The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ensoniq ASR-10 green vs purple display
Old 3rd February 2016
  #1
Gear Maniac
 

Ensoniq ASR-10 green vs purple display

I'm looking to get an asr-10, it seems the green screens come up more often than the purple or blue. Are the purple/blue that much better & reliable that I should I hold out for one to come up? Or are the green screens reliable enough that it doesn't matter?

I am being offered an original green display, full ram upgrade, SCSI, has a reconstructed key (claims it is purely cosmetic). $700, is this a recommended deal?
Old 3rd February 2016
  #2
Never heard about purple or other colors in a ASR-10 screen. I had green, fully equipped, working for more than over 14 years, every day. Never had any issues with the screen what so ever.

I think it depends on how the previous owner treated it, ...

like ?

or maybe ?

Hope not



Maybe the other colors are replaced screens. Someone else here will probably know everything about it
Old 3rd February 2016
  #3
Lives for gear
 
beyondat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apricotkilla View Post
I'm looking to get an asr-10, it seems the green screens come up more often than the purple or blue. Are the purple/blue that much better & reliable that I should I hold out for one to come up? Or are the green screens reliable enough that it doesn't matter?

I am being offered an original green display, full ram upgrade, SCSI, has a reconstructed key (claims it is purely cosmetic). $700, is this a recommended deal?
From what I remember the purple and green screen versions function the same. The purp just looks so much nicer.
Old 3rd February 2016
  #4
Lives for gear
 
tdot's Avatar
I researched this extensively when buying my ASR10. Unlike beyondat, I think I actually prefer the old school VFD displays.

Basically for me it came down to two things - firstly, the purple screen ASR10s were only introduced at the end of the production run. This means they can be up to 6 years newer than the green screens.

Secondly, I have read that the purple screen ASR10s run cooler than the green screen ones. I have no idea if this is actually true or not - but even my purple screen ASR10 runs hotter than pretty much any other piece of gear in my entire studio.

Also, I have heard that the green screens have more chance of burning out. Considering the purple screens would be the same era of crappy LCD technology used on the MPC 2000 (which have known lifespan issues), I don't think either one is more 'reliable' than the other. It could just be that all the blue screen models are newer, which means more people would have had a chance to burn out their green screens.

Other than that, as far as I know, they're identical.

$700 USD seems a little high. With full ram and SCSI I think I paid around 600 for mine. They can go for around 300 (or less, depending on condition) without SCSI, but I think SCSI is pretty important if you're planning on actually loading/saving samples. The SCSI cards alone go for over $200, so you definitely want a unit with one included.

Try checking eBay completed listings for 'up to date' pricing trends.

ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=asr10&LH_Complete=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=asr10&_sacat=0

I see one with a SCSI drive and 16 megs ram that recently sold for $415 USD. Max ram is not really a consideration for these units - you can buy 32 megs of ram for an ASR for $30 or less. The SCSI card is what will kill you in $$$.
Old 3rd February 2016
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Pindrive's Avatar
Purple screen was a later model & machine came maxed out with 16mb RAM. I asked someone who owned a Purple Screen & has a number of machines with the older style screen & he said it makes no difference to him. If you are paying $700 I'd make sure it has the SCSI installed. I'm not sure I understand the keyboard issue? That may, or may not, hurt the value.
Old 3rd February 2016
  #6
mp3
Lives for gear
 

As someone else stated, the purple screen ASRs were made at the end run of the ASR-10 lifespan. Mine was manufactured in 1996. I have heard that Ensoniq had made some improvements to the power supply toward the end of the ASR-10 run but I don't know if that was ever substantiated. All I know for sure is that neither I nor my nephew (who has had my ASR for the past few years) have had the random crashes etc. that people attribute to overheating. Besides a few stiff buttons my purple screen ASR works like a champ.
Old 4th February 2016
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdot View Post
Secondly, I have read that the purple screen ASR10s run cooler than the green screen ones. I have no idea if this is actually true or not - but even my purple screen ASR10 runs hotter than pretty much any other piece of gear in my entire studio.
Yeah, you helped me remembering. The green screen had become very very hot. It didn't burn, but it wasn't far away

And you will place one hand all the time just next to it. That was the biggest draw back with the ASR10: Submenus in submenus in submenus... You have to navigate a lot thru the menus. It's a breeze as soon as you know them. Just keep in mind that the cursor buttons will become your best friends. My ASR10 had a white spot just beneath the cursor buttons, because my hand was always sitting there, nicely warmed by the screen, sweating, ...
Old 4th February 2016
  #8
Lives for gear
 
tdot's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustmedia View Post
Yeah, you helped me remembering. The green screen had become very very hot. It didn't burn, but it wasn't far away

And you will place one hand all the time just next to it. That was the biggest draw back with the ASR10: Submenus in submenus in submenus... You have to navigate a lot thru the menus. It's a breeze as soon as you know them. Just keep in mind that the cursor buttons will become your best friends. My ASR10 had a white spot just beneath the cursor buttons, because my hand was always sitting there, nicely warmed by the screen, sweating, ...
I've never personally compared them, but it isn't like the purple ones run 'cool' either. Out of the maybe 70 pieces of gear I have in my studio, I don't think anything gets hotter than the ASR. Maybe the sub if I run it near full for hours?

The menus are a pain. It is really a pretty complicated synth so it takes a while to get use to. For chopping, I much prefer working with the 2000XL - I usually use the ASR10 for sound design. You can get some really creative and organic sounds out of that thing.
Old 8th February 2016
  #9
Gear Maniac
 
CharlesEdward3rd's Avatar
 

the purple screen needs more replacing than the green one.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #10
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesEdward3rd View Post
the purple screen needs more replacing than the green one.
How do you replace one
Old 4 weeks ago
  #11
Lives for gear
The world awaits replacement asr displays
Old 3 weeks ago
  #12
Lives for gear
 
3rd Degree's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwolf View Post
The world awaits replacement asr displays
Contact TheSoniq in San Jose. He probably can help you out.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump