The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
ASR-10 best modern solution for storage
Old 10th January 2016
Gear Maniac

ASR-10 best modern solution for storage

What is the best modern solution for storage on the asr-10?
Is is possible to upgrade to accept CF or SSD storage? Ether it be internal install or scsi adapter etc? Is it possible to upgrade to accept USB?
Old 10th January 2016
mp3
Lives for gear

1. Microtech PCD-25
1a. Microtech PCD-40
2. RaizinMonster
3. SCSI2SD
4. Spyrus RD300

The PCDs are hot-swap, the others aren't. The PCD-25 and RaizinMonster come in a case that will fit in the floppy slot, the SCSI2SD doesn't. All of the internal ones will need an internal adapter kit to reroute the ASR-SCSI to the drive.

See here for more info on the SCSI2SD and RaizinMonster: Chicken Systems Inc : News : 20150811 : The SCSI Memory Card Craze
Old 11th January 2016
Lives for gear
SCSI2SD is the lick. We just need enclosures.
Old 12th January 2016
Gear Head
If you're considering an internal solution (i.e. replacing the floppy drive), you may want to look at the Flexidrive Floppy Emulator or Lotharek's solution. If you do choose this option, please be aware that you will dealing floppy images. So saving your work will still be like dealing w/ floppies, except the media is in solid state, thus more reliable in retaining data (no more corrupt floppy disks!). You also won't have to make room for all of the floppy disks that this beast can use. Good luck!
Old 14th January 2016
Lives for gear

I don't have SCSI on mine, plus it is under my bed so I can't just easily test this but I am about 99% sure that the ASR 10 doesn't read wave files and needs translator software. No biggie if you are just trying to save things more reliably but it will be an extra step if you actually want to load things off your computer. Chickensys.com was brought up earlier and they make translator software, I have never used it myself simply because I don't have SCSI and just sampled things in through audio when need be.

I only bring this up because throwing a CF reader into an MPC 2000xl for cheap actually makes it really compatible with just about anything in the modern world where a CF reader on an ASR 10 seems like more of a pain. Actually, I had an Akai S2000 with SCSI to recycle and that was the most "modern" solution of them all, old school hardware all around but all my storage was my PC, and easy transfer to and from the machine in seconds.
Old 14th January 2016
Lives for gear

I was going to post here as I have an ASR10 and had been looking into SD storage for my SCSI a while ago but everyone else pretty much summed up anything I had to say.

But I might as well comment.
SCSI2SD seems to be by far the cheapest option, and I'd much prefer SD cards over CF (can you even still find CF cards ... ?). But as mentioned, it doesn't have a case (enclosure, etc). I probably would have bought one by now, if it had a case. I'm not leaving a circuit board hanging out the back of my ASR. If you're okay with that, it will be by far the cheapest option.

Also I'm 99% sure 3rd Degree is accurate. You can't just copy wav files onto the card. Chickensys will let you translate wavs to ASR10 samples, but I've never tried it. I never really wanted the SD drive for this purpose, mostly just for backup, and because I'm not sure I believe in the lifespan left of the maybe 15 year old 100 meg 'portable hard disk drive' that I'm saving on now ...
Old 14th January 2016
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdot View Post
(can you even still find CF cards ... ?).
Yup all over the place, cheap as chips.

Quote:
You can't just copy wav files onto the card.
That is correct. As far as I know, Translator and Awave Studio are the only current products that can read/write Ensoniq format disks. But definitely do your research before you buy any software, its a 20 year old proprietary disk format, so transferring stuff is always gonna be a headache.
Old 14th January 2016
Lives for gear

Honestly with all my hardware workstations/samplers/etc I just print right to Pro Tools as my means of storage in this day and age i don't even see why theres another thought…I do have plenty of floppies and Zips with some basic drum sounds etc but i couldn't imagine putting the time effort and faith into all these different here today gone tomorrow external media drives…to each their own though
Old 14th January 2016
mp3
Lives for gear

Floppies and zips are here today gone tomorrow. CF and SD are more reliable.

If you never have a need to recall a sample or program/instrument (to tweak it or re-do it or re-use it or whatever) then printing to DAW would be fine. Would make me nervous though.
Old 14th January 2016
Lives for gear

IME there's not a ton you can't do (and a whole lot more you CAN do) from the DAW environment regarding re-do/recall/reuse but again everyone's experience is a little different…

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
Floppies and zips are here today gone tomorrow. CF and SD are more reliable.

If you never have a need to recall a sample or program/instrument (to tweak it or re-do it or re-use it or whatever) then printing to DAW would be fine. Would make me nervous though.
Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
Floppies and zips are here today gone tomorrow. CF and are more reliable.

Correct. We were talking about replacements for the floppy/zips. SD has been and is going to remain a standard for at least 15 years, both ways. I'm sure that the $60 reader and a $5 card will outlive the life of the ASR.

And again, agreed. When I pull a sick sample for a track, and spend a while tweaking it, I'm not going to just throw it away after I track it out. Sometimes I track with an effect, sometimes not, sometimes with a release that blends into the next note, sometimes not, sometimes I want to actually change the sample start or loop or even filter a week later after I decided I could have tweaked the sample better on the ASR. None of that is even possible to do on a DAW. It's not very often that I need to re-track out a sound again, but just throwing it away would make me nervous. Also, what if I wanted to reuse a really dope sound I recorded and processed for one track on a different track (which I've done a few times)?
Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Correct. We were talking about replacements for the floppy/zips. SD has been and is going to remain a standard for at least 15 years, both ways. I'm sure that the $60 reader and a $5 card will outlive the life of the ASR.

And again, agreed. When I pull a sick sample for a track, and spend a while tweaking it, I'm not going to just throw it away after I track it out. Sometimes I track with an effect, sometimes not, sometimes with a release that blends into the next note, sometimes not, sometimes I want to actually change the sample start or loop or even filter a week later after I decided I could have tweaked the sample better on the ASR. None of that is even possible to do on a DAW. It's not very often that I need to re-track out a sound again, but just throwing it away would make me nervous. Also, what if I wanted to reuse a really dope sound I recorded and processed for one track on a different track (which I've done a few times)?
There is no question an SD card or CF card will last forever. I have more than a few going on a decade and have never had a problem with either, ever. Though I do have older floppies (not that I was the original owner) that still work, plenty do not. I haven't had an HD fail on me in awhile but I replace (and back up) constantly.

However, because my ASR 10 does not have SCSI, I found it sort of "relieving" to not save. When I am done, I am done. If I love the sample, I know where to find it and if I really love it, it goes to my computer's HD too, through my interface. It would be pretty simple to just drop the end point off the first chop as well and record it into the DAW.

I personally don't save much of anything to a floppy because both reliably and lack of storage, both memory and my personal storage space.

Going back to my MPC 1000 for now, I will say I would really struggle without being able to easily transfer my chopped samples right to the ASR 10. I don't know how the translator software works but I don't think it would be as easy as exporting in Recycle and loading a program up in MPC Editor, saving, and be on my way in 30 seconds or so. That could actually cause me more frustration than not having a CF reading to begin with. I am an over thinker though.
Old 16th January 2016
SEED78
I build external scsi CF readers for the ASR10, Inc a OS boot disc. CF cards are p*ss easy to find on eBay, £5 each for the ones the ASR 10 likes.

Internals are tricky as ASR10 doesn't like acard SCSI bridges for internal use specifically, just a very rare iodata SCSI bridge (which I have installed in my ASR10 rack).
Old 17th January 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
I build external scsi CF readers for the ASR10, Inc a OS boot disc. CF cards are p*ss easy to find on eBay, £5 each for the ones the ASR 10 likes.
so why dont you post a link as to which ones work instead of making statements with no intent of helping out? or is that some sort of insider secret?

Old 17th January 2016
Lives for gear

Hey, I'm looking for external, cheap card reader for ASR-10 as well.

I guess SEED78 talks about Hakai...you can find it on Ebay...not cheap
Old 17th January 2016
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by emaxx View Post
so why dont you post a link as to which ones work instead of making statements with no intent of helping out? or is that some sort of insider secret?

Links to what, cards? Here you go....

No insider secretes here.
Old 17th January 2016
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-cd View Post
Hey, I'm looking for external, cheap card reader for as well.

I guess SEED78 talks about Hakai...you can find it on Ebay...not cheap
Yurp, that's me - I totally agree on the not cheap, but then again the cost of my parts (good quality hot swap flash reader that isn't a cheap startech/scsi enclosure that are getting harder to find outside of the USA/external SCSI cables/SCSI to IDE brige which are hard to find for under 100 £/$/cf card with bootable OS for asr10) plus ebay and paypal fees... add it all up and I'm hardly eating off the back of it. I enjoy working with old samplers though, and there is no BS, the things just work like they should.
Old 18th January 2016
Lives for gear

Hakai looks nice and I understand what you write Seed but I won't pay 1/3 of ASR-10 value just for storage, no matter how good it is and how I need it.

Anyway, good luck with good product.

Last edited by sd-cd; 18th January 2016 at 09:28 PM..
Old 18th January 2016
SEED78
Quote:
Hakai looks nice and I understand what you write Seed but I won't pay 1/3 (or more) of ASR-10 value just for storage, no matter how good it is and how I need it.
I guess it's for people who got a bit too much money to spend.

Anyway, good luck with good product.
Completely understand, but a lot of different sampler customers have been happy to pay the price for my products.

If you find anything of better value to european customers please feel free to post about it, might buy one myself!!
Old 18th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you find anything of better value to european customers please feel free to post about it, might buy one myself!!
Oh, come on! Now it is a matter of honour ;-) Peace.

Have you thought about GS group buy? :-)
Old 18th January 2016
SEED78
Quote:
Quote:
Oh, come on! Now it is a matter of honour ;-) Peace.

Have you thought about GS group buy? :-)
I honestly mean it though, one day (if its not out there already) there will be a cheaper product than mine, thats just the way life is, and it should be posted on this thread so people can get the benefit of it - I'm not into the c+ck blocking that goes on with competing business people on this forum, I see too many threads get yawntastic because of that stuff. I love samplers, and this isn't my day job so I don't tend to get too stressed about it all tbh, its just fun and pocket money.

I would def do some kind of discount for a big enough group buy. I don't want to spam this thread up too much though, so I'm gonna chill on the self promo for now...

on another note, ASR's really are too dope - I spend more time with my MPC3000 recently, so have been tempted to sell my ASR rack to put towards a new preamp, but really can't make myself do it... Sold my S950, and a load of synths, but the ASR10 is a real deep box of tricks, hope I never sell it!
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Completely understand, but a lot of different sampler customers have been happy to pay the price for my products.

There is, we were talking about it.

https://www.itead.cc/scsi2sd.html

$70 - works with ASR10.

Only thing it's missing is a case, if you don't mind a PCB hanging out the back of your ASR.

Compatibility list is here SCSI2SD - code/src wiki
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

re

its way worth it when you almost every library and tons of vinyl on a sd card and you dont ever have to mess zips again. also you can do it cheaply by buying the a converter and building an enclosure, very easy.
Old 21st January 2016
SEED78
Quote:

$70 - works with ASR10.

Only thing it's missing is a case, if you don't mind a PCB hanging out the back of your ASR.

Compatibility list is here SCSI2SD - code/src wiki
Thats a great product, have been reading a lot about it. Def a lot cheaper, but might not suit the needs of everyone due to the lack of enclosure as you say, (making it hard to use with multiple machines etc when installed internally too), but its great regardless. have they figured out how to mount it in a floppy bay yet? thats what they really need...

I do get the impression that the SCSI2SD can be a hassle to setup for some samplers, not entirely plug and play compared to more traditional storage - but people who have got them working are massively happy with them so thats cool. wouldn't mind trying one myself soon, shame its not working with the MPC3000, I'd snap one up for mine if so.

I like the Artmix stuff too. That guy is VERY resourceful, and produces so many great products.
Old 26th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

$70 - works with ASR10.
Thanks.

Just ordered it via Polish web store.
Will have it in March
Old 1st February 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks.

Just ordered it via Polish web store.
Will have it in March
Will you build a casing for it? Interested in what your plan is as I'd like to order one myself.
Old 1st February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apricotkilla View Post
Will you build a casing for it? Interested in what your plan is as I'd like to order one myself.
Not sure yet, probably it will be without any special casing. If I manage to do something will write here. Cheers!
Old 4th February 2016
Gear Maniac

Does anyone know if this item will work with the ASR-10?

ASR-10 best modern solution for storageSCSI2SD 3 5" Includes 4 SanDisk MicroSD Card 50 Pin SCSI Hard Disk | eBay
Old 4th February 2016
mp3
Lives for gear

^ Did you read the thread?
Old 10th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

What is a highest capacity of SD cards for these, 1GB?
Any other hints? SDHC/SDXC?

Last edited by sd-cd; 10th February 2016 at 07:04 PM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search