The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
does jj os kill the akai mpc feel?
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by khameln View Post
I used the Peff MPC 3K Grooves set, which i've modified for my own purposes.
that sounds like what Im trying to do. basically i want a 3k groove set to save as part of my preset
Old 6th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by quincyg View Post
it's not so much sloppy as intentionally grooved. the internal timing of the mpc itself is great, just has its own feel.
I wouldnt go that far, the slop I was hearing sounded bad. It sounds good up to a point then it gets hectic. Its not intentional you can tell it just gets bogged down with too many notes.
Old 6th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxpot View Post
yes thats right....

but you can always enter the start time of the notes manually....than the note should be dead on, as you didn´t quantize...if not (that´s what i guess)..yeah than this groove is not a feature but a sloppy timing....i know i keep on repeating myself-----
the notes are always dead on, its just the cpu cant keep up. none of these boxes move notes around intentionally, thats just a myth. even roger linn said he didnt do anything special.
Old 6th February 2007
If anyone wants some Sp1200 groove files here are two I made, one at 54% swing and the other 58%. This was done at a double tempo btw. I do house stuff so I never use swing greater than this so sorry no other settings. In MIDI format...
Attached Files
File Type: zip sp1200.zip (247 Bytes, 48 views)
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

so how do groove templates recreate unintentional slop? if you retrack the same mpc sequence 10 times as audio will you get 10 different grooves? if it is simply slop then it would stand to reason that the slop would change on every playback.

the cumulative slop would then be what makes the mpc sound so good with regards to timing.
Old 8th February 2007
Quote:
so how do groove templates recreate unintentional slop? if you retrack the same mpc sequence 10 times as audio will you get 10 different grooves? if it is simply slop then it would stand to reason that the slop would change on every playback.

the cumulative slop would then be what makes the mpc sound so good with regards to timing.
Yes its different each time, just like a live player. So the groove template will be somewhat static compared to the live mpc, again just like groove templates from live drummers will be. If you really wanted to go crazy you could make very long templates.

I think a lot of it is psychological. I did some tests with my sp1200 and cubase. first of all the sp wasn't that much "off" than I would have imagined. And with my eyes closed the groove wasn't really that discernible either.

In fact a lot of times you can get a better feel with a computer since there is more control, that is if you know how to program/play correctly. Sample accurate beats quantized right to a grid will generally sound stale compared to an mpc but it doesn't have to be like that...
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Skeens View Post
If you really wanted to go crazy you could make very long templates.
exactly. why not scan 8 bars or more? it´s easy to do this in FL Studio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Skeens View Post
And with my eyes closed the groove wasn't really that discernible either.
yup. you could sample the sounds off of the SP and create the same groove.
you wouldn´t hear much of a difference.
Old 9th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusColeman View Post
exactly. why not scan 8 bars or more? it´s easy to do this in FL Studio.

yup. you could sample the sounds off of the SP and create the same groove.
you wouldn´t hear much of a difference.
In fact the sp can be a bitch to get smooth grooves on because the ppq is so coarse.
The sound of that machine is nice though.
Old 10th February 2007
Lives for gear

it is hard to believe this. i know the mpc feels better than my daw quantizing dead on beat. if slop is making the groove of the mpc then i want slop.
Old 11th February 2007
Quote:
it is hard to believe this. i know the mpc feels better than my daw quantizing dead on beat. if slop is making the groove of the mpc then i want slop.
Whats so hard to belive? A computer doing sample accurate timing quantized right on the beat can sound stale. the mpc has some slop so it breathes a little. pretty simple. and yes there is no magical "groove" programmed into the mpc... they have enough trouble making the Os bug free let alone come up with something like that.

what im saying tho is you can make the computer sloppy too. and in the end you have more control since it does exactly what you tell it.
Old 11th February 2007
Lives for gear

the only i hate on the 1k is that the pads suck..........That all that is killing me,....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search