The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
best way to sync audio w. mpc
Old 30th January 2007
  #1
Lives for gear
 
soultrane's Avatar
best way to sync audio w. mpc

i would like to use the mpc as the master in my studio...

the problem is, i'm having troubles getting daw programs to sync with it... whether i use mtc or midi clock etc..

i guess i could let the mpc slave to the daw program, but i don't want to do that...

has anyone got a better idea? how about a hard disk recorder like an hd24, do they sync any better then your average logic, cubase, etc?
Old 30th January 2007
  #2
Lives for gear
 
con?one's Avatar
 

you should elaborate on how you have it set up, settings, etc...
Old 30th January 2007
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
LouD.'s Avatar
Not sure about the newer MPCs, but didn't the MPC 3000 have an option for a SMPTE card?
What about chasing the MPC using SMPTE?

Hmmmm - or Maybe we used an SPX1000 (and sometimes an SPX80) - but I think I remember SMPTE on the MPCs?

yeah it's been a while...
Old 31st January 2007
  #4
Lives for gear
 
soultrane's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by con?one View Post
you should elaborate on how you have it set up, settings, etc...
well, right now, i'm using logic (pc) as the daw program, and sending out sync from the mpc 3000 to an amt8.

the mpc has two different syncs, mtc and midi clock.

what i want to be able to do is record in logic while it is chasing the mpc.

it works pretty well when it is receiving midi clock, however, the sync is not that great. to get the audio to sync with the mpc, you have to go all the way back to the beginning of the song (on the mpc.)

when i sync with mtc, the sync is much tighter, however, i can't record in logic, as, whatever reason, logic interprets something from the mpc as "stop" messages about every 25 seconds and turns off the recording.

so, what i'd really like to be able to do is record audio while the mpc is controlling the recorder...
Old 31st January 2007
  #5
Lives for gear
If you want to make the MPC the master and the DAW the slave, you will have to send word clock (via spdif or aes/ebu or dedicated word clock... not sure what options you have on the various MPCs) to the DAW in addition to the MTC or SMPTE in order for it to work properly. You could still set your DAW to accept MMC from the MPC so you can still use the transport controls on the MPC. But if you only have the DAW chase using MTC without a digital audio clock you will get slilppage with any audio recorded in the DAW.

Avoid midi clock at all costs. It's highly innacurate and only really suitable for live use. Stick with MTC. That said, the reason you have to go back to the beginning on the MPC is because it aparently is not sending SPP (song position pointer) or the DAW is not receiving it. There is typically a setting somewhere. this is a non-issue with MTC.

As for why the DAW stopping using MTC, it could be because of the digital clock source. The drift between the MTC and the digital audio clock it's receiving could be so far off that it assumes it's lost sync and stops. Slave the DAW's digital audio clock to the spdif clock coming from the MPC. Of course, this could cause excess jitter during recording (your recording device should always be the master clock whenever possible to avoid jitter).
Old 31st January 2007
  #6
Lives for gear
 
soultrane's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
If you want to make the MPC the master and the DAW the slave, you will have to send word clock (via spdif or aes/ebu or dedicated word clock... not sure what options you have on the various MPCs) to the DAW in addition to the MTC or SMPTE in order for it to work properly. You could still set your DAW to accept MMC from the MPC so you can still use the transport controls on the MPC. But if you only have the DAW chase using MTC without a digital audio clock you will get slilppage with any audio recorded in the DAW.

Avoid midi clock at all costs. It's highly innacurate and only really suitable for live use. Stick with MTC. That said, the reason you have to go back to the beginning on the MPC is because it aparently is not sending SPP (song position pointer) or the DAW is not receiving it. There is typically a setting somewhere. this is a non-issue with MTC.

As for why the DAW stopping using MTC, it could be because of the digital clock source. The drift between the MTC and the digital audio clock it's receiving could be so far off that it assumes it's lost sync and stops. Slave the DAW's digital audio clock to the spdif clock coming from the MPC. Of course, this could cause excess jitter during recording (your recording device should always be the master clock whenever possible to avoid jitter).
thanks for the response.

unfortunately, i think only the newer mpc's have a wordclock option.

on midi clock... yeah, i was using spp, but even still, the sync was not that great.

i guess i'm out of luck then?

i was hoping to mix down to two tracks thru the board with the mpc controlling the midi and the daw playing back the audio...
Old 31st January 2007
  #7
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrane View Post
thanks for the response.

i was hoping to mix down to two tracks thru the board with the mpc controlling the midi and the daw playing back the audio...
Then just have the MPC's sequencer chase MTC from the DAW. Should work fine. Back with 2 inch tape that was the ONLY way to do it.
Old 31st January 2007
  #8
Lives for gear
 
soultrane's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
Then just have the MPC's sequencer chase MTC from the DAW. Should work fine. Back with 2 inch tape that was the ONLY way to do it.
i guess this is what i will have to do.

although, a logic guru once told me that because logic is 960 ppqn (or something like that) and the mpc is only something like 96 ppqn, the mpc will be confused/overloaded by logic resulting in less than perfect sync.

btw, i was able to keep the daw from stopping during record mode by sending mtc to the audio card first (via midi) and then to the daw...

the only thing is, now the .wav files displayed on the screen bear no resemblance to the actual audio, i.e., in a 100 measure song with the .wav playing thru the whole tune, the display shows the .wav stopping at about bar 70, even though both the mpc and the daw are set to the same tempo.
Old 31st January 2007
  #9
Lives for gear
 

you might get better reults making logic the master. you are going to have a little bit of latency between mpc midi and logic though. jj os allows you to set an offset to correct this.
Old 31st January 2007
  #10
Lives for gear
 

I have found that ableton live is tighter than most in this department, both as slave and master.
Old 31st January 2007
  #11
Lives for gear
 

i have found that logic is tighter than dp fwiw. logic i get three ticks latency at 90bpm, dp i get 6.5.

dp does not work well with beat clock for me either. i switched to jj os and using mtc it is rock solid so far.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump