The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
ASR-10 best modern solution for storage
Old 11th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-cd View Post
What is a highest capacity of SD cards for these, 1GB?
Any other hints? SDHC/SDXC?
No idea, I don't have one!
But the actual page by the guy that made them is here: SCSI2SD - code/src wiki

Apparently you can set artificial card size limits over USB for things that don't support larger sizes, so you should be able to use any modern SD card with one
Old 12th February 2016
Gear Nut

I have a SCSI2SD, currently use it with my S3000XL as an external unit.

I had a case 3d-printed (technology is crazy man) off plans that were downloaded from the internet. Someone made the plans & uploaded them, just google it & you'll find it. Was a bit pricey but hey I can use it how I want so no complaints.

And yes, I successfully divided a 4GB MicroSD into 4x500mb partitions, each with a different SCSI ID. Since the S3K can only see up to 550mb or something I just set it to 500 each. Works like a charm.

Don't have an ASR so I can't comment on compatibility with that unit, but I can definitely answer questions about its use in general. I can also comment that I didn't get it to work with my MPC 3K v 3.10. Apparently it works fine with v 3.50.
Old 12th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMS View Post
And yes, I successfully divided a 4GB MicroSD into 4x500mb partitions, each with a different SCSI ID. Since the S3K can only see up to 550mb or something I just set it to 500 each. Works like a charm.

Don't have an ASR so I can't comment on compatibility with that unit, but I can definitely answer questions about its use in general. I can also comment that I didn't get it to work with my MPC 3K v 3.10. Apparently it works fine with v 3.50.
I was going to say, I recall people partitioning Akai stuff and have no idea how this translates to the ASR 10. However, I thought it was a cool idea because with multiple partitions, you could keep completed songs on one, WIP on another, and all your samples on another. Kind of like folders but every duplicate file essentially in a different place and takes up less usable space. Each program you save, or on an MPC, project, you save with samples and though it takes up the same room on the drive total, because the sampler can't use it all, it essentially saves room on each partition, so you don't need to move things around often. I only bring this up because I know nothing about how this actually applies, but people did use that negative about a sampler only being able to use so much space, but made it work in a more efficient way.
Old 23rd February 2016
Here for the gear

How do you power the scsi2sd when connected to an ASR-10? Does it "power itself" via the SCSI bus?

And what kind of cable would I need to get?
Old 27th February 2016
Gear Nut
SCSI2SD in the UK --> www.amigakit.com - SCSI to Micro SD Interface Adapter
SCSI2SD floppy bay bracket --> SCSI2SD - bracket (XMF5EE7W8) by roymaya

~£75 all in with shipping.
Apparently, the big bonus with the SCSI2SD is that you can create multiple partitions on the microSD card and use each one as a different scsi drive... and switch between them!
I say apparently because my first one is shipping to me right now.

Much cheaper than the Raizinmonster and Fusinmonster Artmix solutions That I already have in my S1000, S1100, MPC3000 and as an external for my ASR10.
I also have a couple of Acard 7720U + Delock 91640 hotswap setups which I stopped using after Artmix released his brilliant all-in-one solutions.
But yeah... this SCSI2SD has a few advantages and being cheaper is one!

Last edited by jimelectric; 27th February 2016 at 02:29 AM.. Reason: correcting "auto-spell corrector"!!
Old 27th February 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsounds View Post
How do you power the scsi2sd when connected to an ASR-10? Does it "power itself" via the SCSI bus?

And what kind of cable would I need to get?
I'm fitting one in my ASR10 too.
I'm currently using an Aztecmonster externally with an external SCSI CD ROM case.

You can probs use the floppy power with an adapter.
I'm on the lookout for a 25-pin to 50-pin IDE adapter too. Artmix sells one for the mpc3000 but it's £47 + import taxes, which brings it up to about £60!! for an adapter. Naaaahh.
Old 29th February 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimelectric View Post
I'm fitting one in my ASR10 too.
I'm currently using an Aztecmonster externally with an external SCSI CD ROM case.

You can probs use the floppy power with an adapter.
I'm on the lookout for a 25-pin to 50-pin IDE adapter too. Artmix sells one for the mpc3000 but it's £47 + import taxes, which brings it up to about £60!! for an adapter. Naaaahh.
Let us know if you find a suitably priced one. I've found some on ebay but being alien to SCSI entirely, I'm not sure they are the correct part.
Old 16th March 2016
Gear Addict

Here's a floppy drive bracket for those that are looking to install their SCSI2SD reader internally. I've also seen external cases on ebay also.

Old 16th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimelectric View Post
SCSI2SD in the UK --> www.amigakit.com - SCSI to Micro SD Interface Adapter
SCSI2SD floppy bay bracket --> SCSI2SD - bracket (XMF5EE7W8) by roymaya

~£75 all in with shipping.
Apparently, the big bonus with the SCSI2SD is that you can create multiple partitions on the microSD card and use each one as a different scsi drive... and switch between them!
I say apparently because my first one is shipping to me right now.

Much cheaper than the Raizinmonster and Fusinmonster Artmix solutions That I already have in my S1000, S1100, MPC3000 and as an external for my ASR10.
I also have a couple of Acard 7720U + Delock 91640 hotswap setups which I stopped using after Artmix released his brilliant all-in-one solutions.
But yeah... this SCSI2SD has a few advantages and being cheaper is one!
I finally got one myself, as well as:
https://www.itead.cc/scsi2-50pin-to-...5-adapter.html

Hopefully I can just plug the current DB25 cable into it and away I go! Though, my studio is still half ripped apart due to rewiring so I won't be able to test it out for a while.

The bracket looks cool, but I don't think I really want to 'remove' the floppy on the ASR, especially when it would probably require an internal rewiring, and it already has a SCSI port on the back, and it has no problem using both.

An enclosure for the card would still be nice.
Old 17th March 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by roymaya View Post
Here's a floppy drive bracket for those that are looking to install their SCSI2SD reader internally. I've also seen external cases on ebay also.

Hey Roy m8... I've spoken to you on FB and YouTube... and now here u are on Gearslutz
Tinterwebz small world shiz.

Last edited by jimelectric; 19th March 2016 at 09:13 PM..
Old 21st March 2016
Here for the gear
I am also looking at a storage option for an EPS-16+ rack with SCSI. I only want to use the floppy drive for the OS and find an external storage solution to save the sounds to. And it is proving to be difficult. I have even toyed with the idea of tracking the samples or resampling with another sampler in order to preserve any samples taken with the EPS. I have no desire to preload samples onto a disk/card from a computer to use on the EPS. I want the sound of the EPS and sampling with it plays a major part in that I imagine. Ideally I'd like to just be able to use it on its own and find a way to back up or preserve the samples I have taken with it.

I've looked at some of the links you guys have posted here. I don't like the idea of having to find an enclosure. Have any of you seen the solutions at MIDI Music Haven Products to use with your Ensoniq sampler | Midi Music Haven SCSI and IDE digital storage for your music? Is it too expensive of a product?

It is too expensive for me if it doesn't work. It appears to be less expensive than the Hakai mentioned in a previous post.
I sent a message asking if he had anything that would work with the EPS-16+ and he responded within a few hours. He also has a few videos on youtube. Something seems shady about chickensys, like they just gave up and didn't bother to let anybody know. I don't know, just a feeling I get.
Old 21st March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook e Gold View Post
I am also looking at a storage option for an EPS-16+ rack with SCSI. I only want to use the floppy drive for the OS and find an external storage solution to save the sounds to. And it is proving to be difficult. I have even toyed with the idea of tracking the samples or resampling with another sampler in order to preserve any samples taken with the EPS. I have no desire to preload samples onto a disk/card from a computer to use on the EPS. I want the sound of the EPS and sampling with it plays a major part in that I imagine. Ideally I'd like to just be able to use it on its own and find a way to back up or preserve the samples I have taken with it.

