The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Good mic for under $1000
Old 29th January 2007
Here for the gear

Good mic for under $1000

I'm looking to purchase a new mic, right now I'm using a Rode NTK. In my opinion it was a pretty damn good mic for the price. But now since I've picked up a higher quality pre-amp (ADL-600) I'm not really like the sound all that much anymore. I mainly record rap and r&b. Here's a quick list of some of the mics I've been told I should get:

TLM103
AT4050
Shure KSM44
C414
Blue Dragonfly
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

2 more options to considder: AKG solid Tube and Neumann TLM 49

www.nickoosterhuis.com
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Maniac

One more suggestion...Shure SM 7B !!! With a good preamp with enough gain it's great...sounds raw like the Wu Tang ****! A good condenser should be over 1000$ because of those harsh chineese capsuls...the shure is dynamic!
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEADROOM View Post
2 more options to considder: AKG solid Tube and Neumann TLM 49

www.nickoosterhuis.com
AKG Solidtube is Terrible IMO.

Neumann TLM 49 is a good mic though.
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dny997 View Post
I'm looking to purchase a new mic, right now I'm using a Rode NTK. In my opinion it was a pretty damn good mic for the price. But now since I've picked up a higher quality pre-amp (ADL-600) I'm not really like the sound all that much anymore. I mainly record rap and r&b. Here's a quick list of some of the mics I've been told I should get:

TLM103
AT4050
Shure KSM44
TLM103
C414
Blue Dragonfly
I am a 4050 owner here. I have heard very good things, enough to make me wish I got one, about the Shure KSM LDCs. Blue microphone could be a good choice.

Sorry not much help here.
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Maniac

You may give a shot on mojave ma200 or baruner phantom.
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Maniac

sorry, that is BRAUNER phantom. cccc...
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
TLM103
AT4050
Shure KSM44
TLM103
C414
Blue Dragonfly
From that list, I'd say get the 414. Nowadays it's overlooked, but IMO it's still a workhorse and sounds pretty good on a lot of sources.
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Maniac

sm7
u87 (original if u can find it)
at4060

theres alot to choose from point us in a direction what do you want it to sound like
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioS View Post
sorry, that is BRAUNER phantom. cccc...
i had a brauner phantom. sounds wonderful on soft sources.
sounds extreeeeeemly bright on loud rappers.
so if you're recording guys who really spit, it'd avoid it. it can be ear splitting.

for a grand, i'd be on the used market

btw, all of the tracks on our myspace were recorded with the brauner phantom.
http://www.myspace.com/somobe
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

TLM103
AT4050
Shure KSM44
C414
Blue Dragonfly
How are you liking you ADL 600? I would expand my list of mic possibilities from what you have listed...You'll prolly see a lot of ppl recommending Peluso's, I just purchased one to use wit that pre, can't say that i was blown away by it, but i did get one that was not up to spec so i had to send it back to John. I would look into the Audio Technica 4060 like someone mentioned, maybe a soundelux U195, that one from what a friend told me goes well wit that pre...Ne ways just keep looking and researching do not jump into ne thing b/c of what someone here tells u, use your gut and take in consideration everybody has different needs and taste and what you are getting from ppl up here is their own opinions on the taste they like, its never right or wrong but sometimes it may not be yours. Good luck to ya...
Old 29th January 2007
500 series nutjob

i would also look at the RED type B mic.
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

You will never regret getting a used Gefell UM70 or UMT70.
If lucky you´ll find one under a 1000.

Beats all on your list including a U87.

Best,
Carl-Johan
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
One more suggestion...Shure SM 7B !!! With a good preamp with enough gain it's great...sounds raw like the Wu Tang ****! A good condenser should be over 1000$ because of those harsh chineese capsuls...the shure is dynamic!
I second that ! The Shure SM7B is a very cool sounding microphone.
A nice dip in the middle.
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
i would also look at the RED type B mic.
+1 for the Red Type B.
Old 29th January 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx View Post
How are you liking you ADL 600?
I LOVE IT! It's reasonably priced, tube, STEREO, it has a line in and an instrument in, and on top of that it has a really beautiful warm sound. Not to say that it's better or worst then the 737, it's just different and STEREO! The sound is so clean and warm that I had a guy come in to record, his keyboard sounds and samples were a HOT MESS. I sent them throw the ADL-600 and it made a HUGE difference. They say you can't polish a turd and that's ture but it really did make that turd feel and sound a hell of alot nicer. So much that when his rapper came in to do the vocals he thought the guy remade the track on a different/higher quality keyboard.
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I LOVE IT! It's reasonably priced, tube, STEREO, it has a line in and an instrument in, and on top of that it has a really beautiful warm sound. Not to say that it's better or worst then the 737, it's just different and STEREO! The sound is so clean and warm that I had a guy come in to record, his keyboard sounds and samples were a HOT MESS. I sent them throw the ADL-600 and it made a HUGE difference. They say you can't polish a turd and that's ture but it really did make that turd feel and sound a hell of alot nicer. So much that when his rapper came in to do the vocals he thought the guy remade the track on a different/higher quality keyboard.
Thats good to hear. I have one myself, but i was just seeing what someone else that actually do what i do thought about it...
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Soundelux U195
Rode K2
Audio Technica 4060
Audio Technica 4050
Mojave MA200
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

AT 4050, shure sm-7, studio projects C1 version 2. THose 3 would cover alot of voices
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Microtech Gefell 930 (solidstate)

or

Peluso 251 (tube)

If you would like to spend more bucks...

Peluso 22-47 LE!
Old 14th February 2007
Here for the gear

Well, everyone thanx for all the advice. It was really instrumental in helping me make a wise decision. I first tried the U87 (only b/c of all the hype surrounding around it in the hip hop industry). Don't get me wrong it is a really nice mic, it just did work for me (meaning: over-all sound, flexibility, the artist(s) I was using it w/, and my vocal booth/set-up.) Then I got the MA-200 and the AT 4050 and couldn't be more happier. To be honest w/ u I think the MA-200 sounds a little bit warmer and brighter than the U87 (compared side by side w/ the setup I'm using). Now, that's just my opinion. Thanx, I really feel like I made and the best chose for the price (I went a little over my budget but what the hell you can't take it w/ u) and sound I was looking for.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search