The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Software for Sample Cutting
Old 26th January 2007
Here for the gear

Software for Sample Cutting

I'm looking into getting some software for cutting samples and loops and possibly for manipulating them. I use Cubase SX3 to record, but I don't know if I like the efficiency of it for cutting samples. I'm maybe looking for something that detects zero crossings and has a lot of options and efficiency for cutting, looping, manipulated, maybe even sampling direct from the app. Oh, and I have to be able to record into it as I pull samples from records often.

I haven't looked all that closely into the small differences between them yet, but I guess I'd be looking at something like Recycle, BeatCreator, or Phatmatik.

Any thoughts? What are the best options? What do you guys prefer?

Thanks
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

Any audio editor will be good for that...

I use Wavelab.
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

Intakt. it's the best. If you want to cut drums from a keyboards to chop use WL.
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

wavelab
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Nut

I love Recycle for this. I never tried recording directly into it though (I wasn't even aware this was possible, heh)... I would always just record what I wanted to sample onto my CD audio recorder and then extract it to my computer as an AIF and load it into Recycle from there.

If I can record directly into Recycle that would certainly be more efficient! I gotta look into that
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

I like Recycle also.
Old 27th January 2007
Gear Addict

I'd have to give a shout out to ACID and Sound Forge. I use these to cut up samples, do sound design and f/x for Post in Games.

Regards,
Bruce
Old 27th January 2007
Gear Maniac

and a shout to adobe audition too
Old 27th January 2007
Gear Nut

chop em in recycle then port em over to da 4000 thats how i get down
Old 27th January 2007
Gear Nut

I like vegas 6.0. You can do as many tracks as your cpu can handle and it's very simple to use. I've had 136 tracks running at once with lots of plugins 48k and 24bit.
Old 27th January 2007
Here for the gear

Yea Sony Sound Forge is my no.1 standalone audio editor, with it you can zoom right into the exact instance you want to cut its got all the usual and handy features you'd like aswell, change pitch/tempo, eq etc.

Another sound editor i used to use way back in the simplistic days was Goldwave, you can check that out at http://www.goldwave.com/.

Also, one program you might find handy is a BPM detector, im sure its included in Sound Forge but nonetheless its bound to come in handy, MixMeister BPM Analyzer

Hope that helps
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

Should try..

You should try : Zero-X BEatcreator. the best!!
Old 3rd February 2007
Gear Nut

if you can learn how to use phatmatik (it's not hard, just a weird interface at first) i think that's the most efficient piece of software for cutting up beats in exciting ways...you should also look at fxpansion guru...both run as vst's and do pretty sample accurate chopping...you can adjust the sensitivity to cut beats up into eighth or sixteenth notes or by the transients...where it cuts it right before it peaks (great for drums with huge attacks) you'll be chopping beats in no time...guru even does some intelligent edits and predicts what sounds are kick and snare and maps them to a drum pad like interface

with recycle you have to convert all your wavs...not with these programs...these let you stay in cubase and work...

also kontakt is pretty awesome too, but too complicated for my taste.

but phatmatik is way fun cuz you can use the groove from one sample to trigger another....you can just drag and drop a midi file that it creates...

i don't know if a lot of people talk about it, but i have enjoyed using it very much!

Old 3rd February 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddlans View Post

Any thoughts? What are the best options? What do you guys prefer?

Thanks
Normally I use Wavelab but also Audacity which is free available and can read more File Formats like .ogg or so. I sometimes have problems working on mp3s with varaiable bit rate in Wavelab so I use Audacity for this.

Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

audio finder by icedaudio is excellent and cheap.
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

Sound Forge
Wavelab

I just got into Phatmatik Pro and am really diggin it
Old 4th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Checkout Shortcircuit. It's a sampler vst with slicing and there is a free version available. Record your sampe with any audio all and load it and set your slice points. It's that simple. Only thing it's missing is pitchtime stretch but I think 2.0 will have when it's released.

www.vemberaudio.com
Old 4th February 2007
recycle too here.
kontakt 2 also has a chopchop function but I don't use it much cause it's not really intuïtive IMO I like speed when doing things like this -
record, make big cut, chop, throw out garbage, load sampler or sequencer.
that should not get in the way of my ideas.

phatmatic is also an option. anybody choose that over recycle? why?
Old 4th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisma View Post
Checkout Shortcircuit. It's a sampler vst with slicing and there is a free version available. Record your sampe with any audio all and load it and set your slice points. It's that simple. Only thing it's missing is pitchtime stretch but I think 2.0 will have when it's released.

www.vemberaudio.com
great concept too. no mac no au. pity.
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post

phatmatic is also an option. anybody choose that over recycle? why?
i use phatmatik because it cho[ps and its a VSTi. I hated having to go into recycle, chop the sample, export it, then load it into something that supports Rex. With phatmatik i load in any audio file, chop it, it maps the slices to keys automatically, add effects done deal.
Old 4th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by azwun25 View Post
i use phatmatik because it cho[ps and its a VSTi. I hated having to go into recycle, chop the sample, export it, then load it into something that supports Rex. With phatmatik i load in any audio file, chop it, it maps the slices to keys automatically, add effects done deal.
clear.
one question: phatmatic also plays the samples?
how is the playback engine?
downloading the demo now.. heh
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
clear.
one question: phatmatic also plays the samples?
how is the playback engine?
downloading the demo now.. heh
yes u play it like a sampler..well..it is sampler.its good. i switched to phatmatik when NI dropped Intakt from its products. load a sample, chop it up..ur on ur way!
Old 11th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
You should try : Zero-X BEatcreator. the best!!
I think this is what I've been searching for. They call it "static slicing". Dividing the loop up into equal parts that you specify, 1/4notes, whole notes, or whatever. Phatmatic only lets you do this with equal 16th or 32nd notes. transient-based chopping doesn't always give you the desired results. My 4K excels a this. I need something fast and intuitive to replace the 4K.

Any others?
Old 11th March 2007
Lives for gear

I´m using the one included in the Energy sampler. Works with transients or quantization based (1 bar/x) or length based (cut sample into x pieces)
midi drag n drop, multi outs, etc...

I was using Recycle for years, but I don´t want to start an external editor, cut, export, import, load rex into sampler, load midi into sequencer.....that´s such a waste of time and Energy (pun intended).
Old 11th March 2007
Gear Addict

what is this energy sampler? do you have an url to this?
Old 11th March 2007
Gear Maniac

Record from records into Audition. Wave edit it and hotkey the larfger samples I want. Then chop those in Recycle and play with them in Reason. Then Rewire it back to Audition.
Old 11th March 2007
Lives for gear

I think phatmatik is the fastest for getting beats rolling once they're chopped out neatly to the right bar length, but I find the interface too fiddly for hacking the break from the original sample though.

Peak's the one for that, very fast once you know the few useful key commands.

bb

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search