I've looked at some of the links you guys have posted here. I don't like the idea of having to find an enclosure. Have any of you seen the solutions at MIDI Music Haven Products to use with your Ensoniq sampler | Midi Music Haven SCSI and IDE digital storage for your music? Is it too expensive of a product?

It is too expensive for me if it doesn't work. It appears to be less expensive than the Hakai mentioned in a previous post.
I sent a message asking if he had anything that would work with the EPS-16+ and he responded within a few hours. He also has a few videos on youtube. Something seems shady about chickensys, like they just gave up and didn't bother to let anybody know. I don't know, just a feeling I get.
I've seen those units before. You can find similar through various sellers on eBay. For me, yes, they're too expensive. That's 1/3rd the price of an ASR. If you're okay with it, and it's worth it to you, then go for it - if they have one that they can assure you works with the EPS then you're safe.
Also, I personally just don't like CF cards because I haven't actually seen one anywhere in like 10 years. I'm sure there are at least 50 SD cards hiding in various places around the house. Not sure if it's really an issue though - chances are the CF card could last longer than the EPS
Old 17th April 2016
Here for the gear
So I ended getting the SCSI2SD and an adapter from Itead. Found an enclosure on ebay. Couldn't be happier. Actually, it'd be nice not to have to power it with USB but it works and that's all I want in the end.

I ordered another and the bracket from rob maya to use in an s5000. That one is proving slightly more problematic but it will be awesome when it's done.

I have an ASR10 without SCSI and I am contemplating buying one more to replace the floppy. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of setup? I foresee one potential problem. With the EPS16+ I was able to copy the OS from floppy to the SD via SCSI. My ASR10 lacks SCSI to aid in this process. I wonder if the ASR still uses a proprietary file system like the EPS does?
Old 18th April 2016
Gear Head

The SCSI2SD only works with SCSI so if you don't have an ASR10 with SCSI adapter it won't work. You'll need to either use a hxC floppy emulator or buy a SCSi adapter, either genuine or from straylight engineering.
Old 23rd April 2016
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyvizier View Post
The SCSI2SD only works with SCSI so if you don't have an ASR10 with SCSI adapter it won't work. You'll need to either use a hxC floppy emulator or buy a SCSi adapter, either genuine or from straylight engineering.
Thanks. I started to gather that. Looking at the emulators but would much rather take the SCSI path. I have found the info on the Straylight Engineering SP-3 but can't find where to purchase it.

I am assuming the SCSI board from the rack version doesn't work in the keyboard.
Old 24th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks. I started to gather that. Looking at the emulators but would much rather take the SCSI path. I have found the info on the Straylight Engineering SP-3 but can't find where to purchase it.

I am assuming the SCSI board from the rack version doesn't work in the keyboard.
From what I recall the SCSI cards are quite expensive ... usually quite a bit more than one of the HxC floppy emulators. You could also try TheSoniq ( Home ) to see if he has any stock and what the price is.

But yes, most likely the SCSI card will be much faster and won't have a size limit requiring you to switch between 'floppies'.
Old 25th April 2016
Gear Head

Quote:

Best to use the contact page on the Straylight Engineering site to see if he has any available and for how much. He answered me pretty quickly when I wanted the EPS 16 SCSI interface.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
SCSI2SD, Areas Disappeared

Hello Guys!

I own a V5, SCSI2SD device. I updated the device and my SD card is missing areas 5,6, and 7. I can only see device #4 , on the ASR-10, and Translator.
I'm at a lost cause three Areas/Partitions are missing on my SD card. I have old Screenshots of the start sectors and such on my computer when I did my first format of the SD card, however, I have no Idea how to punch in the information. I tried, hit save. It still only shows one Device #4 . Thank you

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search