The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MPC3000 NOTE DURATION Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 27th January 2007
Gear Head

MPC3000 NOTE DURATION

(note: Im new to the mpc3000 but not to making music)

OK so let's say I have a sampled 2 bar loop on my mpc3000, I wanna use the note off parameter for the pad, so it sounds only when I press the pad and not all the way until the end of the recorded sample.

I think ya'll already know the question...
how do I make the note stay playing for 2 perfect bars so the sample "loops"?

I tried SEQ EDIT, edit NOTE DATA, edit VEL/DURATION... The only way it looped perfect is if I typed "768" on the VALUE entry... so let's say it's a 4 bar loop, it would be "1536". Oh, and setting the "DO" to "SET TO VAL".
Is this the only way to do what I wanna do?
So that means I have to do this every time I sample something?

Now, what if I wanna chop the hell out of a sample and play a very rythmical loop, let's say out of "8" chops on different pads?
*I know how to "chop" on the 3000, I just need the note value answer...

In software I just play the whole thing, and then select the midi notes and set them to "legato".. that's it...
(and I know software is "quicker" than the 3000, I just wanna know how to do the same on the mpc)

thanks in advance
Old 27th January 2007
Gear maniac

hold the pad til it gets to end of bar you want. dont get no quicker than that.
Old 27th January 2007
Gear Head

yeah but that would cause a silence between the samples.. (when I lift the fingers)

I just wanna know if there's a way to do this.. I don't want the sample to keep playing 'til the end when it's in "mono" mode.. knowimsayin??
Old 27th January 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
yeah but that would cause a silence between the samples.. (when I lift the fingers)
why?

Do it all the time.

this is a musical instrument. you are in control
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Head

2 pads, same sample? i donno dont use one but id try that...
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Head

Mute groups?
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Head

yeah, on note-off, I either put the same sample on 2 different pads or just put it on 1 pad and then go to SEQ EDIT, and adjust the duration of the note (suppose it's a 2 bar loop) to the desired lenght... the thing is that I can't understand what VALUE stands for...768 is 2 bars... what is 768?? ticks??
so yeah if the sample is 4 bars, multiply by 2..

but when you got chopped samples on like 6-8 pads... with different lenghts each... there's a problem.. I think the 3000 was meant for drums more than anything..
Old 30th January 2007
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HittMann View Post
(note: Im new to the mpc3000 but not to making music)

OK so let's say I have a sampled 2 bar loop on my mpc3000, I wanna use the note off parameter for the pad, so it sounds only when I press the pad and not all the way until the end of the recorded sample.

I think ya'll already know the question...
how do I make the note stay playing for 2 perfect bars so the sample "loops"?

I tried SEQ EDIT, edit NOTE DATA, edit VEL/DURATION... The only way it looped perfect is if I typed "768" on the VALUE entry... so let's say it's a 4 bar loop, it would be "1536". Oh, and setting the "DO" to "SET TO VAL".
Is this the only way to do what I wanna do?
So that means I have to do this every time I sample something?

Now, what if I wanna chop the hell out of a sample and play a very rythmical loop, let's say out of "8" chops on different pads?
*I know how to "chop" on the 3000, I just need the note value answer...

In software I just play the whole thing, and then select the midi notes and set them to "legato".. that's it...
(and I know software is "quicker" than the 3000, I just wanna know how to do the same on the mpc)

thanks in advance
Same sample on multiple pads put on mono then trim each how you want it
hope this helps . Should get rid of blank space
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Head

Hi Hitman

Your problem is that you're editing the note duration from the wrong page. What you need to be doing is going into Step Edit mode and doing it there.

If you go into Step Edit you'll see on the right hand side a D: which represents the duration for the midi or drum sample in question. This will only work with samples when they're in Note Off mode. Enter in the duration you want and away you go. You can use this to tighten up notes or samples which are already in a sequence or alternatively you can input stuff in to a sequence by pressing the pad or note at the appropriate place whilst in Step Edit. As you've already deduced you'll be working with 96 increments per note. I actually did a chart which I kept by my MPC with all the common multiples to save me having to do the math. Note off is the way I imagine Premier uses his MPC 60 to get all those nice tight cuts.

Step Edit is pretty important in getting the most out of your 3000. You can use it to edit velocity, delete, copy and paste, and so on.

In Mono mode the way to stop individual samples from playing is by assiging the different samples to cut each other off once they're triggered which can be done via the Sound Parameters page (if memory serves me right) on the right had side. If you've got multiple chops of a loop this is the best way of doing things and saves you having to edit either the length of the samples or note duration.

Hope that helps. Post if there's anything else.
Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search