out front of everything else. I'm suspecting SSL smack too, or at least transient designer or something like that... Doesn't sound like a "natural" transient.

But like defjamm said, if it was mastered by bbBG then who knows what vile trickery was at work heh

Also, are you sure you are setting the attack/release times on your 2buss comp correctly to let the snare hits through?
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:

I'm gonna try sidechaining the snare out of the 2bus comp tonight and see what happens.

How would one do that?
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by khameln View Post
Dj Khalil produced it. A super-cool guy and warm personality. He definitely did it in the vein of Dre influence. Steve Baughman mixed it.

Also, I forgot to mention it in the last post, but there are 2 distinct transients in a 'flam'... one on the left and one on the right. I'm listening again right now... Dig how much is cut out of the bass and guitar, which are practically mixed into the background compared to the snare. The snare is FAR out front of everything else. I'm suspecting SSL smack too, or at least transient designer or something like that... Doesn't sound like a "natural" transient.

But like defjamm said, if it was mastered by bbBG then who knows what vile trickery was at work heh

Also, are you sure you are setting the attack/release times on your 2buss comp correctly to let the snare hits through?
khameln,
droppin science. i had to go check out your tracks after reading this response. your tracks are bangin. what kind of system are you working on? do you do mix work?

q
Old 31st January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by khameln View Post

Definately, but can't say my snares are hitting like this, but I'm not necessary trying to do that anyway.

Ps...Had a listen to some of your beats also, and yeah man you got some nice ish going on, with the different flavours and that. Kinda reminds me alittle of my styles also..your mix game sounds pretty good as well..you sold any of them beats yet?
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincyg View Post
khameln,
droppin science. i had to go check out your tracks after reading this response. your tracks are bangin. what kind of system are you working on? do you do mix work?
Quote:
Ps...Had a listen to some of your beats also, and yeah man you got some nice ish going on, with the different flavours and that. Kinda reminds me alittle of my styles also..your mix game sounds pretty good as well..you sold any of them beats yet?
Thanks guys... To answer the questions, for the tracks on soundclick/myspace I was at home on a PC using Reason for all of the production. I'm mixing in SONAR here at the place.

As far as mixing, I'm not that great yet. I've learned a lot and took a lot of time to do my homework, but I've been at producing/mixing less than a year, and so it takes time to actually tune your ears and put all of that knowledge to use. As you can probably tell, the first 5 or so tracks are newest. But I think the next batch I put up will sound better than the last (I used the techniques I was talking about for the snare on some tracks I haven't mixed yet, that I will put up soon).

As for selling tracks, I'm talking to people from a couple of independents about some of the music from that page. Nothing major yet, I'm just starting to get my promotion train going.
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

impressive for 1 yr. i'm kinda keeping an ear out for folks that could improve on some of my mixes. let me know if you might want to take a crack at a track. it's indie stuff so i am paying for stuff out of pocket...money is kind of smallish. i get a bit too complex with mixes sometimes. hit me up if you want to talk about it.

q
Old 1st February 2007
i still dont understand why some kats want to sound like other producers whether its dre, stortch or whoever
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

I don't think if somebody asks for a tip on a part of somebody else production style, they're necessarily doing it because they want their overall production to sound like that person.

Nothing is really new; everything is just pieces of different things that have been done over time, put together in a different way. Music is an evolution, and in order to build your own style you have to first learn from the masters, the same way the current generation learned by imitating Primo, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, Marl, Teddy Riley, and everybody else.

Take some storch strings, a dre snare, some timbo syncopation, Just Blaze-style fanfare, and put it all together and eventually it starts to morph into a totally different style that sounds like YOU.

It's just like mixing... You learn by listening to the best and seeing what they use to get their sound. It doesn't mean that you're going to come out mixing exactly like Tony Maserati, but it's by having that foundation to build on that you allow yourself to reach a high level and create your own statement.

If you want to be the best, you have to learn from the best. Then you take the knowledge, put your own twist on it, and use it in your own way.

If you don't want to be the best, then by all means go ahead and try creating stuff out of thin air... But most of the producers that are at the top of the industry today spent a lot of time doing their homework and learning to imitate their predecessors and mentors first.
Old 1st February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate Muzik View Post
i still dont understand why some kats want to sound like other producers whether its dre, stortch or whoever
Bruv...you gonna have to learn to read, co's ain't nobody in this post talked about how to get that sound...I'm curious how...with all the squashing that goes on in today mixes..they managed to keep the snare so dynamic, and if anyone else feels this is a little too dynamic for the Ipod generation...that's all.

As you will se from my original post I made joke about where to get the snare, co's I knew it would get some backs up. If I really want my snare to hit like that I know I could with work and the right selection, but I don't feel that would work for every track, more for this kinda laid back west coast style.

I go way back, to the begining of Hip Hop and actually tired my hand at producing back in 89 - 93. Then resurfaced in 2001. Personally I think it's sad how new skool hip hop producers have reduced this to "you stole my snare sound" what ever happened to music!
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Personally I think it's sad how new skool hip hop producers have reduced this to "you stole my snare sound" what ever happened to music!
Quote of the week right there!
Old 1st February 2007
blayz i wanst tryin to attack your post. its just been some funny posts on here lately about other producer equips/ sounds that people tryin to copy which i think is wack
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

That's how you learn...
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchild View Post
You're a ****ing idiot.
first of all, he didn't attack anyone, so what's up with you going at him? grow up. secondly, if we're going to throw stones, you've made plenty of idiotic posts over the past month or so... and i remember tony having to close a few (and i also remember you changing one or two after people were offended). relax
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php?t=102285
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php?t=105564

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search